What is an Enlightened View of Works in Salvation?

Bevan

What is an Enlightened View of Works in Salvation?

#1 Postby Bevan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Shalom Everyone!

It was late, but I was wide awake and she was curious about what I had heard that evening, so I shared from the Gospel of Thomas, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you have will save you.” (1) I asked, “Where were we told salvation came from?” She reached back into our outer church experience and quoted Ephesians, “For by grace, you have been saved by faith, and this not your own doing; it is the gift of God not the result of works so that no one may boast.” (2) The passage brought back ideas of a passive salvation but I connected the grace-faith of Ephesians to the salvation-within of Thomas. But it made me think further about our role in manifesting the salvation within in us. James says, “What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you?” (3) What are “works” referred to in these passages? How do they fit into an enlightened view of salvation?

What first caught my attention in the Ephesians verse was the word “grace” which relates to Hesed, “the unrestricted flow of divine blessing without end” (4). I understand that on the Tree of Life, Hesed receives shefa, influx of spiritual energy, from Hokmah, Binah and Da’at, which is the Superal Habad (Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge). So when we talk about grace, we are receiving from the Supernal Realm and not human works. Even Lord Yeshua who opened up this non-dual way submitted to the Divine Will and became a channel for this Divine Grace.

I then recalled a passage in the Acts of the Apostles about Simon the Sorcerer, and this appeared to be the “works” referred to in Ephesians. Simon tried to buy the ability to give the Holy Spirit to people, and Peter rebuked him saying, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money!” (5) These “works” are of nefesh behamit and relate to conjuring or purchasing something inner with something outer. Surface consciousness grabbing at a gift it has not been given and cannot receive in separation.

Then there is the word ‘boast’ in the Ephesians passage. Paul also writes about boasting in 2 Corinthians when he says, “I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.” (6) To be weak is to be vulnerable and open to a power that is stronger than me. We are encouraged to surrender to Messiah, the completely benevolent authority. For when we humble our Nefesh (vital soul) and join with our Ruach (intelligence soul), we can find true spiritual self-worth in Neshamah (divine nature). Here, the "doing" of works is about "being", which I think is what James is referring to.

I also wondered how “faith” is associated to the True of Life. Is there a sefirot associated with it? What about Gevurah, which is “the self-restraint of creations”? (6) Faith takes time, self-discipline, and devotion. Could the Grace of Hesed and the Faith of Gevurah meet in the Salvation of Tiferet, the Triad of Action? The flow of Grace from the Supernals channeled into the restriction of Faith and realized in the Salvation of Yeshua Messiah.

I am thankful how the scripture verses with which I am over familiar are being restored through the Christian Kabbalah and the writings on this forum.

I would appreciate any corrections or additions to these thoughts.

May we come to know more deeply our Bornless Being that works through Divine Grace!

Shalom,
Bevan.

---

(1) – Gospel of St. Thomas Saying 70
(2) - Ephesians 2:8,9
(3) – James 2:14
(4) – p. 149, Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ
(5) – Acts 8
(6) - 2 Cor. 12:9
(7) – p. 169, Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: What is an Enlightened View of Works in Salvation?

#2 Postby sheryl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:43 am

Shabbat Shalom, Brother Bevan!

You have asked wonderful questions, praise Mother Spirit and the Seeker within!

I too come from the outer church and likewise sought reconciliation of such terms as works and salvation.

As you are pointing to, these words in our lineage have a different meaning than what we were taught in Sunday School, and so part of our proper education is an eradication of the limited definitions that we had, giving way to a much more expanded understanding.

Now salvation no longer means eternity behind a golden-gated community, but awareness and embodiment of that which is eternal within us, hence salvation is not something that is given to us because of our works, or because of our faith (the outer church's understanding is 'earning of salvation with faith'), but something we find within us.

And indeed this finding of eternal life within us is not done by our own labor, but through Grace - through our co-labor with Grace!

Do you remember this from Hebrews?

So also Christ did not glorify Himself so as to become a high priest, but He who said to Him,

“You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You”;

just as He says also in another passage,

“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”

Priest forever. Does that not bring to mind laboring for the salvation of creation, forever?

And so that which is eternal within us, our Neshamah, when it is brought forth, as the verse from Thomas speaks, it moves into and through the triad of action on the Tree of Life, it moves into Asiyah, the universe of making, as action, as works--but not works as man thinks of works, but divine works or the embodiment and manifestation in this world of the divine attributes, which is all of the Sefirot, or the Tree of Life in entirety. Thus all Sefirot become works in Malkut, as she is filled and they ray out into all of creation.

Therefore salvation is, becomes, manifests as, the great work of the salvation of all!

If I might point you to another verse, from Paul's second letter to the Corinthians:

Examine yourselves, to see whether you have faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Yeshua Messiah is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! It is faith in Yeshua Messiah within that leads to salvation! Halleluyah!

This points right back to the verse from Thomas: If you bring forth what is within you [the Eternal Self], what you have will save you.

May all receive the anointing, and find eternal life!

