Mysticism of Samekh

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Mysticism of Samekh

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:57 am

ס
Samekh: Support, Help, Balance, Trial and Error, and the number 60.

No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

While preparing a study of this letter for deacons, a new relationship between what both tests and supports us in our journey arose, synthesized by this dynamic Hebrew letter ס. Let us first consider the first appearance of ס in the Torah:

Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a Samekh as his partner. [...] The man gave names to all cattle, and to the birds of the air, and to every animal of the field; but for the man there was not found a Samekh as his partner. (Genesis 2:18, 20) Rabbi Daniel Matt equates the Hebrew ezer, helper, with Samekh by way of a source document Targum Onqelos which renders the same ezer into Samekh: Help. "So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh." (Genesis 2:21) This word for the its place, va-yisgor, is the first appearance of the letter ס in the Torah; what will ultimately support Adam Ha Rishon separated into Adam and Eve, the Rabbis of Zohar (1:35a) will posit with insights wilder than this brief introduction on the letter can treat. Simply, mysteriously, what apparently is most challenging is most supportive at the same time.

How this is first so is most present in our experience by what is meant to be male and female in any time or any place. Male is both the physical experience of the karma of its roll inherited from the animal past, as well as the spiritual dynamic of imparting, generating; female likewise is its own physical experience of the karma of its roll unfolding from the animal past, as well as its spiritual dynamic of receiving, gestating. As imparting and receiving, generating and gestating, are spiritual male and female dynamics within us all, so also is mastering their internal equilibrium a ceaseless test which ironically supports, as we shall soon see.

That which is beyond our male and female body, rising from death beyond "marrying and given in marriage, but like the angels" (Mark 12:25) is our zelem, our body of light. To encounter this before death is to be resurrected before one has died: Light Transmission. As there are infinite gradations of the light of Ain Sof Or, so also are there infinite gradations of Light Transmission and empowerment. How individuals first respond to such transmission is itself a profound test and indicator of how in or out of internal balance one is with being spiritually male or female.

The Pillar of Mercy is attributed to the male, as the Pillar of Severity is attributed to the female. Spanning these pillars is the Pillar of Compassion, the harmony and dynamism of the male and female in balance. Tiferet is the center of this Middle Pillar, linking to Yesod by way of the letter ס. Linking to Tiferet to Netzach (of the masculine Pillar of Mercy) and Tiferet to Hod (of the feminine Pillar of Severity) are two paths, each accentuating the disbalances, trials, and challenges particular to every individual encountering Light Transmission: Tiferet.

Between Tiferet and Netzach is the Hebrew letter Nun; between Tiferet and Hod is the Hebrew letter Ayin. Nun, out of balance with ס will distort an experience of Light Transmission by way of great fear, recoil, and aversion; not with humility, but panic and dread, will the aspirant degrade the transmission for themselves and others sharing such a moment. Ayin, out of balance with ס will distort the same experience of Light Transmission by way of intoxication, bliss, and attachment; not with self-worth, but aggrandizement and flattery, will the aspirant degrade the transmission for themselves and others in such a wonder. To either side for many first approaching Light Transmission, fear or intoxication is test, is the ס.

Sefer Yetzirah calls this path linking Tiferet and Yesod (in our Christian Tree of Life) Testing Consciousness: “It is called this because it is the original temptation through which God tests all saints.” Suddenly, the rabbis' discourse on ס's first appearance in Torah around the severance of Adam Ha Rishon into Adam and Eve begins to ground how all tests in our experience are founded upon this disbalance within us, this is Adam separate from Eve and Eve separate from Adam, this fear or this flattery that tests us all.

If I fall to either side in a moment of empowerment, I'm given a precious insight into my tikkune that might otherwise have remained hidden and inaccessible for months, even years! The more intense the empowerment, the higher the magnification of anything out of balance within myself. In a significant moment of flux, if I ever fall into praise or blame, or if I ever overpower or feel powerless, even these so-called 'failures' gift invaluable keys laboring towards the true middle and center beyond praise and blame: Empowerment: ס.

