Gospel of St. Mark (12:17)

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Gospel of St. Mark (12:17)

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Here is a contemplation:

Jesus said to them, "Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and give to God the things that are God's" (Gospel of St. Mark 12:17).

We shall say regarding his meaning: 'Give to the demiurgos what belongs to the demiurgos, and give to the Most High what belongs to the Most High.'

But what does this mean?

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Coop

#2 Postby Coop » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:08 pm

Hello Malachi :D

'Give to the demiurgos what belongs to the demiurgos, and give to the Most High what belongs to the Most High.'

This contemplation first makes me wonder about the effects of demiurgos.

Perhaps we can learn to recognize the currents of the demiurgos when we witness the condition of the beastly aspect of our soul ... which seems to me to be run down -- disfigured by a conformity that serves a lower will (in response to judgment); in other words, ravaged by forces of ignorance.

As we awaken to another aspect of our soul that is free from the influence of the demiurgos, we witness that our soul is not run down by judgment, but is a thing of light, and swimming in a medium of compassion and love, even as compassion and love swim within it.

So, when we are under the influence of ignorance, we naturally serve the forces of demiurgos. When judgment comes into play, for instance, we serve ignorance (give to the demiurgos what belongs to the demiurgos) by conforming to societal expectations, rather than being our true selves. We are critical of ourselves and of others; we contort ourselves into a mold dictated by society out of the fear of being judged. In this way, we strengthen its hold over us.

The idea of living by the law, rather than grace, also comes to mind; and perhaps law is represented by the emperor in this verse. When we are under the influence of demiurgos, we conform to the law when we are trying to be 'good,' because we need it to guide us, since we are cut off from our lighter, divinely intelligent selves. That may also be characterized as giving to the demiurgos what belongs to the demiurgos.

Of course, when we are living in ignorance, we are looking out for ourselves (so we think) by trying to escape judgement.

'... give to the Most High what belongs to the Most High.' On the other hand (the right hand, i'd say), when our awareness is awake to nefesh elokit, we no longer serve the demiurgos, since we are not in bondage to ignorance. We do not conform to society, but are in service to our brothers and sisters, whom are not seprate from us, and we receive God's abundance. We even have abundant compassion for the crumpled pattern of energy that is our beastly soul. We really are giving to ourselves, in a way. Maybe we are giving ourselves to God; perhaps we surrender the doer, and that is what we give to the Most High. Maybe what's called for here is to let our light shine before others, so that they may see the fruit of our work, and glorify the Father ... and this is also something we give to the Most High.

When the truth about love and compassion and oneness, and the illusion of the doer, are revealed to us, that is the way we want to live our life ... so we do not give to the Most High the things we give to the Demiurgos (separation, self-interest, judgment), because those things distance ourselves from the Most High.

That's where the contemplation has led me.

What puzzles me is that the source of the forces of cosmic ignorance cannot be different from the source of all creation, so perhaps the demiurgos represents an aspect of God that is in play when an individual is overcome by ignorance. So, aren't we, in either instance, serving God? In any event, it seems counterproductive to judge ourselves for our behavior while under the influence of ignorance!

Also, is this verse parallel to the one about not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing? And if so, can you talk a bit about that?

Blessings and shalom!
Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Demiurgos

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:19 am

Greetings Coop!

It is true that the demiurge and all spiritual forces serve the Divine will and Divine kingdom, whether they are conscious of it or not; likewise, all spiritual forces are the manifestation of the one Being-Consciousness-Force, sustained by the same Life-power, whether aware of it or not. In this sense, the demiurge and archons are not separate or apart from God, for nothing that exists is separate and apart from God.

Perhaps we could say that the demiurge is all perceptions of God seen through the ignorance of dualistic consciousness, and that it is distorted views of reality and the world founded on this ignorance.

Here the demiurge is the "way of the world," the ways of the unenlightened societies in which we must live as long as we are in the world - there is no getting around some level of participation in the ignorance of unenlightened society. Yet, though in the world we seek not to be of the world - not to be motivated by self-cherishing, greed-lust and fear-hatred. In terms of not letting the left-hand know what the right-hand is doing, in part, it seems an issue of not letting good works become corrupted by the wrong motivations which would place them under the sphere of the demiurge.

