The Parable of the Wedding Feast

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Claudia

The Parable of the Wedding Feast

#1 Postby Claudia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 am

Greetings Teacher Malachi:

What is the message of the parables of the wedding banquet and the man who comes to the banquet without a wedding garment?

I read the parable of the wedding feast in Matthew 22. Jesus tells the story of a king’s wedding feast for his son as a way to understand the kingdom of heaven.

The preparations for the feast completed, the king instructs his servants to gather all of the invited guests. No one appears. Not wanting to embarrass his son, the king asks his servants to go to the crossroads and invite everyone they see to come to the feast. Eventually, the hall is filled with guests, most of them, no doubt, confused even as to the name of the bride and groom. These people are the new Israel, and they fill the banquet hall.

And then, at that point in the story, Matthew added another parable, when the king came into the banquet, he finds a man not properly dressed for the celebration, and he said to him, “Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding robe?”

The unexpected guess, of course, was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind his hand and foot and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen.”

It sounds quite strange for me; for how could those unexpectedly herded into the wedding hall from the streets wear the expected clothing, which all but one of them seem to do?

The footnotes of USCCB, the web-site of United States Catholic Conference Bishops, identify a wedding garment as a symbol of repentance.

To change our heart and mind is the condition for entrance into the kingdom (Matthew 3:2; 4:17), which must be continued in a life of good deeds (Matthew 7:21-23).

What is the Gnostic’s message?

Blessings and Shalom!

Claudia

know this

#2 Postby know this » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 am

that story is really interesting, and i guess it has several levels of meaning and interpretation. from my current perspective i view this parable as
an invitation to start the clean-up of our present-day-personality.

the wedding garment is symbolic for the condition of our higher bodies, meaning that the whiter and cleaner those bodies are, the more it looks like a wedding garment.

if we express "dark" emotions or thoughts, we darken our bodies and that makes us unable to take part in the heavenly banquet.

it is up to us to start cleaning up the shades of negativity, that envelope and cloud our true inner beeing.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Light-Vestures

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Salutations in the Light of the Messiah!

Yes, indeed friend, you seem to have hit the mark regarding Gnostic thought of the garments for the wedding feast – these are the “light-vestures” or “body of light,” the root of which, as you say, lies in a mastery of the mind and desire-energy; avoiding negativity and generating what is positive, good and true, and is the essential foundation for the actual generation of the body of light.

I’m reminded of a teaching from the Gospel of St. Philip:

“You don’t see the king naked” – on one hand this may imply the glory of God, which is as a garment to God; but on the other hand this could imply oneself and the generation of the body of light, the Solar Body of Resurrection.

It is also interesting from a Gnostic perspective that the parable is of a wedding feast – the “Wedding Feast” is a common term among Christian Gnostics for the Holy Eucharist, and it is the principle term for it in our tradition; this parable, then, may also allude to how we are to approach this most sacred and holy ceremony in Christian tradition, that distinctly, all who are present have a role to play, and the responsibility for the effective consecration of the bread and wine is not that of an ordained priest alone, but all initiates present.

Of course, once the open secret of the body of light is known and understood, this may allude to a significantly more powerful way to celebrate the Wedding Feast, rather like some of the Tantra Yogas one might find in Vajrayana, for example; hence, a way in which the Wedding Feast may become and actual vehicle of spiritual empowerment or light transmission, or an entrance into the Gnostic experience.

May we all have light-vestures to wear when we meet Adonai on that Holy Day; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

be ready for the Bridegroom!

#4 Postby Marion » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 am

Shalom All!

This is serendipitous, as I was just reading and contemplating this very passage not too long ago!

The placement of this passage in scripture is very interesting Because in the previous chapter, Yeshua finds the people buying and selling in the temple and he overturns the tables and rebukes them saying "It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer but you are making it a den of thieves.'" (Matthew, 21:13) Here, Yeshua Messiah finds guests to the Wedding feast that are not properly attired. That is to say, they no not have the right intentions. Instead of seeking the glorification of God they are seeking the glorification of themselfs and give offering to the God of greed and worldly power. Then Yeshua travels to another city, and has a conversation with some of the Chief priests and Elders in which he tells them 3 parables. This parable of the Wedding guests being the third.

I was struck in this parable that it says, "The slaves went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad..." Matthew 22:10) it says BOTH good and bad. Why do they call both the good and the bad? This reminds me of how Yeshua says that he has not come for the heathly, but the sick and the lame. He hangs out with lepers and tax collectors, people that society would deem to be "bad". I get an image of Yeshua Messiah going in to the hell realms and liberating all who will listen there. And perhaps that is what is happening here? all have listened except for one apparently, who has not repented but carries dark thoughts and intentions. Earlier in the Parable we learn that the other wedding guests did not come because they had darkness in them. For it talks about how, when the master sent his slaves out to fetch the wedding guests that they refused to come and some even murdered the slaves! So, the master purifies the space by banishing all of the murderers and their respective realms. Once the space is purified, he goes out to call others. But their is still residue of the old in the form of this one man who forgot his wedding robe!

I have a question about this. What is this outer darkness that is spoken of? could we see it as the outer rung of the hell realms? Also, What is the meaning of binding him "hand and foot" ? does this ensure that he cannot do anything (with his hands) so as to inflict harm, nor go any where (with his feet) ?

This parable reminds me very much of light bearers in the world. They come and many are called. But few hear the call and few remember a wedding robe, and fewer still are those that can sit at the feast table in company with the master. Elsewhere in Matthew Yeshua tells us that we must always be ready for the coming of the bridegroom, we must always carry our wedding robe with us in case. That is, "Repent for the kingdom of God has come near!" It is a call to tend to the spiritual life and practice with all of our heart, all of our mind and all of our possessions. And perhaps he is saying too, that if we act as if the bridegroom is already here, putting on our wedding robe, then this will set up the necessary conditions for that to happen.

May the Peace and Grace of our Adonai Messiah be upon all beings! Shalom.

Marion

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”