Light: Essential Gnosis

Moderator: Brother Christopher

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Light: Essential Gnosis

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:28 am

In the Gnostic Gospel, Pistis Sophia, a central term for God is the “True Light,” and in the Kabbalah God is often called Ain Sof Or, the “Infinite Light.” The very first act of creation is the generation of Light, when God says, “Let there be Light.” In accounts of the ascension of the Messiah, following the resurrection, whether in the Book of Acts or Pistis Sophia, we are told the Master ascends in Light. In the midst of the Book of Apocalypse there is the Woman of Light who gives birth to a Holy Child that is taken up in the Light. According to the Gospel of St. John, the Word is the “Light of all people,” the “Light darkness does not overcome.” Again and again in Scriptures the Divine Presence is spoken of as Fire and Light and Spirit – a Radiant Presence.

While we cannot say “Light is God,” we may conclude that God is Light, a principle we are familiar within our human and material experience – in fact, on a material level, mastering fire, we have become masters of light, and this mastery characterizes the human race and has led to the development of civilization and our dominion as an intelligent species on the earth. Light is a great power, and it is a symbol of great power – it has become a symbol of truth and goodness, among other things.

Light is a principle quality of almost all practices of prayer and mediation within the Sophian Tradition of Gnostic Christianity – we are constantly envisioning the “Spiritual Sun within and behind our heart” and constantly envisioning images of Light and ourselves becoming Light, pervaded by Light and surrounded by Light. Indeed, it is said that we acquire Gnosis of the Risen Savior and experience the Resurrection through “generating the Body of Light,” for through the Body of Light our consciousness opens to new dimensions and we experience consciousness beyond the body – all in the Light!

The study of Christian Gnosticism and Kabbalah can be quite complex, with the plethora of ideas, specialized terms and symbols used to teach the esoteric wisdom, but it all returns and is grounded in the simplicity of Light – envision the Light, be and become Light, this is the essential key of the spiritual life and practice of the Gnostic Christian.

We speak often of the Light-continuum (Father-Mother) and the Light-presence (Son) and the Light-power (Holy Spirit), and the very essence of the Gnostic message is this: “You are a Person of Light who has comes from the Light-continuum, and who, in fact, has never departed from it; know and remember yourself in the Light, as the Light.”

Thus, if we were to speak in the simplest fashion of the spiritual life and practice of Gnostic Christians, and the message of Christian Gnosticism, it is to remember and envision the White Brilliance, the Clear Diamond-like Light that sparkles with rainbow hues, continually, in every way that you can, using your creative capacity to develop as many ways to do so as you can. Coupled with this, seek to actively embody love, compassion, forgiveness, truth, understanding, kindness, courage, strength and all of the virtues that are associated with the True Light – seek to live as a son or daughter of the Light, be a Light-bearer in the world.

It is simple, and it is easy. For example, the very essence of the Middle Pillar Meditation is to envision yourself in a Pillar of White Brilliance, sparkling with rainbow hues; in the midst of any activity when this is done, one invites and welcomes the Light-presence and uplifts the activity. Upon first arising in the morning, and just before you go to sleep, let your thoughts turn to the Light and envision the Light. Throughout the day, remember and envision the Light within everyone and everything – all in the Light. Though very simple, the power and effect of this practice on consciousness is amazing – especially when practiced in various ways, daily, over time. There is wonderworking power in it!

From one Gnostic Christian school to another we can differ greatly in our teachings and views, yet it seems that all Gnostics and all Gnosticism agrees upon this most basic message and practice – remembering and envisioning the Light. All agree that God is Light and that in our inmost part, our inmost being, we too are Light – thus, in the Light we experience union with God Most High, we discover our inner Divinity and the transcendent Divinity (this Clear Light).

Though I am speaking of spiritual practice and this post could well go in the Spiritual Life and Practice forum, it points to the very essence of Gnosis and Gnosticism – thus it seems good to post in this forum.

In closing I would share this: In the Light all shades and shadows are naturally dispelled, all klippot are spontaneously self-liberated; in the Light we are healed, and made whole and complete, perfect as we are.

May we remember our perfection in the Light, in the Christ, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

afframation in the light.

#2 Postby Marion » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:36 pm

Shalom Malachi!

the practice of seeing the light seems to be parallel to the practice of afframations, as we spoke about in our last Sacramento meeting. By remembering to envision the light in everyone and everything one is affirming this light in oneself as well, it is a very powerful practice. I remember you saying once, "If one is truely envisioning the light, then there cannot possibly be negitive thought or emotion."
This reminds me of something that happened the other day. Malachi and several companions were all sitting around the breakfast table about to eat a meal, and of of us said, "should we say the meal blessing before we put it on our plates or after?" and Malachi said, "Or we could just eat aware of the divine sparks and light within the food." in this moment, I remember thinking, wait a minute, that's so easy! then I realised that the entire point of the blessing upon a meal is to become aware of the light within it, and maybe if one is aware of the light within food enough one will also become aware of the light in everyone and everything, How wonderful!

