Israel: The Victory of God (Genesis 32:28)

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Israel: The Victory of God (Genesis 32:28)

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:07 am

Israel: The Victory of God

“You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with human beings and prevailed”
(Genesis 32:28).

“You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel.”
This in intriguing, because nevertheless this patriarch is called Israel and Jacob alternatively throughout the remainder of stories about him in the Torah, so in fact he was still called Jacob. Indeed, for Jacob was his name on earth, as he was in himself, and Israel was his name in heaven, as he was in God Almighty (El Shaddai). There at Peniel his heavenly soul, his neshamah, came into him, and his heavenly person and earthly person were united, the inner and outer person being aligned and in perfect harmony – one holy and righteous human being. When this happened he received a new name, like Sarah and Abraham before him, and he became the ‘chariot’ of Tiferet in full, the beauty and holiness of the upper and lower Shekinah shone within and around him.

“You have striven with God and with human beings and prevailed,” indeed! The name Israel literally means “one who strives with God and is victorious.” This is the thrust of the name, for Jacob wrestled with and angel of God, Peniel, and was victorious, and he strove for greater knowledge of God and nearness to God, and was victorious. Why then mention his striving with human beings if the essence and meaning of the new name is about striving with God successfully? This is simple. Among the faithful and elect there are two grades of souls. There are men and women who are able to cleave to God and experience nearness to God during sacred moments, during study and contemplation, discourse, prayer and meditation, and worship, and then there are those holy ones who abide in God Consciousness the majority of the time, and who are able to cleave and draw near not only in sacred moments, but also when with ordinary human beings and in mundane circumstances. The former correspond with Jacob, and the latter correspond with Israel.

Listen and hear, and understand! Those who can cleave to God in mundane circumstances are aware of God in everything, and know that God is with them always and everywhere; they are able to see the good, and see God, in all people, the righteous and the wicked alike. Thus, wrestling with the angel of Esau, Jacob was able to see the angel Peniel; he became able to see the good, the divinity within Esau, his brother. Understand, Esau was a man of the Other Side and was completely bestial, and he acted as an evil doer often. Nevertheless, Jacob was able to see the good in him, the spark of holiness – he saw him as he was in God and as God saw him, in his innate perfection. This was the power of Israel, and it is through this that he was victorious with God’s power and God’s help.

Israel, this is the namesake of all who experience the dawn of God Consciousness, just as Yeshua is the name sake of all who realize Christ Consciousness, the supernal manifestation of God Consciousness (non-dual).

May we be victorious with God’s help! Amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Yonah

Re: Isreal: The Victory of God (Genesis 32:28)

#2 Postby Yonah » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:36 am

Greetings and blessings in the name of our Lord and Lady!

Thank you for the wonderful dialog on the name Israel and Jacob’s process.

The idea of non-dual awareness within the world has been a big contemplation for me the last few weeks. The first example of this is in people. I just had a conversation in mentoring with a companion about how we (and everyone) are perfect in God’s mind because in the mind of God, outside of time, we are at our perfection. I find this incredibly powerful. Seeing ourselves and others in this way changes everything! It means that anything that doesn’t seem “perfect” is actually process – not who the person is. How different our world would be if everyone could see God in every other person! In every interaction I’m making sure that if I don’t immediately see God in that person I am taking up the practice of reminding myself.

The second area of contemplation is in the situations within the world. I see so many people losing hope because they are caught up in the troubles that exist in society and between nations. Is part of this power of the name Israel to also see beyond the details of what is going on around us? That’s not to say we have rose colored glasses and pretend everything is perfect, but there is a seeming paradox of both feeling for the people and seeing that everything happening is part of the evolution of the souls on this planet.

I never want to be jaded and emotionless, but I also think that getting hung up on the state of the world is also folly. It seems that when this happens we tend to darken and lose all hope, so this is where it seems that in God’s mind the world in eternity has reached perfection and physical creation has rolled up back into the Light Continuum. It seems that if we can see the big picture and keep our hope, we can really be a much better help for the world and all beings – because we are truly present and thinking about what is really important – enlightenment and liberation?

I’m finding that when we look around and only see God, even when things are difficult, the world is really a very beautiful place and a great vehicle for our path.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Grace and peace to you in Hayyah Yeshua! Amen.

Your insights are lovely dear brother, lovely indeed. If we can learn to see the good in people, or see the divinity within all creatures, then perhaps we will learn how to see the goodness, the sacredness of all creation, and see how what’s transpiring in the world at anytime is happening in Divine Providence, or how within and behind all that transpires there is the dance of the Shekinah and movement of Ruach Elohim, the Spirit of God.

