The "Common Man" & Christ Consciousness

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The "Common Man" & Christ Consciousness

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:35 am

On this day of Winter Solstice a contemplation arises in my mind concerning the "common" man or woman, for in speaking of the human soul Christian mystics have said that it is holy. In fact it has been said that the inmost part of the soul is indwelt by God and Godhead, and that this inmost part is so holy that only God and Godhead can enter, not even the highest among the angels of God can enter into it. Called Yechidah, the divine spark, the inmost part of the soul is an emanation of the Light of the Infinite (Or Ain Sof), which is to say an emanation of God and Godhead, the Holy One. Aware of this, how can I call any man or woman "common"?

Of course, this divine spark is the Christos in the soul, and as the inmost part of the soul, is the very essence and nature of the soul of consciousness. The prologue of the Gospel of St. John speaks of the Christos as the Light emanated at the outset of Genesis, which is the life of all creatures, thus not only is this Light the divine spark in the human creature, but in all creatures - all of which are within the Human One. The Gospel of St. Thomas makes this clear when in saying 77 when Yeshua says, "Split a piece of wood. I am there. Lift up the stone and your will find me there." Aware of this, can I even call the smallest creature or a stone "common"?

What is the nature of Christ consciousness? It is the awareness of the Sacred Unity underlying all things, yet more it is an awareness of the unity of all things to their Source - that all creatures are akin to a quantum manifestation of the One, and in all creatures we meet the One, from the least to the greatest of creatures. Indeed, we must say that God and Godhead transcends creatures and creation, yet God is everywhere within creatures and creation.

Quite naturally, the supernal or Messianic consciousness is a development of consciousness beyond the body, for this consciousness transcends any single unit of consciousness; likewise, being within yet beyond the body it is a continuity of awareness throughout all states of existence. It may be called a state of pure radiant awareness or non-dual gnostic awareness; the awareness of oneness and multiplicity without contradiction. Yet, for all of these fancy ideas, and however lofty the term "Christ consciousness" may sound, it is an awakening to the Pattern-That-Connects, the Sacred Unity underlying all things.

It is so simply a little child can understand it, as much as any "common" man or woman; so simple Lord Yeshua said we would do best to become as little children in order to look and see this simple Truth/Light.

Perhaps what obstructs our awakening the most is the thought that the enlightenment experience or Christ consciousness is something far removed from us, or something extraordinary or uncommon - perhaps the truth is that it is the most common state, transpiring all of the time, only we may tend not to notice it because we have not learned to look and see, or to listen and hear.

On this Day of the Feast of the Divine Incarnation it seems good to remember that the purpose of the Divine incarnation is to uplift and illuminate the "common" man and woman - all human beings, and through humanity, all God's creatures.

Yeshua was a most common man, and yet so extraordinary! Praise God!

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#2 Postby Rebekah » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:31 am

It seems that this is the very essence of the "good news" of the Gospel!

This divine spark, this Christ consciousness, is so close and so inherently a part of us that we tend to overlook it, seeking it outwardly as if it is something to be attained!

The realization that this is within us and everything in creation certainly speaks of the nature of this "good" earth, regardless of the evil and darkness that may appear to dualistic mind. It is perfect as it is!

Perhaps Yeshua was alluding to this inmost essence when he said, "Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

An Integral Consciousness

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 pm

Greetings Rebekah!

The Gospel of St. Philip says something interesting about admixed and dark forces, like the Kabbalah it tells us that they are a secret operation of the Holy Spirit. Likewise, in speaking about Christ the gospel says, "In himself Christ has everything, be it human or angel or mystery or the Father." The implication is that all things have a role to play in the fulfillment of the Divine will and kingdom, even that which we would call "evil." Accordingly, it has been said by some Mekubalim that evil, too, shall be redeemed - all sparks shall ultimately be uplifted and restored to the awareness of the Sacred Unity.

