Embodiment

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Yonah

Embodiment

#1 Postby Yonah » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Greetings and blessings in the name of our Mother!

As you can probably tell from my posts recently, my contemplations are around our path to enlightenment while we are in the world – Incarnation and ego have been very strong in these contemplations and now the idea of embodiment is coming forward. Embodiment, obviously, has a connection to incarnation, but there are some specifics that I wish to explore.

I remember speaking with Tau Malachi about some struggles I had with starting to come to terms with being comfortable in my own skin. He made me laugh when he said “well, you know it is about em-body-ment!”. It was such an obvious statement, but also extremely important and actually a deep contemplation.
As we discussed in the thread on incarnation, it is in the world and in a body that we do the work toward our enlightenment and liberation. Tau Malachi also discussed the shadem and some specifics of their experience without bodies! But, I think there is much to contemplate on the path to enlightenment and our bodies beyond just being incarnate.

I spent a lot of time in my youth not being happy with my body and struggling with physical illness. I was never comfortable in my skin and felt like I couldn’t wait to be out of a body. Early on my gnostic experience I felt that a body (and ego) were something to shed once we reached our enlightenment and liberation. I now know that this is not the case...

There are many falsehoods that I found I “thought” would occur when I reached something of enlightenment. I’ve found this is the case for many early on their path. We somehow think we will become someone completely different after the enlightenment experience with no “negative” emotions, no likes or dislikes, no disease or physical issues, and there will no longer be anything that bothers us. The truth is that enlightenment and liberation comes to us while we are still in body and we still have an ego, so we are not becoming someone different, but instead more of who we truly are.

A great example of these principles is Yeshua. Toward the end of his incarnation he is in the Garden of Gethsemane with the disciples. He knows exactly what is about to happen and that he will suffer horribly in body. We find him praying three times that if it is possible, for “this cup to be taken from me”. He is open to the Father’s will, but he also would prefer not to suffer. While he is praying he begins to sweat blood. This is a medical condition that only occurs under deep stress where the blood pressure goes super high and capillaries burst under the skin. This shows deep distress and concern along with a physical condition that occurs because the body is under stress. If Yeshua has preferences, can be stressed, and suffers bodily, why would we not do the same when we come into being?

Through the teachings of this Tradition I have learned that enlightenment is about being us, but us in God instead of us in ego. The six essentials (cleaving to Risen Messiah, cleaving to Tzaddik, cleaving to anointed community, gifted worship, hitbodedut, and good works) are the root of how we can find who we are in God. As we follow these essentials we can bring our gifts and interests into the movement and find what is ours to do in the Body of Christ.

I would love to take this further and hear what others feel about embodiment.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Embodiment

#2 Postby sheryl » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Shabbat Shalom, Bishop Yonah and friends!

I love what you are drawing out about embodiment. It brings to mind a common teaching that enlightenment is not getting out of here or going anywhere, but being fully here! And this means being fully here in our physical bodies! It is probably not uncommon for those seeking to the walk the path doing so to escape something: physical bodies, personality weaknesses, work, etc. But we find that enlightenment requires that we face it all.

Elder Gideon said something on the new thread on Yonah that seems to fit here:

The faster one runs from something, the sooner they run into it.

There is a teaching surrounding the story of raising Lazarus from the dead that comes to mind:

So the sisters sent a message to Jesus, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” But when Jesus heard it, he said, “This illness does not lead to death; rather it is for God’s glory, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

The teaching being recalled is that Glory is Embodiment. Wow. Elder Gideon often describes the journey as organic. Thus it feels appropriate to say that embodiment of the Divine Attributes of God is an organic process, a natural process that sometimes requires us to get down in the dirt and get dirty. Which very much speaks to being comfortable in one's skin.

My gratitude to Mother and community for this delightful conversation!

May all beings become comfortable in their own skin.

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Yonah

#3 Postby Yonah » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Greetings Sister and all who are reading this!

Thank you Sheryl for taking this contemplation further. Beautiful insights!

Your comment about being fully here makes me think of the popular phrase “being all in”. I never quite got the point of saying that until this discussion. In this context, it really is about all of us being in the process of our enlightenment and liberation.

I love how you brought the story of Lazarus into the discussion. So applicable. I have also heard Tau Malachi and Elder Gideon talking about embodying the divine attributes. Getting in the dirt and getting dirty is so experiential. We do have to get into the world (even though we are passers-by) and sometimes deal with some pretty messy stuff.

