didn't know what to say. I thought people were more enlightened than
that."

Dear Brother,

Yes, when coming face-to-face with the energy of prejudice, it often
feels very heavy and dense. Perhaps energetically it is. As an
energy, it beckons us to give in to it, to argue, to take a stand,
to defend our views and beliefs and in effect to partake fully in
channeling prejudice! What can we do? Don't take the bait! For
me, I try not to give in to the urge to argue (with mixed success).
I try to silently pray and bless. Finally, to set a good example in
my own thoughts, words, and deeds (wth mixed success). We remind
ourselves that these are our brothers and sisters in the One. Each
approaches the One in their own way. The One is Most Gracious and
provides (seemingly) myriads of ways of approach. The One in
His/Her Mercy and Grace seems to provide countless channels of
access, so that "here is little light" "over here is a little more
light" "here is still more." In this manner, everyone gets at
least some Light. Some more. Some less. But Light nevertheless!

We can choose to focus on the Light not the prejudice.

It is a great mystery!!!

Blessings!

Timothy

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The choice for the light...

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:54 pm

Greetings Brother Timothy!

This seems to me an important and practical point - a constant choice for the light, seeking to benefit and uplift. Quite naturally, as we enact this, it seems that we spontaneously dispel negativity and darkness.

In the context of the death of Pope John Paul II I cannot help but think of the need for compassion - some degree of empathy with others who are grieving, the experience of the sorrow and suffering with others. It seems to me an opportunity to open our heart to others. Judgment, prejudice, seems to close the heart; quite the opposite of what the Anointed and Mother Spirit would have us do.

May the Mother embrace the soul of our brother in his journey beyond, and may She bring comfort to those who mourn, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

action

#3 Postby Marion » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 pm

Shalom!

This reminds me of something that Malachi said in a discourse a few months ago: If one sees anger arising, the first step in dispelling it is not to act on it.

As in, If one is angry at a person, one should not act with violence twards them, or seek to hurt them in a physical sense. This is very wise advice because it seems like the greatest power of anger is what it inspires us to do in the world. So severing this link does a great deal in dispelling anger, because if it merely in ones thoughts, it will eventualy be dispelled because one will forget about it. This is true for any thing we might name. As an example love. We are always hearing about love, how we should love one another, and ourselfs etc... but if I merely think, "Oh I should love all beings." and do not consciously and constantly act according to this thought then these good and noble thoughts mean absolutely nothing.

On the subject of John Paul II, It has been interesting to watch how people come together after an event like this. It seems like his death inspired people, and not just Catholics, to pray together, talk together, and be together. This is beautiful because it means that in those moments people are interacting with other people as human beings, and not thinking about, "I'm Catholic and your a prodestant, so we have nothing in common." Or "I'm a Gnostic and your a Catholic so we have nothing in common." because it's not about that, in fact, that doesn't even matter. Events like these really seem to force us to see the similarities that we all share as people and as humans. So, this seems to be one of the blessings we can draw out of the Popes death. It is, a Bishop Storlie pointed out, an opprotunity to pray and meditate for th ePope in his journey and for people who are greiving. Because there seems to be two different types of greiving happening for people. One is the greif that people may feel who felt connected to the Pope, and the other is a grief of people who were once part of the Catholic church and who are'nt any more, like the woman that Bishop Storlie mentioned. Thius latter one seems to be a kind of greif that got pent up and is now showing itself as anger and hatred. It seems important that whatever the case, beings are suffering, and prayers can be very powerful is beings are able and willing to receive this helpful spiritual energy. Which is th ebeauty of prayer and meditation. Most of the time a person does not know that we are praying for them, or when or how, but sometimes a spontanious liberation may happen through this silent vehicle of grace.

All Blessings!
Marion.

Re: The energy of prejudice

#4 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:50 pm

In my observations the energy of prejudice originates from a wound.
A wound that has not healed, has not been forgiven. The self preservation to protect the wound from being hurt again is what creates the prejudice.

If we see how the wound was created, then we can find out what happened in consciousness. First, we assumed a meaning behind an act or statement. This meaning may not even be the real intent of the one who appears to inflict a wound. By the very assumption of a misunderstanding we inflict pain upon ourselves. ei: The Pope is a distant figure and I doubt this person who wrote this met the Pope personally. However, his ideals could have hurt her thru her misunderstanding or assumptions of what the Popes intention was. This is self inflicted wounding.