It is certainly true that in the present human condition relatively few might experience the fullness of supernal or Messianic consciousness, but that does not mean it is far removed, only that humankind as yet is early in its evolution. It also does not mean that it cannot be known in peak experiences, which we then labor to live by and thus enact a conscious evolution towards the Truth and Light made known in our experience. Exactly what the "fullness of supernal or Messianic consciousness" is is a good question, for it is the evolution of consciousness into the One-Without-End (Ain Sof). It is akin to what modern scientists are discovering about the physical universe - constantly speeding up in what seems to be an endless expansion. This is reflected in the Kabbalistic term for the enlightenment experience, Mochin Gadult, which means "Big Mind." Where does Big Mind end?

Mochin Gadlut is a mind that is inclusive, not exclusive - an Integral Consciousness; and such is the very nature of Christ consciousness. This is reflected in the teachings of Yeshua concerning love and compassion; the Son of the Human One who comes not to judge but to redeem, which is to say to heal and make whole, to restore to the awareness of Sacred Unity. It would seem that the the more we evolve towards Christ consciousness, the more consciousness expands and becomes inclusive, the more a very different vision and understanding of what is transpiring here emerges - one quite distinct from the typical dualism of our ordinary mental being.

You mention a saying that was on my mind as I was writing the above post - this "perfection of the Father." It does not seem that the Lord would ask us to do something we were not able to do - thus this perfection must be possible. Lord Yeshua also says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." Somehow this seems to relate to this "perfection of the Father."

What if the world is sacred as it is and there is nothing truly "wrong" with it, but rather everything is transpiring just as it is "suppose to"? What if it is all part and pacel of the creative evolutionary process?

Perhaps assumptions that things are "supposed" to be different and all of the judgments that follow are obstructions to the conscious evolution that can bring real growth and change - perhaps we often suffer from old religious paradigms of the Fall and original sin and such, and this clouds the vision of our true Divine Potential. After all, our preconceptions, preconditions and expectations determine our view of the world and serve to shape the world. What if View itself is a great manifesting power? If that is the case, then what we choose to envision becomes important - if nothing else, it certainly shapes our thoughts, speech and actions, which determine our experience in this life and in the next life.

In this sense, view and faith seem intimately connected. I can't help but be reminded of what Lord Yeshua often said following the healing of people: "Your faith has healed you." Does this mean a shift in one's paradigm has healed or a shift in one's view has healed? If Christ consciousness is the ultimate healing of our soul and spirit, does this imply the need for a new paradigm of higher consciousness? As one sage said, "If not now, when?"

This seems to me to be the meaning of spiritual hope in Christ, and as has been said, spiritual hope is an active spiritual aspiration. The potential for the dawn of a New Age and New Consciousness seems quite clear, but equally clear is the need for a very different View and active effort to manifest that Truth and Light. -This is the Wisdom of the Holy Bride-

Given the Feast of the Mother and Child I can't help but contemplate the darkness of the womb and the darkness in the world, and the teachings that the enitre matrix of creation and the play of forces that forms it is the womb of the Great Mother birthing souls to the Infinite and Eternal. Of this womb I shall say, "It is blessed."

This is the contemplation that flowed from reading your post...

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Coop

#4 Postby Coop » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:19 pm

Hello Everyone.

Your posts remind me of something very fundamental in the spiritual life, and that is the practice of living inwardly, without judgment. Pure Radiant Awareness is a natural state, not one we conjure up by exerting our will, but one that can be recognized when we cease doing, cease projecting expectations, cease trying to make ourselves worthy.

It's when we impose judgment on anything that we are then led astray by our opinions, away from our fundamental nature -- which is simply being, as an emanation of the source of everything.

Which leads me to recognize the wisdom of two of our most basic spiritual practices, silent witness and primordial meditation, for they bring us to the heart of who we are. Without judgment, as practiced in Silent Witness, we can see who we are. Without doing, as practiced in Primordial Meditation, we can be who we are. It's a matter of not being diverted by the dreamlike waves spun by the demiurgos, and keeping our attention focused instead on what is true.

It's good to be reminded that what we seek is really the most common thing there is: our natural way of being as emanations of the Father, which is hidden only by our assumptions that we don't see it, that it isn't with us and that we have to attain it.

