Contemplation

Phillip

Contemplation

#1 Postby Phillip » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:30 am

I wanted to present this passage from Romans. I wanted to contemplate it myself, but I thought it might be interesting to include others and invite others to contemplate it with me, commenting upon it when/if things arise:

Love

9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord. 20On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Marion

#2 Postby Marion » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:39 pm

Shalom Phillip,

A couple of other verses come to mind while reading this passage from Romans. When Yeshua says on the cross, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do." It seems like the basic teaching here is reminding us that the world is sacred as it is. In that, it's not going to change over night, which reminds me of how Malachi always says, "Nature slowly savours her evolution." It is an interesting question, Would it be right for a person who sees to yell at a blind person and be mad at them because they do not know what the color purple looks like? No. Rather one would seek to aide the blind person if they need help crossing the street or piking out the right color shirt to wear. Likewise, does it do anyone any good to be angry at the theif, or the ignorant, or Murderers? Indeed, what this passage from Romans seems to be speaking about is one must have compassion for beings here, pray for our liberation from slavery to the Demiurgos and Archons. It also seems to be saying, act as elder brothers and sisters here, not in an arrogant, I'm better than you way, but realising the potential of all beings-enlightenment, and try and draw it out. That seems to be the key. How to draw out the greatest amount of potential in beings.

There also seems to be another thing to be drawn out of these verses. "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and the rest will be added unto ye." This seems to be VERY important to remember. I have certainly caught myself thinking, Well, when I'm done with school, then I'll study more, or when I'm done with my homework and the house work, and that painting, and..... then I'll study and practice. Granted there are some things that must be done, However finding the right balance between things of th eworld and spirituality seems to be important. Which is different for each person. For some people, Studying every once in a while and practicing a little bit is good. For some every day, And for some 24-7. It all depends on what one is inclined to do. It also seems like when one begins to find this right balance, the spiritual life and mundane life will begin to merge, so that one begins to find aspects of spirituality in ones garden, in Chemistry class or sitting at a stop light. :D
Something that seems to some this all up is, Beings will do what they will do here, according to each or their will's, there is no changing this.

I have a question, What does it mean when it says that Burning coals will pour on their heads???

Blessings,
Marion

Phillip

#3 Postby Phillip » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:41 am

Yeah, I wondered about that one, too.

I wonder if it has to do with our expectations. I notice that in this world we are often trying to get control of things and events, to make for ourselves a safe, predictable world, often at the expense of others. Ironically, we sow the seeds of our own demise or at least our own misfortune in this... but such is karma. I wonder if this response that Paul speaks of is a means to take oneself out of a particular karmic continuum? When people plan and plot and attempt to include us in their schemes, either as an ally or an enemy, but we respond with love, compassion, does this confuse the scheme? I think at least we are removed from the particular karmic continuum which is a burning ground of sorts for those engaged in it. Maybe each attempt to take control is a particular karmic continuum, and therefore a particular kind of "burning coal". These are what thoughts come to my mind regarding this.

But some other thoughts that come to mind have to do with remaining compassionate and refraining from negativity, even when another intentionally or unintentionally harms us. This is a practice that I have found challenging, and no matter how successful I become at this practice, I always find another layer at which I could perform better. His first statement in this regard seems the ideal which is the most challenging to atttain, "Love must be sincere." Now here he isn't talking about the sincere love we have for friends or family, it seems to me, but for those we despise and those who despise us. This is more challenging.

When I am successful at withholding negative actions, I find negative speech. When successful at withholding negative speech, I find negative thoughts. When successful at withholding negative thoughts, I find negative feelings. When these feelings move within me, I can begin to love... but a sincere love... WOW! Another layer still!

