Male/Female Relationship in the Dualistic Realm

Moderator: Brother Christopher

al

Male/Female Relationship in the Dualistic Realm

#1 Postby al » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:03 pm

Hello,

It can be observed, by anyone who has had male/female interaction in the form of a relationship, that there are certain tendancies or trends which pertain to or apply to all man and women in incarnation.

These trends take the form of certain patterns of reaction and relation which come about when men and women attempt partnership in the form of romantic relationship.

In women this manifests as a desire for the possetion of a man, in order to feel safe. In men, there is an orientation towards sexual conquest.

In my personal relationships i have sometimes obeserved a facet of woman which seems to be very dark and angry. As though she hates adam due to some long suppressed guilt, or wound. (and baisically vice versa in men) In my observation this has not been an aspect of the individual personality, but wrather a deeply burried archetypical complex of woman on earth.

Perhaps someone might shed light on this, with regards to the Sofian Tradition?

Sincerly,
al

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#2 Postby Elder Sarah » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Hi Al,

What you are speaking of seems to deal with the redemption of Sophia, the acceptance of true womanhood. As of yet humanity has not fully accepted the Christos in a womans form, hence humanity has not fully accepted the feminine. I would agree with you that there is something deeply ingrained in women, as well as men, that has to do with this suppression and denial of the feminine. Until true womanhood is accepted how can true manhood be accepted? I think though, as a woman, that it is especially important for women to recognize this suppression within themselves and work to accept this part that has been cast away into the wilderness. The part that has been cast away is angry as well as sad and in pain and I think in accepting this part the relationship between men and women can be made whole again. This is the labor of Sophians, to recognize and realize the divine feminine, to redeem the Bride.

Many Blessings,
Sunny

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Eve & Lilith

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:12 pm

Hello Al & Sunny!

I'd have to agree with Sunny's comment. In part, it would seem, that what you are speaking about is a karmic continuum that has been generated by ages of supression and oppression of women - hence a play in karmic vision. This does, indeed, produce an underlying anger or rage; hence vast amounts of energy bound in negative psychic complexes.

In speaking of St. Mary Magdalene, the Holy Bride, there are two aspects of the Bride - Eve and Lilith. These represent the bright and dark faces of Daughter Sophia, and two aspects of womanhood, the submissive and the independent. In the Sophian view, these two aspects of Sophia and womanhood must be joined together harmoniously for the divine fullness of Sophia and womanhood to be actualized and manifest. Essentially, in the suppression and oppression of womanhood and the feminine by patriarchal culture, Eve is accepted but Lilith is rejected - when divided either aspect represents something partial and imbalanced. What you seem to be noticing is this aspect of Lilith or Sophia Nigrans; an aspect that must be integrated and redeemed for the divine fullness of womanhood to be realized. (At least in the Sophian view.)

It is said that in Mary Magdalene these two aspects were united and embodied; hence Christ the Sophia.

It can prove very illuminating to study and contemplate the archetypes of Eve and Lilith in this way - envisioning the fullness of womanhood in their unification. The difficulty is that Lilith is everything women are taught to suppress and deny in themselves - everything said to be "unacceptable" in the feminine. Thus, it is quite difficult because there is little encouragement and support for women to embrace this powerful aspect of the feminine within themselves and their lives.

It seems to me that part of creating the coniditions in which women are free to explore the fullness of the feminine lies in men being willing to embrace the feminine in themselves - for, in truth, we all have the masculine and feminine within us, in our psychic being and in our soul of Light. In other words, I feel that both men and women need to consciously participate in the actualization and realization of human consciousness, as co-equal partners. This is the most basic message of the Sophian Gospel.

A comment I'd make from the male perspective regarding this distorted idea of "conquest;" perhaps this is dispelled by our becoming lovers of the mystery in women, and seeking intimacy in heart, mind, soul and spirit instead of only on the physical level. I have found much healing comes by celebrating and enjoying the mystery of womanhood - for that is exactly what it is to us, an amazing and wonderful mystery!

I don't know if these comments are at all helpful, but perhaps they can spark further conversation and exploration.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Kat

#4 Postby Kat » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:49 pm

Shalom Al

I agree with idea of healing Manhood and Womenhood. Many unhealthy patterns are played out in relationships steming from the karma needing to be worked out in the world at this time. For men and women there are sparks that need to be uplifted. A healthy relationship comes into being when both individuals are open and hounest and worked on healing these complexes.

I hope this sheds some light,
Kat

Marion

uplifting sparks.

#5 Postby Marion » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Dear Malachi, Al, Kat and Sunny!

