Dunamis, agapé, sóphroneó

Moderator: Brother Christopher

BrandonLw

Dunamis, agapé, sóphroneó

#1 Postby BrandonLw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Dunamis, agapé and sóphroneó

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Let our hearts be glad, for God's way is a way of fullness. I encountered this line in 2 Timothy while listening to the gospels the other day preparing for a trip and it resounded in its clarity.

We are not given to a spirit of fear, or lack, or unworthiness.

We are given a spirit of dunamis: a power arising from natural state, an integrity that manifests wonders, mystery, wonder-working, signs: power through God's ability.

We are given a spirit of agapé: benevolence and deep satisfaction, a joy in our good company as companions, a joy in the good company of the Lord, a spiritual wholeness, a guidance toward transcendence, a teacher to student, a student to teacher, in that mysterious joining of God encountering God.

We are given a spirit of sóphroneó: sound mind, supportive balance, hitbodedut, meditation and practice, right action, healing and Shalom.

If we see lack in the world, let us bring what we see lacking. If we are troubled by the world, let us ask if are thoughts are where we wish them to be. If the world is violent and angry, perhaps it needs ones to walk in the spirit of dunamis, agapé and sóphroneó. God so loved the world, so agapé-d the world.

These are the teachings I am grateful for of late.

God be with you,

shalom.

Yonah

Re: Dunamis, agapé, sóphroneó

#2 Postby Yonah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Greetings Brother Brandon!

Thank you for this contemplation. I think this is especially powerful on the day of our Feast of John the Baptist. Based on Elder Sarah’s discourse, the word of the year, and the energy moving on this day that we need to be reminded that we are strong and loved. I feel that we are being called to step out and be who we truly are in God. This means we need to realize how powerful we really are.

I’m reminded of the baptism of Yeshua. Yeshua approaches John for Baptism. John at first balks at the idea, but when Yeshua tells him that he must, John relents. It seems that Yeshua is coming to the Jordan to start really kick off his journey as Messiah. He is literally walking to his destiny by choosing to see follow his calling. John also realizes that he is given power in the Spirit and that baptizing the Messiah is actually his to do.

I don’t think either could have done these things without knowing what you are reminding us to focus on.

Thank you!
Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Martina

#3 Postby Martina » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:33 am

Greetings Dear Bishop Yonah and Brother Brandon!

I am very grateful for this powerful and beautiful contemplation the Holy One inspired!

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16)

When Yeshua spoke these words to the people that had gathered around him, it seems, he spoke from the remembrance of his own powerful experience of baptism and the complete reorientation it started in him. I love that Bishop Yonah draws this out at this time of the Feast of Yohanan the Baptist:

“I feel that we are being called to step out and be who we truly are in God. This means we need to realize how powerful we really are.”

It is often said that we live in the gospel, so that something of this living experience is in our Tau, our Elders and all in community by the Grace of the Holy One.

I also love Brother Brandon's very practical insights:

“We are given a spirit of dunamis: a power arising from natural state, an integrity that manifests wonders, mystery, wonder-working, signs: power through God's ability.

We are given a spirit of agapé: benevolence and deep satisfaction, a joy in our good company as companions, a joy in the good company of the Lord, a spiritual wholeness, a guidance toward transcendence, a teacher to student, a student to teacher, in that mysterious joining of God encountering God.

We are given a spirit of sóphroneó: sound mind, supportive balance, hitbodedut, meditation and practice, right action, healing and Shalom.”

This does not sound difficult at all, but it reminds me of a child growing up in a very loving environment and becoming aware of its own power through experience and creativity.

I pray that many become empowered to let their light shine!

Gratefully,
Shabbat Shalom,
Martina
Martina

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 am

“For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline” (2 Timothy" 1:6-7).

This is a beautiful contemplation that has been conceived, and this passage seems to run deep. The my quote of this passage is from the New Revised Standard Version and I’m inclined to add it for the expansion of the contemplation.

The “spirit” of which the author is writing is, of course, Ruach Ha-Kodesh, the Holy Spirit, or Christ-Spirit, and this imposition of hands and anointing comes following baptism and corresponds with the communication of the Holy Spirit, and the various gifts of the Spirit. Although communicated through a holy apostle and community, as we know this is a gift we receive from God, all as God ordains and wills. The apostle and community serve as the conscious vehicle of the transmission of the Perfect Light and Holy Spirit. According to this apostle the essential qualities of the Christ-Spirit are power, love and self-discipline, or soundness of mind. This is interesting given that elsewhere in a letter by St. Paul he teaches us that the three essential qualities or gifts of the Spirit are faith, hope and love.

