Father of Lights (James 1:17)

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Father of Lights (James 1:17)

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am

Father of Lights

“Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, comes from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1:17).

This is a most beautiful verse from the writing of St. James, one radiant with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Through the same Living Spirit, with God’s blessing, may we look into the deeper meaning of these words.

First it must be said that this verse expresses a clear understanding of the Straight Path and the knowledge of our innate oneness with the Messiah in God Most High (El Elyon), for if, indeed, all charity, all good works, all spiritual gifts and their corresponding actions, come from the ‘Father of Lights,’ then in doing them the body of the believer is as the body of God, their heart and mind as the heart and mind of God, their soul as the soul of God, and God is their seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting, smelling and touching, and their speaking, all that they do, all that they accomplish, being done by the Messiah and Holy Spirit, and therefore being rightly called ‘good’ - perfect and complete. Such is the wisdom of the Straight Path, the Gnostic Path, the wisdom of our innate oneness with the Messiah in God.

Listen and hear, and understand! The Father of lights, ‘lights’ plural, these lights, as we know are the Holy Sefirot, the Divine Attributes and Actions, and they are the Names of God; that being so the ‘Father’ then is the Infinite One (Ain Sof), or God Most High (El Elyon), from whom the entire array of Divine Attributes emanate, and through whom all Divine Actions transpires, all movements of the Spirit of God (Ruach Elohim), manifestation of the power of the Names of God. Why did Apostle James cite this name for the Father? It reveals how souls are able to cleave to the Infinite and Eternal One who is ever beyond, transcendence of creation, and how they are unified with the Supreme and the Supreme with them. It is through the Names of God, the Divine Attributes and Divine Actions, and more so it is through the Messiah and Holy Spirit, understanding that on a spiritual and metaphysical level the Mystical Body of the Messiah is the Names of God, the Divine Attributes and Actions.

Now according to this passage the Father is the Holy One in whom there is not variation or shadow due to change, and we may recall the verse from Psalms 110 concerning Melchizedek, or Messiah, “The Lord has sworn and shall not change his mind…” God Most High, the Infinite One, the Eternal One, does not change in the process of emanation, creation, formation and action, but remains ever the same, the Supreme, the Absolute Light; but if there is apparent change in the play of Mercy and Judgment in creation, it is in the Sefirot, and ultimately it is in creatures or creation itself, whether acting in accord with the Divine Attributes and the will of the Most High (Elyon) or in some distortion or opposition.

As we know in his insightful letter of instruction James is teaching about faith and works, writing that if, indeed, a person has faith, they will have works, for works naturally flow from sincere faith. Understand, if you have faith you will pray and inwardly you will cleave to the Messiah, and so you will cleave to God Most High, and cleaving, through works, through your thoughts, words and actions, you unify yourself with the Messiah and Holy Spirit, or with the Divine Attributes, and so, truly, all the good accomplished will come from God and be in God. Understand, in the midst of a good work or righteous action itself there is unification, oneness with God. The ultimate ‘reward,’ which is nearness to God and oneness with God, is in the actions themselves, actions of the mind, heart and body, if indeed they done in faith and love, cleaving to the Messiah, and so to God Most High.

As James goes on in his open letter to write about righteous thought, speech and action - ‘works,’ with this verse James provides the key to the deeper metaphysical reality within and behind his instruction, and he points to secret mysteries of our innate oneness with the Messiah in God if and when we enact the truth of Messiah, living according to the Truth and Light (Gospel) that has been revealed to us.

There is, no doubt, more that might be gleaned from this verse but here I’m inclined to pause, waiting upon the Spirit of the Lord.

May the Father of lights bless us with full illumination in the Messiah, the full realization of the Anointing we have received! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

The Origin of Giving

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 am

Shalom Tau Malachi:

Understand, in the midst of a good work or righteous action itself there is unification, oneness with God. The ultimate ‘reward,’ which is nearness to God and oneness with God, is in the actions themselves, actions of the mind, heart and body, if indeed they done in faith and love, cleaving to the Messiah, and so to God Most High.

James is indeed a spectacular epistle, all the more for insights you mine. I’ve passed over this verse you cite many, many times, but never heard something you drew out. Praise God!

Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, comes from above, coming down from the Father of lights (James 1:17).

I am most grateful for the teachings of the Straight Path, how they continually challenge any delusion that in any way I’m separate or apart from the One. Hearing from James how every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, comes from above shifted something in me, something I needed to hear: Anything “I” give another comes from the Father.

The do-er who is obsessed with being in the center of everything, even if intending to give to others, misunderstands who is giving. James tells me in a whole new way that giving comes from the Father. This is startling. Suddenly, insights into how the One answers prayers is a movement of giving from above, coming down from the Father of lights: If it’s twenty dollars to someone in need, a facial or massage, a kind conversation—whatever form the giving to another takes is all coming from the Father as the answer to prayer. I’ve known that we through our deeds are the answers to others’ prayers; I’ve just never taken the meditation of giving to its origin from above, coming down from the Father of lights.