Ultimately, the aim seems to be about accomplishing this sincerity of love in the midst of someone commiting wrongs towards us. While I know that the purpose of this is not only about self-mastery, but about a dance with spiritual forces, it is still challenging each time to maintain this dance and not get caught up in the subjective interpretation of the energy. Indeed, I see that these acts are nothing more or less than dark forces seeking to perpetuate their existence, but even in seeing it, the challenge of dancing to uplift and transform them still remains... the challenge to respond with love and compassion still remains. I suppose I thought that once I saw this, it would be easy to uplift and transform them, and that I'd always catch myself...oops. Another expectation bites the dust. ;-)

phillip

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Love of Christ

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 am

Greetings Phillip and Marion!

These verses seem to speak to the aim of the spiritual life and practice - a radical change in consciousness. What St. Paul is speaking about is the opposite of the bestial nature - it is an invocation of our human spirit or intelligence (Ruach) and the divinity that is inherent in it (Neshamah). He is speaking of being fearless, for it is fear that leads us to anger and the greater darkness of hatred - that which leads us to the greatest violence or evil.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21).

If one looks into chapter thirteen St. Paul says, "...for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law" (13:8). In other words, St. Paul is speaking about something beyond the moral dimension, something of the spiritual dimension, and he is speaking about living from a higher consciousness, which is the authentic spiritual life. Constantly, moment to moment we have a choice, to live from the lower consciousness of the bestial nature or to live from a higher consciousness. If we seek a change in consciousness we must constantly make a choice for the higher consciousness - in so doing we embody the higher consciousness and establish the ground for a radical change in consciousness - the possibility of supernal or Messianic consciousness.

One of the things that we must notice is that we are enslaved by negativity - by such things as jealousy, envy, petty selfish desires, anger, hate and the like. These are as cords that bind the soul to the dominion of the demiurge and archons, the karmix web. The love of which St. Paul speaks is freedom - from the demiurge, the web and the law. Once I recognize I am a peson of Light who has come from the Light-continuum, why should I put myself under the law again, why should I return to the bondage of slavery? No, indeed, I will seek to live according to the Truth and Light, which is the love of Christ (the Light-presence).

I would go a step further than St. Paul and say, "Pray for the enlightenment and liberation of others, pray for the mercy of God for your enemies - do not hope for judgment or wrath to befall anyone." That, too, is a failure to love and the intention of non-violence. In love how can I hope for the injury of anyone? Yet, truly, Brother Paul is speaking of the key to this love - no longer being the doer; hence the spiritual meaning of letting God be the judge.

What is this heaping of coals on the heads of one's enemies? Isn't this a fire of purification, the potential that such love might transform and illuminate your "enemy"? The phrase seems to be a skillful means of encouraging those as yet in bondage to the egoistic self to practice the love of Christ. Yet, at the same time, it points to creating the conditions in which one might serve to facilitate a spiritual rebirth of another spirit or soul.

There is one mind but two paths: one is the way of the unenlightened and the other is the way of the enlightened ones. It seems, from moment to moment we must be mindful and choose wisely which path we follow. At the same time it seems we must remember that the mind that in unenlightened and the mind that is enlightened is one and the same mind - the primordial ground of consciousness is ever the same, without trace or taint or stain. At any instant we may set ourselves free in Christ.

It seems the challenge to love is the I-thought, for apart from it love and compassion seem innate. Perhaps the truth is, "I" cannot be loving, but Christ in me loves and is loving.

These are the thoughts that arose with my initial contemplation this morning...

Blessings & shalom!
Last edited by Tau Malachi on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#5 Postby Rebekah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:47 pm

Shalom!

It seems curious that Paul would say "Hate what is evil" since hating seems the very nature of evil itself. I can't help but think of Yeshua's teaching in the Sermon on the Mount: "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person." This seems more in accord with Paul later saying "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Do not desire evil

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:23 am

Greetings!

Perhaps by the phrase "hate evil" we may understand a figure of speech that points out that if we really look and see evil it is not desirable at all; for when we enact evil, usually we do not see where it leads us and do not fully realize what we are doing. It is rather like the thought of putting one's hand into a fire - knowing what it would do, who in their right mind would want to do that! The thought would not even cross one's mind.