Let us always remember that concerning each movement of creation, save on the second day, God said, “It is good!” On the third day God said “it is good” twice, for the mending of the second day and to bring the second day along, so in creation, in its essence and nature, as it is in God (El, Elohim), all is good!

The naturally extension of seeing God within all people, and within all things, is seeing God within and behind everything transpiring in the world, and seeing how, indeed, what’s happening is exactly what needs to happen for the evolution and realization of souls, even if at times it is deeply troubling and confusing to us. This, of course, does not mean that we do not discern between good and evil, truth and falsehood, or that we do not actively choose what’s good and true, and respond as needed to evil. We can and do see what’s happening, but we look to see the will of God within and behind what’s happening, so that we might enact the will of God in whatever is happening, and draw out the good, the blessings, in whatever happens. It is, indeed, a transcendent or panoramic vision of life, the world, creation, and yet not removed from or avoiding what’s happening; this naturally gives us great skillful means, greater wisdom, understanding and knowledge to respond to what is happening as spiritual and godly people.

We need to understand, anytime we are over fixated on all of the evil in this world, and all of the evil of the unenlightened society, and we are getting worked up about everything that is wrong in this world, truth be told, most often we are projecting onto the world our own self-grasping and ego, and our own impure desires and fears, and all manner of psychological and spiritual issues we are not addressing in ourselves and our own life. This is not to say we should not notice oppression, persecution, injustice, and so on in society and the world, and even do what we can to rectify such things, but the “us and them” mentality, and the anger becoming hatred, must be recognized for what it is, the same old ignorance, the same evil, we are pointing at in others. Instead of pointing out all of the problems of unenlightened society and the world, and being part of the problems, it would be better to find a solution to some problem, and be the solution. If anyone wants to change the world, let them bring about that change in themselves, and seek to help others draw out the very same good from within themselves, not by force, but through influence and love, nurturing the good. This is godly, and this is righteousness – this is the way of spiritual Israel, anointed community.

If we think of Jacob and his way, while being a very strong and intelligent man, he is a very meek or humble man, and he is not swift to judge anyone, but rather, he continuously labors for right relationships, and whenever there is something between him and another, regardless of whether they are righteous or wicked, he seeks a compassionate resolution, and whenever possible, one good for all involved. If you consider him, and you consider his life, he had every reason to fall into bitterness again and again, and yet he did not, but he kept the faith, lived according to his faith, and sought to do whatever he could to bring about a greater good. It truly seems that Jacob, Israel, saw God in all things, and received all that came his way as from God, all in Divine Providence, and based upon this he responded to whatever was happening in his life, or the lives of those around him.

It is true, the Infinite One beholds us in our perfection, not our imperfection, in our righteousness, not our wickedness; and as such, the Holy One, in truth, does not judge, but rather, it is we who become bound up in judgment because of our self-grasping, and our own impure desire and fears. Bound up in self-judgment, and judging others, so we are judged. Understanding this, Adonai Yeshua teaches us, saying to us, “Judge not, lest you will be judged,” and also saying to us, “If you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will forgive you; but if you will not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” You see, there is no judgment as we would think of it in El Elyon, the Supreme, but as Yeshua teaches, the judgment is our turning away from the Holy One, or cleaving to the darkness and false light rather than to the True Light.

Seeing the good in others, becoming aware of God in others, so we are looking to see their perfection, and focusing upon this judgment is mitigated and suspended, and in compassion we can have mercy and forgive, and in so doing we receive mercy and forgiveness. As we give, so we receive. We are wise to remember this simple truth.

There is something more, of course, regarding our innate unity and perfection, or the truth of our heavenly soul, or who and what we are in God. Within and behind whatever is happening, this true being is a present reality, and this is true of others as well. In any moment, if we will return to God, we can bring the influence of our heavenly soul into our lives, and we can unify who we are in ourselves with who we are in God; hence, spiritual realization can happen like a flashing thunderbolt, in an instant! Praise God!

These are a few thoughts that arose that I was inclined to share.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Anna

#4 Postby Anna » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 am

Blessings of Peace to all!

Praise Ma for this lovely contemplation that empowers the Divine view of self and others! To look with eyes of awe and wonder at everything that transpires, whether good or ill in appearance, shifts us into our holy role as co-creators, co-laborers with God in all that we do on this Good Earth.

"God is in this place" has become a constant mantra for me and I am already seeing how this shift in view shifts the reality I experience. Letting go of projections of what I think "ought to happen" allows a greater energy to come through and guide situations and work in all who are involved. This greater movement of Spirit for the evolution, the process of souls, is why we are here. Perhaps this could be seen as our "secret labor" with God in the world.

