Am I My Brother’s Keeper?

Martina

Am I My Brother’s Keeper?

#1 Postby Martina » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:40 am

Greetings in the Light of the Holy One!

"Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?”

“I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?”"
(Genesis 4:8-9)

The sentence “Am I my brother’s keeper?” kept coming up in my meditation this week.

It seems that it is deeply connected to the commandments given to Moses, obviously to “You shall not murder." But it seems the question implies the honoring of the deeper bonds between all of creation. It points to living in oneness and to the teaching of Lord Yeshua "Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

The sentence also reminds me of being co-creators with God instead of what happens just being ones destiny that can't be changed. There is much resonance with the responsibility we have been given.

May we become our brother's and sister's keepers, as Yeshua is for us!

Shabbat Shalom,
Martina

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Better to Keep

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:26 am

Shabbat Shalom, Martina!

One remembers here in this story how the three spiritual 'races' express themselves: Abel represents faithful humanity while Cain represents bestial humanity. As yet, there is no appearance of Seth, who represents spiritual humanity.

Indeed, this instance contrasts the sanctity of life with Cain murdering Abel. It's a nightmarish moment of such profound separation, such self-cherishing, that Cain literally believes he's killing his brother, when actually he's also killing himself. This is the trap of believing in a fixed or static self that is in any way inherent or independent of another. Everything we do or say, we do to ourselves.

Following Cain's defensive, even sarcastic response, I've always found the Lord's question to Cain fascinating: And the Lord said, ‘What have you done? Listen; your brother’s blood is crying out to me from the ground! The ground here is speaking. This is an important proof-text for teachings regarding the matrix of creation remembering events of the deep past and expressing that remembrance with the beings-forces resonant with the events. In other words, where Cain slew Abel, he created a negative power zone. Moreover, the ground here is a powerful Hebrew word: Adamah.

From adamah in Genesis, Adam is made 2. Adam is more than a man: Adam is humanity itself. Another more esoteric contemplation then regards the nuance of a kind of matrix of adamah crying out against the slaying of itself. Adamah is crying out to Adam of its self-destruction. What is the Lord's judgment? That adamah will no longer yield for Cain or bless him, but drive him restlessly all of his days, like an earth-bound spirit.

Such is the fate of one who falls into evil. Believing they're independent from others, the illusion of separation makes everyone appear separate from oneself, until only after an act of violence. The truth we are each other's keepers comes suddenly for Cain when it is too late. Only after does Cain find himself while he lives already in hell for having murdered himself.

Better to keep each other than to lose the true self of our holy soul.

"Love your friends like your own soul, protect them like the pupil of your eye."

Elder Gideon

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”