Letters of the Priestly Blessing

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Letters of the Priestly Blessing

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 am

Feast Day Shalom:

May YHVH bless you and protect you.
May YHVH's face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
May YHVH lift up His face to you and grant you peace
(Numbers 6:24-26).

In Zohar 2:130b, Rabbi Sh'mon elaborates very deeply upon merkavah, the mysticism of traveling through heavens and worlds, reaching even into the Supernal. As he quotes proof texts from scripture, we're given very deep insights into the nature of mind, consciousness, or soul that might be overlooked:

"If, by the mystery of those letters, one knows the mystery of the Holy Name of Forty-two Letters and invokes them fittingly with fervor, one will see in the glow of foredawn in the sky six Yods, three to the right side and three to the left side, and three Vavs ascending and descending, sparkling in the sky—these are the letters of the priestly blessing."

Inside his context of the Forty-Two Lettered Name, he cites the priestly blessing from Numbers 6. There's a formula in these three verses I would have never known, had he not taught something so spectacular of a blessing both for the living, dying, and dead. Each line holds a pattern of Yod-Yod-Vav.

יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶֽךָ May YHVH bless you and protect you
יָאֵר יְהוָה וִֽיחֻנֶּֽךָּ May YHVH's face shine upon you and be gracious to you
יִשָּׂא יְהוָה וְיָשֵׂם May YHVH lift up His face to you and grant you peace

When I compared these verses fully written out from Numbers, I discovered that this priestly blessing Rabbi Sh'mon cites is intentionally abbreviated to emphasize the Yod-Yod-Vav pattern. I didn't know reducing words for contemplative formulae happened or could be done. Surely this pattern's sum of twenty-six is significant as well.

What matters is this wonderful letter formula Yod-Yod-Vav. I consulted the 144 Names of God and found many Yod-Yod patterns, but none with Vav. Still, the Presence kept goading to stay with this and abide. Only after leaving the Light Wheel yesterday morning did the click come: Yod-Yod-Vav are the aggregate letters making Alef. Praise God!

The elegance of this goes and goes. It's quite standard to see Alef as comprised of a Yod above and a Yod below joined by a Vav. Seen in this way, every conceivable duality or polarity is held by Alef. I'm equally hearing inside and outside joined by a Vav. That this mystery comes to me in our current cycle of the Solar Feast Day of St. Lazarus teaches me of the power of memorizing this blessing as a prayer for the living, dying, and dead, holding in heart א:

א May YHVH bless you and protect you.
א May YHVH's face shine upon you and be gracious to you.
א May YHVH lift up His face to you and grant you peace.

Elder Gideon

Linda B

Re: Letters of the Priestly Blessing

#2 Postby Linda B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Shalom,

This post has stirred my heart to the point where I was drawn to contemplate this further. The reference to "the glow of the foredawn in the sky" struck me and reminded me that the morning star aka Venus shines brightly in the sky at that time also creating a glow. When the word star is used as a verb (lamed-30, kaph-20, kaph-20, Beth-2), the gematria is 72 pointing to the 72 Divine Names and their permutation. Do the 72 Divine Names interact with the 42 Lettered Name of God in regards to creating each new day? If so, how does this take place?

Venus as the morning star is also associated with the letter dalet and the path between Binah (Imma) and Hokmah (Abba). Here there is the play of the dance between the Supernal Mother and Supernal Father as well that of the Son and the Bride - as above so below and as below so above. Since the morning prayer is mercy, does the Priestly Blessing assist in bringing down the Supernal Influx to the Son and Bride?

Finally the Church of Thyatira is linked to the Sephirah Netzach and the planet Venus. In Revelation 2:28 speaking to the Church of Thyatira the Messiah says, "I will give him the morning star". Could this be the knowledge and the power of the 72 Divine Names or perhaps a reference to becoming an Enlightened One in the Resurrection and Ascension?

What more of the mystery of the morning star can be drawn out.

Praise the Holy One from whom all Blessings flow.

Linda

sheryl
Site Admin

#3 Postby sheryl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 am

Shabbat Shalom, Dear Friends!

I am filled with gratitude for this posting, for the mysteries of dawn, or morning, have been in contemplations off and on for many years.

In considering such mysteries this day, as you, Elder Gideon and Sister Linda, have drawn out, regarding the 42 Lettered Divine Name (in Torah, the Hebrew letters beginning with the first letter, Bet and ending with the bet of bohu, or chaos), and the 72 Divine Names, the teachings that the 42 Lettered Divine Name contains the potential of all creation and the understanding gleaned that in this world, the intelligences of the 72 Divine Names result in healing: it is thought that dawn, in creation, is the influx of the powers that heal, that can bring all that arises each day into alignment with Divine will and potential, with Ratzon Elyon, or the 42 Lettered Name.

It is curious that the 42 Lettered Name ends with the first letter of bohu and tohu, chaos and void, indicating that this potential while contained within chaos and void is not chaos and void: this potential is contained within all that arises The influx of the powers of the 72 Divine Names feels to be the influx of the power to heal chaos and void, so creation might arise in this perfection.

And Ruach Elohim moved upon the face of the waters.

It is taught elsewhere in the forum that the gematria of Ruach (214) and Elohim (86) equals Shin (300). Embodiment. Perhaps we can say that when the 72 Divine Names have been embodied, what was chaos and void now arises in perfection?

It is hopeful to consider each day as having this potential, seeing that each day can be a new incarnation. As we arise each morning from dreamless sleep, the powers of the 72 names greet us (as Sister Linda has drawn out), so that each day has the possibility of perfection, of arising in alignment with the 42 Lettered Divine. Hallelu-Yah! Praise God!

Much gratitude to the Holy One and to companions for this contemplation this Shabbat Day.

Sheryl

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Essences of Blessing

#4 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Shalom Sisters!

I pray that the Queen of Shabbat greatly blessed the people and land today through our gathering and worship!

To make the essence of this priestly blessing clearer, it occurred to me in prayer that there's a much simpler essence to unfold from the simple, three-fold kavannot. I heard to my delighted surprise how the layers here speak something new to my hearing of the Three Roots teaching!

May YHVH bless you and protect you: Remember God is with you.
May YHVH's face shine upon you and be gracious to you: Set your mind on things that are above.
May YHVH lift up His face to you and grant you peace: Remember your transcendence.

As I shared this with Tau, he provided another line of kavvanot of how this blessing integrates with the sefirot!

May YHVH (Tiferet) bless you (Hesed) and protect you (Gevurah).
May YHVH's face (Tiferet) shine upon you (Netzach) and be gracious to you (Hod).
May YHVH (Tiferet) lift up His face to you (Yesod) and grant you peace (Malkut).

By beginning with how blessings are generated and drawn down into this plane, we access a greater wealth to give and receive with others. This simplicity stirred my heart and opens a way to apply this for others in prayer. Memorizing this is itself a blessing. Speaking it for others is greater.

Elder Gideon

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Shalom Elder Gideon and Sister Linda!

How delightful this sharing is. The simplicity of prayers offered for the sake of others astounds me.

This is something we can do. It is an empowerment revealing what simple intentions can invoke into this world. Praise El!

Given in this order, this teaching of Tau feels to be an opening through which the moral triad might be invoked into the action triad - as you shared, Elder Gideon, accessing a greater wealth to give to others.

May we be purified in our labor, and become a vehicle of blessing for the world. Amen.

Sheryl

Return to “Gematria: The Play of Holy Letters & Numbers”