This deepening discovery of what is in and behind appearance in this world is amazing to me, and points to the endless loving purpose behind creation. Depth of Good and Depth of Evil are coming together in a great union of opposites, and this peace between opposites is heaven on earth, as is spoken of so beautifully in the thread "Heaven: Peace Between Opposites" in the Christian Kabbalah section of the Forum.

I wonder what more might be drawn out of the struggle between Jacob and the angel of Esau, considering that Esau is Jacob's physical twin. Was a "spiritual twinning" pointed to in this struggle, perhaps a vital connection intended to be fulfilled later in future incarnations? Does Peniel reveal something of this to Jacob? I wonder if the blessing sought of the angel of Esau is related to the blessing that Isaac imparted to Jacob through the deception arranged by his mother, Rebekah. It seems that eventually the blessing Esau sold for a plate of beans might one day come to him in a later incarnation when he recognizes Tzaddik and can receive the blessing of the Light Transmission.

May we be empowered as Peacemakers and Light Bearers so that Heaven and Earth may be joined in us!
Shalom!
Anna

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Greetings and blessings in the Blessed Name of Adonai Yeshua Messiah!

In one teaching Esau corresponds with nefesh behamit, the bestial soul, and Jacob corresponds with nefesh elokit, the godly soul. According to Midrashim Esau wrestles his way out of the womb first, and is followed by Jacob, apparently making him the firstborn, destine to inherit the blessing and place of his father. Although there is the potential of nefesh elokit and ruach in all of us, and within and behind these aspects of the soul there is neshamah, at the outset, early in life nefesh behamit dominates us, and we exist in a state of nefesh behamit. As we mature, and we begin to access our greater intelligence (ruach), and we begin to have faith and seek to return to God, nefesh behamit is transformed into nefesh elokit, and we may follow in the way of the righteous ones, the tzaddikim.

On one level Jacob wrestling with the angel of Esau is Jacob struggling with, and overcoming, his own bestial nature, and instead following in the way of his human intelligence, divine nature and the inspirations of the Spirit of God. The transformation of the angel is the transformation of his nefesh, and instead of living as a beast of the field, Esau, he lives like and angel of God, Israel.

In another teaching, and in no way contradicting what has been shared above, the angel of Esau corresponds with the forces of the Other Side, the klippot, and specifically the angel of the klippah of the Shekinah – an adverse manifestation of Malkut, Shekinah. Thus, according to this teaching Jacob’s wrestling with the angel of Esau parallels Abram going out to battle against the Kings of Edom; it’s the same basic action, and from it both become great tzaddikim, and Masters of the Name.

Peniel, “face of God,” indicates that Jacob beholds the emptiness of all, including the klippot, and he beholds the holy spark in all things, including the darkest of the klippot, and so he sees God in all (Kol), and in this he is able to pacify, enrich, subjugate and destroy klippot, or able to shatter husks of darkness and uplift the sparks that were bound up in them.

Now, what face of God did Jacob behold? According to masters of the tradition it was the ‘face of Shaddai,’ the Almighty; and this corresponds with Zer Anpin, the “Little Face” – seeing the Holy Shekinah manifest as the countless hosts of angels, Tzavaot. In this we may remember his initial dream after his initiation as his soul began awakening, his dream of a ladder reaching from earth into heaven and angels ascending and descending upon it; seeing this in his dream, when he arose in the morning he said, “God was in this place, but I, I did not know it!”

May we understand that God is in this place, right here, right now, and abide in communion with Our God, Eloah. Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Anna

#6 Postby Anna » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:31 am

Ah, thank you for these points to add to contemplation, dear Tau! There are so many teachings to be drawn out in this story.

Lately the word "place" has been uppermost in thought and, with Elder Sarah's recent post in the Running and Returning thread, it seems like a good time to look into nuances of what Jacob means when he says, "God is in this place," for I cannot help but consider that this word, "place," might carry the meaning of heart and the dwelling place of God within Jacob. I had always thought of place as a location in space-time that was outside of person, but now I am seeing that every moment of every incarnation is a location in space-time as well. In fear Jacob's heart ran, but with his victory over the bestial self, his heart returned to its place, Jacob returned to who he was in God.

In struggling with nefesh behamit victory, netzach, is given when nefesh elokit overcomes the old self, the worldly self. It is intriguing that netzach/victory corresponds with the heart star in our teachings. When we are striving with God and human beings I wonder if this is not actually a struggle to open the heart and see as God sees. Is this how our intelligence is joined to our expression in incarnation, how ruach is united with nefesh so that together they may be a vehicle for service to the Kingdom of Heaven?