What compounds the problem is that we take it personally. The Pope and dogmatic ideals are apart of a collective consciousness. They too have their continuum. Should we take it personally? I know I don't agree with alot of dogma's of various religions or sects, but I don't take it personally because it's not serving the greater good.

When we assume an affliction upon ourselves(by assuming), take it personally, we create needless drama's that waste away our energy.

As long as their are wounds unhealed, there will be prejudiced thinking.

On another note, it seems to me this new Pope Benedict XVI might be a rather interesting one to watch for those who are mystically enclined. He mentioned something about the collective misery and it's relation to the collective ego recently. Sounds as if this Pope has had some unorthodox influence, which we might welcome. I don't think I've heard one catholic leader discuss 'ego'. He will be interesting nevertheless just to figure out what he is all about. A pope talking about collective consciousness is a very good sign. Maybe more will take responsibility for their own consciousness.

lleyr

#5 Postby lleyr » Tue May 03, 2005 1:44 pm

Thank you all for this reminder!
Blessings, Mark

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Through the Eyes of the Mother

#6 Postby Elder Gideon » Tue May 03, 2005 3:54 pm

Greetings All!

I'm very much appreciating the perspectives voiced by all here, as each work day provides such powerful opportunities to extend and apply whatever we've experienced privately in prayer and meditation.

A practice that has captured my heart recently is seeing those who would judge or persecute anyone (including myself!) from the perspective of the Mother. The results have been very powerful, for as I concentrate myself in the heart (restrain my urge to argue or defend), something magical happens: the internal voice of judgement and persecution is relaxed, quieting the affect of feeling judged or persecuted by an external voice! Quite literally, I'm coming to recognize that the suffering that comes with feeling judged or persecuted is mirroring an internal judge and persecutor.

To bring to repose that harsh voice WITHIN me is to de-fang the harsh voice without me. The repose, the equanimity, the spiritual self-worth by which this is accomplished, comes (for me lately) by seeing all parties through the eyes of the Mother.

Praise be She who loves all her children equally!

brothersmiley

lleyr

#7 Postby lleyr » Tue May 17, 2005 5:32 am

Greetings All,

I saw a practice somewhere (can't remember the source) where you watch all negative thoughts you have about others. Everytime they start to appear you push them away. If you are unsuccessful you write them down. The idea being that you will see how many critical thoughts you are having about others and see how ridiculous it is.

This criticism is so not the Mother.... I have found the practice very enlightening because it gives me a perspective that we tend to ignore.

Blessings, Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Banishing Negativity

#8 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue May 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Greetings!

This practice that you mention, Brother Mark, reflects a practice that Tau Elijah gave to me, based upon the art of divine theurgy in our lineage – what you have shared is the first step. Once the negative thoughts are written down, then one may light a candle, praying that the flame become a physical representation of the Fire of the Holy Spirit, and of the Threefold Flame of Faith, Hope and Love that burns in the Sanctuary of the Heart; then, one may light a stick of incense, and pray that the Anointed might dispel the klippot of negativity and liberate the sparks through the power of the Holy Spirit. Using an appropriate vessel, like a bowl, one may then touch the paper to the consecrated flame, praying that the negativity be burned away. Once the paper is burnt completely, one may then pour water into the vessel, remembering the baptism in which one has died to the world and to sin and been raised up with the Messiah. Completing this theurgic action one may then go outside and pour the water into the earth near some plants, praying that the holy sparks are uplifted and that blessings might be established in the place of curses – love instead of hate. I found this a very powerful practice at times when I was sorely bound up in negativity. In this way negative movements can transformed.

We also may say that while seeking to cut off negative thoughts about ourselves and others, it is wise to look and see the good in ourselves and others – typically, it is not enough to just cut off the negative thoughts and emotions, but their energy needs to be redirection towards a positive movement. Often times, seeking to cut off negativity, but not cultivating something positive in its place, we find that the negativity swiftly returns – it is best to seek the antidote to the poison, to draw out the good inherent in the negativity. For example, if I am jealous of someone, then in my jealousy I actually am aware of the virtue and good of that person. How else could I be jealous of someone unless I saw their virtue and good? Thus, seeking to cut off jealousy I may also seek to honor and praise their virtue and the good that is in them. When we do this we extract the sparks of holiness from the klippot (husks of darkness or negativity), and we transform negativity into something positive – a force for a greater good.