The empowerment within ס's testing support may be grounded further in commitment to a spiritual community. Either extremes of powering over others or feeling powerless, praised or blamed in critical moments, are swiftly exposed and immediately impact others as their multiplicity mirrors our individual strengths and weaknesses. It is for this intimate mirror that is spiritual community, which prevents many spiritual sojourners from committing to the demands of a harmonious community. Testing every individual's true center, balancing every individual's insight away from extremes of fear or flattery, blame or praise, community is the foundation of all mystical traditions founded upon meditation and the interior life, for these most organic, dynamic reasons.

One's spiritual realization comes most swiftly, effectually, and integrally within the testing support of community. Our coming into being most rapidly within community points to the inmost jewel of this teaching of ס: Growth. What most tries and tests me also most supports and matures me, for either side of this process is itself what it means to grow. If I am always affirmed and told what I want to hear, I will not grow; if I am never tested or challenged, I will not grow. To be supported is to grow. To effect growth is to endure trial. If I practice a little harder when life is pounding me, if I reach out to serve when I feel most spent, I will breakthrough to another integration beyond my imagination.

Until this study of ס, I did not apprehend nor appreciate the depth of what support and generosity towards another might most truly mean: to foster growth. As I see what cultivates and encourages growth, expansion, and embodiment of a hidden potential, then I see even more deeply what I can only call the practicality of the pillars which bless or correct within Master-disciple relationship grounding through the moral and action triads of the Tree of Life. Between what blesses me and what corrects me is growth itself, the transmission and expression of the Middle and the mystery of ס:

My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline? If you do not have that discipline in which all children share, then you are illegitimate and not his children. Moreover, we had human parents to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not be even more willing to be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share his holiness. Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrew 12:7-11)

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Mark 7:13-14)

'Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and great was its fall!’ (Matthew 7:2-27)

May the test of our faith lead to our endurance,
and may endurance have its full effect,
so that we may be mature and complete,
most supportive of others:
lacking in nothing.

Amen and amen!

Elder Gideon+

Marion

Samech the Egg

#2 Postby Marion » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 am

Shalom!

The more I contemplate Samech, the more it seems to be about balance. I heard a teaching years ago that Samech has to do with the balanced opening of the seven interior stars in the subtle body. This teaching ties in with what Elder Gideon was speaking about in the original post with Ayin to the right and nun to the left, and how they represent falling into bliss and fear respectively. Samech, being in the middle, is the ability to respond rather than react. The ability to not be afraid in the face of the enemy, and neither to fall into unconsciousness when faced with light.

Words that begin with Samech are:

Measure (Samech-Aleph-Heh)
Battle (Samech-Aleph-Vau-Nun)
Warrior (Samech-Aleph-Nun)
To carry, to be burdened, to be strong (Samech-Bet-Lamed)
Worship or To prostrate oneself (Samech-Gimel-Dalet)
To be silent or to observe quietly (Samech-Kaph-Tau)
To shut up, to close up, to repair (Samech-Gimel-Resh)
To fence, to cover over, to protect, to defend (Samech or Shin-Kaph-Dalet)
Succoth, meaning “booth” (Samech-Kaph-Tau)
To forgive (Samech-Lamed-Chet)

In hebrew, the sounds for Samech are similar to Shin. So the two letters become interchangeable. Some interesting words with Shin to note are:
Shekinah, Sandalphon, Shalom, Shabbat as well as the Shin in the middle of the great name Yeshua.

In the book The Wisdom of the Hebrew Alphabet, Rabbi Michael Munk talks about the Jewish relationship between a husband and wife. He says that a wife’s job is to support her husband in his desicions and actions. Unless she sees that he is going to sin-miss the mark. Then she will step in and offer constructive criticism. We can see this play out in the Torah (Genesis ch. 27)in the moment where Rebekah tells Jacob to dress as his brother Esau and still his blessing from his father. I have heard it said before “How could Issac not have known this was Jacob?” he even says “the voice is that if Jacob...” The answer is that he did know it was Jacob, he also knew that his wife Rebekah was behind the trick and he trusted her judgement. Rebekah saw something that was impossible for Issac to see. I our Christian Kabbalah we can see the husband as our earthly soul (Nefesh) and the wife as our Holy soul (Neshamah). Sometimes our Nefesh cannot see the big picture so our Neshamah must step in and we must be aware enough to follow her guidance.