There is a very esoteric aspect to this other saying you mention, however, for we are taught to maintain a hermetic seal on theurgic works and works of invisible assistance, not to speak of our labors in the spirit but to keep them to ourselves. Why? So as not to allow links to the wrong kinds of spiritual or psychic influences that might serve to hinder or obstruct our spiritual work. This seems to go hand and hand with right and noble intention - right motivations ("righteousness").

We know everything in this life can be transformed into a vehicle of self-realization and the Light-kingdom, and that as we serve others we serve the Anointed and Mother Spirit - thus, works within the sphere of the demiurge can also be works serving the True Light, God most high. But it all seems to come down to our actual intention and the presence of awareness. After all, what distinguishes Nefesh Elokit from Nefesh Behamit save our intentions and "whom we serve"?

In this context there is certainly a distinction between serving the Divine will and Divine kingdom and serving the dominion of the demiurgos and archons, but the distinction lies in our intention and the nature of the karma generated. What serves to enlightened and liberate serves God and what serves to generate sorrow and suffering and bondage serves the demiurge - this seems to be the distinction.

Now this saying regarding taxes relates directly to the mystery of the crucifixion, for through a holy sacrifice a "tax" or ransom was paid, not to God most high, but to the demiurge and archons - a giving of what was do to the chief ruler (demiurge) under the law. And we may say that it was a trick by slight of hand, in which the left-hand did not know what the right-hand was doing, and the demiurge and archons were tricked into serving the Light-kingdom. This is another Gnostic Christian contemplation of the connection between these two sayings.

I enjoyed reading your contemplation! :)

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Phillip

#4 Postby Phillip » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:25 pm

When I contemplate this one, the typical idea comes to mind first, the idea that a person gives his life of the world, his job, his car, all his mudane life to the archons, and to God he gives himself, his inner essence. But this is confused by the proclomation after the Shema: "Let us Love the Lord Our God with all our Minds, all our Hearts, all our possessions, and love our neighbors as ourselves, for this is the entrance into sacred unity, and it is the essence of holiness."

The question arises then, does anything belong to the archons, truly? Or the opposite could be said, does anything we can see, taste, touch, feel and hear NOT belong to the archons? All things that are perishable are under the dominion of law, and therefore are under the dominion of the archons. Even the body and blood of Yeshua was handed over to the archons. Does this mean that even the body of Yeshua 'belonged' to the archons? So the important question in this seems to be, what in us 'belongs' to God? For in finding this, it seems, everything else is added unto us, as it was Lord Yeshua.

Rebekah

#5 Postby Rebekah » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:47 pm

Shalom Phillip!

This brings up an interesting contemplation of the saying "Do not resist evil." We recognize that all spiritual forces ultimately serve the Divine, yet in how we relate to various forces we can either be feeding the demiurge and archons or uplifting them to the Divine, all depending on our intent and the presence of awareness. Yet it seems that these options are not mutually exclusive.

So often in our unenlightened condition we do the very things we hate. If someone strikes out at us, we tend to strike back. If someone is angry at us, we feel justified in our own anger. If we feel that someone judges us, we can be very harsh in our judgment of them. Yet the message of the Divine is Love.

I think of Yeshua's prayer, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." Cosmic ignorance, in its striking out and fear-anger and pain, subtly seems to be asking for our kindness and understanding. It seems in giving to the Demiurge what belongs to the demiurge, we acknowledge its deeper plea - and giving it what it needs in the spirit of love, we can uplift it to the Divine.

Blessings,
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Without-What

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:31 pm

Greetings everyone!

I am struck in this contemplation by the question of what is offered up the the demiurge and archons. My mind goes to the image of the Crucified One and the mystery of the rite of ransom. On the cross the Lord says, "Abba-Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." The body is given over to the demiurge and archons, but the spirit is given over to the Most High - God. Curiously enough, if the body is given to the demiurgos then it is a dust-devil that has been offered up - and so it is with anything worldly that might be offered up, at least in terms of its material element. It would seem a lot of nothing belongs to the demiurge!

Within and behind anything material there is a psychic and spiritual element, which is to say an element of consciousness. If we take the words of Yeshua on the cross there seems to be the interaction of two continuums in the matrix of creation - the continuum of matter and continuum of consciousness; hence the deep over which Ruach Ha-Elohim moved in the beginning and the body of Adam versus the breath that Yahweh Elohim breathed into it. Does the material continuum belong to the demiurge and archons and the consciousness continuum to God?