It seems like the observations that you are takling about Al steam from our instinctual nature. There is an interesting tendency in modern society to over focus on the material with spirituality as an after thought at best. So it makes sense then that the wanting to feel safe and the conqeror mentalities are so prevalent. Indeed, I know of no one who is completely free of this. But like anything, it seems that we have a choice weather to uplift it to th edivine or not. When our instinctual nature is uplifted to the divine, then it becomes a vehicle for the divine to manifest on this earth. How one does this is to treat all of ones personal relationships as a vehicle for the divine, to be loving and compassionate to ones partner, and seek to draw out their talents. In this it seems that we may learn how to be more loving and compassionate with all people we encounter, weather it be a lover, a stranger or an enemie. If we consciously act in this way, the world is thereby uplifted because with compassion, there isn't any violence. The violence that you see in this tendency of women to want to posses the man for safety, and the anger and frusterations it produces, seems to reflect a distortion of this instinctual nature in us. Because if one wishes to posess or conquer ones partner, this is not loving, this is not compassionate. Whenever there is a Me vs. Them mentality, there is violence. So perhaps we may turn this conqering mentality into a co-exploration mentality. So that there is a dynamic balance between dominion and submission-receprocity. The first step to this however, seems to be being conscious of what one is doing, and if the other person is not willing to this receprocity, perhaps that relationship is not a very healthy one.

Blessings and Shalom!

Marion.

Brother Christopher
Site Admin

#6 Postby Brother Christopher » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:40 pm

Shalom Maid Marion,

Your post brings up some interesting contemplations in regards to relationships. It seems that relationships can serve as a wonderful magical mirror in the path of self-realization. I agree with your notion that in order for healing or reciprocity we must first be aware or conscious of this masculine/feminine dynamism within oneself. I know from my own adventures in intimate relationships that when we are not aware or unwilling to look we can find ourselves in some strange places. It seems that this idea of saftey or need for validation stems from a sense of lack or Spirit connectedness. In this sense discovering one's Spirit conectedness through all of one's relations could prove a wonderful meditation.

thanks for your post :)

Many Blessings,
Christopher :)

Rebekah

#7 Postby Rebekah » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:44 am

Shalom!

It’s interesting how limited we sometimes feel in our relationships, yet at the same time, we also may feel limited by not having a relationship which draws out and allows us to fully express the love within us, even our spirit connectedness. It seems there is something powerful in these connections we form in terms of energy.

I’m always amazed at how difficult honesty and genuine communication seem to be. Relationships can certainly be a most powerful mirror, and yet, unless we know ourselves, we fail to see our reflection in others. Perhaps by embracing the masculine and feminine within ourselves we are able to see into this mirror more clearly!

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Wholeness

#8 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:51 am

Greetings!

Perhaps the idea of "safety" or "validation" is a klippotic distortion of the desire for healing and wholeness. At the heart of the mystery of Hieros Gamos, the Sacred Marriage, is that in the union of the masculine and feminine the image and likeness of the Human One is whole and complete; thus becoming the image and likeness of God, the Holy One of Being.

Wholeness, completion, fulfillment - desire for these seems to reflect spiritual self-worth or confidence, versus safety, validation and the like which seem to reflect insecurity or self-doubt. Same desire-energy, one luminous and the other shadowy; one divine and the other klippotic.

In any discussion of right relationship and Hieros Gamos we must remember that entering into an actual relationship - the play of spiritual consorts, the masculine and feminine must be joined and brought into harmony within ourselves; hence within both individuals. Only then can we speak of the Hieros Gamos transpiring between two initiates.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#9 Postby Rebekah » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:01 am

Shalom!

I've been thinking about the Beloved, and contemplating Yeshua and Mary Magdalene, Padmasambhava and Yeshe Tsogyal, Shiva and Kali, and the interplay and interaction between them. These soul mates are a powerful display for us, showing us not only the interplay of two beings, but the unification of the masculine and feminine.

There is something in the energy exchange that seems necessary in the sense that the sum of the unified energy is greater than its parts. While the masculine and feminine must be joined and brought into harmony within ourselves, I’m wondering if indeed this exchange is necessary for unification of the masculine and feminine within, or to what degree?

Blessings!
Rebekah

Sophia Fellowship

O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Solitary

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:34 pm

Greetings!

Shiva and Kali as God and Goddess certainly bear the same message, though on the archetypal level, whereas Yeshua and Miriam or Padma and Yeshe do so on the actual level as incarnate human beings. In terms of the latter two couples, which represent the interaction and union of souls mates, what we witness is an incredible dynamism in the extension of light. Frankly the term "soul mate" is sorely over used, for according to the masters of the Tradition, when soul mates meet and unite there is a natural flow of grace and blessings to many being - such a relationship is not exactly ordinary and certainly in not focused exclusively upon the couple. In fact we may say that the relationship of soul mates transcends the couple. It is far more than meeting someone we match with and fall in love with as a life-partner. In one way or another humanity is uplifted and benefits by the meeting and union of soul mates in the world.