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Grace and peace to you in Hayyah Yeshua, the Living Messiah!

Where does salvation, or enlightenment and liberation, come from? It is revealed in the Blessed Name of Yeshua, or Yoshua, which literally means “Yahweh delivers,” or “Yahweh saves.” I would not be inclined to say that salvation comes from grace, but rather that salvation is the manifestation of grace, and comes through grace, or the abundant mercy of Yahweh - the Eternal One; through the issuance of Supernal Grace, Supernal Mercy, corresponding with Keter-Crown, we are “saved” - enlightened and liberated, and our enlightenment and liberation is the divine action of the Spirit of God (Ruach Elohim).

Adonai Yeshua teaches that we must be reborn from above, from heaven, which is to say that we must receive the Holy Light and Spirit from above, and receiving the Holy Light and Spirit we must integrate the Holy Light and Spirit into our mind, heart and body - our person and life, embodying it, living according to the Truth and Light that is revealed to us; this reintegration of all aspects of our consciousness, our being, with the Holy Light and Spirit of the Eternal One, living according to the Truth and Light revealed to us, is the work of salvation - the realization of our soul in the Messiah.

Look and see! In the Messiah we have a Sanctuary of Grace, and through the Messiah we receive the Holy Light and Spirit of the Infinite One, but we must abide in the Sanctuary of Grace, we must engage an active and dynamic surrender to the indwelling Messiah and Holy Spirit, co-creating the conditions for the full action of the Holy Spirit with, in and through us; in this respect we must workout our salvation, our enlightenment and liberation, co-laboring with the Spirit of God.

If I have faith, and yet more so, if I have knowledge, understanding and wisdom, I will have good works - I will live according to the Truth and Light revealed, and I will do what is good and true, and I will engage in a full self-offering, seeking to be of service to others in love and compassion, seeking to serve the kingdom of heaven and the Lord (Yahweh, Yeshua); certainly so!

If I have faith, and if I have knowledge, understanding and wisdom, I will have good works - active compassion, and through good works I will actualize and realize the Divine Attributes (Sefirot) in me, and will draw out something of the Light-presence and Light-power that is in me, letting it shine and bring glory to the Lord.

Faith (emunah) is a cognomen of Malkut-Kingdom, the exterior Shekinah, and Binah-Understanding, the interior Shekinah, is called the “Parent of Faith.” According to masters of the tradition Malkut is the Sefirah to which all souls can cleave through faith and prayer, and if a soul cleaves to Malkut - Adonai, the exterior Shekinah, and their faith is mature and strong, they may receive an influx of the Holy Light and Spirit through the upper Sefirot, and through the Holy Spirit they may be drawn in ascent, and may become able to cleave to the Sefirot within and behind, and beyond Malkut, reaching to Yesod, Tiferet and Da’at. As perhaps you might imagine, with each of these Sefirot, at each of these grades, there is a greater and greater influx of the Holy Light and Spirit of the Infinite - a greater enlightenment and greater freedom in the Spirit.

You may recall that in the Letter to the Hebrews we are told to “always seek a better resurrection”; hence, a greater realization of enlightenment in the Messiah - a greater embodiment of the Messiah and Holy Spirit. This is the work of salvation!

These were a few thoughts I was inclined to share.

May Supernal Grace, Supernal Mercy, pour out upon one and all alike this day, and may many be gathered into the Sanctuary of Grace, and return to God, the True Light! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Bevan

#4 Postby Bevan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Shalom and thank you for your insights!

Sister Sheryl, you say "hence salvation is not something that is given to us because of our works, or because of our faith (the outer church's understanding is 'earning of salvation with faith'), but something we find within us."

I am receiving a deeper understanding of "within". Traditionally faith is outside us and we receive it from an external authority. However, I hear you saying that faith is within me, even if only partially realized, and cannot be found anywhere else. I can see that terms like "begotten" and "forever", from the Hebrews passages you mention, speak not of something that is separate from the Source, but emanated and deeply embedded in the Holy One, like a child has the DNA of parents. In "forever", I think of the Ain Sof within Keter, and in "begotten", I think of our incarnations embedded in Malkut, heaven and earth within us.

Tau Malachi you write, "this reintegration of all aspects of our consciousness, our being, with the Holy Light and Spirit of the Eternal One, living according to the Truth and Light revealed to us, is the work of salvation - the realization of our soul in the Messiah."

I can now see clearer that works naturally emerge from embodying the gradation which we have realized within us. This is not as a result of passing a test and receiving a grade from a teacher, but becoming honest about our lives to reveal that which we have been hiding. Then we can open our heart to the Truth and Light we have received and give something eternal: works. If we are ignorant of that which is "within", how can we manifest it? As you have said before, faith is only the beginning, and as we push in deeper we create "the conditions for the full action of the Holy Spirit with, in and through us".

Thank you for identifying "faith" with Malkut-Kingdom and Binah-Understanding. How wonderful that we can enter the Tree and ascend higher and higher and become more grounded, within.

May all be brought closer and closer together in the Light of the Holy One,
Bevan.

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”