Another very powerful thing that I have noticed is that when one is seeing the sparks of holiness in all things that it is impossible to think or speak bad things about someone or something, one will naturaly think of the good in that person or situation, even if it is apparently "bad". Envisioning light in things is the all purpose rescue squad from any predicament that one may encounter in life. It is also interesting that those hard moments in life are the ones that we most often feel that we cannot envision the light, that it is too hard, or that we don't want to. this seems to be the voice of the adversary in us, because, if ones inmost being is light, and one has never departed from the awareness of the light continuum in ones essence, then how hard is it to envision light? it would seem to be the most simple thing at any time to do, one wouldn't even need to really try. I suppose we may liken it to a person who is standing on a mountain on a beautiful sunny warm day, but they have ear plugs on and their hands over their eyes and are saying, "Oh I just can't see the sun or the blue sky, it is impossible! It's too hard for me to do!" how hard would it be for this person to take the head phones off and remove theor hands from their eyes? very simple, and they could at any time they wish. That is the ironic thing. No one is doing anything to them, in fact, they have to power to see a most beautiful spectacle before them, but it is they who choose not to. This is a most powerful thing to realise in the midst of those moments of negativity. To say to oneself, "I have to power to change my veiw of this situation, I have the power to see the light in this person." This is the power of the human one. And it is the power of awareness, and connectedness to the Holy One.
May the Holy One uplift our awareness into the light, that we may b e aware to the light presence that manifests before us, within and all around us, as us. Amen and Amen.

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Affirmations & Light Vision

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Greetings Sister Marion!

You make an important point when you connect the envisioning of light with the practice of affirmation; for to envision the Light within us and all around us is an affirmation of our deepest being (the inmost part of our soul). These two practices joined together are a very powerful method of self-transformation, only they are so simple and so easy it is difficult for us to believe how effective they are at bringing about change in ourselves and our lives. To some envisioning light and using affirmation may sound “new age,” yet these practices are at the heart of teachings found in many different esoteric orders of the Western Mystery Tradition, and, in fact, appear in the inner and mystical teachings of virtually all world wisdom traditions – there is really nothing “new” about it. It is actually a practice of ageless wisdom and if we read the gospels it is clearly present.

I am reminded of the “I Am statements” of Master Yeshua, especially the saying, “I am the Way, Truth and Life, no one comes to the Father except through me.” This, of course, has led to some very dogmatic and fundamentalist ideas about Lord Yeshua – the view of Christ as exclusive to him, and salvation or enlightenment exclusive to him. Yet, if the Christ is speaking in him, and the Christ is the Light-presence in him, and in you and me, in everyone and everything, then this is a very different message than fundamentalism would propose – it is an affirmation of each and every one of us, all in the Light, all as the Light. What it teaches us is that, first and foremost, we must recognize and realize the Divine within us, and must learn to go within and live within – for only in this way to we know Christ and the Living Father.

You may recall that before repeating affirmations we often intone the Divine Name Eheieh, which literally means “I Am” or “I Shall Be,” and which is most commonly intoned: Ah-Ha-Yah (all short vowels). This is the Essential Name of God and corresponds to Keter on the Tree of Life, the first Light-emanation, which is also called by the Name, El Elyon (God Most High). According to the masters of the Tradition, this is the Name of the True Light and when we intone it we “bring down” the True Light – the Supernal Light. It is the first Name intoned in the Middle Pillar Meditation and, thus, as we intone it, quite naturally a visualization of the Pillar of White Brilliance would go hand in hand with our chant. We could very well hold this visualization in mind while speaking our affirmation, then shift to the creative visualization of our affirmation fulfilled – drawing its fulfillment from the Light.

Using the example of giving thanks and blessing our food before we eat it, what is the actual power through which we are able to uplift holy sparks? Is it not the Light within us, the Spiritual Sun in us, which empowers us to gather in and uplift sparks? Quite naturally, remembering the Light within us and all around us, and within the food we eat and fluids we drink, is essential to an actual blessing and uplifting of the sparks – visualization if Light, then, serves to empower our prayers of thanksgiving and makes our blessing effective. In fact, a simple visualization of Light, with gratitude to God, the Source of All-Being and All-Blessing, is the most essential form of thanksgiving and blessing of our meals; whatever prayer we may speak serves as a form through which the Light-force is manifest and extended. However, the same thing may be accomplished through envisioning Light and a simple Conscious Intention – words apart from such inner concentration are, in truth, not really very effective.