When we first start practicing this it may well prove difficult and require much personal effort, for we have allowed negativity to run riot a long time and the balance is unlikely to be shifted over night – but given some time and practice, it becomes increasingly easier, and eventually may become quite effortless. It just requires consistent practice day to day, one day at a time.

In terms of prejudice, per Bishop Storlie’s original post, there is something very important in what he is sharing regarding the Exterior and Interior Church, for the Outer and Inner Church should not be opposed to one another, but rather the exoteric and esoteric should be joined to one another in our spiritual lives – all who have faith in Yeshua Messiah are brothers and sisters of my enlightened family, just as the faithful and elect of all wisdom traditions are brothers and sisters of my extended enlightened family. Thus, we may take the instruction of St. John to heart, when he says, “Whoever says, ‘I am in the light,’ while hating a brother or sister, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves a brother or sister lives in the light, and in such a person there is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates another believer is in the darkness, walks in darkness, and does not know the way to go, because darkness has brought on blindness. (1 John 2:9-11)”

Prejudice and hatred of any kind diminishes the Light in us, and likewise, as Bishop Storlie points out, each of us is able to draw upon the Light according to our present capacity – some more, some less. While we may not be able to all agree on points of creed and doctrine, and while we may hold diverse views and interpretations of the Gospel, nevertheless the root of our faith is the same, and we all seek to draw upon the same Light.

Hatred and persecution of the Outer Church has become common in our culture, and focusing on the errors and defects of the Outer Church has become a frequent entertainment – but really we are just making the Outer Church a scapegoat, ignoring our own psychic and spiritual dis-ease. This is true within and behind any form of hatred or persecution – any form of the blame game. Whenever we see this happening in ourselves it becomes important that we go within and look within and root out the cause of negativity in ourselves; hence that we seek our own tikkune – healing/mending/correction.

In modern spirituality it has become all too common that we seek the esoteric in reaction to the exoteric or apart from the exoteric; yet, the exoteric and esoteric are meant to go hand-in-hand with one another, and serve to balance one another. The esoteric separated from the exoteric rarely, if ever, enters into the same depths of wisdom as when joined with its exoteric foundation.

I can speak of this in terms of my own experience, for I certainly have gone through periods in my journey in which I found myself strongly in reaction to the Exterior Church – but what I found was psychic and spiritual wounds within myself that were in need of tikkune/healing. As long as these wounds remained my capacity for the Light-presence and Light-power was significantly impaired or diminished. In this I may speak of the goodness hidden in my reaction, for it served to reveal deep wounds, most of which, in fact, had little to do with the actual Exterior Church.

This seems equally true in every version of the blame game – and so long as we are playing this game of criticism and judgment we cannot experience our tikkune/healing, but rather we perpetuate the real cause our own sorrow and suffering. It seems recognizing this is important to the practice of dispelling negativity, for when we really look and see where negativity leads us we will not desire it and we will find it is swiftly and easily dispelled.

May we be blessed to look and see with the Mother’s eyes, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#9 Postby Rebekah » Wed May 18, 2005 6:20 am

Shalom!

A guest in the chat room last evening has this posted on her refrigerator:

'You may learn clarity in any random moment of your life, as soon as you open your inner eyes to what your judgments of others are saying about you.'

We can't blame and judge others unless we blame and judge ourselves. Forgiveness and acceptance begin inwardly!

Blessings,
Rebekah

reddesert

Shaking the bad vibes and attachments...

#10 Postby reddesert » Wed May 18, 2005 6:49 pm

Shalom Tau Malachi and Everyone:

I very much appreciate this line of discussion. I had mixed feelings about the passing of the Pope. Born a catholic, I had felt that my lineage of faith and spiritual practice had been co-opted by those who have created a "faith by numbers", akin to a "paint by numbers" portrait. I had a lot of reflection in myself to slowly come to understand that I cannot carry the energy of frustration, anger and disappointment. The hierarchy of the church is not only so different from the heartfelt lessons and words that I learned from catholic brothers and sisters; it never rested in my heart where my inner wisdom would occasionally cause me "spiritual indigestion". For many 'retired-Catholics', as well as other people of spiritual awareness, we mourn the missed opportunities that the outer Church has not and perhaps cannot bring outward: to hear a homily that leaps forth and speaks passionately about Agape, to close our eyes and feel the inner and mystical experiences of people on the path, and to open ourselves for unification.

