Hebrew Final Letters

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Hebrew Final Letters

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Shalom Tau Malachi:

Midrashim of the post-exilic prophets Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi teach that these rabbis not only developed what would become the rabbinical tradition of the Written Torah practiced as synagogue Judaism today, but the final forms of four Hebrew letters as well:

Kaf כ final is ך

Nun נ final is ן

Peh פ final is ף

Tzaddi צ final is ץ

Like these final forms, Qoof ק is a letter that reaches below the writing line, suggesting that it draws upon, or transforms, the influence of the Other Side, which Kabbalah associates with barriers, husks, qlippot that divide people from the remembrance of their innate union with the Holy One.

That there are four other Hebrew letters whose final form also go below the writing line inclines me to ask how they might be contemplated with the four elements of consciousness. As you and I talked more about this since this topic arose in community last Shabbat, I was fascinated to learn that:

Qoof ק is earth

Nun נ ן is water

Peh פ ף is fire

Kaf כ ך is air

Tzaddi צ ץ is space

I'm filled with curiosity as to how we might contemplate and extend this further! Perhaps you'd be inclined to share more, as mysteries of the elongated final-letters are very complex and dynamic.

Gratefully,

Elder Gideon

Anna

Re: Hebrew Final Letters

#2 Postby Anna » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Blessings of peace and grace to all!

What an intriguing contemplation! That peh corresponds to fire seems to correlate directly with what James says about the tongue.

"And the tongue is a fire...(it) sets on fire the cycle of nature and is itself set on fire by hell." (James 3:6)

I, too, look forward to further teachings about these final letters and their correspondences with the elements of consciousness.
May we be empowered to engage holy thought, speech and action for the blessing of all beings!
Shalom!
Anna

Return to “Gematria: The Play of Holy Letters & Numbers”