Is an actual intimate or personal relationship necessary for the unification of the masculine and feminine within ourselves? It seems that it would differ from person to person, for there are clear examples of realized individuals who did not engage in any intimate relationship. It does not seem that we can make a rule for everyone, but rather it becomes a question of what transpires in our own experience and what is necessary for ourselves in our progress along the Way. Yet more, it is a matter of our life's intentionality or the Divine will for us.

Obviously, the interaction of two lovers and the use of personal relationship as a vehicle for self-realization is considered ideal among Sophians - for some it will be a significant part of their path, while for others it will not be.

This is not to say that there is not something very spiritual and magical when the sacred marriage is actually manifest between two people, nor to negate the fact that for most of us it is something we deeply yearn to experience - but to say it is "necessary" is not exactly true. For example, women and men working together spiritually in community can serve to teach one another about these two aspects of the human one within them - that, itself, could be enough for many.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Perseverando

polarity

#11 Postby Perseverando » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:14 pm

Greetings All!

Intrigueing ideas, these. The clothing that the Self may find itself wearing in incarnation, whether it be male or female in the physical form, is entirely the result of karmic conditioning, the bornless Self ultimately being androgyne, yes? And so, how can one speak of the complex pageant of one another's karmic destiny in such concrete terms as was put forth in the original post? And yet this is precisely what we often do! It is pure common sense for a man and woman to be wary upon their first encounters, and such generalizations are perhaps helpful in avoiding potentially dangerous encounters. But, as Tau Malachi pointed out, at some point it becomes a matter of self-grasping which would only serve to hinder a true love and sacred union from manifesting, for truly, the self-sacrifice inherent in the union with the beloved is certainly yet another aspect of the Rite of Ransom.

Like the Sefirot on the Tree of Life, each incarnation, whether male or female, will find itself as either giving or recieving or both, depending on the situation and each individual interaction with another being, not to mention the karmic conditioning thereof. In this way, the male may be inherently receptive in nature, which would be viewed as a feminine trait in unenlightened society, and vice versa of course. This speaks not only to the question of homosexuality, since sexuality is but a facet of the totality of one's relationships with others, generally reserved for the beloved by evolved beings, but speaks simply of the level to which an individual has integrated the imparting\male aspects and the receiving/female aspects within on many levels or planes of consciousness. Thus, each individuals incarnation or path, and how the polarities of masculine and feminine traits are acted out in this divine play would yield an altogether unique expression of the same, in infinite variety. Am I heading in the right direction here?

This also brings to mind the Sophian Tradition's point of view that all aspirants are female, in that they are performing the Great Work of receiving the Light transmission, while the elders, tau or tzaddik are male in that they have received the Light are now performing the Great Work of imparting the transmission. Tau Malachi has shown us that such is the meaning behind Yeshua's statement concerning Mary in verse 114 of the Gospel of St. Thomas: "For every woman who will make herself male will enter into the kingdom of heaven."

But look and see, even we who are aspirants find great joy in sharing what nuggets and gems of Light we have received thus far in our sojourney, and thus make ourselves male! Perhaps we never cease to be both male and female in this regard, the true Christed ones fully integrating both as the Totality of OneSelf, as indicated by the design of the divine Hexagram, the upward triangle being male and the downward triangle being female. This brings us once again ponder the deep need we have spiritually to reintegrate the divine feminine into our lives, and the critical role that Mary Magdalene plays in this reunification for Gnostic Christians.

As such, there is so much to be said for a man and a woman coming together in love, bonding in marriage in a truly sacred sense, and bearing children together to form a family. Surely, this is the divine pattern exemplified by Yeshua and Mary, which has been suppressed for a millenium. It is here that we may begin to understand where the destruction of the family truly began, finally manifesting in modern society as a total breakdown of the family unit, causing so much hurt to it's children, who are the adults of the future. This has only served to promote cosmic ignorance, since an intact family unit is critical to the child in it's formative years, on many levels. It is my view that the decline of the traditional family unit of Father Mother and Child has everything to do with the decline of spiritual values in Western society, most especially to further the already tragic loss of the divine feminine. We need Mary Magdalene today more than ever before.

But alas, again we must consider the vast inscrutable working of karma, not only on an individual level, but that of humanity in general. It is not for all to fulfill such a role in life. Ah, but as one who has been blessed by my beloved wife and our child, I can speak of the joy and fulfillment that such a sacred union has brought me and others around us in life and spirit.

This is what first came to me in mediating upon the previous posts.

Shalom!

Shane

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Karmic Continuum

#12 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:47 am

Greetings!

You struck the nail on the head, as the saying goes Shane, for the entire dialogue regarding male and female is karmic - it is a relative reality in the karmic continuum of the matrix of creation. In this sense, all teachings on the play of male and female, soul mates and such are, in effect, provisional. If we speak of a great soul of light that incarnates a male and female to serve as Christ-bearer, as in the case of Lord Yeshua and Lady Mary, is this not an emanation according to our own karmic vision - the karmic vision of souls incarnate as men and women, bound to the gilgulim?