This makes me think of Yeshua saying “Take up your cross and follow me.” If we look at what Yeshua and Magdalene did at the crucifixion we see that he took the karma of the world and created a talisman for those who cleave to be break the ties that bind. Isn’t taking up our cross the process of taking our physical and emotional struggles, lifting them up, and then using them to help others who are struggling with the same issues? So, just as Yeshua embodied the Christos by bringing it fully into incarnation, so must we!

I then begin to contemplate the Divine Attributes, the energy of the Sefirot, and how we actually bring that into our physical body? Tau Malachi has quoted “a hand becomes a hand and an eye becomes an eye”. So, something of this energy and these attributes are not just spiritual but brought into the physical form we hold. How does this play out for any of you? How do you see these attributes being embodied!

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Misty

#4 Postby Misty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Shalom Loves <3 <3 <3,

This post is really exciting for me to find today as I've noticed hints of this message coming forward in the continuum we've been cultivating in Magdalene Circle lately. I love how bits and pieces of the Pleroma of Light are constantly trickling into our consciousness and making God's love manifest through wonderful teachings like the one Bishop Yonah has shared today. Something that is being revealed to work on in my heart is taught to us through pages of Pistis Sophia.

Our Adonai Yeshua was a great teacher in these pages and I see a teaching of embodiment even after his Christhood. Yeshua in life did great works on making his body become an earthly manifestation of the Light Continuum. Once He had risen in the Light body, He came back to teach his disciples even more, but He still needed to ascend into the heavenly realms to retrieve garments of light. Upon his return to teach secret teachings to his disciples He shared something of those garments with each one gifting something of the Light Continuum and of the Christ consciousness to them. We see the different states of consciousness his disciples are in and see their struggles to hold the truths he teaches, he still gifts them with this great knowledge and great love. In seeing this, that our Adonai without judgement gave freely of the teachings to these people even though they weren't in a state of perfection, How can we deny the embodiment in ourselves because we struggle in/with our body? In my heart I feel this is a great example of accepting that we are in a constant state of imperfection that is always working on being a better us in God.

I thank you Bishop Yonah for bringing this teaching of embodiment to us because you have really opened my eyes of self acceptance. I pray if more light can be shed on this that our Adonai speaks through us in new revelations.

Love You All and hope this made some sort of sense I am really moved by this and my heart is swollen with love and peace.

May the Light and Blessings of our Adonai The Risen Messiah touch y'all,
<3 <3 <3 Misty

Yonah

#5 Postby Yonah » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Greetings Misty!

There has been a subtle undercurrent of embodiment coming in what Ma has shared in Magdalene Circle and much of what we are seeing in the forums, also. I love how you have called out that Divine Light is continually entering our consciousness through teachings and how this is a manifestation of God’s love. This Tradition, Tau Malachi’s teachings, and the insights I see in these forums are so beautiful and certainly God’s love manifest by entering our consciousness and changing us. The whole point of creation is for the creation of the human one and for he/she to return to God in conscious unity. That is what is happening through the teachings of our Tradition – an outpouring of God’s love to bring us into our enlightenment and liberation.

And this is a discussion of embodiment. You are right that Pistis Sophia is a great example of Yeshua Messiah embodying the Light Presence. He shows it in his incarnation (especially after his Baptism and Christhood) and then even after resurrection. He does embody while in a body of light and no longer an earthly body. What is beautiful about this is that he embodies while in a body of flesh and then while in a body of light. This is the Gospel message… this is what all our practice is about… We strive to be in the Kingdom of Heaven while incarnate in our physical body and take that up into our afterlife in a spiritual body. This embodiment is what bring freedom from the gilgulim, but also gives us the love and compassion to choose to come back until all remember.

Your insight into the fact that Yeshua treated people like they were already perfected is a stunning realization. Since He and His Father were One – he saw beings in God’s mind – in their perfection. Isn’t that how we should see our brothers and sisters? That doesn’t mean we don’t always strive to be better… to cleave more fully with God, but it does mean that we see the potential in all beings, knowing that with love, compassion, and time they will become who they truly are.

You bring up a contemplation. Is our embodiment not just about how we see ourselves, but also about how we see others? Maybe it’s about getting out of self and seeing the unity of all – seeing that all are perfect in God, yet, in this place, there is work to be done? I think this is true love and compassion.
What do y’all see in the idea of embodiment? How do we fully embody the light presence? How do we live as our true selves?

