Get Behind Me Satan

Yonah

Get Behind Me Satan

#1 Postby Yonah » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Greetings!

Recently I've been contemplating Yeshua's words in the New Testament where he says "Get Behind Me Satan" (Matthew 16:23). I have always found this a curious statement because he is telling Satan to get behind him and not to go away or be destroyed. It seems that there is something deeper in this statement than just the words recorded in this passage.
My understanding of Satan is as the adversary - the one who tempts and condemns. A conscious force of separation and evil.

My understanding of this topic has been expanded based on a post in the Christian Kabbalah forum called "The Roots of Creation in the Supernals and Ain": viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3434

What I hear in Yeshua's words to get behind him is that he is telling this force of separation called adversary that it no longer has any place in his consciousness? Because Yeshua knows that his Ain is truly rooted in Ani and that he is one with God Most High this power has no pull or influence on him? It seems that the illusion of separation and Satan are necessary forces for the creation of Ani (I) in each individual, but once the truth of who we are is remembered and embodied in conscious unity then it has no place but in our past? I see Yeshua looking up the Tree and embodying this “root of Ain” from the supernals and thus Satan and separation are behind him and not even relevant? It seems that he is telling his disciples to see this truth also and giving them a teaching on the nature of reality.

I look forward to where this topic can go and where I may be missing the message that Yeshua is speaking.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Cathy_Z

Re: Get Behind Me Satan

#2 Postby Cathy_Z » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Shalom!

This statement of Yeshua's Words, "Get Behind Me Satan", has stirred me as well. It reminds me of turning to face the Holy One. And as we turn towards the Holy One, ( that "something" within and beyond), The Holy One turns toward us, and we are strengthened, We begin to realize our true identity as a Child of the Infinite Light and Goodness; and that this "something" to which we turn is really "no thing" - Ain, and is not only within, but everywhere without. The Holy One is everywhere, and within everything: all that "is" is the Holy One. And yet, "Here I Am" this Ani, in the midst of all of this, all sacred as it is. With this awareness, we are no longer facing Satan, we are oriented toward God, and Satan is behind us; we are no longer so identified with our outer form and our connection with Doubt, fear, judgement, separation and lack, we are identified with The Being of our Becoming. This seems to be a movement. There is a turning, and with this turning there is a reorientation, a remembrance and deeper understanding. Then, there is an integration of what has been revealed. Then, somehow, in the process of integrating this revelation, we begin to feel separate, lacking and alone again. But, it seems all of this, this world in all its seeming imperfection, separation and suffering is necessary for our coming into being. And we re-turn again to our God, YHVH Elohenu.

I hope that these thoughts are in alignment of your contemplation. And would very much appreciate any correction.

Shalom,
Cathy

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#3 Postby Elder Sarah » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 am

Shalom!

Thank you Bishop Yonah for drawing upon this contemplation, this is indeed a very curious statement, "Get Behind me Satan". I very much enjoy your tie to the conversation on Ain and Ani. In looking into this I was drawn to the segment of scripture quoted to feel the whole context. It is very interesting this comment is surrounding Yeshua prophesying the crucifixion and resurrection. The entire mystery of crucifixion and resurrection feels as a mystery surrounding the exchange between Ain and Ani, where Ani (I as the individual) ,as Yeshua is offered fully and completely joining with Ain, nothingness. He says something to Peter that catches my eye, he says, "You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things." Hence, in a way he is saying to Peter, you are focused completely on Ani and not the union with Ain. As you mention Yonah, " It seems that the illusion of separation and Satan are necessary forces for the creation of Ani (I) in each individual". This is necessary, though, at a certain point there must be a shift in orientation, it seems Yeshua is addressing this with Peter.