If I am coming from the place of heart, I can see God inside me, and if God is inside me then God must be in all humans, in all beings. God is inside me and sometimes I don't know it, but in the striving to cleave to God with my heart and soul and mind and life, then the Mother reveals something of what this cleaving actually means and its effect is to draw me closer to God and closer to the intelligence that views the good in self and others.

May we recognize God in this place wherever we go!
Shabbat Shalom!
Anna

Martina

#7 Postby Martina » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 am

Shabbat blessings to all!

Praise be to the Holy One for these teachings that bring great joy to the heart!

“Listen and hear, and understand! Those who can cleave to God in mundane circumstances are aware of God in everything, and know that God is with them always and everywhere; they are able to see the good, and see God, in all people, the righteous and the wicked alike. Thus, wrestling with the angel of Esau, Jacob was able to see the angel Peniel; he became able to see the good, the divinity within Esau, his brother. Understand, Esau was a man of the Other Side and was completely bestial, and he acted as an evil doer often. Nevertheless, Jacob was able to see the good in him, the spark of holiness – he saw him as he was in God and as God saw him, in his innate perfection. This was the power of Israel, and it is through this that he was victorious with God’s power and God’s help.”

I am reminded of an earlier teaching, that we could see everything we do as prayers and that some prayers are more well spoken than others. In prayer it is often our labour to align our view with the intention of the Holy One.

In the Shabbat Discourse it was reminded that often when we change our view on others as in “Giving and Receiving meditation” we give them the opportunity to change too. It was spoken that the labour belongs to us but the fruit belongs to the Holy One. Often our ego nevertheless expects thing to happen on a subtle level and gets somewhat discouraged if this does not come to pass.

This is a great lesson in faith and patience and I am praying about it. It seems much better to just carry an energy and trust in the Holy One without any demand. And to see, that like in a dream, it is up to us to bring a different energy. There are endless opportunities in our life to do this and this feels like Gods Grace in us and around us.

This seems to be in the struggle of Jacob with the angel of Esau.

I am grateful for any corrections.

In gratitude,
Martina
Martina

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Makom

#8 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:45 am

Shabbat Shalom!

I too am taken by the place, makom, from which Jacob thought he'd run to find all the while that it was within and all around. Rather than a place, makom is a space in consciousness, into which one breaks through only after the barriers are broken. In one practical sense for me, the contemplation of overcoming these barriers are essentialized in the lower three interior stars. Left unconscious, they are self-cherishing (root), desire (navel), and fear (solarplexus) and may be observed as the points of Yeshua's temptation (Matthew 4) in the wilderness for bread (root), personal glory (navel), and dominion (solarplexus). Made conscious, these same three lower centers are precisely how habad, gospel, is energetically transmitted one to another.

I will be allowed to ascend only as far as I've been willing to descend into these three lower centers. Together, they act in my experience as a tether, the length of which depends upon my inner work of submission to Messiah, Tzaddik, and community and purification with secluded prayer, gifted worship, and generosity. Overlaying this principle with Jacob, he's wrestling internally with his lower three interior stars, personified externally by the angel of his wicked brother. It's for insight that one wrestles. If and when I've ever felt my blind-spots or oldest fears completely surround me, I'm lacking liberating insight. So I must engage the process, the dialogue, by which these lower three stars' narrative put what they want on the table without being shamed or shunned. What instantly transforms this hostage situation is self-honesty. It is only by self-honesty that one can evacuate hell.

Perhaps it is self-honesty that opens one to insights transforming self-cherishing, desire, and fear. Insight is everything, the Word, dabar finally heard changing an unconsciousness wilderness, midbar into a place, a makom, of renewal, empowerment, and victory: Israel. How I've ever received transformative insight is always in the willingness to descend. It is ironic that spiritual victory, breakthrough, and liberation depend upon the unrefined fuel locked away deep in primordial self-cherishing, desire, and fear. In my journey, I used to believe the Spirit's help came from above my inner malaise. Now I know the Spirit's help comes from within what in me is as yet unconscious. This entirely inverts the place, the makom.

May all who are so willing to descend find the fuel to ascend.

Elder Gideon

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Israel: The Victory of God (Genesis 32:28)

#9 Postby sheryl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Shabbat Shalom, Dear Friends!

I am delighted this day by where each of you has taken Tau Malachi's teaching. My gratitude to our God for these blessings.

