The question of dualism

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Neophyte

The question of dualism

#1 Postby Neophyte » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am

Hello friends.
Sorry for my English, I'm Brazilian and I'm using google translate ...

One of the most confusing questions about Gnosticism is the question of dualism ...
We know (you more than I) that much of the information about Gnostics and their respective doctrines, do not proceed as recent studies show, there was a lot of lie on the part of the church's herosologists.
An artificial narrative tried to put practically all the Gnostic strands in the stereotype of the dualism.
But now he knows whether some gnostics like Basilides and Valentinus, described as dualists by Irenaeus, were monists ...

So, on the face of it, the first question I would like to ask:
Which schools really can be classified as dualistic? So that there are really reliable sources, preferably from the school itself if possible (maybe... Nag Hammadi).

After that we can enter into an even deeper question:
Since the Gnostics, contrary to hotordoxy, had a much more esoteric understanding of the scriptures and myths ... then, which strands can we really consider with a dualistic understanding? Or even these schools that exoterically presented in their scriptures a dualistic stance (especially in relation to Jehovah) in fact esoterically had a much more monistic view, such as Eastern traditions for example ...

In order to know this, we would need sources that would describe the social relationship between these dualistic schools and the hodoxical Jews and Christians of their day ...

I hope that these questions will be of interest to the other members in order to develop a sound and pedagogical debate for all ...

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Liberation

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Shalom!

Greetings in the Light of Messiah!

Your historical questions about the dual versus non-dual orientation of Gnostic schools of thought is best answered by academic research. Anthologies such as Barntone & Meyer's Gnostic Bible demonstrate a plethora of schools and views, few of which are living today. Our lineage isn't founded in historicism but the living experience of gnosis. In Hebrew, the same mystery of holy knowledge we call Da'at.

Mysteries of the non-dual, gnostic experience are founded upon the discipline of the dual. In other words, as we receive people in our community, we insist on the discernment of right company, livelihood, and life-display, as these establish the foundation of clearly hearing and living from what is non-dual. To be clear, there is the experience of ignorance and enlightenment, sin and righteousness. We would never deny or dismiss the relative reality of coming into being. But behind this process is a pure being that we regard as the Messiah.

When one closely considers the Genesis account of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life, it may appear that there are two trees. This is not the case. What divides this one tree into two is the ignorance of the one approaching; likewise, what unifies Knowledge with Life is the awareness of the same one approaching. We teach that ignorance is a necessary experience to come to a new awareness. Eating from the Tree of Knowledge comes first before we can stabilize the experience of the Tree of Life.

The serpent is a key transition between these. In Hebrew letters (which are also numbers), the word for serpent (nahash) sums the same letter-values as Anointed (Messiah). Both enumerate 358. This mystery is much like the mystery of the Tree. Knowledge leads to Life, just as the serpent leads to the Messiah. The Blessed Name of Yeshua itself means that "YHVH Delivers" from ignorance and death. None of this could manifest apart from initial ignorance. We are all destined to learn, grown, and consciously evolve towards Life in the Messiah.

See, the non-dual view is actually more demanding than the oversimplified, dualistic views of "black" and "white" that characterize much of religion. It's more challenging to reconcile what seems to be an opponent or opposition. On the surface, everything appears to be at odds. The moment we meet someone new destines the day they'll part. Our first breath in this life destines our last breath. But nothing comes into being apart from this resistance. In other words, there is a grand process that requires everything apparently at odds to be consciously reintegrated, rectified, and restored.

Adonai Yeshua personifies this perfectly and calls each of us to the same work. He lived his gospel and we're to live our own gospel. Gnostic gospels no where suggest he intended to be deified, removed, and apart from his disciples. Quite the opposite. We're to identify with the Messiah as indwelling us already. This is the essence and purpose of everything essentially non-dual about the gnostic experience. By opening to greater degrees of energy and light, and expanded states of greater awareness, we are destined to glimpse and even embody a conscious union with the Holy One. Enlightening knowledge—Da'at—of news that delivers us is the most basic meaning of the word 'gospel'.

Each and everyone one of us has a gospel, a liberation, to embody and speak with our life. I will hold the discovery of your gospel in my heart.

Elder Gideon

Neophyte

Re: The question of dualism

#3 Postby Neophyte » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Thank you very much.

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”