Yeshua-The one who was, is and is to come!

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Marion

Yeshua-The one who was, is and is to come!

#1 Postby Marion » Fri May 15, 2015 9:33 am

Shalom All!

A contemplation arose this morning about the name Yeshua. Yeshua is comprised of the Great Name: Yod-Heh-Vau-Heh with Shin in the middle. One translation of the Great Name is: “one who was, is and will be.” I realized that the same can be said of the messiah. The messiah was before creation, as John teaches: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Then the messiah came in the form of Yeshua, and the messiah is coming in all of us in the second coming. I’ve heard a teaching before that says Yahweh within Yeshua has to do with the Father in the Son and I’m also wondering if this is another reason why there is the name of Yahweh in the name of Yeshua?

Blessings,
Marion
Last edited by Marion on Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

The one who was, is and is to come!

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat May 16, 2015 8:05 am

Shalom Marion:

Lovely question, one which I've only recently been able to appreciate more deeply with a bit more exposure to classical Hebrew.

Who would have thought that the Name of the LORD is really a verb: What Was-What is-What Shall be. This unpronounced verb YHVH is the LORD wherever it appears in English translations entirely capitalized. The spelling of either Yeshua or Yeheshua is a mystically radical interpretation of the name Joshua, the successor of Moses guiding the children of Israel across the Jordan and into the Promised Land.

Joshua's name is itself breathtaking: Yoshua יְהוֹשׁוּעַ: "YHVH is salvation." Formerly, his name was Hoshea, הוֹשֵׁעַ, "Salvation" son of Nun from the tribe of Ephraim (Numbers 13:16) who rose in stature among select men of each tribe appointed my Moses to spy and scout the land of Canaan. The change of his name from Hoshea to Yoshua comes by Moses' ordination (Deuteronomy 32:44) of him as successor.

What's exhaustlessly fascinating about the mystical spelling of Yoshua as יהשוה is the context of his name spoken by Gabriel to Mother Mary, He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David (Luke 1:31). In this Name is the essence of our faith, that a human like us so aligned with the inmost microcosmic parts of his soul that corresponding macrocosmic universes moved through him, in Rumi's perfect words, like an ocean through a drop. This is how I begin to feel the mystery of this Blessed Name Adonai YHShVH Messiah.

What's more is how the very same meaning of YHShVH is chanted by the Hayyot ha-Kodesh in St. John's Apocalypse:

And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and inside. Day and night without ceasing they sing,
‘Holy, holy, holy,
the Lord God the Almighty,
who was and is and is to come
(4:8).

If you see the parallel between the literal meaning of YHVH and the Bornless Messiah whom they're acclaiming, we see a sublime entrance into the mystery of the Name. There seems to be no separating What from Who was, Is, and Is to Come. To chant this in Hebrew is something we've already done in community last fall:

Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh,
YHVH Elohim Shaddai
Hu hayah, Hu hovey, Hu yiheyeh.

I am the Alpha and the Omega’, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty (1:8).

Amen and amen!

Elder Gideon

Marion

Re: Yeshua-The one who was, is and is to come!

#3 Postby Marion » Fri May 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Greetings Elder Gideon!

I'm stuck by what you said: "There seems to be no separating What from Who was, Is, and Is to Come...I am the Alpha and the Omega’, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty (1:8)."

This contemplation of "Who-מי" and "What-מה" sheds new light on the Father and the Son. This shows up in the prologue of the Zohar where "Who" is related to Binah and "What" to Malkut. Another way of saying this is: God is the "Who" and we are the "What". Even the words "who" and "what" point to this; "who" is a question: who? as if to imply no-thing, Ain. Sometimes I look for God and I may not see God because God is so innate to our being. I may ask: Who are you LORD? the LORD answers: I am All and I am beyond All. I hear the question another way; Who isn't God? where can I look that God isn't? Who can I meet, that God does not indwell that person?

"What" has another connotation. It suggests something material, something manifest, I hear emanation. Curiously, "what" is also a question: "What are you?" "What are you not?" Delving into this question is disconcerting because I can never find an answer. I can never find something that I can point to and say "Aha! that is who I am" or "That is who you are." Indeed, it is more of a question: what self is manifesting right now? The self of no self. Perhaps Yeshua as "what" means one who is aware of their "what-ness" Another way I'm hearing this is: One who is aware of the dream-like nature of reality, that their what-ness is constantly changing. I suppose the question then becomes: what "who" is it manifesting from?

The Hebrew words Who-מי and What-מה seem to shed further light on this contemplation. Iv'e heard that מ can represent consciousness, and י is the hand of God. ה a window and is composed of a ר and a י. What I'm hearing is, the consciousness of the hand of God MANIFEST AS the consciousness of the face and hand of God. This implies Yeshua as the face of God shining and giving light and hope to All, and Yeshua doing good works for the people and the Land, living and acting according to the Word of God.

May all come into you, Adonai Yeshua Messiah! Amen.

Blessings and Shalom,
Marion

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Yeshua-The one who was, is and is to come!

#4 Postby sheryl » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Shalom Shabbat Eve, Elder Gideon!

Thank you for offering us this delightful contemplation! The teachings on Who and What are especially fun.

Recently, a teaching was given offering a connection between resh, face, and presence. Tying this in with a contemplation on Who and What, it comes to mind that perhaps we can say that mem yod is pointing to the essence of consciousness, and mem hei (resh yod) pointing to the presence of consciousness? What is transcendent and what is manifest?

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”