On one level we may say the faith corresponds with power, for Adonai Yeshua speaks of faith ‘moving mountains,’ bringing about various wonders and healings; hence, he teaches us that faith is power. A sound mind, or self-discipline, would correspond with hope. As we know and understand, it requires self-discipline to maintain a vision of hope in good times and bad times, in the face of beauty and danger alike, and this is, indeed, a sound mind – sanity in the Spirit, understanding the bornless nature of our soul, our being, as we are in the Messiah and El Elyon. Love, of course, remains the same in both teachings, and as such, love is emphasized as the principle and most fundamental quality of the Holy Spirit when the two teachings are considered together. In this we may understand that to receive the Holy Spirit, first and foremost, is to experience an opening of the heart, an illumination of the heart; hence, the generation of love and compassion founded upon an awareness of the Sacred Unity underlying all.

When our heart opens, our mind opens also opens, and in this way we receive our enlightenment from Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Now when I contemplate the teaching, “God did not give us a spirit of cowardice,” and then there is the mention of a “spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline,” with self-discipline I cannot help but hear a force of will, and contrasting cowardice I cannot help but hear courage and boldness, full confidence in Christ and God, the True Light.

Power, indeed, implies wonders and healings, and all such works, and it implies the capacity to initiate and empower others, which is the greatest manifestation of wonderworking, or “power.”

“…I remind you to rekindle the gift of God…”
This is important. First, note that we can read “gift of God” very directly, so that what is given is God. Indeed, for to receive the Spirit of God is to receive God, just as the Perfect Master teaches us, “God is Spirit.” The instruction to “rekindle” this gift of God, though, is very significant, for we must continually cultivate the Divine Attributes (Sefirot) in us, and stoke the threefold flame of faith, hope and love, and the fire of passionate cleaving to the Lord, and in this we engage in an activate and dynamic surrender to Divine Grace, the Spirit of God.

Resemblance or likeness is nearness on a spiritual level, therefore the more we cultivate Divine Attributes, the nearer we draw to Christ and God, and the deeper our communion; and in this way it may come to pass that we experience consciousness union with Christ in God, or experience Christ Consciousness, God Consciousness.

In this reminder to “rekindle the gift of God” I can’t help the instruction of the Risen Christ to the church of Ephesus in Revelation to remember the love they had at first, and to return to it, and to do the corresponding works. In this, rekindle can also be read as repent, or return to God, and, indeed, this is an activity that is continual in a play of running and returning in the Spirit.

These were a few thoughts that arose contemplating these two verses that seemed good to share on this Shabbat morning.

May we receive and integrate this most precious gift in full so that we might be able to impart it to others! Amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

BrandonLw

#5 Postby BrandonLw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Secret Gospel of St. Mary Magdalene verse 136:

Mary said, "Knowledge, understanding and wisdom are not superior to love, for these come from union and it is love that unites. One who has love will have knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, but without love, no one is wise. If there is power without love, it is evil and will give birth to evil, but where there is love, power is exercised in wisdom. All good things come by way of love."

With this verse contributed to the discussion, I wonder at the following interpretation:

Can we understand, "where there is love, power is exercised in wisdom." To mean, "where there is love (gift of God, Holy Spirit), power (faith) is exercised (such as through laying on of hands) in wisdom (self-discipline and hope)"?

This seems to instruct in some detail how the right ordering in which one might further rekindle the gift of God, and the mystery of laying on of hands. I have to wonder if this speaks to an inward continuum which allows flows such as laying on of hands?

Further, "...without love, no one is wise." eludes to, "...without the gift of God, no one has soundness of mind." Might this draw out mysteries of this thread, or perhaps might wisdom elude to something more and a different understanding of this verse?

In gratitude, God's mysteries be with us.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

Grace and peace to you from hayyah Yeshua! Amen.

Very well spoken my brother, those are delightful insights.

Yes, indeed, love and compassion compel us to act, and if we have faith, or knowledge and power, we will take action and use it to serve and minister to others, serving the kingdom of heaven and seeking the glorification of God. We will enact material and spiritual good works, and this will include such actions as the laying on of hands for blessing, healing and the communication of the Perfect Light and Holy Spirit.

In this play of good works, of course, we need the wisdom of skillful means and the illumination of the Holy Spirit to know what is to be done, how it is to be done and when it is to be done, and to know what is good to give, the appropriate measure of blessings and helps in each situation or circumstance we encounter.

I rather like the interpretation of “soundness of mind” as wisdom, and in this regard I’m reminded of what St. James encourages us to pray for, hence wisdom – a sound mind, or enlightenment.

If we have love and compassion we cannot help but be zealous for Yahweh, Yeshua, and for the success and happiness of all our relations, or the salvation of all living spirits and souls. If we have the gift of God – the Spirit of God, we will desire to communicate something of that Holy Spirit in any and every way we can, through spiritual and material works.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”