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Anna

#6 Postby Anna » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Dear Brother and Sisters,

Thank you for these continuing contemplations on the embodiment! I can't help but spell it a bit differently after reading your posts:
"in-body-ment." Now, the word embodiment is defined by the Bing dictionary as "a tangible or visible expression of an idea or quality." Thus we are really about becoming an expression of God, one that can be perceived by physical senses and one that can be interacted with. The suffix, "ment," speaks of action or a state that comes about through the agency of what comes before the suffix, namely, in this word, being in the body--fully in the body or fully in life here in the world of Asiyah, as has been pointed out so beautifully above. I love how Sister Sheryl draws out that we often start on the path to escape difficulties, only to find that we have to fully face them to make any real progress! That's for sure!

What is coming through very powerfully at this point is that the expression of God in a tangible fashion, or enlightenment, comes through facing and overcoming, with God's grace and power, all obstacles to being truly who we are in God. Any spark that is liberated is gathered into this expression, increasing the expression of God in the world, increasing the opportunities for beings to interact with this tangible expression, increasing opportunities for greater movement into liberation for all beings. This is an amazing contemplation for me and ties in very well with James' exhortation to take joy in all our trials. These trials increase our expression of God for others, bringing greater progress on the path for ourselves and others. This is a joyful contemplation! What a wonderful outcome of facing trials with the Presence of Awareness, remembering our transcendence, keeping our mind on the things of Enlightenment, remembering that God is with us--always.

In this way, I wonder if we are not already in perfection as we continue on the Path of Enlightenment no matter what trials may come up, embracing both progress and apparent regress with joy. This process, this Becoming, is not separate from our Perfection of Being. "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48) The view of perfection, as God sees us, is perfect in itself. Increasing this view in us, fostering and growing this view in our own lives, seems the very perfection we are called to, the perfection of the Father. I think this view is true sight into reality, and facing trials with this view increases our capacity to see what is real, what is true.

May we walk in the Light of the Risen Messiah!
Shalom!
Anna

Yonah

#7 Postby Yonah » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:53 am

Greetings Sister Anna!

What is coming through very powerfully at this point is that the expression of God in a tangible fashion, or enlightenment, comes through facing and overcoming, with God's grace and power, all obstacles to being truly who we are in God.

AMEN!

There isn’t much more to say beyond that. I think you’ve summed this up perfectly.
The only thing I feel led to say is that sometimes we will stumble and fall… we will not overcome for a time. The key is to get back up and keep moving. I know, in my experience, in the past I would miss the mark and then fall into hopelessness. Knowing God is with us always and that once we start on path our completion is guaranteed, we can always have hope and know that any bumps in the road are just temporary.

Thank you all for this beautiful discussion!

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

staroath

#8 Postby staroath » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:11 am

Shalom dear friends!

Also my contemplation these last few days has swirled around the nature of having to deal with any so-called obstacles with skillfull means. As pointed out above a very important skill seems to be the ability to move from the "me" mentality into a experience of "hey, lots of people are going thru these painful feelings and experiences also".

I just love this model prayer from Tau, where a shift is made from this "unpleasant obstacle" that must be eradicated at all costs into let me make a choice to invite in the Holy One and uplift the sparks contained in my difficult or unpleasant trial:

“O Yahweh Elohim, in the place of conflict and division we pray for peace and unification, and the remembrance of Your Living Spirit among us; I pray, please bless so-and-so, and uplift them now, and let Your Spirit move between us, healing us and gathering us into You. Adonai, I pray, let Your Shekinah rest upon us, pacifying anger and hostility, and bringing peace; let Your angels go forth delivering all who are bound up in anger, and bringing the word of Your salvation, Your mercy and compassion, and love. Amen.” In this way negativity can be transformed and become a very positive and powerful prayer, and what otherwise would be a severe distraction or obstruction, becomes an inspiration and a vehicle of prayer. It is all good, there is no distraction in this way!

The key, though, is not to react with attachment or aversion, and to suspend self-judgment, and instead to respond with awareness and an open, spacious heart, embracing all that arises and uplifting it in study and prayer."

I love how this prayer can be modified into embracing just about any personal trial or tribulation- not just anger between indivduals. With " let Your angels go forth delivering all who are bound up in -----, and bringing the word of Your salvation, Your mercy and compassion, and love. Amen.”

Also what has been striking me is this shift from "this obstacle must be eliminated at all costs" (so I can find God) into a study of one's own level of attachment and adversion......with surrender and Grace finding a softening of the need to "fix" into a view of how can this situation be used to uplift others.

Obviously this ties very strongly with recent discourse teachings that a view can be developed in which we see that everything that is occuring in the moment is from the Divine- being presented as a gift this day with the potential for our (and others) illumination contained within any apparent "obstacle".

Love
Star

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”