Arnon

staroath

Arnon

#1 Postby staroath » Sat May 16, 2015 6:02 am

Of interest of late has been a contemplation around the passage found in Numbers that immediately follows the telling of the people being attacked by the firesnakes and the relief given by the bronze serpent set up on high:

10 The Israelites set out, and camped in Oboth. 11 They set out from Oboth, and camped at Iye-abarim, in the wilderness bordering Moab toward the sunrise. 12 From there they set out, and camped in the Wadi Zered. 13 From there they set out, and camped on the other side of the Arnon, in[e] the wilderness that extends from the boundary of the Amorites; for the Arnon is the boundary of Moab, between Moab and the Amorites. 14 Wherefore it is said in the Book of the Wars of the Lord,

“Waheb in Suphah and the wadis.
The Arnon 15 and the slopes of the wadis
that extend to the seat of Ar,
and lie along the border of Moab.”[f]
16 From there they continued to Beer;[g] that is the well of which the Lord said to Moses, “Gather the people together, and I will give them water.” 17 Then Israel sang this song:

“Spring up, O well!—Sing to it!—
18 the well that the leaders sank,
that the nobles of the people dug,
with the scepter, with the staff.”

This ancient Arnon still exists to this day as a proverbial Garden of Eden, a vast Grand Canyon, creating natural boundaries in the land.  Arnon , has always been an important boundary-line. For a time it separated the Moabites from the Amorites (Num 21:13-26; Deut 3:8; Judges 11:18).
The ancient importance of the river and Its fords are alluded to by the Book of Isaiah (16:2). Its "heights," crowned with the castles of chiefs, were also celebrated in verse (Num 21:28).

Arnon enters the Dead Sea at 1,350 ft below sea level. It extends to the north and south, 3,000 ft above sea level in some places. This 4,300 ft variation in elevation, combined with the valley's year round water flow from seven tributaries, means that Arnon enjoys a magnificent biodiversity, with over 300 species of plants, 10 species of carnivores and numerous species of permanent and migratory birds, plus many rare species of cats, goats and other mountain animals.

A ancient river that is like unto Eden with waters being feed by 7 streams, water falling from the heights unto the depts, perhaps more can be added to the contemplation of an earthy place having a perhaps Supernal root?

Looking forward to any additional inspirations and further insights!

Star

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Arnon

#2 Postby sheryl » Sat May 16, 2015 8:47 am

Shalom Dear Sister!

I was delighted to find your post this morning! Praise to Mother who gifts us with insights and contemplations!

Just this week, Tau Malachi was teaching on Arnon, if I can recall properly.

He shared that this Hebrew word is comprised of Aleph, Resh, Nun, Yod, Nun final. These letters can be seen to represent the Olamot:

Aleph: Adam Kadmon
Resh: Atzilut
Nun: Beriyah
Yod: Yetzirah
Nun final: Assiyah

Likewise we can consider these letters in conjunction with the aspects of soul: Yechidah, Hayyah, Neshamah, Ruach, Nefesh, respectively.

In looking at the verse from Numbers you have quoted:

“Waheb in Suphah and the wadis.
The Arnon ..."

This can also be translated as What he did in the Red sea, and in the brooks of Arnon, or as Rabbi Shim'on teaches: Waheb is a whirlwind, or love at its end, in the streams of Arnon. Waheb being a place, the top of the rungs, the Shekinah, the streams of Arnon being the 86 pathways on the composite Tree of Life, also the same gematria for Elohim.

This is a huge wow. Praise God!

In the outer church, perhaps like me, you were taught that these were all simply places that the children of Israel wondered through during their 40 years in the desert. But as we see here, there is so much being revealed in Biblical Scripture, about the inner journey of purification of the children in their return to God, the same that we all will walk through.

As you pointed out, this leg of their journey began after the children were healed by the uplifting of the bronze serpent, and ended with them being gathered and given by YHVH, water from the spring, or Living Waters - an outpouring of Grace!

To make this even more wild, if that were possible, Tau Malachi shared that the Hebrew word for man, aleph yod shin, is another way to express the parts of soul, and so speaks the same mystery as to Arnon. Thus we find in Hebrew, man is the parts of soul, complete, not just a personality display!

Spring up, O well!—Sing to it!—

Hallelu-El!

May we rejoice as the children did, being gathered and given to drink from the waters of Elohim!

Any adjustments or corrections to these thoughts will be received gratefully.

Sheryl

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Arnon

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Shalom Sisters!

I'm very glad you've both contributed to this mystery from Zohar (II:56a). Like you, Sheryl, I'm most intrigued by the presence of Nun-Vav-Nun at the end of a word such as Arnon, as it can classically stand for the parts of soul as neshamah, ruach, and nefesh respectively. What the Resh has to do with Hayyah and Alef with Yehidah is quite in line with a stated reason for bringing up the Arnon River in the first place.

The big picture I'm hearing in this passage is commenting on the Red Sea destroying Pharoah and all his army: YHVH is a man of war, YHVH is His name (Exodus 15:3). Things get done through this active power of the Shekinah, who ironically is this man of war. Consequences befall civilizations even as great as Egypt when they are out of balance, lost in illusions, and ignorant of the foundation of their being. Wars between one ignorance and another are without end; the only wars which are productive are those in Torah, which culminate in love and mystical embrace.

Other personifications of the Shekinah concern the Book of Wars of YHVH; book is a recurring metaphor of memory of all that is done. What is done is an even conservative translation of Waheb and further reinforces Shekinah as What is done. This flow of ideas leads back to origins of everything issuing from the Supernal embrace of Hokmah and Binah figured in Arnon: What is Arnon? Supernal coupling of love, never separating, as is said: A river issues from Eden. In these His roots are sunk, and branches spread—launching His wars everywhere, launching forces and powers, manifesting the dominion of His glory over all. Shekinah is the impulse of love and liberation of all by every means necessary: peacefully, wrathfully, and blissfully.

All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
for those who keep his covenant and his decrees
(Psalm 25:10).

I'd hoped twenty-two paths through four olamot might amount to eighty-six, the gematria of the Divine name Elohim. Alas, eighty-eight are the totality of all that are implied when all netivot joining the sefirot are considered branches of the mystical river Arnon. I imagine there is a creative way two paths may be removed from all eighty-eight paths branching from the embrace of the Supernal Mother-Father to equal eighty-six and the name Elohim.

What I continue to enjoy of Arnon and the implications of yechidah and hayyah in Alef and Resh respectively concern the insights these two letters offer us in contemplating the inmost soul, that of us as we are fully in the One. What is resh but the head and face, another Hebrew word for which is panam? This word panam, face, is the same as the word for presence. Hayyah and the source of the presence has something beautiful to do with the Supernal embrace of the Mother-Father. Of the inmost uniqueness and individual essence, this is completely lovely with Alef figuring as Yehidah, a literal meaning for which is only, unique and outstanding as one's only child.

The clear soul-attributes of the letters spelling the name of this river Arnon, transposable with the unnamed, primordial river that issues from Eden (Genesis 2:10) teaches me the soul is a river. Its surface is nefesh. It's upper currents are ruach. It's deeper currents are neshamah. The ubiquitous tributaries and streams filling and shaping the river feel like hayyah. The invisible source of all weather emanating waters from nothingness feels like yehidah.

I am more stream than stone.

Elder Gideon

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”