Blessings, Friends.

Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

childof light

confusion

#5 Postby childof light » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:58 am

I am so grateful to have been led to Tau Malachi's work, The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas and the writings on this web site. I have been seeking for many years for those who understand that which I "know" and know have a deeper awareness than myself.

In my myriad readings over the past 30+ years I have recently come across works that question the traditional name of our Messiah, the spelling of His Hebrew name and the use of the Name of Our Father.

I realize that the Word is written on my heart. I also want to be respectful and careful in the use of titles, names and uses of those names so that I my words and my actions are one in the same. The main work on this topic is "Come Out of Her My People" and speaks of the pagan useage of "Jesus", "Holy", "God", etc. The bottom line is that just about every word is of pagan derevation which is absurd, but I am not sure what to do with this information.

Please guide me in this area of confusion. In reading the words given to you (all postings on this page)I have come to respect and honor the words you are bringing to those who are seeking the Path and the Light. Even though IT is within me, sometimes I need a "Way Shower" to give clarity in the midst of the my confusion and limited understanding.

I am most honored that you would assist me with this question and my quest as I live, grow and real-ize that which I AM.

Blessings, Chiid of Light[/u][/url]

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Ageless Wisdom

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:49 am

Greetings Child of Light!

The Holy Spirit works secretly through Nature to failitate the Divine Intention, and the Holy Spirit works within all peoples, and within the whole of creation, laboring in the evolution of consciousness to the Highest of Life. Divine Illumination is not exclusive to any single wisdom tradition, but, in truth, we are speaking about Ageless Wisdom - Mother Wisdom has spoken through many and diverse peoples.

The wisdom of the Cosmic Christ is this: whether Christ, Krishna, Buddha, or White-Buffalo-Cow-Woman, or by any other name we might speak of the Light-presence and Light-power, all are faces of the Cosmic Christ.

There is no doubt that Judaism drew upon ancient wisdom traditions which came into being before it, and there is no doubt that early Christianity also drew upon ancient wisdom traditions predating it - as in any field of human study there is an evolution and refinement of ideas, teachings and practices in spirituality (or at least we hope there is). Likewise, that Truth and Light into which we gaze is one and the same, though we all speak of it according to our own symbolic language.

Perhaps we can say that what sages of ancient wisdom traditions taught and the prophets saw and spoke, Lord Yeshua embodied and enacted. In this he appears unique, but then what all Light-bearers embody and enact is unique, though it is the same Spirit of Truth.

Sophians are passionately Gnostic Christians, and yet we deeply honor and respect the many and diverse wisdom traditions of the world, and we glean knowledge, understanding and wisdom from many sources. We experience a deep heart connection with the Mother, Lord Yeshua and Lady Mary, the Magdalene, and yet we see the Anointed within and behind many and diverse appearances - we honor the Cosmic Christ, the universal nature of the Spirit and Truth.

It seems that wisdom traditions are simply a mystical and symbolic language through which Truth and Light are spoken, and are vehicles for the realization of that Truth and Light in human consciousness. Our standard of measure is this: Does it lead to Higher Consciousness or Divine Illumination, does it uplift, enlightened and liberate, does it teach a path to Self-realization, does it advance the spiritual development and evolution of the soul-being? If it does, then that teaching is good and true.

It is like this topic under which you chose to post, Christ Consciousness is near all people, for it is the very nature of the human soul and human destiny - thus, by way of the principle of evolution, it will seek to emerge in many and diverse ways before being fully established in humanity on earth. It is just that Nature slowly savors Her evolution and she labors in an integral fashion as She develops and evolves towards the Most High.

Perhaps you would enjoy reading the works of Matthew Fox. Two come to mind: One River, Many Wells; and Coming of the Cosmic Christ. Both are quite delightful.

Indeed, the truth is in our hearts, but the nature of true education is that it draws out that which is within us - and the purpose of authentic wisdom traditions is our spiritual education. The exchange of sparks between people is good, as is the play of receiving teachings and initiation.

May the Mother Spirit instruct us in Her love, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”