History of the New Testament

Frances E

History of the New Testament

#1 Postby Frances E » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Greetings,

I am struggling with something I read about the New Testament. I read that the King James version was completed in 1611 by 8 members of the Church of England. The translators edited previous translations of manuscripts written down hundreds of years after the last apostle died. They edited it in a way that their king and Parliament would approve.

To me, this seems more political than religious. The Bible was used to rule over a kingdom. I want this to be wrong, because it gives me comfort to have a faith I can rely on. But I also want my faith to be built on a foundation of truth.

Are the Gnostic Gospels older than this? How do we rely on them? How do we know what to trust? Of course there is direct, mystical experience of Christ, but what about the way we structure our lives to live by our faith?

I would really appreciate feedback. Thank you very much,

Francie

Brother Brian

Re: History of the New Testament

#2 Postby Brother Brian » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:20 am

Shalom Francie

Reading your post brings me to remembrance of my journey. We will constantly come to things that shake and challenge our consciousness into new places. What’s exciting here to me with your sharing this struggle is knowing the Holy Spirit is leading you into new grounds which sometimes when we experience this movement within it can be exciting or fearful. Praise Ma for this movement in your life that’s going to draw you closer to her.

This also made me contemplate that anything we read in books, or experiences with art or theater that makes us feel closer to God or inspires is the word in action. This movement inside that draws us up! Is this not something we can call the word of God? When we look outside and see the movement of nature is this not a movement of the word we are witnessing?

These were just some thoughts that came up and the question you ask will have different responses I suppose. I have witnessed a great movement with God from writings and teachings from the Apostles and Saints in our day and age that have far more Light then anything that I have read from past writings and again not everyone will have that same experience.

I am sure others will have more to say more directly about your question and I will be in prayer for you as your gospel unfolds for you!

Shalom
Brother Brian

sheryl
Site Admin

#3 Postby sheryl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:10 am

Shabbat Shalom, Sisters and Brothers!

Your question, Francie, has been reverberating in my prayers since reading it yesterday. Just as Brian has offered, this shaking of something we once trusted as an absolute seems to be a trial which many of us face.

In speaking specifically about the scriptures, about Holy Writings, my own shaking in this regard revealed that the Word of God transcends anything that is written. In fact we can say that Holy Writings are records of experiences of the Word of God had by the prophets, seers, and sages among us. And as each prophet, seer, and sage is a unique manifestation of the Sefirot or attributes of God, each's experience and description of the Word of God will be unique.

One of the many aspects of our lineage that I have adored is its perspective on Biblical scripture. We hold these writings up as quite lofty - being a vehicle through which we are able to connect with deeper understandings, with deeper mysteries of God. And the fact that this vehicle has been at times mangled as it passed through transcribing and interpreting by unenlightened men does not detract from its Beauty, from the HaBaD (Wisdom, Understanding, and Knowledge), that can be accessed in it and through it. A key is a basic understanding of God. Often, particularly if we have been part of what we call the outer Church - mainstream Christianity, we tend to think of God as a noun, as an object. Likewise God's Word, salvation, etc we perceive as nouns. But God is better understood as a verb, a movement, an energy. Such an understanding allows us to take an object, a noun, such as Biblical scripture, and instead of attempting to use it to pin God down to a single thought or idea, we use it to connect with the Spirit, the energetic movement or principle, behind it. Ultimately seeking to connect with the Infinite and Eternal, as Brother Brian has shared.

It is curious, something Paul said in one of his epistles also points to this:

Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? [2 Corinthians 13:5]

Living in faith has something to do with realizing that Christ is within us!

In a recent post by Tau Malachi, as he spoke of Tzaddik, an outer Tzaddik, the energy of the blessing of something outside of us could be felt, of something mirroring, speaking as Tzaddik within us, helping us to know, to realize, Christ within - the outer Tzaddik being a vehicle of our inner realization. Holy Writings, records of experiences of the Word of God, have this same purpose: to direct towards, to awaken within, to realize the Word of God within us.

With this incredible, unbelievable, indescribable intent, what are a few distortions, misinterpretations, or mistranslations in scripture at the hand of unenlightened men? It could even be that what we think might be a mistranslation, could actually be a vehicle pointing to something that is not quite ready to awaken within!

Thus there is reaching and not reaching until there is reaching!

Praise and thanksgiving this day and all days for the Mercy of El, for the writings of the Holy Ones that have been left for us, as vehicles for finding Eternal Life within, yet ever beyond!

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Frances E

#4 Postby Frances E » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank you Brother Brian and Sheryl!

What you both have written has lifted my sadness quite a bit. I was approaching this as having a crisis of meaning - as my own life's journey has been a quest to find the true God. After experiencing many spiritual practices and religions, each one bringing me closer to what felt right for me, I found Sophian Gnosticism. Or rather, the Spirit found me.

I had been having dreams about the Bridal Chamber and Light Bearer while immersed in Native American spirituality when I was living on a Native reservation in Canada, searching for Truth. I had no context to understand what Light Bearer could mean, and what the Bridal Chamber was, but events and dreams continued to happen, year after year. Then I found Tau Malachi's writings, and things began to make sense and have a context and meaning.

It helps very much Brother Brian that this shaking of the foundation of my faith can also be an exciting time, as it brings me closer to the Divine Mother. And Sheryl, thank you VERY much for what you said about God being a verb as opposed to a noun. I have been thinking lately of God as a noun, of a destination I must reach, and feeling that I will not be alright until I reach this destination. When I think of God as a verb, I can find God in the snowfall, in my young son, in the opening of my own heart. This means so much to me.

What were the beginning of your journeys like? Does faith ever feel solid to you, or is it more dynamic?

Bless you and thank you,

Francie

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”