Self-realization & Self-actualization

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm

In our teachings of the Gnostic Path and Christian Kabbalah we often speak of the ‘actualization’ and ‘realization’ of the soul in Messiah; hence, the play of Self-realization and Self-actualization. It needs to be understood that these two terms are not synonymous, but speak of two distinct developments or aspects in the full embodiment of the soul unified with the Messiah and the Holy Shekinah, Holy Spirit.

Self-realization and self-actualization are, of course, completely interconnected. Self-realization indicates conscious union with the Divine, and the full embodiment of the Divine Presence, or Messianic Consciousness; and as we know there can be a spiritual realization or supernal realization, the former corresponding with intimate nearness to the Divine and states of cosmic consciousness, the latter corresponding with oneness with the Divine and full Messianic Consciousness, supernal, supramental. Thus, ‘Self-realization’ indicates a state of enlightenment, more or less, and full Self-realization is a state of complete enlightenment and liberation.

There can be, and are, modes of self-actualization apart from Self-realization; something of inner aspects of the soul embodied and manifest in life, and something of the works and mission of the soul being accomplished. Yet, any greater self-actualization is dependent upon Self-realization, spiritual or supernal, for the greater spiritual works and ultimate fruition of the mission of souls can be accomplished only through the experience of Self-realization.

Understand, there can be the attainment of stations and states corresponding with Self-realization and only a partial self-actualization. As an example, as we know, a prophet, apostle or holy tzaddik, is completely interconnected with their spiritual community, and likewise with the time and place they are incarnate, and events in the unenlightened society that surrounds them. The state of their community, their retinue, their spiritual companions, of course, especially determines the extent to which they can reveal the Divine Presence they embody, engage the array of spiritual powers of that Divine Presence, and transmit to others the spiritual power of their realization; hence, the various spiritual and material works they can do, and so their ‘self-actualization.’ Basically speaking, self-actualization corresponds with spiritual and material actions, works, manifest in this world. In this regard you may understand that the self-actualization of a holy tzaddik is significantly dependent upon their community, and events transpiring around them, whether auspicious or inauspicious. If and when there is an auspicious manifestation of community, retinue, companions - their companions embodying a greater spiritual realization, so they can engage in a greater revelation and action of the Divine Presence, greater spiritual and material works, and so a greater self-actualization; if they labor in inauspicious conditions in community and events transpiring in their generation, however, their self-actualization may be limited, naturally so.

In this light we might recall what is said in the Holy Kabbalah about Enoch, that he reached into the station of supernal Self-realization, even into the station of Messiah, but at that time, in that generation, there was no soul in the world able to receive the full Light Transmission, the full transmission of the power of his realization, and therefore God took him up in divine rapture, and he was translated into Archangel Metatron, set above all other angels, supernal, spiritual and celestial. Essentially, though embodying supernal realization the conditions were not present in the world around him for self-actualization; nevertheless, though, his supernal realization came to fruition, and as we know in the end-of-days he will return as one of two ‘witnesses’ - great prophets.

In this, perhaps, you may understand that Self-realization depends upon the Holy One and the Holy Spirit - the grace and mercy of God, and not any outward, external conditions, or what other choose to do or not do choose to do; but self-actualization, on the other hand, does depend, more or less, on the events transpiring, what others choose to do or not do, and various outward, external conditions. This is not to say that those who abide in supernal Self-realization might not engage in all manner of great spiritual works in secret, and powerful interventions through the inner dimensions, but their ‘visible’ works in the world may be limited, and so their ‘self-actualization’ restricted.

In this regard we might consider Adonai Yeshua, proclaiming the Gospel in Nazareth, his own hometown; not being well received by them he performed no healings, exorcisms or wonders. The necessary conditions for such revelations of the Divine Presence, or movements of the Holy Spirit, were not present among the people there.

I pray that this might give you some insight of what the teachings mean by ‘realization’ and ‘actualization,’ and awareness of the distinction between these terms in our teachings.

In closing I can say, however, that the natural aim of any prophet, apostle or holy tzaddik is full Self-realization and Self-actualization; and this is exactly what was unique in the lives of Yeshua and Mirya, the coming of the Messiah - full supernal realization and actualization, such as had never transpired with the prophets who came before them. Praise God for such Divine Grace!

As we pray for the spiritual and supernal realization of souls, let us pray also for their self-actualization - the full manifestation of the Divine Presence and Power embodied in them in this world! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Bevan

Re: Self-realization & Self-actualization

#2 Postby Bevan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:04 am

Shabbat Shalom Tau and Anointed Community!

Human psychology has glimpsed dimly at the human need of self-actualization, but the Spiritual Wisdom Traditions have seen clearly this embodied experience. I am grateful to have these words to learn the deeper meanings and to understand the importance of mystical community in this inner process.

... the Shekinah of Messiah - Holy Bride, is not isolate to Mirya, but rather is manifest as Anointed Community, the ‘Body of Messiah,’ and ‘Bride of Messiah,’ according to the scriptures. In this regard we may consider the third point of refuge of the inner sanctuary within the threefold sanctuary - the Holy Bride, Shekinah, which is the inner dimension of Anointed Community.

In considering the Threefold Sanctuary of Faith (http://www.sophian.org/teaching%20archives.html) in relation to self-actualization and community, what is spoken of is the energetic level behind the physical form. In this mystical space, there is no aloneness for I am joined to Gnostic Circles and Anointed Community through the Holy Bride, the Matrix of Light. Along with Tzaddik and the Great Angel (our Partzuf), I have all the inner resource I need to go deeper and deeper still. What should my response be to this knowledge?

I hear a couple things. First, a call for the Holy One to send Righteous Ones into the world and that these might be recognized as Revealers of the Light within all creation. Second, I see my own role in the world is to be a Child of Light, taking up my portion and the power given me in my self-realization to serve others, delighting and playing in the Holy Mother's lap.

With these spiritual teachings, I am sensing Ephesians 2:19-22 in a new way:
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

I no long hear this passage idealized as a heaven separate from earth. I understand the building of this Holy Temple within requires the Grace of the Holy One in our Self-Realization and the conditions and our choices in our incarnation in the process of Self-Actualization.

Come, Holy Bride and Bridegroom! May many remember who they are in the Great Harvest and so be prepared to serve in the Great Apocalypse!

Bevan.

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”