If I recall correctly in teachings it is not as though Ani ever goes away, what matters is if an arising is from Ain into Ani, rather than an unconscious arising that fails the awareness of Ain. It reminds of the teaching Tau Malachi often uses of the salt doll, where he shares it is not as though the salt doll walks back into the ocean, rather it is as though the ocean pours through drop (or the salt doll). In the mystery of crucifixion and resurrection there is a mystery of somehow Yeshua taking the "sins" of the world upon himself and dissolving them, which is a mystery of taking the unconscious arising of Ani (Ani of the world so to say) and drawing this into an arising from Ain. In this way a certain dawn of remembrance is born which goes out the people and land. As you mentioned Yonah, Peters statement is as a force of separation, or a force of the unconscious, forgetfulness. It feels as though he is directing his comment straight at that force, which both comes from outside of him through the agency of Peter and is a force he is most likely facing internally initiation entire movement about to transpire. This force appears to be a force that would have the world over focus on who and what beings think they are, a self attachment, rather that an holistic view that provides a connection with all beings.

Well said Sister Cathy,

"The Holy One is everywhere, and within everything: all that "is" is the Holy One. And yet, "Here I Am" this Ani, in the midst of all of this, all sacred as it is. With this awareness, we are no longer facing Satan, we are oriented toward God, and Satan is behind us; we are no longer so identified with our outer form and our connection with Doubt, fear, judgement, separation and lack, we are identified with The Being of our Becoming."

If one is identified with Ain, the source of all, then what arises from this in Ani is mysteriously rooted in all that is. As you mentioned Yonah, " a teaching on the nature of reality", indeed!

Holy One we pray for empowerment in you creation to remember, to arise in conscious unity in your source, Ain!

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:05 am

Grace and peace to you in Hayyah Yeshua!

What everyone has shared is lovely, very good insights. I’d like to add some thoughts to this contemplation.

This is a most curious rebuke (musar), and here we may recall that when a Tzaddik rebukes a disciple or assembly, first they deliver that rebuke to themselves and then to the disciple or assembly. This is present within the rebuke the Master delivered to Peter, for the full rebuke reads, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things” (16:23). “You are a stumbling block to me,” indeed, for as we know from Yeshua’s prayer in Gethsemane what Adonai Yeshua had just prophesied was a very hard thing for him, and as a human being like us, if there were any other way to accomplish the Work of Salvation he would have preferred it. Who wouldn’t? Thus, Adonai Yeshua rebuked a temptation within himself, a stumbling within himself, while rebuking a mistake and stumbling of his disciple.

Now, if we look into this, Yeshua Messiah had just uttered a prophecy in the Holy Spirit, revealing the Work of Salvation and immediately Peter countered it, invoking the Name of God as he did so. Thus, unwittingly Peter was acting as a voice and vehicle of the Adversary in the world, and directly contradicting the will and invocation of his Tzaddik and the will of the Most High. Therefore, truly, he acted as Satan, the Adversary, God forbid!

What Adonai Yeshua said to Peter is an important teaching to us all - a correction for us all, for if and when we grasp at name and form, and personal history, or we abide in self-cherishing desire and fear, and we set our minds on human things, earthly things below, and not upon divine things, heavenly things above, we open the way for the forces of the klippot, the Other Side to enter, and the spirit of the Other Side (Satan, Samael) takes us up, not the Spirit of God, the True Light. Consider it! Yeshua uttered a prophecy, proclaiming the intention of the Almighty (Shaddai), the will of the Lord God (Yahweh Elohim), but Peter spoke according to his own will and desire, and self-interest, opposing it, seeking to negate the word of the Lord (Adonai); in that moment he was bound up in self-cherishing and self-will, and his own self-interests, and because of this the spirit of the Other Side took him up, and moved with, in and through him. Adonai Yeshua rebuked him, and rebuked the spirit of the Other Side that was with him in that moment. Rightly so! Praise God!

It is true, Satan and his angels are distinct spiritual forces, entities, and yet apart from human beings, and their thoughts, words and actions, these spiritual forces cannot enter into this world, and cannot have influence and power in this world; human beings, as the image and likeness of Elohim, are the agents, channels, vehicles, of spiritual forces in the world, whether divine, archonic or demonic, and through humanity the balance of the matrix of forces and the fate of the world is determined.

As we know, another disciple took up the full role of Satan, the Adversary, and yet we can see that the spirit of the Other Side seeks to enter through any inroad, any point of weakness, or mindlessness, that creates an opening to it. As it turned out, it was Peter who denied Yeshua Messiah three times on the night of the Passion, and save for Yohanan the Beloved and close women disciples, all of the disciples fled from the Master in his darkest hours.