Of course, there is something more to this essential key than merely envisioning the Light, for as we envision the Light we wish to generate luminous thoughts, words and deeds, so that the Light is expressed through our minds, hearts and bodies, and we actually live in the Light – right thought, right speech and right action are an integral part of envisioning the Light and opening ourselves to the Light, and as you point out, envisioning the Light supports this “righteousness.” In every way possible we want to affirm the Spirit of Truth in our lives, the Light within and all around us.

May the Virgin of Light bless us with Divine Illimination, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

lleyr

#4 Postby lleyr » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:56 am

Greetings Malachi & Marion!

Your dialog makes me think of the teaching that we manifest what we believe and expect.

Marion mentions how easy it is to partake of the light, to see it, and experience it.... This is true if we consciously focus on the light. i know from personal experience there are times where I have imagined the light, but at the same time was still in a mode of darkness.... Then I wondered why I didn't trully experience the light in my life.

Lifting our Klippot to the light and letting it be shed, focusing on the light and releasing the darkness is such a necessity before experiencing the light can trully be "easy". It is amazing how hard it seems at first, but what a burden is lifted when we let it go.

If we only see darkness within, we will never experience the light around us.

Blessings & Shalom!
Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Initiation in the Light

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Greetings Brother Mark!

Indeed, the visualization of the Light can be purely conceptual at the outset, which itself is akin to a klippah (husk) we must work through. Likewise, at the outset, if we have low self-esteem and tend to identify too strongly with our defects, and internal shades and shadows, envisioning the Light may seem difficult. Yet, any time we encounter an inner voice or thought that tells us it is anything but simple and easy to envision the Light, it is important we recognize that voice or thought as the influence of the Opponent – a shadow of the Ignorance, and not believe in it.

In Gnostic Christianity faith in Christ is faith in the Light – the Light within us, all around us, and beyond us. Though it is gnosis or spiritual knowledge that liberates the soul – the direct spiritual or mystical experience of the Risen Christ, it is faith that opens the way to gnosis – as we see, for example, in the Gnostic Gospel entitled Pistis Sophia, “Faith-Wisdom.” In the midst of her bondage to chaos and darkness, Pistis Sophia remembers her first love, the True Light, and she aspires to the Light, repenting of the darkness into which she has fallen on account of the Ignorance (the Demiurge). Thus, she invokes the True Light and prays to the True Light, and the emanation of the True Light, Christ, enters into the Great Matrix and joins with her, uplifting her and restoring her to her Original Luminosity. This, of course, is the story of every Soul of Light that has become bound up in the Ignorance; when we let go of the husks of darkness, the shades and shadows, and remember and invoke/envision the Light, we are free from our bondage.

As much as remembering the True Light, El Elyon (God Most High), Sophia remembers herself and the Light that is in her – she acquires spiritual self-worth. Coupled with her spiritual humility, relying on a Higher Power, her spiritual self-worth is an essential key to her salvation, her enlightenment and liberation.

The practice of envisioning the Light has its foundation in the Threefold Rite of Initiation within Gnostic Christianity: baptism, chrism (anointing) and the wedding feast (Eucharist). The rite of baptism is both simple and beautiful – we go down into the waters, and we shed the old and unenlightened self, and rising up from the waters we put on a new and enlightened self in Christ, in the Light. Then we receive the chrism, the anointing with holy oil, which symbolizes our anointing with Spiritual and Supernal Light; and we celebrate the wedding feast, our union with the Light-presence (Messiah) and Light-power (Mother Spirit). It is a rite of passage, a rite of spiritual rebirth – the generation of spiritual self-worth. It is also a rite of spiritual surrender, spiritual humility, for no longer are we the doer, but Christ in us is the doer – the Indweller of Light.

Truly, the Threefold Initiation is a ceremony of Holy Remembrance, for it is a celebration of the Light Kingdom that is within and all around us, and the True Light, which is our transcendence. This is well reflected in the inner form of the Initiation, which is called the Threefold Transmission, by Living Word, Radiant Holy Breath and the Laying-On-Of-Hands; it an Empowerment that draws out the energetic dimension of the Threefold Initiation. In that instant, the Holy Apostle is not the doer, neither are we the doer, but the Light-presence and Light-power is the doer. The Apostle may be physical, appearing in the Body of Manifestation, or not physical, appearing in the Body of Glory; nevertheless it is the same – the Light-presence and Light-power ordains and empowers us, and it is a Holy Remembrance and Communion in the Spirit of Truth, all in the Light.

The practice of envisioning the Light is the key of True Gnostic and Christian Initiation – it is the spiritual practice that prepares us for Initiation, and which creates the conditions necessary for the Initiation to transpire and through which it occurs, and it is the spiritual practice through which the Initiation is brought to fruition in Supernal or Messianic Consciousness. Indeed, it is through the practice of envisioning the Light that we open our minds and hearts to the direct spiritual and mystical experience of the Risen Christ – the experience through which True Gnosis is acquired.

