The Secret Operation of the Holy Spirit

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Secret Operation of the Holy Spirit

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu May 13, 2004 10:15 am

The holy are ministered to by evil forces: for the latter have been blinded by the Holy Spirit so that while they help the holy they think that the ones they help are human beings who belong to them. Thus a disciple once asked the Lord about a matter concerning the world. He said to him, "Ask your Mother, and she will give it to you from out of the alien realm." (Gospel of St. Philip, saying 30)

Here we have a clear reference to the Holy Spirit as the Mother Spirit, which is common to both Sophian and Valentinian Gnosticism. Essentially, the Holy Spirit is the actual power within all spiritual beings-forces, whether divine, admixed or dark; for nothing exists apart from the One Life-power. Yet, on account of the demiurgos or cosmic ignorance, many beings, including cosmic forces, do not know the power of the Mother Spirit in them or their own source in God Most High (El Elyon). Thus, in the teachings we hear of the "secret" operation of the Holy Spirit even within dark and hostile forces or demons. This reflects that whether they are aware of it or not, all beings forces play a role in the Divine Plan in creation.

This saying alludes to the practice of divine theurgy among Gnostic Christians in which, through the Grace of the Anointed and power of the Holy Spirit, they are able to manipulate and direct all manner of spiritual beings-forces for the service of the Divine Will and Kingdom. This is not a practice of psychism and occultism, as warned against in Colossians. "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ." (Colossians 2:8) Aside from the extension of the Light of the Cross and blessing of the Rite of Ransom, there is no offering or sacrifice of worship given to lesser divinities and luminaries, but rather spiritual beings-forces are directed for the sake of the Great Work - the harvest of souls, through the power of the Holy Shekinah alone. Likewise, the aim is the enlightenment and liberation of living spirits, along with souls, by drawing living spirits into alignment and harmony with the Divine Will and Kingdom. In effect, we call upon the power of the Holy Spirit in them, and it is the Holy Spirit that brings about what we ask and need for the sake of the Great Work.

Often times, according to this saying, the spiritual forces are blinded and do not know that they serve a son or daughter of Light, but rather believe that they serve a person of humankind under their dominion. This phase alludes to a certain aspect of the theurgic art in which the initiate is able to veil him or herself, and able to assume different appearances during spiritual work in the inner dimensions. This practice is reflected in the Pistis Sophia where we are told that the Savior assumes the appearance of Gabriel, the Angel of the Aeons, and that the archons of the aeons think it is Gabriel they are dealing with. It also occurs elsewhere in the Gospel of St. Philip when we are told that Yeshua appeared to everyone as a reflection of themselves - hence an image corresponding to the one who was encountering him.

The term "alien realm" is a common term for this world, and for the entirety below the Pleroma of Light or World of Supernal Light, for the sons and daughter of Light, the perfect, do not come from this world, but rather their souls are drawn from the Light-kingdom. This, too, is reflected in the Pistis Sophia, for the disciples of the Master are told by him that they are not of this world, and that they so not have souls drawn from the dominion of the demiurgos and archons, but rather from the Pleroma of Light. This is true of anyone who recognizes and realizes the indweller of Light or person of Light in them, and thus embodies something of their Neshamah (Supernal Soul or Soul of Light).

What allows the Soul of Light to enter into incarnation? Our desire to surrender our incarnation to the Anointed and Holy Spirit, to our indweller of Light - when that desire is manifest in full, this person of Light essentially enters in and comes forward, takes up up our personality and life-display. This is the true metanoia (spiritual conversion) of one who is reborn of the Holy Spirit and counted among the perfect. All spiritual beings-forces become subject to such a holy person, and that person is no longer of this world, just as Yeshua Messiah was not of this world.

What thoughts and feelings does this inspire?

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

lleyr

#2 Postby lleyr » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:26 pm

Greetings Malachi!

Your post brings up a number of things for me.

First, the reference to the "perfect" and it's tie to the Cathars. With what little I know of them I have a great interest and respect. I have read several books on them and your post in another forum. But this ties a lot in for me.

Second, I have surrendered to some degree and have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit, but I know she is not completely manifest in me. I have the desire and want to surrender completely. Are klippot what holds us back? I know I consciously wish for surrender, but have to believe that something is blocking it....

Whatever the answer... I will continue the path and seek the goal.

Blessings,
Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Klippot: Obstructions of the Light

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:32 am

Greetings Mark!

Yes, our obstructions to the Light and Holy Spirit are klippot, husks or shells. Essentially, they are old psychic (mental-emotional) complexes that represent an impurity or distortion in consciousness, or simply something that has become obsolete to us and needs to be shed. The father-of-klippot in us is the ego, the great klippot in us - thus the more we learn to shed the ego the more we experience freedom from klippot and are able to be Spirit-filled. For this reason, in reference to the first beatitude, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven," a common translation is given in the teachings: Blessed are they who become empty of themselves, for they shall be Spirit-filled.

Basically, klippot represent a state of fragmented consciousness - a state in which sparks of the soul are bound up in various habitual patterns and complexes of our psyche, hence karmic conditioning. Thus, we labor to reintegrate these fragments into an authentic individuality, which is the meaning of the term "solitary" in Gnostic Gospels, such as the Gospel of St. Thomas. By nature, in the dualistic and fragmented state, we are divided against ourselves and experience inner conflict. Needless to say this consumes a great deal of energy. Therefore, the more integrated as an individual we become the more energy we have access to and experience.

The masters of the tradition have said that wherever there is a sincere and full Desire to Receive, coupled to the Desire to Share, the Holy Spirit will enter in and take up that life. One of our great difficulties is that our desire-energy tends to be outwardly directed and scattered - we desire other things than God's Spirit or fail to recognize God's Spirit in all things. Thus we must learn to consciously direct our desire-energy and learn how to focus it, and we must learn how to look and see the Spirit of God within and all around us. After all, our very life and the life of the world is a manifestation of God's presence and power. Is anyone really lacking anything? If someone is lacking, what is the nature of that lack?

Blessings & shalom! :wink:
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”