In the Tarot Atu associated with this letter, there is an angel as the central figure. We know this angel to be the archangel Michael. Who we know is the commander of the armies of God. Michael is the archangel we invoke for protection. Michael is attributed to Hod, but also has a correspondence to Tiferet. We can see this attribution alluded to in the traditional visualization of Michael in the Tradition. The Archangel is seen as a warrior with the head as the sun.

Samech along with final Mem are the only closed letters in the Hebrew aleph-bet. This in a practical sense has to do with making oneself a proper vessel of the Holy Spirit. That is, no energetic leaks! Falling to either side of bliss or fear is leaking energy. We could also say this in another way: becoming a victim or an aggressor is leaking energy. Someone told me something about this that has always stuck with me. “It does not matter what you say, as long as you come from your heart. Because if you come from your heart, whatever you say will be from God.”

In his book on the Hebrew letters, Paul Foster Case brings up an interesting teaching: “The quality associated with Samech is Wrath, but this is a blind. The original hebrew word mean Sound Vibration.” I was looking in a concordance, words for wrath and was unable to find the specific word Case is referencing here. However, I find this contemplation of sound vibration fascinating in connection to Samech.

There is a moment of the Gospel of John that we were contemplating last Sunday in the Skype discourse. John ch. 10, 1-5:

“I tell you for certain that only thieves and robbers climb over the fence instead of going in through the gate to the sheep pen. But the gatekeeper opens the gate for the shepherd, and he goes in through it. The sheep know their shepherd's voice. He calls each of them by name and leads them out.
    When he has led out all of his sheep, he walks in front of them, and they follow, because they know his voice. The sheep will not follow strangers. They don't recognize a stranger's voice, and they run away.”
I am wondering, can we see Yeshua here as our Holy soul calling us out and our Nefesh and Ruach as the sheep? So it would be saying that our Nefesh recognizes the voice-energy-vibratory frequency or our Neshamah when we are open and willing to hear it.
It seems that Samech also deals with issues of self esteem. I am thinking here about what Elder Gideon pointed out about falling to the right or the left with Nun and Ayin respectively. If one falls into Ayin, there is self aggrandizement, and intoxication. Conversely, if one falls to Nun, there is fear and self hatred. On the one hand, we cannot hear the voice of Ha Shem because we think we know everything And on the other, we think we are worthless and so cannot hear. Samech is the middle way. The ability to look at oneself objectively and neither judge or get egotistical.
In this way it is interesting to note the shape of Samech. It is oval, like an egg. If one holds an egg too loosely it will fall and break, if you hold it too tight you will crush it. Samech is the ability to hold the egg with a measured pressure.

Blessings,

Marion

Brother Brian

Mysticism of Samekh

#3 Postby Brother Brian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Samekh
Verse 99 (The Secret Gospel of St. Mary Magdalene) Mary said to her companions, “Preach the Gospel to all good creatures, and bear forth the light into all realms. If the wind will listen, teach the wind. If a ghost seeks redemption, then bless the ghost. Speak the truth to all spirits and creatures, for in the Human One all are blessed and all are received.”

Contemplation today on Samekh was on the subject of support and being supportive. We are truly blessed with support be it friends, family, our spiritual community. We are truly blessed with support only if we seek but today it was brought to my heart to contemplate the work in which needs done in my life on giving others support.

It is very important how we hold ourselves around others with what energy we are manifesting. Sometimes we need not speak anything with others especially at work. You can feel how when you keep your energy levels positive how it can change a whole room of people. This is a great blessing when we notice this and are able to stay in this positive place in our hearts with our brothers and sisters. Many times silence is lovely and does great wonders.