Indeed! Is there a difference between Christ consciousness embodied in a woman's form or a man's form? In the inmost part of the soul of light do we have a gender? It would seem that gender exists in the material and psychic humanity, but in the spiritual humanity we are akin to the angels in the sense of being androgynous. In this context I'm reminded of the teachings from the Gospel of St. Philip which says that the spiritual elect "conceive with a kiss," and implies the reality of the World of Supernal Light in which beings bring forth everything from within themselves as 'pure emanation,' completely apart from the love-play of male and female.

Why must there be male and female Light-bearers? Because in ignorance we believe in these appearances so much - we grasp at name and form so tightly. Likewise, in speaking about the arayot (sexual mysticism) and the mysteries of hieros gamos we are talking about the transformation of a powerful desire and drive into a vehicle of Divine illumination. Including all aspects of ourselves everything is brought into the serve of the Divine will and Light-kingdom.

Thus, it is good that we look and see Christ in a form resembling us that we might come to believe, recognize and realize Christ indwelling us, and in this way experience the Divine illumination that sets the soul free. It is really all a matter of skilfull means, nothing more and nothing less.

Here, in this world, we may say that the play of male and female is important, and likewise the family unit in terms a rasing compassionate and spiritual human beings - a noble humanity. Relatively there is something very powerful about this play here, because of our present karmic conditioning. Yet, in the ultimate sense, in the World of Supernal Light, male and female is completely transcended.

We may also say this: The child 'born' of a couple's sacred marriage may not be physical at all, but could well be purely psychic or spiritual, as in the basic principle of the "magical child" in divine theurgy.

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Perseverando

the magical child

#13 Postby Perseverando » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:09 pm

Greetings All!

Thank you Tau Malachi for your kind words. It was definitely an AHA! moment for me, but as I reread your posts, already iterated there in fewer words, of course.

The concept of a magical child has always piqued my curiosity, and brought forth various questions, etc. It occurs to me that such a child could be of the threefold body of Melchizedek in nature, either the Nuda Veritas or naked body of Truth, the glittering Light Presence of the body of Glory, or the physical Presence of the body of Emanation. And that such a child could be one, another or all in one, as the case might be, according to the strength of the Ratzon Will/Desire which conceiveth it. Yes?

I am surely straying off topic now, but the previous contemplation gives rise to another. There is the story in the Traditions of how after the crucifixion and ascension, Mary departed to Gaul, purportedly with a child, a son - Lord Yeshua's and Lady Mary's magical child? And this child could be a pattern for other such conceptions of divine theurgy. Perhaps also we could view this child as the source of the Western wisdom traditions as we have come to know them.

I find it extremely thought provoking that we have a link between the true Christianity as was likely taught by Mary in Europe/Gaul/France and the appearance of Rosicrucianism and Gnosticism in the early first millennium in Western Europe. I recall you mentioning that the OSG/Sophian lineage can be traced back to 17th century France; which leads me to surmise an apostolic succession direct from Mary Magdalene. Am I just drawing lines?

Shalom!

Shane

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Succession

#14 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Greetings!

There are Gnostic legends that speak of a boy named St. Michael as the son of Lord Yeshua and Lady Miriam; likewise there are legends of a girl named St. Sarah as the daughter of the divine couple - both legends seemed to be filled with esoteric meaning. Generally speaking, in our lineage, we speak most often of St. Michael, a name that is a question: "Who is like unto God," but that may also be a statement; "One who is like unto God." The latter translation directly implies the Gnostic and Light Transmission; St. Miriam of Magdal being the holy cup into which the Lord poured out the fullness of the Gospel, outer, inner and secret teachings - hence the Apostle of the apostles. This is certainly one interpretation of a "magical child," for such transmissions are akin to living entities, representing a living presence and power.

The Sophian lineage is viewed as coming from St. Miriam, whether from the ancient incarnation of the Holy Bride or from an emanation restoring the Tradition at some point back in time - which way this came about no one can say, and in truth there is no difference. In any case the Anointed Bride continues to appear to us, and her presence is constantly felt in the lineage. This is how we come by our name - Sophians.

The idea of a magical child can have many applications - all of which imply a theurgic movement. For example, if one wrote a book, invoked the "order of angels" call a publishing house, and the book was published, that could be a "magical child." Yet, it could be far more subtle and sublime - an invisible influence in the subtle dimensions that brought about a radical change in the flow of events could also be a form of the "magical child." Likewise, as you mention, shane, it could be a manifestation of the threefold body - it could also be the generation of one's successor in a lineage. You see, this idea can play out in many different ways - but always it points to something living, and entity set in motion, as it were, that assumes a life of its own; hence the term "child".

The idea of a literal blood-line of Yeshua is not important to us, for that has little, if anything, to do with the Light Transmission of the Risen Savior. After all, Yeshua clearly said, "My kingdom is not of this world." We tend to take this to heart and are more prone to spiritual interpretations of Gnostic legends rather than literal ones. Though we can say that in the midst of love-play it is very likely Yeshua and Miriam had at least one child, if not more than one.