If I "hate evil" is it that I'm looking and seeing evil for what it is and, thus, do not desire it? If I truly look and see it, will it enter into my mind any more?

Hating hate, how interesting! What comes to mind is another turning of evil on itself. My beloved Tzaddik was always fond of saying, "When doubt arises turn it on itself - doubt your doubt."

I am also reminded of an essential truth: Every form of negativity we can name is the manifestation of the same opposite manifestation - in other words, in every form of negativity the spark of its positive manifestation is present. We only need to remove the klippah - the husk or shell.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Perseverando

hate as a figure of speech

#7 Postby Perseverando » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:16 pm

Greetings All!

I am beginning to see how important it is to get past the English translations of the scriptures, get past the klippah, the husk and shell of ignorance and misunderstanding, to truly get to the kernel of the intended meaning. I realize that in not being native speakers of Greek or Aramaic or Hebrew, we can be rather at the mercy of various dry-bones scholastic translators. It takes one who embodies the Holy Spirit to decipher these mistranslations of what were apparently figures of speech, or more correctly idioms. Tau Malachi, these insights are truly a blessing!

This use of the word hate to denote more a sense of an enlightenment which dissipates darkness, attachments and aversions, thus ignorance; I can see now how the ancients could use the word in such an idiomatic way. Just as St. Thomas does with "Hate your mother and your father.."

I will now read and get a deeper meaning from the word hate in the scriptures for sure. :o

Shalom!

Shane

lleyr

#8 Postby lleyr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:48 pm

........."One of the things that we must notice is that we are enslaved by negativity - "

This is why Philippians 4:8 says:
"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is hondorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worhty of praise, think about these things".

Mark

Marion

practice

#9 Postby Marion » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:20 pm

Shalom!

The verse from plilippians that Mark quoted reminds me of the teaching that for realised beings, even the lifting of a finger is purely intentional, so that, every moment, every second of every day and night is in meditation, so that the meditation never ceases. Which also seems to be intimately connected to compassion, because if every moment is a meditation, then how could one not possibly be compassionate? This also seems to be the "goal" of the siritual life and practice? This also seems to be connected to the moment to moment choice we have to live from a higher consciousness that Malachi spoke about in his first post?
All Blessings,
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Continual Prayer

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:35 am

Greetings Sister Marion!

Yes, indeed, the aim of all authentic spiritual practice is love and compassion. If we are to speak in terms of the Law (Torah), love and compassion are the Essence or Light of the Law, the fulfillment of the Law by which the Law is transcended. As is said in the New Testament, the Law is bondage to "sin" and "death," which is to say to negative karma; love liberates us from this bondage and compassion makes us immune to negativity - we are naturally drawn into union with the Holy One of Being through love and compassion.

Consider the theurgic act of "banishing" negative forces. If there is love and compassion, there is nothing for negative influences to link with. This would seem to be the real power of banishing klippotic influences.

When shades and shadows enter and assault there is always some form of impurity in consciousness, some inner negativity, which they play upon. There is no need to fight the negativity, one merely needs to restore oneself to that which is positive and cultivate love and compassion; hence make a choice for love, for active compassion.

From the Giving and Receiving Practice we learn that the very idea of "friend," "stranger" and "enemy" is a klippah, a compromise of love and compassion; it is the product of self-grasping and the egoistic self. These are mental-vital constructs for the person we feel benefits us, the person we feel does not benefit us and the person we feel causes us harm; and of course, as we know, these are ever shifting categories in the mind and heart, as we shift people from one to the other dependent upon our vital and egoistic reactions to them. Thus, these projects are subjective and by nature illusory - looking in this way we cannot see beings as they are or Reality as It Is. This creates cords that bind us, a bondage under the dominion of the Law and Demiurge (Ignorance).

Master Yeshua says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." This is the pure vision that does not "see" friend, stranger and enemy, but rather looks and see the true nature of beings, the holy spark and light that is in them - the good that is in them. Is a constant effort to look and see in this way a method of continual prayer/mediation, along with a constant and conscious effort to draw out this good?

