The husbands of the Samaritan Woman.

Josephine

The husbands of the Samaritan Woman.

#1 Postby Josephine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:08 pm

During last night's (too) short chat about the Samaritan woman, I was introduced to a Sophian (or at least Gnostic) tradition of the Samaritan woman as believer of significant spiritual insight. This is almost diametrically opposite of what's taught in the outer church. I'm not here to dispute the gnostic tradition, but I am really taken aback by this switch and wish to know more.

I found the John the Baptist story about the Samaritan's woman's vision of Yeshua in this section ("Mysteries of the Bible..."). I'm curious: where did this story come from? The imagery, her description, helped me a ton. I could see the projection of the Human One expanded through creation like one of those science toys -- the ones that form a ball of connecting arms, and the arms expand 4-10x out in equidistant directions when one pulls on the edge of any arms. (Perhaps this image would help. The spheres are called Hoberman balls.) Regardless of its origin we have the implication that an unorthodox spiritual community is receiving profound revelations.

Assuming this Samaritan woman is the same in the story of Yeshua at Jacob's well, what do we know of her husbands? Or rather, even if this is not the same woman, please -- what are we to make of her husbands? This is so important to the story for, as we know, his accurate reading of her current marital status "and the man you are with is not your husband" (forgive me if that's not exact; I am typing without a primary reference in front of me) convinces her Yeshua is a prophet at the very least.

In the outer church it's frequently taught that the Samaritan woman is a compromised woman, implying she is a carnal woman who must get her water at a time of day when the "better sort" have already moved through in the morning and she can go to the town well without suffering the censure of her community. (Apparently she lives in Peyton Place.) Because why would a woman go to a well, unaccompanied, in the heat of the day? Etc. etc. Even if she was honestly widowed, the loss of so many husbands and the non-binding husband of her current life would likely follow her uneasily, like a whispered rumor: what happened to all those husbands?

So. What did happen to all those husbands? Who are the husbands? Why didn't she run to her husband when she got the revelation? And why did she run to the townspeople instead?

If they are not literal husbands, what's encoded here?

I pray the Holy Spirit would let us know more and grant you the time to respond in full.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: The husbands of the Samaritan Woman.

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Greetings and blessings to you in Messiah Yeshua!

You ask a good question.

In ancient times it was very common for itinerant spiritual teachers, preachers and prophets to share their teachings with people at wells, city gates, and so on; for that matter, religion or spirituality aside, that was how people received news of things in their days, from travelers stopping in such places. In terms of a spiritual aspirant it would not be unusual for them to frequent such places, hoping to encounter a holy one passing by who might share some teachings or revelation with them. In the case of a spiritual woman seeing teachings and guidance a place near where she lived, such as a well outside of the village, would be appropriate, for unlike men it was not considered good for women to travel unaccompanied for any significant distance or to go on spiritual pilgrimages by themselves. Understanding this, and given the very deep spiritual discourse Adonai Yeshua had with this woman, the word ‘husbands’ could apply to spiritual teachers, none of whom were her true tzaddik, or spiritual guide given to her by God. It would seem from the story that her God-given tzaddik was Adonai Yeshua, the Messiah.

Here let us point out that after being received by Yeshua and receiving him, in effect she becomes the first apostle in that gospel, going into her town, proclaiming the Gospel, and bringing the people out to see him. Consider this. If she was consider an outcast and so lowly by her people, why did they listen to her and go out to meet Yeshua? That really would not make much sense, would it? On the other hand, if she was known as a faithful and spiritual woman among her people, and it was known she sought out teachings from many different holy ones, then it would make sense why they might believe her and go out to see Adonai Yeshua themselves. We might also note that he is well received by her people and they are well received by him, and so it would seem that, truly, this spiritual woman was a substantial person, a lofty soul, and no doubt the meeting of Yeshua Messiah and this women was predestined, the Gospel bring brought to the Samaritans through her.

We do need to remember the tendency of the patriarchal orthodoxy that took over the church to demean and degrade women in Yeshua’s circle and life, and to deny their equal place and role among the original followers of the Way. So it’s not surprising many “mainstream” Christians might hold a very different view and interpretation of this story than those of us in the Gnostic Path.

As for the stories of Yohanan the Baptist they come from the oral tradition I received from Tau Elijah, and through revelations of the Holy Spirit and experiences of visitations from the spirit of Yohanan. Yohanan is my ‘heart tzaddik,’ and I experience a very deep soul connection and resonance with him. You will find that such stories serve to impart Gnostic views and Gnostic teachings of the Gospel, and hint at secret mysteries of the Messiah - deep things of our Holy Kabbalah.

We have edited those stories and eventually will publish them in a book.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Josephine

#3 Postby Josephine » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Wonderful! Thank you and bless you!

You have given me much to think about, not the least of which is the inversion of this woman’s story and character.

I always wonder about how and why we have the stories we do have. In this instance, the disciples protested when they saw Yeshua speaking with a Samaritan woman, yet we have this encounter at the well recorded despite any disciples’ presence during the initial encounter. Clearly the earlier exchange was valued by someone! Valued enough to inquire about the exchange and record it. This would give a second layer of credibility to the Samaritan woman: after hearing her story and the town’s response to her John believed her a “fit” witness to Yeshua’s teaching.

Praise God for this.

Thank you, again. My eyes are opened. Bless you and shalom!

Josephine

#4 Postby Josephine » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:34 am

I intend to look up the word “husband” and see how that became the translation. Why? Well, it occurred to me that this a play on the word, in the sense of “rearing” something for a longer period. “Care and feeding of...”. Husbandry.

In this case, the care and feeding of her spiritual hunger has required several teachers.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Shalom,

I should add that we do not tend to have a single interpretation of such passages, but rather we tend to have multiple interpretations, and some times even opposite interpretations, drawing out various layers of teaching, revelation and esoteric wisdom. As an example, if we were to interpret the Samaritan woman as a more worldly sort, then we might speak of how men and women often get caught up seeking love in all the wrong places, or seeking their happiness in things outside of themselves, when all the while the source of the love they seek, the happiness they seek, is within them; with this we would also venture into teachings of the radical grace, mercy, forgiveness that is in Christ, and the possibility of a radical change in our consciousness at any moment, anywhere, we open our heart and mind to Christ and God, regardless of how far we may have fallen into sin, error. Basically we are simply seeking to draw out all the wisdom we can from the Holy Scriptures, while seeking to abide in an experience of direct revelation from which the Scriptures were written. Therefore we read them and interpret them from various angles, various points of view.

Blessings!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Josephine

#6 Postby Josephine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Thank you. This is both the gift and the challenge of Scripture, that we may be able to look at it from many perspectives. Or rather, from outer, inner, and secret understanding.

Blessings to you, too.

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”