In terms of the Sang Graal, the Royal Blood, this is the blood of the Risen Christ to us - the blood that is the Fire and Light of the Holy Spirit. It is first and foremost in this sense that we speak of Lady Miriam as the Holy Grail into which Lord Yeshua poured out his blood - the fullness of the Holy Spirit or Christ Spirit. She is the Holy Apostle to whom we trace our lineage, along with the influence of one other Apostle. :wink:

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

the grail

#15 Postby Marion » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:17 pm

Shalom!

I am reminded in this diologe of Mary Magdalene as the grail, of the meaning of Magdalene brought uo in another post, which is most often translated as tower of the flock. This seems to imply something castle like, in which the king and queen of the kingdom lived. So does Tower imply royalty? Which would then point to Sang-graal , the royal blood? This image of the tower also reminds me of a sucession, or lineage, which seems to be spoken of in the leagends of Magdalene in France, and the magical child, Lineage?

Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Tower & Grail

#16 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Greetings!

The tower of the flock implies one who is upright or righteous (tzaddik), also one who has a higher vantage point; hence one who embodies a higher consciousness. It certainly implies a leader or preacher, a spiritual teacher and guide; hence the Apostle of the apostles.

The Mother of the Royal Blood and Holy Grail both imply an apostolic lineage, the lineage of all lineages, as it were, and yes, the true spiritual or magical child of Lord Yeshua and Lady Miriam.

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Nazorean

Question

#17 Postby Nazorean » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:07 am

Question:
Yeshua said, ,"they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven" How can this be reconciled with the idea of soulmates? If as spirit-souls our authentic identity is androgynous in nature there is then no purpose for the reunification of soulmates.
Also how can this be reconciled with the Gnostic teaching of the masculine and feminine Aeons like Christ the Logos and Christ the Sophia?

Amin's Peace...

- Yahisha

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Play

#18 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 pm

Greetings Brother Yahisha!

The quote you cite is a statement about souls "in heaven," not on earth; hence of the inmost part of the soul of light and the soul in attainment. Thus, we are talking about the realm of Yichud (unity) versus the realm of Perud (separation), the realm of Being and realm of Becoming - in Supernal or Messianic consciousness one does not necessarily contradict the other.

This is a great mystery, how one soul of light may manifest as two, male and female, facilitating the process of individuation, self-actualization and self-realization. In terms of soul-mates we are talking about one Neshamah that emanates two Ruachot-Nefeshim at the same time. The meeting and union of these two in the realm of Becoming serves to facilitate the full realization and embodiment of the holy Neshamah (Supernal Soul) in the material dimension.

This is part and parcel of the soul arising from an unconscious primordial unity to individuate, so as to enter into a conscious unification in which neither the individual or universal is "lost" but both are fulfilled in one another - hence the entire purpose of emanation-creation-formation-action we call "creation." The individuation of the masculine and feminine are part of this process, allowing a full actualization of the soul's potential. At least this is the view of the Christian Kabbalah taught in the Sophian Tradition.

It is all about potential being actualized and realized - for that there must be a coming into substantial being.

This contemplation directly reflects the purpose and meaning of the material dimension of creation and the necessity of physical incarnation in the Self-realization process. Ultimately, the soul transcends the need for physical incarnation, but until that point in its development and evolution physical incarnation serves as a vehicle for Self-realization. One does not make progress in the development and evolution of the soul in the afterlife states, but the afterlife states are the arising of the development and evolution accomplished in the incarnate state - at least in terms of the cycles of evolution corresponding to the present human condition.

In terms of the Aeonic Beings, such as Christ the Logos and Christ the Sophia in classical Gnosticism, the answer lies in your question - their union leads to a transcendence, just as does the union of soul-mates; hence the teachings on the masculine and feminine aspects of of Aeonic Beings reflects Gnostic teachings on soul-mates. :wink:

In essence, one must use the karmic continuum to transcend the karmic continuum, much like how we use thought in meditation to transcend thought and thinking. In the matrix of creation there is a play of male and female, and various principles and forces, all of which we learn to utilize as a vehicle for enlightenment and liberation.

Of course, as Sophians, we see the truth of soul-mates play out between Lord Yeshua and Lady Miriam, and in our Lady and our Lord we gain insight into the true meaning of the meeting and union of soul-mates; the revelation of the Pleroma of the Human One, the image of the Bridal Chamber. (By "soul-mates" we do not mean the idle overuse of the term common in our modern language, but something much more exceptional and dynamic that transcends the two individuals involved and extends light to many.)

In the ascent through the heavens into the Supernal Abode, Ruach and Nefesh are reintegrated into Neshamah - thus there is no male and female to be wed. Yet, 'here' in this world, there is a play of male and female, and the delight of soul-mates, all for the sake of Perfect Joy!

