Joy

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Yonah

Joy

#1 Postby Yonah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Greetings and blessings in the name of the Risen Messiah!

Romans 15:13 - "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

Secret Gospel of Mary 48 - "..... sing and dance and rejoice, for it is to those who abide in joy that the Shekinah comes, and it is through her that you will enter the bridal chamber.”

Psalm 118:24 - "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

This past Shabbat morning I was just waking up and Mother Spirit spoke the word "Joy" in my consciousness. To be truthful I wasn't feeling particular well that morning, so my first thought was "Really?", but Ma said again... "Joy".

This one word changed my outlook for the day. I realized that joy isn't just about how we feel, but it's a choice. We will have pain and grief at times, but in the end we can still have joy. In Western culture we often focus on what is not going well or what we are worried about instead of the huge blessings we have in our life. Most of us have a home, food, loved ones. but more than that we have a God that created this universe with our return built into the very fabric of creation.

Remember that the 3 roots are:
1. Remember Our Transcendence
2. Set Your Mind On Things Above
3. Remember That God Is Always With You

What came to me on Shabbat is that focusing on these three things is an amazing practice. If we can experience this, we can find the joy in all situations. If we remember our transcendence, set our thoughts on what is above, and remember that God is with us always how can not find joy?

My favorite verse in the New Testament, Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.", points to the truth that every obstacle just propels us closer toward who we truly are in Christ.

Life may not be perfect in every way, but we can chose to focus on joy. If you remember the teaching to interpret the dream positively, it can help you to see that even a difficult circumstance can turn out for the good.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

staroath

Re: Joy

#2 Postby staroath » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Shalom!

I think in some ways true Joy can come from apppreciating very simple small "mundane" things.

We can choose to Cultivate Appreciation.

Cultivate like a garden, like growing a plant or a tending a spiritual friendship.

I do agree so much of this is a choice. I can mindlessly have no awareness of my morning ritual of coffee, brushing my teeth etc. or I can say, "look I have a toothbrush and toothpaste and running water! Thank you God!"

How many people do not even have these simple things in this world, or walk MILES to get drinking water everyday?

This has been a great practice and I thank you for reminding me of it. When I can start by being Present in the moment, I think then these little joys and choices we make to appreciate the small things can grow into a deeper sense of WOW! Look at that sunset! Thank you God for all your gifts great and small, how may I serve you?

Seeing God in everything.

Also it seems that it is about being OK when I am in a state of physical pain, anxiety, grief, worry, these are not joyous states for me, but this is how I grow. I know that with God's help I will walk through them for they have always self-liberated in the past by a Merciful Grace that surpasses understanding.

Thanks for great contemplation, would love to see other thoughts.
Star
Last edited by staroath on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marion

#3 Postby Marion » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 am

Thank You Yonah for sharing this wonderful teaching gifted by the Mother Spirit!

I am intrigued by how you said "...I wasn't feeling particular well that morning, so my first thought was 'Really?', but Ma said again... "Joy"." So often in my experience, when I am not feeling well it becomes an excuse for not letting joy in. Joy is a choice, every moment of every day. But see, this is a trick of the evil one because we have this force of will and we can use it to push through difficult circumstances and cultivate joy. In this I believe we cultivate God. We pray to be "a sign of hope for the people in good times and bad." In this I'm hearing that we need to dare to see good where no one else will "God was in this place and I, I did not know it." Genesis 28:16 This becomes a very powerful tool for cultivating faith; in ourselves and others. I think it's important to consider, pain and joy are not mutually exclusive. There can be peace and joy within intense pain; whether it be mental or physical. I think it all has to do with an identification with the Soul of Light. If we're identified with pain and suffering, that is the bestial nature. If with something greater, that is the soul of light. In that moment, if we let that peace and joy in, then we let the light into pain and suffering for all beings.

I'm wondering if there isn't some mystery of the crucifixion and resurrection here. Because what it sounds like is Yeshua let in the light to this suffering and that's why we can say that he did it for the sins of the world, and he bound the demiurge and archons. He brought joy into the depth of the depth, and look for powerful it was! It's not like Yeshua didn't feel pain, because he obviously did or he wouldn't have sweat blood. The power in it though was that he felt all and overcame all. When he came back from the dead, he didn't dwell on the pain. Instead he preached a gospel of Truth, of Hope and Joy for the people and land.

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Brother Brian

#4 Postby Brother Brian » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:38 am

Shalom

Thank you Mother Spirit for this reminder. This week has been challenging physically and it's easy to get into a state of consciousness that we truly do not want. It brings the contemplations up of everytime we are not feeling well that we do have a choice to cultivate joy or wallow in sorrow. We have so much to be thankful for and sometimes we can forget this like Sister Star bringing up the ease of a glass of water that we all enjoy here in the states. Sister Marion your contemplation brings to mind that our ancestors had many challenges with health and not any of the great luxeries we experience but yet look how much more drawn inward to God they were. I love the teaching in that Psalms Bishop Yonah "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

May we keep our hearts and minds on what is good and joyful no matter what the circumstances may be!

Shalom

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Shalom Friends!

Thank you for this thread and for these thoughts on joy!

I love the insight that you shared, Bishop Yonah, in connecting the Three Roots with joy.

It comes to mind that joy is a vehicle of kavvanah and devekut, it is the energy that directs and focuses our thoughts. So that when we direct our thoughts, say in remembering our transcendence, in setting our mind on things that are above, and remembering that God is with us, we are invoking the Shekinah, who is Joy Itself.

May all beings abide in Joy!

Sheryl

Yonah

#6 Postby Yonah » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you friends!!

You've all brought out some really beautiful insights into this thread.

Sister Star, it is amazing how we, as Americans, forget all the little things that others may not have. Many of you know that I've travelled to India for work. I've seen a family of 5 living in a 1 room hut with no running water, not electricity. But.. they are somehow happy. The other thing that is amazing is that they are immaculate and take care of themselves and their home with an amazing joy. A few years ago I saw a woman sweeping the concrete out in front of her hut and she had the biggest smile I have ever seen on a human being. I'm not saying we should give up the comfort we have in our lives, but knowing that we have family, community, Tradition, Tau, and our El Elyon in our lives, we do have the ability to find amazing joy within everything else happening.

Sister Marion, What a great insight about the crucifixion and resurrection. We know that Yeshua sweated blood at the Garden and asked the Father three times to take the cup from him, but when it wasn't taken, he went forward knowing that God was with him. He also told the disciples that "this temple will be torn down and rebuilt in 3 days" so he knew that the cross was coming, but he kept doing what he was called to.

Brother Brian, Praying for your health. That is a great Psalm because if we can remember that Adonai made every day, rejoicing is possible. I know we will have pain and we will have grief, but I do believe we can get through anything and find joy in the journey.

Sister Sheryl, What a great teaching to bring into this. You are so right that joy is the vehicle of kavvanah and devekut. Without joy I doubt we will have the ability to generate much passion, focus, or cleaving. On the other hand, what spiritual forces are we connecting to if we are finding no joy in our life? It's a great question, isn't it?

Thank you all,
Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”