Interestingly enough, love and compassion naturally leads to constant prayer - the desire that the needs of all beings are fulfilled, that all beings are healthy and happy and free.

It would seem that the cultivation of mindfulness and alertness is necessary for this - hence, purposeful and meaningful action from the heart, from living within the sanctuary of the heart.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Leslie Kaneel

No War necessary.

#11 Postby Leslie Kaneel » Thu May 25, 2006 9:15 am

Greetings,
Love does not defeat hate, evil, and all the dark forces, but, replaces it with the Presence of that which is Beautiful and Good,so that there is no room for destruction and corruption to live.
Therefore, there is no so-called "war between good and evil", but instead a more gentle replacement or removal of the "husk or shell" of binding ignorance.
These posts all very much bring to mind another statement of St. Paul in the first epistle to the Thessalonians (5:17) "Pray without ceasing;" - every moment in Living Presence of the Light-Continuum. This does take great inner courage and strength, for daily living on this planet can be ABSOLUTELY difficult. ----ABSOLUTELY Beautiful simultaneously!
Peace,
Leslie Kaneel.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Prayer

#12 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat May 27, 2006 1:29 pm

Greetings Leslie!

Indeed, St. Paul’s teaching that we can pray continually directly relates to this discussion, for as we go through our day we can uplift all that arises in prayer, whether praise and thanksgiving of the blessings of life or the invocation of help in the midst of the challenges; yet more, actively extending invisible assistance to those we see who are in need. Such prayer can be as simple as a conscious intention and a word or two, all in the confidence of faith in the Light-presence and Light-power of Christ.

I recall when I first heard the teaching on perpetual prayer without cessation and thinking to myself, “Gosh, how will I ever be able to do that?” I believed my tzaddik, Tau Elijah, was capable of that, but did not see how I ever would be able to maintain such a continuum of prayer. Quite naturally I inquired of Elijah about this. He said that first and foremost is was a conscious intention for the wellbeing and welfare of all living spirits and souls, the happiness of all beings – walking with an open heart, and the intent of love and compassion. Yet, he also taught that every thought, daydream, emotion or feeling, word and action was a prayer any time there was the presence of awareness – the awareness of the Divine or Sacred Unity. He would often say, “We are always praying, always invoking, the only question is: ‘To who are we praying’ and ‘what are we invoking’?”

It seems that a continuum of prayer is founded upon the holy remembrance of Christ within us and others, Christ within and beyond us – the Divine I Am (Eheieh).

In the gospels Master Yeshua teaches us that we need not pray with many words, but that with few words, and a clear and conscious intention, we may invoke divine assistance for ourselves and others. Joined to this teaching, walking with appreciation and gratitude – praise and thanksgiving to the Divine for life and light, we can entertain a constant continuum of prayer. Of course, here and there we may falter and fall into forgetfulness – it is only natural. But at any moment we can regain the presence of awareness and restore ourselves to holy remembrance of the Divine I Am in us.

There is one thought I would share, though, which I have found very important in my own spiritual life and practice. It is good that we are able to see that the spiritual life and practice here is akin to swimming upstream – that it can involve something of a struggle akin to the Salmon people spawning. That way in the midst of challenges we see what’s happening and understand and do not give up. Yet we also must be careful how often we proclaim the “difficulty,” for it can become a self-negation rather than an affirmation of Christ in us. As the saying goes, “With God, everything is possible.” What may be a struggle for us is effortless for the Light-presence (Christ) and the Light-power (Holy Spirit) in us, and ultimately we seek a dynamic surrender of cooperation so that no long are we the doer, but Christ in us is the doer – from struggle we enter into effortlessness, having laid our burdens down. Within and behind our spiritual struggle and practice this is our spiritual hope, our spiritual aspiration: no longer are we the doer, no longer is there personal effort, but the Mother Spirit accomplishes the Great Work with, in and through us.

May we realize our innate perfection in the Light of Christ; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Leslie Kaneel

Dynamic Surrender for deeper prayer!

