My Covenant and The Wedding Feast

sheryl
Site Admin

My Covenant and The Wedding Feast

#1 Postby sheryl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Shalom Dear Friends,

I came across something today that brought forth a contemplation and a question.

In Exodus 19, when Yahweh calls to Moses on Mt. Sinai, Yahweh speaks a promise:

Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob and tell the sons of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings, and brought you to Myself. Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’

My covenant is mentioned here, and in a previous teaching the question arose, what covenant is the Holy One referring to? For the Law had not yet been given? In considering this, and looking up the Hebrew word that is translated as covenant, another question arose.

The Hebrew word bĕriyth, בְּרִית, is translated as covenant, and in reading the entry in the Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon, something interesting is said: "bĕriyth, בְּרִית, is nothing more than an eating together, a banquet, from barah, בָּרָה". So that covenant, bĕriyth, is eating together barah, with a yod added. This adds many delightful thoughts! Yod is the hand of God, the spark of God, and so can we say that a covenant is something akin to partaking, eating, with sacred intention, invoking something of God? The Wedding Feast also arises in thought, as a covenant of remembrance - perhaps even a continuum of "My Covenant", between the Holy One and the partakers?

If these thoughts are proper, I would delight in hearing more.

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Marion

Re: My Covenant and The Wedding Feast

#2 Postby Marion » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:40 am

Shabbat Shalom!

Thank you for this post Sister Sheryl! I’m now hearing many more layers to covenant.

It is interesting that the name Rahab – רהב, has the same letters as barah – בָּרָה, Banquet and the verb To Create. She is the woman in the book of Joshua who helps Israeli spies break into her city of Jericho. She was a prostitute, and after Israel took over the city, she became a Jew and married one of the spies she had helped, Salmon. Rahab, who tradition says is a previous incarnation of the soul of Magdalene, shows that the soul of light is present in each one of us, in our brightest times, and our darkest times. Though Rahab lived in sin for much of her life, the second she recognized the servants of God, she was redeemed. I’m curious if the red cord that she used as a sign, speaks to a binding of her soul to the soul of the world, so that in her redemption, the world is released from sin and suffering?

This is intriguing, because just like the Magdalene, Rahab’s story is all of our stories. Our soul dwells in unity with God, and so God plants bodies for us on earth. On earth, we sin, we let in all who would seek to enter, divine, admixed and demonic. Through seeking, we meet the Beloved and in uniting, we are redeemed. Through this redemption, All is redeemed, so that all of the previous fallings become as a ladder for us reaching into heaven! I’m hearing this in the letters that spell Covenant, beriyth – בְּרִית. It starts with Bet, which is two, first there must be a separation so that there can be a longing. Then is Resh – face, when we first are contacting light transmission, there may be all kinds of reactions; falling into bliss or fear, part of us desires it, part of us fears it. When we keep seeking through this, there is a unity – Yod, point of light, hand of God. Then Tau, redemption of All, union of matter and spirit, symbolized by the cross. In this I’m also hearing the second verse from the Gospel of St. Thomas: “Jesus said, ‘Let them who seek continue seeking until they find. When they find, they will become troubled. When they become troubled, they will be astonished, and they will rule over the All.”

I’m hearing covenant with God as the marriage between the soul and the body. In the verse from Exodus that was quoted: “if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples,” It says that this is a mutual decision, first we must keep the covenant. What’s beautiful is that the natural result of marriage in ancient times was children. If we put this into the context of the soul and the body, then the natural result of the soul coming into the body is light transmission and the purpose of light transmission is the enlightenment and liberation of souls. I’m wondering if we can say that this is a child conceived without sin, that is, a virgin birth.

This brings to mind the story in Exodus where Moses is up on the mountain communing with God, and the Children of Israel enact the sin of the golden calf i.e, idol worship. If there is an original sin, it is that we make others our idols, and put things in place of God. Therefore, children born of such a union are born in sin. If we recognize God in everyone and everything and seek God in all of the things in our life, the children born of this union are born in Grace, Abundant Mercy. This story seems to be asking the question: who are you making a covenant with? Similar to the question posed to Templars: Whom does the Grail serve?

Shabbat Shalom,
Marion

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: My Covenant and The Wedding Feast

#3 Postby sheryl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Shalom Marion!

I like much what you have shared about idols. It dances nicely with a recent teaching heard equating covenant with relationship.

All of Torah is now being seen as teachings on right relationship. An idol then is something of creation with which we have a wrong relationship, what can be called an adulterous relationship.

If we re-look at the verse quoted above from Exodus, looking at what is being said in terms of relationship with God, changing a few other words to "fit better" with the original Hebrew, something new is seen and felt:

‘You yourselves have seen what I did for you, what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings, and brought you into Myself. Now then, if you will indeed hear Me, and listen to My voice, and stay in relationship with Me, then you shall be My treasure among all the peoples...

It comes to mind that what Moses experienced on the Mountain isn't at all what is indicated by the English we have grown accustomed to! What Moses experienced is more akin to what King Solomon expresses in the Song of Songs!

May we all be in right relationship, with the Creator and with all that is created!

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”