In Sophian teachings the demiurge is cosmic ignorance which produces a dualistic state of consciousness. The cross has been called "The Limit," which is to say the end of the dominion of the demiurgos or cosmic ignorance and the dualism that arises from it. This is revealed by the Risen Savior in whom we see that the matter continuum and consciousness continuum are actually one and the same; for the body of the resurrection is transformed into Light, which is to say pure being-consciousness-forces. As it turns out matter is simply a dense manifestation of consciousness and nothing is left behind!

I'm reminded in this contemplation of what the Sefer Yetzurah calls the Sefirot (Light-emanations); hence belimah, which literally means "without-what," often translated as "nothingness." The implication is without substance, specifically without independent and substantial self-existence. The deeper implication is that matter itself is without substance, just as the more subtle levels of the reality-display are without substance; hence reality as it appears, and specifically the material dimension as it appears, is illusory. This is a most fundamental perception within and behind virtually all forms of Gnostic Christianity.

According to the Tradition this illusory quality is the "power of the demiurge" and we may say that it is the demiurge, in essence, for the demiurge is illusory though, indeed, all too real in the experience of unenlightened beings. In this sense we can say that illusions belong to the illusory and reality belongs to the Real, which is to say to God. Quite naturally it would seem that in the dawn of supernal or Messianic consciousness illusions dissolve into their own essence and nature, as do all things.

Any time we bring up the subject of the illusory nature of the matrix it seems we must point out that what is "illusory" is the appearance of separate and independent substantial self-existence and the appearance of the internal and external reality-display as separate from one another. In truth everything is transpiring in a unified field of being-consciousness-force; the illusion or delusion is that it does not appear that way to us, rather what appears is dualism. If I give to the demiurge what belongs to the demiurge and give to God what belongs to God, will this not bring the dualism to an end?

The inclusion of love or compassion in this contemplation is so appropriate, for if I am completely interconnected and interdependent with everyone and everything in the fields of sentient existence, how could I not love all beings as myself?

It is fine to play with illusion-power, only it seems we must know it is it is an illusion or enchantment we cast and have a playful intention, lest we ourselves become bound by it. In this regard we may say, "Little children are very wise."

Blessings & shalom! :shock:
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Nazorean

#7 Postby Nazorean » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:48 pm

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's

Caesar is a world ruler a symbol of the Demiurge. To answer the question we must first inquire as to what belongs to the Demiurge. His names are Yaldabaoth - child of chaos, Saclas - foolish one and Samael - blind or ignorant one.`According to the Valentinian exegesis 'death' and 'sin' are a product of his doing. He is also considered the creator of both the psychic and material natures of this world of which Yeshua condemned in the Gospel of Thomas saying, "He who has known the world has found a corpse; and he who has found a corpse, the world is not worthy of him/her." So we can conclude that chaos, foolishness (materialism), cosmic ignorance, sin, death, suffering, the psychic & physical body and the material world are of the Demiurge.

What is God's? Paul the Paraclete said, "For if you live according to the sinful nature you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons/daughters of God. For you did not recieve a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you recieved the Spirit of son/daughtership. And by them we cry Abba/Aima Father-Mother. The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ..."

What is God's? Yeshua said, " My prayer is not for them alone (apostles), I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me , that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

Again I say what is God's? We are! In a world that is filled with the existential terror of extinction, a world where the modern day priesthood and enlightened of society teach only philosophies of despair, how difficult a task it is to believe in anything else. We are anesthetized, numb to our eternal identity in Christ. Yet in the midst of this existential dilemma Christ has come to bring us home, to remind us of Life in Trandscendence. What a wonderful message Paul and Yeshua have for us. All we have to do is believe - accept it in our heart with thanksgiving. Praise be to Yeshua Messiah! Praise be to him for I was once mired in the darkest ignorance but today by the torchlight of his Living Gnosis I am reborn, ressurrected and redeemed! Amen.

And Life is Victorious!

- Yahisha

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Resurrection Body

#8 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Greetings!