I agree wholeheartedly with the words expressed by all of you that it is best not to be consumed by these raw emotions. There is no argument, there is only Truth. We can release the negative energies and choose a path of love and Light.

May I and others create an opening where the inner and outer church are one and in so doing we increase the reflection of the Light presence among all.

Blessings

Respectfully submitted,
Rose

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Limited Light

#11 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu May 19, 2005 5:03 pm

Greetings!

Quite frankly, the Outer Church reflects the desire for spirituality found in the average person among the faithful – it does not as much shape herd consciousness, as reflect it, and is designed to reach out to those who may have the most minimal inclination to spirituality. One might say that it matches the karmic vision of the people, as much as influence it.

I recently had a perfect illustration of this, just last week. A gentleman wrote me a letter after reading The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas. He spoke of me as a “mystical monk” who dwelled on a “mountain of freedom,” and then wrote a page explaining to me how what I write about in The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas is too lofty for the average person, but only applies to a “mystical monk.” Basically, he explained how everyone is too busy with their materiality to seek a pure spirituality!

I’d have to say that the Outer Church is a perfect response to this common mindset – phrased in a pointed question by this gentleman: “If God wanted us to be like angels, why didn’t God create us as angels?” I’d imagine this expresses the sentiments of many people among the faithful – a desire for a very simply and basic spirituality, and one that requires relatively little from them. After all, for most of us here, our desire is almost completely for materiality – virtually all desire-energy directed downward and outward towards the material world. In the midst of this karmic condition, it is good that something of the Sanctuary of Grace might be extended to the larger collective via the Exterior Church.

I had to laugh when I read this gentleman’s letter, as to a certain extent I agree with him – Gnostic Christianity is not for everyone, and I’m not really writing to the masses, as much as to those in whom something of the mystical inclination has sparked. On the other hand, virtually all of my spiritual friends who I work with are very active and lead very productive lives, and yet are Gnostic practitioners – engaged in exactly what The Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas is speaking about. It all seems to be a matter of the development and evolution of the soul-being, and the degree to which the impulse to a pure spirituality is manifest in us; hence the sparking of the Fiery Intelligence.

I must agree, the Outer Church, apart from the Inner Church, is far too restrictive for me – but as I notice this claustrophobic feeling it is a self-reflection, granting self-knowledge, for in it I know I must be in the mystical journey that carries me beyond the confines of the Exoteric Church into the open spaces of the Interior and Spiritual Church. In a manner of speaking, it is like the clothes I wore as a little child – I out grew them, but it does not mean that there is anything wrong with them. We do, indeed, hope and pray to grow in Christ, and as Gnostics, having become Christian we labor in a conscious evolution to become Christ; hence our great “heresy.”

For some the Outer Church is too little, for others the Inner Church is too big – it all seems a matter of being right where we are in our faith and gnosis in Christ. Of the Inner Church, at least in the Sophian view, we can say it is the extension and expansion of the Outer Church, the basic principles of faith in the Outer Church forming the foundation of gnosis in the Inner Church.

If I were to speak of the principle error of the Outer Church it would be this: Whereas in the East the exoteric and esoteric where allowed to function openly, hand-in-hand, exoteric Christianity in the West did not allow this, and therefore has tended to persecute those inclined to an esoteric Christianity – the mystics. This is, indeed, unfortunate, for it is largely responsible for the spiritual bankruptcy of our modern society and culture, and the less refined development of mystical spirituality in the West. It seems, however, today there is an opportunity for the tikkune of a broken vessel, if enough of us are willing to the labor of mending it – this is something that has become a significant part of my personal contemplation lately.

I suppose as I write and share ideas about this subject I’m inwardly in prayer, seeking the purification of all klippot that might hinder or obstruct the labor of this tikkune – hence my continuing to draw out this contemplation through various discussions in our forums. I must say, in the process, I deeply appreciated what each of you are sharing of your thoughts and feelings on this subject – it truly seems a very important to me for Gnostic Christians and for the spiritual work in our times. Thank you!

May the Mother empower us in the Healing Way, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”