saying 16

beesofia

saying 16

#1 Postby beesofia » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:05 pm

Hello-I'm new to this forum and these studies...the most I have done is read...now the waiting is over... :lol: I really like that saying too.

16. Mary said to some women, "If you know the path of the moon you will know the path of the sun. With this knowledge and understanding follow the path of light which is beyond the sun or the moon. This is the path of the cross."

The children's story, "East of the Sun, West of the Moon", came to mind when I read this saying. This is my absolute favorite...a story about a young maiden who must find/rescue her beloved from nasty ogres. There are so many meanings, obvious and subtle, and each time I read it, I learn something new.

Peace&Love-Lisa

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Moon & Sun

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:49 pm

Greetings and welcome!

The path of the moon and path of the sun may have several meanings in the Sophian Tradition. First and most obvious, is the inner and outer dimension of the continuum of rites and rituals kept in a traditional Sophian circle – the inner rites are associated with the lunar cycle (new and full moon) and the outer rites are associated with the solar cycle, solstices and equinoxes, and so forth. The purpose of the inner or lunar rites is initiation and theurgical working, principally, and the purpose of the outer rites is the celebration of mysteries, worship and mystical attainment. These, of course, are intended to encourage and support the spiritual life and practice of the individual aspirant, which is the ground of actual Self-realization in Christ; hence, the light transcendent of the moon or sun. Thus, though in an actual Gnostic circle we may participate in the continuum of rites and rituals, and likewise attend sacred discourse and various sacred activities, ultimately it is tending to the continuum of our spiritual living and spiritual practice that will lead to the dawn of enlightenment and liberation.

On the Tree of Life, the moon is associated with Yesod (Foundation) and the Sun is associated with Tiferet (Beauty), the Light beyond is the Supernal Light of Keter (Crown). This points to various forms of light – aside from the light bound up in the material dimension, there is the astral light (moon) and spiritual light (sun) and the supernal light, which is the Clear Light, beyond. Thus, there is the glory of light, the light and the essence of light, and Magdalene teaches that we must seek to recognize the essence of light, which is the Ain Nature of the mind, consciousness or soul, and not get caught up in dualistic vision, whether outwardly or inwardly.

This is also a reference to the three channel-ways through which the energy known as the “serpent power” or “kundalini” may flow – the left (lunar), the right (solar) or the central channel (going beyond). Ideally, when this desire-energy is fully awakened, the Gnostic practitioner wishes to sublimate it and direct it inward and upward through the central channel-way to repose in the crown center at the top of the head.

There is also another subtle suggestion, for the incarnate state is often called night or winter, and the afterlife states are often called day or summer – moon is incarnation on earth and sun is incarnation in a more subtle and sublime realm or world, such as a “heavenly realm”. However, neither an incarnation on earth nor incarnation in a heavenly realm represent complete enlightenment and liberation, for the heavens, earths and hells, and all realms, worlds and universes in-between, are all expressions of the gilgulim – transmigrations of the soul bound to cosmic ignorance (the demiurge). Thus, what the Gnostic aims to realize is transcendence of incarnation, whether gross material incarnation or more subtle heavenly incarnations.

The moon and sun may also relate to the interior and exterior life, which founded upon the gnostic experience of ultimate truth, manifest in perfect balance and harmony; hence, are a natural and spontaneous expression of Self-realization.

In Sophian teachings, all of these layers of interpretation are interconnected – all angles pointing to the same truth; hence the realization of transcendence and embodiment of transcendence. Each interpretation represents different teachings and methods of this Self-realization in Christ.

Perhaps these might serve as seeds for an extended contemplation of this simple, yet delightful, saying…

May we pass into the True Light, going beyond the glory of light and going beyond appearance of light into the very essence of light – Bornless Being; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

beesofia

saying 16

#3 Postby beesofia » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Greetings and Thank you Tau Malachi-

You've given me much food for thought and many beautiful images to utilize. I really like "Bornless Being"-Just saying these two words takes me out of the mundane into a place larger than I could even try to imagine-almost like wordless words...Silence truly is Golden.

Peace&Love-Lisa

Marion

no object

#4 Postby Marion » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:34 am

Shalom!

What struck me was that both the light of the sun and the light of the moon seem to represent materiality, or the dimensions in space-time where ignorance plays out. Also, that each of these, if one takes the interpretation of the 2 modes of the fire snake, represents desire. And therefore greed, lust, fear and anger etc… so would this light which is beyond the sun and the moon be pointing to desire without an object? Because both the suns light and the moons light have objects associated with them, but this other light does not.

Blessings,
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Indeed

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Greetings Marion, on this snowy day!

Yes, indeed, the light beyond sun and moon is the energy of desire without an object - the Supernal Light.

Good insight, dear friend...

May we be blessed with the gnosis of this Divine Light; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Susan

The Path of the Cross

#6 Postby Susan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:04 pm

Greetings!

What a refreshing and empowering saying this is for women! Lady Mary offers further modelling of how to go about redressing the unbalanced world view of gender relations over the last 2,000 years. Perhaps she is guiding us to the understanding that until due recognition or consideration is paid to the feminine, then the masculine similarly cannot ever really be known, nor liberated.

For I note that Lady Mary specifically directs us to "know the path of the moon" first, if we are to know the "path of the sun". And, upon consideration, isn't that the sequence of our own initial spiritual experience also?

First we see/feel the Glory of the Light before we can see/feel the Light of the Christos itself, both within and without? (For that gift we have to labour in our spiritual practice and living.) And further, in reality, once we have been blessed through Grace to envision the Light itself (the Christos), don't we subsequently realise both the Glory and the Light in an interrelated and interdependent flow? There is no "sequence" or "who's first" then, no possibility of dualism in this other consciousness, just unity and oneness.

Hence, having overcome our biases against the feminine, we can liberate the masculine with our new understandings and then labour towards that greater gnosis, of the Light Beyond the Light, the Supernal Light. So finally, with a spiritual maturity that has recognised the androgynous one as the Human of Light, we can begin our journey along the "path of the cross", the middle path, where we will eventually find repose in the Divine Unity of the Light Continuum.

Shalom to all and may this post add further fuel to the Spirit of Fire!

Susan

Marion

#7 Postby Marion » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 am

Dear Susan,

Yes!

We do seem to start going along the path of the moon, if this path is understood as materiality, and perhaps then to the path of the sun. This is a beautiful point that you bring up, because that means that what we call "masculine" and what we call "feminine" are both inside of all of us. Moreover, it is not even about the difference, duality or discrepency between these two principles. Rather, like Mary seems to indicate here, it is about spiritual principles that we may see and experience, these words are merely a vehicle for talking about what we cannot talk about. Therefore, it is always good to remember that usualy, mystics are not talking about what they seem to be talking about. What is heard is only the first step, with an entire mountain to explore ahead:-)

Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Return to “The Secret Gospel of Mary”