We may say this: There is separation for the joy of unification, and it all transpires in a mystery.

Perhaps this extends the contemplation a bit further...

Blessings & shalom! :D
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

union

#19 Postby Marion » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Shalom!

It seems like the power of soul mates meeting and uniting in this world, such as Yeshua and Magdalene, is partially because when they unite on this earth, all aspects are united. Because if soul mate in the Sophian Tradition means that two people share the same Neshamah, if they meet and unite in this world, become one flesh, then their Nefesh/Ruach is also united, which tends to be rather explosive. This is why, as Malachi pointed out, when soul mates unite in this world, their work and light extends far beyond the reaches of their own human relationship. How could it not? It's sort of like a super nova, in that, how can you tell a super nova, Okay, now just stay in this one little space and don't go outside of it, that would be impossible. We can even see super Nova's with telescopes from earth! that's really far reaching! This also seems to be why it is said that in order for the second coming to transpire, more soul mates need to meet and unite. I'm wondering if one of the reasons for this is the energy that soul mates bring into the world? and also because that seems to be a large part of the second coming-the coming of the bride, is this balance between the masculine and the feminine.

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Rebekah

#20 Postby Rebekah » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:09 am

Shalom Marian!

It is truly a great blessing for soul mates to meet and unite on this earth, and the energy of this is indeed much like a super nova, extending far beyond their own human relationship. Yet if we seek to find our soul mate in order to facilitate the Second Coming, I wonder if we would be misplacing the focus of our attention.

While the unification of soul mates is a great blessing, it seems we must each seek unification inwardly. As Yeshua says in the Gospel of Thomas, "when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner, and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one.....then will you enter the Kingdom." It seems it is this balance between the masculine and the feminine, whether inwardly or between soul mates, that will help to bring about the Second Coming.

Blessings!
Rebekah

Sophia Fellowship

O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Hieros Gamos

#21 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:35 pm

I'd have to agree that I would not predicate the second coming on the literal meeting and union of soul mates, however wonderful and powerful that might be, but upon the mystery of the hieros gamos realized inwardly. After all, this is the true ground of the meeting and union of soul mates, and it is the real purpose of the meeting and union of souls mates; hence an inner realization of the Self, Christ.

In terms of soul mates meeting and uniting I can't help but recall Tau Elijah's teachings. He said we ought to enter into every relationship as though with our soul mate. Likewise he said that we should neither expect to meet or soul mate nor doubt that we will in this life, but entertain the sacred quest of the soul mate as though for the Holy Grail. What he meant by this was that, perhaps, it is not the object of the sacred quest but the quest itself which was the real power - perhaps the quest is the object/goal.

Here we may speak a secret. If two lovers are well matched, and if they embrace one another as souls mates, perchance they can become the emanation of the soul mate to one another by way of Divine Grace.

What is the real meaning of soul mates, the real power of a soul mate? It is the Beloved come to us in physical form so that in body, mind and spirit we might enter into the mystical embrace and experience union with the Beloved. In this sense, the entire body of teachings on soul mates is actually an expression of the arayot, the mysteries of sexual mysticism in the Kabbalah. At the heart of the arayot is the spiritual practice of embracing one's lover as the Beloved incarnate, and as one's very Self and Soul; hence as the Soul Mate.

This is quite close to the experience of meeting one's Holy Tzaddik, though in the case of meeting our Tzaddik the union is on a psychic and spiritual level, not that of physical intimacy - save that when we meet our Tzaddik we most likely will choose to live close to them for the sake of the Light Transmission that occurs in their physical presence. In essence, to us, they are the physical manifestation of the Beloved - at least, this view is our spiritual practice in discipleship as we seek to open ourselves to the Gnostic and Light Transmission.

In terms of our Tzaddik and Sacred Circle, it is as though one Soul of Light is embodied by the entire circle, akin to two lovers who might embody one Soul of Light in male and female form. In other words, the metaphysical principles behind the teachings on soul mates might not be quite as linear as they initially sound and might play out in diverse ways and on various levels - it is all about meeting and uniting with the Beloved, the true essence of the hieros gamos.

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Doug M

#22 Postby Doug M » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:33 am

Greetings, All -
This is my first post on the board, and I'm so pleased to find such a group of intelligent and perceptive posters.

To return to Al's original post, I believe he may be onto something when he speaks of a woman's desire for possession of a man and man's desire for conquest of a woman. Both of these distorted forces/attractions speak to a type of objectification of the opposite sex or, to paraphrase Buber, an "I-It" relationship instead of an "I-Thou" relationship. The desire or the wanting bound up in the attraction seem to play a large role in this. Those who are sensitive energetically, from either gender, may notice an unpleasant pervasion of a rapacious feeling at being the object of such attentions or intentions, even if they are subtle. It feels in some cases like being prey. Tau Malachi's comment about men learning to behold and appreciate the Mystery in womanhood presents a means for evaluating one's consecration to the relationship and correcting it if called for.