We may say this: When we experience the Risen Messiah, our envisioning the Light is no longer a practice of “visualization,” but it is the practice of the Vision of Experience which leads to the Vision of Truth (Self-realization in Christ). Whether facilitated by external ceremony or occurring apart from anything external, this is True Gnostic and Christian Initiation.

We do wish to be aware of our weaknesses and defects, and aware of our shades and shadows, but without self-judgment and without getting caught up in them – aware of the whole of ourselves, it is better to focus in the Light and seek our perfection in the Light, for the Light-indweller (Christ) is our True Being, and it is our healing and redemption.

If we find envisioning the Light difficult because we are encumbered by internal shades and shadows, perhaps we can remember a prayer that appears in the gospels: “I believe Lord; help me with my unbelief.” Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Generation of the Body of Light

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Greetings Sister Marion!

I thought, perhaps, I’d answer your question from email here, as the subject of the generation of the Body of Light corresponds to this topic.

You inquired if practices with luminous images of partzufim (divine personifications) and envisioning palaces of light developed the Body of Light. Yes, indeed, they are methods for the generation of the Body of Light and reintegration of ourselves into the Pleroma of Light; actively envisioning the truth of our being-consciousness on inner and subtle levels. In essence, all is consciousness, all is mind, including the material dimension and material body; it is all the radiant display of the mind, consciousness or soul. The Body of Light is a more subtle manifestation of consciousness, and when generated we can learn to shift our center of consciousness from the physical or material body into the Body of Light – this is called the “transference of consciousness” and is connected to the Gnosis of the Resurrection and Ascension (the Risen Christ).

Does kavvanah (or our capacity of concentration) relate to the degree we can generate this subtle body of consciousness? Yes, absolutely – it is all about our ability to concentrate and to maintain the presence of awareness, for to actually generate the Light-body and shift our center of consciousness into it requires a very high level of concentration.

This is reflected in a saying of the Master: “Let your eye be single and your whole body will be filled with light.” In essence, this is the union of kavvanah-concentration and devekut-cleaving, for it implies a singularity of thought and desire-energy without distraction. It is this that allows the full generation of the Body of Light, as well as the transference of consciousness into the Body of Light.

Of course, though personal effort is part of our dynamic surrender, this is not a development that occurs through personal effort alone, but rather it is accomplished by Divine Grace, our spiritual life and practice being our cooperation with Divine Grace. It is the reception of the Mother’s Force, the influx of the Supernal Light from above, and the integration of the Supernal Light into all levels of consciousness that generates the Body of Light and empowers of the transference of consciousness. Thus, while cultivating our capacity to contemplate and meditate, and to concentrate and rightly cleave to the Risen Christ, it is the Grace of the Christos, the Holy Spirit, which manifests this in our experience – as you have noticed in your recent experience during practice.

As we learn from the teachings on Perfect Success, any activity we consecrate to the Divine and into which we release our full spectrum of energy, giving ourselves to it completely, when our capacity and energy is exhausted, Divine Grace will enter in and take up that activity, completing the movement; hence what we mean by a “dynamic surrender.” (Dedicating the “merit” or energy of our practice to the glory of the Divine and the happiness of sentient beings is how we consecrate our spiritual practice to the Divine; likewise, it is the generation of the Sacred Heart of Christ.)

Our remembrance and envisioning light begins simply, but then becomes more detailed and complex to develop our capacity of concentration. As our capacity develops, the simple methods we have formerly used become our means of integrating more complex practices with our daily living – it is a progressive continuum of spiritual practice that is cultivated much further by more experienced Gnostic initiates. Yet, all the while it is the simplicity of remembering and envisioning the Divine Light.

Our initial transference of consciousness is into a self-radiant Body of Light that resembles the shape of our physical body, though composed of translucent light, like that of a rainbow in the sky. When we are able to stabilize this mode of the transference of consciousness (actually experiencing the shift of consciousness into the Light-body), then we practice the transference into formless light and eventually Clear Light, like the rainbow disappearing in the sky – this representing the inmost essential transference of consciousness.

All of this is based upon the direct recognition and realization of the nature of mind, consciousness or soul; the truth of our being-consciousness. Thus, it is something more than the exercise of our “imagination”; rather we are rehearsing the truth of consciousness so as to realize the nature of our mind, consciousness or soul. In fact, this is why this “attainment” is possible, because it is the truth of our inmost being.

Here we may say that an adept or master able to facilitate this shift in consciousness will have a great capacity to render invisible spiritual assistance to others, actively serving as a Light-bearer on inner and subtle dimensions; thus, through this practice we may be empowered to be of greater benefit to others.

You may wish to contemplate this in conjunction with teachings given on the Threefold Body of Melchizedek elsewhere.

O Divine Mother, may we receive your Light and through your Grace in Christ, may we enter into the Great Resurrection and Ascension; Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”