It is an interesting question, "What belongs to the demiurge?" Does matter and the material existence belong to the demiurge, does the psychic (mental-vital) existence belong to the demiurge? Perhaps there is something more subtle and sublime behind all of this, for the nature of how things appear to us, how 'reality' appears to us, is illusory in the dualistic state of consciousness. To the extent that we remain in a dualistic state of consciousness, and the grand illusion continues to appear, we may say that the material and psychic existence "belongs" to the demiurge; yet when our spiritual element is realized and actualized, and dualism in consciousness is brought to cessation, perchance the material and psychic existence are restored to the Light-kingdom, reintegrated to the Light-continuum.

This seems to be alluded to in the mystery of the crucifixion and resurrection - specifically in the resurrection body. In some way the material substance of the Christ-bearer, along with the psychic being, is transmuted or transformed by the Christ-spirit and reintegrated to the Light-continuum (hence the image of the ascension). What belonged to the demiurge then?

If the demuirgos is cosmic ignorance, and is the illusion of separation itself, and is, thus, the cause of sin or karma, then what belongs to the demiurge is the karmic conditioning of beings - the karmic manifestation.

Is the material body and world, and the psychic manifestation necessarily a karmic manifestation? In the unenlightened condition is certainly is and, thus, generally speaking, for the majority of individuals it certainly is; yet, with the dawn of supernal or Messianic consciousness that is no longer the case - what arises is the threefold body of Melchizedek, the body of the resurrection.

Understanding this provides an essential key, for to give to the demiurge what belongs to the demiurge is to enter into repose. If what belongs to the demiurge is 'karma,' action and the play of cause and effect, then ceasing to be the doer one leaves to the demiurge what belongs to the demiurge - the illusion of being the doer. After all, according to Gnostic Scriptures this is the very delusion the demiurge suffers from - thinking himself (or herself) the creator, the doer, unaware of the real source of light and creative power, El Elyon (God Most High).

The names of the demiurge differ from one Gnostic tradition to another, as do the teachings on the demiurge. For example, in the Sophian Tradition, Yaldabaot is the name of the demiurge - reflecting the personification of the collective of unenlightened beings; hence a concocted name that is a distortion of the Divine Name Tzabaot (Hosts). This reflects an understanding of beings as quantum manifestations of the One and of the matrix of creation as a cocreated manifestation. Samael in the symbolic and mystical language of the Sophian Tradition is distinct from Yaldabaot, akin to a shadow generated by the demiurgos. Yaldabaot represents titanic or admixed beings-forces, while Samael represents dark and hostile beings-forces or the demonic.

This gives rise to an awareness of a play of forces that is not simply "black" and "white," or evil and good, but includes all manner of shades of grey in between - hence a more subtle and sublime understanding of the play of cosmic forces and the diverse forms of karmic conditioning.

Essentially, there are divine forces, admixed forces and dark forces. Divine forces serve the Divine will and Divine kingdom. Admixed forces, however, serve their own self-interests, which some times are in harmony with the Divine will and kingdom and some times are opposed to it; dark forces are those which stand opposed to the Divine will and kingdom, and that take perverse delight in destruction and chaos. Obviously, the demiurge and archons have an interest in preserving their dominions, but that which is demonic does not - hence, actual evil is said to be inherently self-destructive by masters of the Tradition.

In the Sophian view, ultimately, the sparks of all beings-forces shall be gathered into the mystical body of the Risen Savior, and all beings-forces shall be redeemed, reintegrated to the Light-presence and Light-continuum; including that which is admixed and that which is demonic. After all, there is no static or fixed state of existence, and no form beings assume in the matrix of creation is eternal - the entirety is a constant continuum of change.

There is something that must be said for the tendency of so many individuals to fixate on visions of dispair, doom and gloom, and projections of fear - this whole "end-of-days" mentality. It is the manifestation of a collective death-wish, and a serious folly. If we are co-creators with God, then we must be very careful with our expectations and self-fulfilling prophecies. While bestial humanity and faithful humanity may give way to the dark influences that inspire so much focus on an "end-of-days" scenerio, the spiritual elect cannot allow themselves to do so - rather, the labor of the spiritual elect must be a vision of hope, a vision of the Great Transformation and Ascension; hence the advent of a new and divine humanity. The whole "Judgment Day" scenerio must be recognized as the product of the evil inclination, an idea placed into the mind by dark and hostile forces, and rejected as such. We have our proper object of focus in the Risen Savior, and in other manifestations of the Truth and Light revealed to us - that which dispells ignorance.

These were the thoughts that came in contemplating this subject further this morning...

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Mysteries of the Bible & Gnostic Scriptures”