That's why I so appreciate the story of Yeshua's unconditional love extended to the woman at the well (was this Magdalene?). Upon being invited to share her quarters for a while, he replies that he has already loved her, and that only he could love her. She does not initially understand, for the element of desire seems entirely lacking in Yeshua; otherwise why would he not act? Oftentimes, we cannot recognize the presence of true love, a love that lacks the rapacious quality we are so accustomed to. Yet, this Love, which might be closer to an aesthetic sense of wonder and contemplation than to anything we commonly call or know as love, is a true unconditional love, one that overlays the participants like a calm sea instead of overpowering them like a rogue wave.

Perhaps wrath and anger evoked could be seen as the flip side of the amount of desire remaining in oneself and used as an indicator of work remaining to be done interiorly?

Blessings,
Doug M.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Spiritual Love

#23 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:26 pm

Greetings & welcome, Doug!

I believe the point you make is an essential one, for the issue seems to be a question of our motivation or intention as we enter into a relationship, and this may be said of all our relations. Do we live only in the surface consciousness, bound by the Ignorance, or do we live from within - from the sanctuary of an open heart?

It seems in the unenlightened condition we are prone to entering into relationships with a violent inclination - the Desire to Receive for Self Alone. When our desire is not met, sever negativity is the natural outcome. Whether intentional or unintentional, we have made a person, a sentient being, into the object of our vital desire, and sought to take possession of them. It is an interesting question as to whether or not we ever 'see' the actual person or only our projections upon them when this happens.

There seems to be another way indicative of true love - the shift towards the Desire to Give in place of the Desire to Receive, along the lines of what your mention. Your example with Master Yeshua at the well is a perfect illustration of this spiritual love that seeks to give Light and Life.

Following along the lines of the mystery of hieros gamos, the sacred marriage, it does not seem to have as much to do with the physical as with the spiritual; for if there is a playing out of the mystical union on the mental, vital and physical levels, it is all founded upon the spiritual union - a conscious unification with Divine Being. Only then can we truly speak of the hieros gamos occurring on mental, vital and physical levels - a union of male and female with a very different motivation and intention behind it.

It must be pointed out that we have examples of the sacred marriage in which sexuality was not involved at all, but rather it was the joining together of holy men and women happened purely for the sake of teaching and initiating others - the imparting of the Light Transmission. In other words, it is an expression of pure spiritual love in its true essence. Sexuality may or may not be invloved, but if it is the root is in this Desire to Share or Give, and is in the Mother Spirit; hence a spiritual and unconditional love.

It does seem that any taint, distortion or obstruction we find in our relationships (all forms of relationship) ought to be recognized as an impurity in our own consciousness to be worked out inwardly. In so doing all of our relationships become vehicles of the spiritual life and practice. After all, the one person who connects all of our relationships is us - so if some sort of negativity keeps arising in our various relationships it is wise to notice the line that connects all of the dots.

This seems integral to any progress towards a higher consciousness, let alone Christ consciousness.

In terms of love, as with anything good, we can say this: It is in being loving that we receive and experience love; it is in giving that we actually receive what we so deeply desire.

This aspect you brought up seems so important I could not help but add the thoughts it invoked as I contemplated it...

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Perseverando

giving and receiving

#24 Postby Perseverando » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 pm

Greetings All!

Ah... so contemplating all of our relationships can reveal much of how well that we might direct our divine intent or kavvanah (or how we miss the mark). In contemplating any obstructions or impurities in our relationships, particularly in scrutinizing our expectations (self-grasping), we might then better redirect our kavvanah closer to the target, so to speak. Yes?

If we were to truly consider all of our relationships, perhaps we might begin by contemplating our intimate relationship with the planet Earth at large as we labor to redeem the divine sparks, and our relationships and exchange of energy essence with Her various mineral and microbial as well as plant and animal lifeforms as they provide our sustenance and service. Then we can turn to face our relationships with other human beings in our daily work and recreation, and, according to the spirit of the original post on this topic, our relationships with our love partners. Most especially we should then direct our contemplations to our relationship with a spiritual mentor or tzaddik as well as with our associates on the path of return and the sacred circle of tzaddikim. Of course the ultimate contemplation/meditation would be concerning our relationship with Christ and ultimately with God. The key would be in formulating a purified intent, kavvanah, based upon giving of oneself in love. As one progresses, this would become a most natural response once one awakens to the truth that the Beloved, the Christ Logos/Sophia, is in All. Yes?

We are male inasmuch as we are able to impart, and female inasmuch as we may receive, and the two are inextricably entwined always, whether we recognise it or not. Once this pure intent/kavvanah becomes the basis of all of our thoughts and acts, it seems that we would then perhaps begin living the Divine Life and become an active force in tikkune/mending. Here I perceive an abstract core running through the teachings of the 8 Initiations, the 4 Ways, and the way to Perfect Success as touched upon in the other various topics.