It seems the Holy Spirit impressed upon me today to be more skillful with this wonderful tool we have called speech! (Our vocal chords). Most of the time I am waiting with those whom I am with, to speak something of God or maybe hopeful the conversation might go into something more positive and then journey more in the gospel but I am noticing here lately this rarely ever happens. How many times could I have used my voice to bring people into the remembrance of who they are and I have not! How many times could have I helped Mother Spirit remind her children and help put them into remembrance of who and what they are in the light continuum? Letting Mother Spirit use my voice to remove a layer of forgetfulness in people’s consciousness! Reminding them who they are in God.

What a wonderful blessing when we can use our vocal chords to vibrate medicine to the people and land. Tzavaot was something that stirred me today! We are the ones who have been ordained to realize Christ in all creatures both heavenly and earthly. Proclaiming Christ the presence of God in all creatures and also all creatures as a manifestation of God’s presence and power! Yahweh Elohim Tzavaot.

We can use our voice for Ma in so many ways in skillful means. To the fundamentalist using the Bible and verses they are well aware of to draw out light from within them. To the atheist speaking something of the wonders of the Universe and the beautiful earth we behold everyday to draw the light out of them. To the plain and ordinary people who are neither religious nor atheist reminding them what a great a wonderful soul they are. These are things that stirred me up today, some things I need to embody. The image of a mirror came to mind that when people look at it and the mirror reflects the truth of themselves and all others. May we be this mirror that reflects Christ!

I was reminded of Simeon Peter and his denial of the Lord three times in the gospels. It was easy for Peter in the presence of the Lord and disciples to speak gospel but when all alone he failed. He went with the crowd. I can identify with Peter so much. It is easy to pray for people, Give and Receive with people, and be around people and just be, but when we use our vibration box to proclaim gospel how much more awareness does this bring to the people we are with? Human One the speaking One (M’dahber)?

This is one way that the letter Samekh is speaking to me today. Being more of a support for the land and people not only with our prayers and energies but also with our voice.

Mother Spirit we pray that we be bold and skillful in our voice and may it always vibrate the Light presence and Light power to our brother and sisters, the people and the land. May we use this gift we have received to draw those into your abode!

Shalom
Brother Brian

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Mysticism of Samekh

#4 Postby sheryl » Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Shalom Dear Brothers and Sisters!

In a recent contemplation of Samekh, taken with the ongoing teachings of the Divine Angels of the Living Body, something new is being seen that I wish to offer here, for adjustment, correction, or elucidation, all as Mother wills.

Samekh's shape is oval or round giving the impression that without support, it will just fall over, even roll. Munk teaches that the outer line of this letter's shape or circle represents God, the inner line of the shape or circle represent Israel, and the empty space in the center represents the Holy Shekinah.

It seems that it is this play between inner and outer that holds Samekh in place. And in considering God as the angels of God, perhaps we can say that ultimately, it is the angels of God that support the realized human, the pure temple for the Shekinah within?

I am thus wondering if the journey of becoming can be essentialized with this:

As we awaken we come to realize that the intent behind our thoughts, words, and deeds is self sustenance, to sustain our self - or self sustenance of the life display. We might even go as far as saying, initially on the path, the motivation for our spiritual walk is self-sustenance, having goals, objectives, even feelings and thoughts in time and space, first and foremost to sustain self. It is not that this is bad, but in Samekh, I am seeing that perhaps we are moving towards something else. So that instead of the motivation to sustain self being within and behind all we do, that sustenance is moved from the inner line of the circle to the outer line, to God, to the Holy Angels.

Coupled with this is our inner purification, making the inner like the outer - we moving towards being fully sustained by the holy equilibrium that is created, the Shekinah within, the angels without, all sustaining the inner line that is the personality or life display.

This sustenance then being the Manna the disciples knew nothing about? This being the Hidden Manna? Coming perhaps from both within and without, sustaining, holding the life display that was Yeshua in perfect balance?

Shalom!

Return to “Gematria: The Play of Holy Letters & Numbers”