#13 Postby Leslie Kaneel » Sun May 28, 2006 7:16 am

Greetings Tau Malachi,
"Dynamic surrender of cooperation so that we're no longer the doer, but Christ in us is the doer."
This is a pivotal place. I have too passive a surrender that isn't driven deep enough to be totally affective in service to the greater Good in daily life. What drives it deeper? What makes it dynamic?
Brother Michael, in his last post in a Pistis Sophia topic, I believe, has a key Teaching when he prays, "May Pistis invoke Sophia within us." Strenghthen faith to invoke wisdom.Perhaps it all comes down to strenghthening Faith in Christ as the first step.
In Hope,
Leslie.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Dynamic Surrender

#14 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 am

Greetings Leslie!

Suppose someone needed a job and was praying to the Mother to acquire a job, but sat around on the sofa all day watching TV, as though the Divine Mother was going to bring an employer to their front door to offer them a job – obviously that would be an ineffective surrender, and in fact would not be a surrender at all. Prayer for a job is fine, coupled with affirmation, creative visualization and meditation; however, to be effective one would have to be out each and every day seeking a job, ready and willing to work.

In terms of a dynamic surrender I suggest reading the teachings on “Perfect Success” in Living Gnosis – this outlines the principles of dynamic surrender in detail, and how we might take it far deeper in our spiritual life and practice.

Essentially, we are talking about how we can cooperate with Christ and the Holy Spirit in our lives – and this cooperation is basically the daily spiritual life and practice. All too often in modern spirituality there is no teaching of the need for daily spiritual practice and integration of our practice into all activities of our daily lives. The idea that we are going to unfold an actual self-realization without consistent daily spiritual practice is completely false – that’s not how the experience of Divine Gnosis transpires. Though it is Divine Grace that accomplished the Great Work and brings about our illumination, we must cocreate with her the necessary conditions – this is our “dynamic surrender.”

Our spiritual practice does not equal the enlightenment experience, but rather it comes by way of Grace (the Mother’s Force); however, our spiritual practice creates the necessary conditions for Divine Grace to move with, in and through us, and perhaps eventually to manifest as us. Basically, we want to learn to go within and live within, and to abide with the conscious intention of receiving the Mother’s Force, the Light from above; then, receiving the Divine Light from above, we seek to be guided from within by the Light-presence (Christ) and Light-power (Holy Spirit). To the extent we follow the Human One of Light in us and embody the Light-presence, we enact a dynamic surrender – the outer self surrendering to the Christ Self, allowing the Christ Self to take up this life.

What does this mean? In essence, each person must discover this for her or himself through the development of their own interior life, for we each have a life intention or true will of our own, and this dynamic surrender is enacting our life intentionality – the Divine Will for us. As we are each unique individuals, the nature of this dynamic surrender will be unique. In my own case, for example, I have had to surrender to becoming a very “public voice” of Sophia and to a very alternative lifestyle, quite outside the “norm,” and accept everything that comes with that, both the very positive aspects as well as the hardships. It is my bliss, really, but that does not mean it is always easy – I must bring my mind, heart and body into alignment with this true will and act as a conscious agent of the Divine Mother through a dynamic surrender. Thus, as much as speaking of a dynamic surrender we are speaking of our Call and answering the Call – we may be called, but we choose whether to answer the calling or not, all according to our freedom of will.

When we receive the Light from above and the Serpent Power begins to awaken we often need to make changes in our lives; likewise, we often need to workout vital and mental obstructions so that the mind, heart and life are brought into harmony with the Divine Will – our own true will. Quite naturally, many of us resist our Call by the Mother Spirit and it takes a bit of spiritual labor to remove our resistance and engage a full and conscious surrender. I’d dare say it is a constant labor in the spiritual path, this self-purification and self-consecration of surrender: Taking up our cross and following in the Way. Of course, rather than suffering, this cross is divine rapture – our true joy.

May we be empowered in the Way; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”