This way of ongoing adjustment of kavvanah through contemplation and meditation upon our relationships, especially as it plays out with our relationship with the Beloved, seems well reflected in the Sefer ha-Bahir (Section 150:65):

"Whoever delves into "mysticism" cannot help but stumble. As it is written "The stumbling block is in your hand." (Isaiah 3:6) You cannot grasp these things unless you stumble over them."

Shalom!

Shane

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Earthly Mother

#25 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:39 pm

Greetings!

Indeed, Brother Shane, when the Sacred Feminine is honored the principle of right relationship naturally extends itself to all our relations, which includes our environment, the earth and all creatures - spiritual love knows no boundaries in this regard, for all exists in a Sacred Unity, and within all beings, and all "things," there are holy sparks of the Divine.

The cultivation of our sacred relationship with our tzaddik and spiritual community is meant to be a womb that gives birth to Light and Life, Love and Compassion, for all beings - a vehicle through which we come to recognize and realize the Sacred Unity in which we all exists, and the spiritual love and compassion which is the natural product of this realization. As much as paying attention to our relationship with other human beings, we must pay attention to relationship in every context - including the environment, earth and all creatures.

This does directly connect to the Four Ways (or Five Ways), for the nature of the Way is an Integral Self-realization that must necessarily include the whole of ourselves and the whole of life.

From the Sophian persepctive, the whole of life is potentially a vehicle of Self-realization or Enlightenment, and we labor for the Enlightement and Liberation of "all our relations" - all sentient beings.

Perhaps the key question in right relationship in any context is: How does this serve to uplift, to enlightened and liberate? How does this seve to embody the Divine will and Divine kingdom?

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Penelope

#26 Postby Penelope » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:07 am

Greetings Everyone!

This morning I was assisting a gentleman from another culture in getting to the underlying idea for an essay he needed to write for college. The idea started with honesty in marriage, then went to communication between husband and wife, then to releasing reactive judgment, then to seeing the spouse as a possession. In his cultural view, that was the underlying belief from which all the rest grew -- treating the wife as a possession or a slave.

This inspiring interchange brought to mind the beatitude about "Blessed are the poor in spirit....." That statement seems to point to one who possesses nothing -- not even their spiritual idea. Perhaps our male/female experiences are a means to help us more and more dissolve the need to possess, to become poor or empty, which allows a flow and complementarity. Yeshua and Magdalene seem to demonstrate this potential of perfect complementarity that is within humanity.

Blessings!
Penelope

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Profound

#27 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:54 am

Greetings Sister Penelope!

You strike upon a profound truth in your comments, for what, indeed, is ours to possess, whether in terms of people or anything in this world? We enter into this world poor and naked, and in the same way we depart from it - all that we take with us is our experience and the knowledge, understanding and wisdom we have acquired through it. The entire idea of possessions is a delusion, much as the preacher points out in Ecclesiastes.

I'm reminded of an interpretation that occurs in the Sophian teachings of the saying you quote, "Blessed are those who are empty of thmselves, for they shall be Spirit-filled." They will be able to love and be loved, hence the experience of the Divine Kingdom or Divine Illumination.

The extension of this contemplation to not even possessing one's spiritual ideal is insightful! One may experience Divine Illumination, but one cannot possess it. The idea that enlightenment is to be "attained" as though some sort of "possession," or as some sort of fixed or static state, is exactly what prevents the experience of enlightenment.

This same principle seems directly reflected in the idea of a spouse as a possession, which prevents any true love from entering into the relationship.

What a beautiful wisdom jewel...

May the Mother teach us the wisdom of emptiness, amen.

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Penelope

#28 Postby Penelope » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:52 pm

I've been contemplating the idea of releasing all possessing, and when I get a sense of that, there is a profound joy that arises along with a feeling of freedom. It seems as tho a great amount of energy (sparks?) is compressed in holding onto what we possess. Even aversion seems to be possessing -- possessing a judgment of dislike. I've noticed that, when allowing this practice of continually releasing/letting go, even thoughts can become possessions.

So to circle back to relationship -- practicing owning nothing when interacting with others, especially those closest to us, is a practice of tikkune and would create a bond that transcends personality.

Shalom!
Penelope

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Transparent

#29 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:42 pm

To "own nothing" seems to imply being open and sensitive - transparent. It seems to imply an open heart that is just loving. This would seem to be the noble ideal of 'right relationship' (righteousness).

When we are transparent the light of love naturally and spontaneously shines through us.

Giving and Receiving Practice is a method through which we might cultivate this capacity, beginning with those who we consider loved ones and friends, and then extening the practice to include those we call "strangers," and eventually even those we might deem "enemies." Of course, we must seek to ground and integrate this practice into our lives through active and practical expressions of love and compassion so that it is more than an internal meditation or "good intention."

Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Gnosis and Gnosticism”