There is something more. Adonai Yeshua tells Peter, calling him the Adversary, to “get behind me”; hence, to return to being a true and faithful disciple, following the Holy Tzaddik where the Tzaddik leads, not trying to lead his Tzaddik where he wishes. On another level, though, understanding this rebuke as a theurgic action, Adonai Yeshua engaged in an action for subjugation of Satan, the Adversary, calling him to follow in the Way, and in this there is an allusion to a universal salvation, suggesting that in the End-Of-Days even Satan, the Adversary, is destined to be redeemed. Also this is interesting, for “follow me” is to say, “come along and do what you must do” - play your role! That, indeed, Satan did, but that very action led to the overcoming of Satan - sin and death, and ultimately the redemption of Satan, or Samael.

Now as we know there are two inclinations in us, the evil inclination and the good inclination, and the evil inclination corresponds with the influence of the spirit of the Other Side in us. There is, in truth, no getting rid of the evil inclination as long as we are in the flesh, but rather the evil inclination, the desire to receive, must be brought into the service of the good inclination, the desire to give. “Get behind me, Satan” may be understood as the submission of the evil inclination to the good inclination, the unification of the desire to receive with the desire to give.

Whenever I hear this rebuke, “Get behind me, Satan,” I hear another teaching, “Always set Yahweh before you.” To say, “Get behind me, Satan” is naturally to put Yahweh before you. In this light Satan corresponds with a view of life and the future fashioned in negativity, and with fear and doubt, and Yahweh corresponds with a view of life and the future fashioned in affirmation, with faith, hope and love, trusting that, indeed, God will provide and God will redeem. If you consider it, this is integral to the prophecy Yeshua Messiah had spoken, which Peter countered, for to go to the cross as Adonai Yeshua did he had to cleave to Yahweh and the hope of the resurrection, redemption, walking in faith and hope, loving the Holy One and the people, trusting in the power Almighty.

These were some thoughts I was inclined to add, and within and behind there is the play of Ani and Ain; certainly so!

O Holy One, on this Blessed Day of Shabbat may many find sanctuary and rest in You, and may many be delivered from the spirit of the Other Side! Amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:36 am

Shabbat Shalom, dear friends!

I am caught by this discussion as well. Thank you, all, for sharing your insights. They are giving rise to new thoughts regarding this story.

Sister Cathy, you mention return, and it is curious that in two of the three places in scripture that mention this exchange, it is said that Yeshua first 'turns' or returns. It is often been taught that when scripture speaks of a turn or return, it is speaking of a turning towards God. So it sounds very much as if Yeshua was succumbing to doubts himself, and in turning, he repented, and turned to face God, turned to align himself with the Will of GOd.

Then Yeshua says "Satan get behind me' which brings to mind another word that you spoke, Sister Cathy, integration. By saying Satan get behind me, as Bishop Yonah offers as well, Yeshua feels to be relegating what is Satan to its proper place, submission. I recall teachings which say Satan can be equated with the Nefesh Behamit, who is not in alignment with the Ruach and seeks for self alone, thus seeks the things of this world. Get behind me Satan feels very much to be an aligning of the Nefesh with the Ruach, the arising of the Nefesh Elokit, the soul that seeks the things of God.

In this short teaching, we are are presented with the image of the Perfect Tzaddik, who as the author of Hebrews tells us:

Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

We are blessed to have such examples, teachings as well as living examples, of Holy Ones incarnate among us, who go through the same trials and tribulations that we do, and so are equipped to offer aid when we are tempted.

I greatly appreciated that Ain-Ani is mentioned above, for when we turn to God, it is this remembrance that fills us. Curious, right before the above teaching from Hebrews, we read this:

Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

The self, Ani, of course, fears death, fears non-existence, or No-Thingness, Ain - it fears its true nature! Hence the attachment to name and form, and personal history. Praise God that Holy Ones of full remembrance live among us, to release us from this fear, by bringing remembrance of who we are beyond 'death', who we are beyond this name and form!

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”