If your Eye be Single (Matthew 6:22)

sheryl
Site Admin

If your Eye be Single (Matthew 6:22)

#1 Postby sheryl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:31 am

Shalom Friends!

In reading the Gospel of Matthew something new is being seen.

Our Beloved Master Yeshua teaches us in chapter six:

The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is single (haplous) your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is evil (ponēros), your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

Our teachings often speak of the eye being single as the unity of the masculine and feminine within us, or when the outer is made like the inner. The Greek word that is translated as single, haplous, which is only used in this teaching in the Bible, is said to also mean simple, in which nothing is confused. Alternately the Greek word translated as evil, ponēros, is said to mean full of labors, hardships, harassed.

What is new is seeing singularity of eye - the union of the masculine and feminine, or making the outer like the inner - as what brings clarity of mind and heart, or the absence of confusion, and evil as the disunity of the masculine and feminine, of the inner and the outer, bringing confusion in consciousness resulting in much toil and labor, hardship.

Simply put, clarity, certainty of consciousness brings light, and confusion leads to the arising of evil! For me, this simplifies things greatly in seeing in my own consciousness, what happens when things are not so clear and certain, and then when things are. It has also been recently taught that confusion in the collective consciousness likewise allows for the arising of evil in our world.

Any additions or corrections to these thoughts will be received with gratitude.

Sheryl
Last edited by sheryl on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonLw

Re: If your Eye be Single (Matthew 6:22)

#2 Postby BrandonLw » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:04 am

I hadn't noticed before your post in such a forward way that this verse distinctly implies: "we choose how we see." Quickly in culture of "blind leading the blind" we learn from a young age that we are passive viewers in our experience and not co-creators. I appreciate our tradition for often and actively emphasizing how co-creative we are with God, to the degree that through interpretation we might determine what is seen.

The Besht teaches in a particular cycle that God created logic that we might be illogical in our justification of others, how we view (or see) their actions. That we might interpret what we see in an illogical, even seemingly non-sensical way though positive and sweet on judgement. How fun and playful that may be, and freeing from usual roads we've walked passively accepting another's view. An exploration of that teaching within our tradition may be explored further regarding a thread on "Sweetening Judgement"* which begins with Matthew 7:5, "First take the log out of your own eye..." (Eye is singular here.)

Hardship as you've drawn out from the word study opens the heart. How much unnecessary hardship do we burden ourselves and others with because we choose to see in judgement and a cursing way? Or in a duplicitous way, entertaining accusing voices and speech? Can I even fathom what the world might become if I make an effort toward a singular eye, loving and true? It could be nice, and as a initiate in early stages of Second Coming, it doesn't seem so foreign, truly. As the passage you've selected implies, we may choose how we see; though that process might be a road to walk, narrow and long.

God be with us.

* viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3048&p=13246&hilit=Justify#p13246
Brandon
Sacramento, CA

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”