When you spoke insightfully of heart and struggle and victory, Sister Anna, thoughts of self offering began to swirl. And then while contemplating what Elder Gideon has shared, it comes to mind that self offering is descending, thus we can say that self honesty - not only self honesty, but other honesty as well - is what opens us to insights transforming self cherishing to self offering.

Perhaps we can say that makom is this place, this space, where self cherishing is transformed to self offering? Thus God is indeed there!

I am moved by the correspondence of Yeshua's temptations with the root, navel and solar plexus interior stars. Elder Gideon. My gratitude for this sharing. There is something real here, practical, applicable to us, here and now. Sister Anna mentioned Netzach/Victory, and Sister Martina, trust in the Holy One - all pointing to this, cleaving to God in all circumstances.

My existence, my life, is sustained by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. Blessed are you, Adonai, who brings forth the bread that sustains the heart of the human one.

My faith in Adonai Elohenu is complete and requires nothing. Blessed are you, Adonai, who brings forth rain that fructifies the vine, which gladdens the heart of the human one.

I worship and serve only God. I offer up my mind, my heart, my life to you, Adonai.

May our self cherishing be transformed into self offering. Amen.

Sheryl

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Israel: The Victory of God (Genesis 32:28)

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Grace and peace to you in Yeshua Messiah, our Adonai! Amen.

If you consider it, to live in a state of nefesh behamit, and in a state of fragmented consciousness and inner conflict left unresolved, this is to wander in the wilderness among wild beasts; this is to be driven by the herd consciousness, the mentality of unenlightened society. When we live in the state of nefesh elokit, and in a state of integrated consciousness, integrated self-awareness, with an open heart, free from inner conflict, this is to abide in “the place,” Makom.

Listen and hear, and understand! Truly, in the Messiah, the Anointing, it is we who are Makom, the dwelling place of the Holy Shekinah and Ruach Elohim; our person and life is where the Holy One dwells, and our nefesh is sanctified and holy, for we live according to our faith, and according to the truth and light revealed to us. Our very nefesh, the outermost part of our soul, becomes The Place, but for this to be recognized and realized, nefesh must be joined with ruach, and through ruach there must be discernment between good and evil, truth and falsehood, and we must chose to enact what is good and true, and so walk with God, living according to our faith.

As we know, there are two inclinations in the heart, the evil inclination and good inclination, and these correspond with the desire to receive and desire to give, respectively. The desire to receive in and of itself is not evil, but when divorced from the desire to give and manifest as desire to receive for self alone, then the desire to receive is an inclination to evil, and to violence, and is the cause of immeasurable sorrow and suffering. Ruach is centered in our heart, and ruach has the capacity to discern between good and evil, and the capacity to bring the evil inclination into submission to the good inclination, and this corresponds with the transformation of nefesh behamit into nefesh elokit. If understood, the evil inclination is a closed, or hardened heart, while the good inclination is an open heart, filled with love and compassion, and having room within it for everyone and everything. It is rightly called “The Place” on account of this!

Hod, submission, corresponds with the solar plexus, the “head of the best,” and this is exactly what needs to be done with our bestial nature, or evil inclination, and with our person and life; there needs to be submission, or surrender to the inner aspects of our soul, the indwelling Messiah and the Supreme – an active and dynamic self-offering. This brings Netzach, victory or dominion, also known as eternity – the realization of eternal life, or bornless being.

Look and see! When the heart is open, we are aware of the good in all, and God in all, and aware of the Sacred Unity underlying all that appears and transpires, and the influence of our neshamah, our heavenly soul or divine nature, enters into our incarnation. With this there is also a natural opening of the three upper interior stars, and specifically the brow star, the seat of neshamah. Therefore, truly, we may come to ‘see God,’ and gazing into every face, of an angel, of a human being, or any creature, we may behold the face of God.

Hod, submission, is the righteousness of the solar plexus, Netzach, dominion, is the righteousness of the heart – the victory or dominion of true intelligence and love; it is in this that we become an authentic human being, and may live as who and what we are in the Messiah and El Elyon.

Until we open our heart and access our true human intelligence, although we may be incarnate in human form, as yet we are not a human being; to come into being as a human being, a righteous person, requires a conscious evolution, a conscious labor, an active and dynamic surrender to the Messiah and Holy One.

Here we may say, in wrestling with the angel Jacob grew up and became a man, a human being, and so it is for every man or woman who seeks God and cleaves to God, and who opens their heart to God in all their relations, in so doing they mature and become a human being, a righteous person.

May God bless and empower us to this end! Amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”