I’m presently in a cycle of intense, creative focus. My intention is to give to my community, present and to come. James’ point that you’ve drawn out helps me immensely. The very act of giving—doing—originates not in me, but in the Father, from whom all giving derives. I now hear more nuance when Yeshua teaches Jesus said to Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise (John 5:19). This teaching isn’t an insight reserved only between the Anointed and the Supernal Father. It’s true for all who are aware of the Father as the origin of giving and doing.

This opens a question regarding states and stations. You've taught that we're gifted states by the One so that we might recognize and realize a greater embodiment: a station. This teaching of James emphasizes this mystery of being gifted with states from the Father. You've spoken so much about this elsewhere. How may this mystery of Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift interact with states and stations from the Father?

Elder Gideon

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Father of Lights (James 1:17)

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am

Grace and pace to you from Hayyah Elohim, Hayyah Yeshua!

The existence, the being, of all things comes from the Infinite and Eternal One, the light and life of all is the radiance of the Infinite and Eternal, and all things, all creatures, are woven from the Names of God, the Divine Attributes, so that all of their intelligence, faculties, abilities - ‘gifts,’ are manifestations of the presence and power of the Eternal One - the ‘Father.’ In reality, nothing exists separate and apart from the Holy One of Being, but all is contained in the Holy One, and the Holy One is within all, though indeed the Holy One, the Infinite and Eternal, is ever beyond the play of emanation, creation, formation and making; in reality, in Essence and Being, nothing exists but the Holy One. Thus, truly, in reality all that arises and appears, all that transpires in creation, transpires with, in and through the Eternal One (Yahweh), and is the manifestation of the Divine Presence of the Eternal One, the Holy Shekinah; in effect, everything is a manifestation of the Eternal God (Yahweh Elohim).

Thus, every action of giving, and the exercise of every perfect gift, is a divine action of God Most High, and if and when the Absolute Oneness of God Most High is realized this is known and understood.

In reality we live and move and have our being in the Eternal God, the Living God (Hayyah Elohim), and we have never been separate and apart from God (El, Elohim); the apparent separation is illusory, unreal, it is a state of ignorance. Along with the forgiveness of sin, which is a crucial divine action of the Messiah for the deliverance of souls, the purpose of the Messiah is to dispel the illusion of separation, the ignorance, gifting us with knowledge of God through conscious union; hence, Divine Gnosis, Supernal Da’at. According to our gospel, it is this knowledge of God, the realization of oneness with God, that is true salvation - the enlightenment and liberation of souls.

Essentially, from a Gnostic perspective, in Messiah Yeshua we have forgiveness of sin and we are brought into oneness with God Most High, if indeed we believe in the Spiritual Sun of God - Yeshua Messiah, and having faith and love, we turn to God Most High and cleave to the Risen Messiah so that we might realize our innate oneness with the Eternal God.

Now the states with which we are gifted by the Holy Spirit, and the stations into which our soul is uplifted by the Spirit of God, this ascension or realization of our soul until the station of ‘passing away’ in the Living God and entering into oneness, conscious union, all of this comes from God and is given to us by God in the Risen Messiah; and do understand it is from God, to God and for God. This is the Supernal Grace of God Most High in the Messiah, but do understand, we are to sojourn the Straight Path as taught in the tradition, and abiding in the Sanctuary of Grace we must enact a complete and total submission of our heart and soul, mind and life, enacting an active and dynamic surrender, living according to our faith and knowledge, co-laboring with the Holy Spirit for the reaching, realization, of the higher stations, higher grades of the soul. If, indeed, we are so willing, the Lord is willing, and so through Divine Grace - the Messiah and Holy Spirit, it will come to pass. This is the promise of the Eternal One, Yahweh, in Adonai Yeshua Messiah. Praise God! Praise the Lord!

Here we may consider, who is giving and who is receiving? Who is speaking, writing, and who is listening, reading? And so in any and all activities, who is sitting, standing, walking, running, breathing, eating and drinking, bathing, sleeping or waking up, and so on? These very questions, this contemplation, is given as a spiritual practice in the Straight Path, and it points to an essential and profound truth, that in reality there is no other than God Most High, the Infinite and Eternal One; God alone is the Real, the Only Reality!

This passage from St. James clearly speaks of this truth of oneness gifted to us in Adonai Messiah, our Lord and Savior.

In the unenlightened condition, the state of ignorance, of course, we are unaware of this, but as we are reborn from above, from the Messiah and God, as the soul within us awakens, more and more we become aware, remember, the innate unity of our soul with God Most High, and so experience the unification of Messiah in God Most High, the Absolute Light.

These are a few thoughts I may share with you.

May all living spirits and souls be blessed to remember their origin in the Holy One of Being and so return to be One! Amen.

Yeshua Shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”