passage 11, "Forces"

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

passage 11, "Forces"

#1 Postby Elder Sarah » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Shalom!,

May the Light of Awareness being lucidity to the play of energy going on all of the time!

The following came up in reading this beautiful passage in Phillip

Passage 11:

“There are forces that don’t want us to be saved.
They act for their own sake….
If we are saved there will be no sacrifices,
No animals offered to the forces.
Yes, they made sacrifices to the animals.
They were alive when they offered them,
And then they died.
They offered us dead to god,
And we lived.”

This verse appears to somewhat answer why the demiergos and archons would not want one to “escape from prison”, or in other words, to wake up and come from a state of lucidity rather than the unconscious.

“If we are saved there will be no sacrifices”. This statement draws the question, what is a sacrifice? Of course the passage is addressing something of the Temple worship we find in the Old Testament, but what does the word “sacrifice” mean in modern day? As I examine what comes up when this word is heard I hear the action of giving something up in order to gain something else. We often say, “I had to be willing to sacrifice such and such in order to make something happen”. If interpreted this way we could hear this line in the passage say, if one has been saved one does not need to give anything up so as to gain something else. The act of not giving up so as to gain says everything is full as it is.

The verse continues, “No animals offered to the forces.” Certain forces here don’t want beings to wake up and feel full in themselves and full in God because nothing would be lacking and nothing would be needing gain. There are no sacrifices by those awake because nothing is a sacrifice. In lucidity there is not such separation as to create lack or need.

“Yes, they made sacrifices to the animals.” Here the passage takes a turn. They, being those forces that don’t want us to be saved, are now making sacrifices to what they were sacrificing, the animals. Do you here the endless cycles of the gilgullim here? So we feel a lack or we feel a need and we sacrifice something to supposedly fulfill the lack or need and when that does not work we sacrifice something new to that which we had already sacrificed. This cycle is endless and it is the endless cycle of cause and effect, of karma.

“They were alive when they offered them, and then they were died.” So, that which we gave up in order to gain that something new was already alive, there was no need to sacrifice it because there was no need to gain something else. When we take something perfectly good as it is and sacrifice it, it dies. It dies because it is no longer being used for its original intention.

“They offered us dead to god, and we lived” The adversarial forces offer us dead, in other words steal our light power. To offer something dead is to give something that has no value, no energy. If something is given with no energy behind it how can the Holy One use it? Where is the energy exchange? Yet, it verse says “and we lived”. Somehow, through the stealing of our light power the demiergos, the archons are contributing to life. Somehow, through the unconscious, habitual patterns of the gigullim we are becoming alive. This alludes to the secret operation of Yahweh and hints at the very mystery we see in the Garden of Eden where the serpent has the same numerical value as Messiah. In this mystery it is hard to distinguish Yahweh Elohim from the serpent. So, the demiergos too are contributing to the coming into being of the Human One, it is just unaware!

Penelope

#2 Postby Penelope » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 am

Shalom!

This passage has brought about rich contemplations that went into many dimensions and perspectives. To bring this mosaic into something I can put into writing, Ma guided me to continue the contemplation of sacrifice, the first question in your discourse, Sister Sarah.

Another modern day definition of “sacrifice” is to give up something for less than its true value. When we give up something (sacrifice it) to make something happen (get something in return -- sounds like a business deal, doesn’t it?), we believe that what we get in return has a higher value to us than that which we sacrificed. But what if, with most of our sacrifices, we give up something of high value to receive something of lesser value?

We are taught that the Shekinah cannot rest upon a depressed person, which is complementary to Yeshua’s teachings to be at peace. What if we clutch at worry, angst, grief, sorrow in the mistaken belief that they have more value than peace? What if we are continually sacrificing peace (and the Shekinah) because we do not know its true value?

This begs the question, “What is peace?” Usually, peace is noticed as a relaxation when everything is going our way. But this peace is dependent upon external influences. Where does peace come from when nothing goes our way? This inner-generated peace must be the peace Yeshua talks about. This is the peace we sacrifice to the forces that don’t want us saved (perhaps saved and peace are synonymous?). These forces fool us into believing emotional intensity is how we experience life -- and it is so easy to justify our emotional outbursts! But what if these outbursts are spiritual deaths -- we were alive in peace, sacrificed peace, and died?

But this passage from Phillip ends with this strange sentence: “They offered us dead to god (lower case “g”) and we lived.” Perhaps there is an easier way to come into being, yet in much of my journey, I would keep hitting my head against a metaphorical wall until exhaustion and misery made me realize I had to find another way. In my willingness to sacrifice the misery and walk into an unknown, faith awakened (again and again, becoming ever stronger) and I received peace (again and again, becoming ever stronger).

It is a mystery: I have sacrificed my peace/my light to the demiurgos, unaware of its pricelessness and received darkness. And I sacrificed my misery/my darkness to the Holy One, unaware of its harmfulness and received light. In my willingness to sacrifice darkness, it is transmuted into light.

This contemplation leads to this question: When we notice darkness within us and are willing to sacrifice it, and this is an offering made throughout each day, are we allowing/bringing in/not obstructing more and more light/life into the world?

May all beings recognize themselves as agents of Light!

Blessings!

Penelope

Martina

#3 Postby Martina » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:23 am

Shalom friends,
yes, I absolutely agree, Sister Penelope. If we offer worry, angst, grief, sorrow up the energy of love and compassion in it is liberated. I would also say that to offer something up is a conscious act that connects us to the Divine while sacrificing something is rather unconscious and disconnects us from the Divine.

What Elder Sarah said about the serpent and the stealing of our light power seems to hint at a different appearance of the serpent, an appearance as darkness, as stolen light power, similar to dark matter. It appears to have no energy yet it is full of light and live power.

Gratefully,
Martina
Martina

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

Shalom

#4 Postby Elder Sarah » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Shalom Sisters!

May Shalom in the breath of the Risen Savior be received!

Something you say Penelope really stirs much thought, this is “What if we clutch at worry, angst, grief, sorrow in the mistaken belief that they have more value than peace”

Here I consider how it is we seem to like bad news more than good news. In fact, I have heard of studies done in which news stations attempted to show only good news and found that no body watched them. The question becomes, why? Looking into my own experience, when I have loved misery more than peace it is because somehow I am stuck on the drama of the misery. Somehow, drama appears to lead somewhere where as peace puts a halt to the situation. In the same way we can be addicted to thought and thinking, we can be addicted to drama and misery. I would dare say, we become so addicted to it, we perpetually create it. So, now the question comes, how do we ever end it? And bring peace as you say?

In this turning to the Gospel gives much insight. I am reminded of the Blessings the Risen Savior imparts to the Disciples in the upper room. He appears to them and says Shalom, (peace) three times, breaths upon them, then says:

”As the Father has sent me, so I send you, receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained”

This Blessing has many layers and the Tradition goes many places with this. For the sake of this contemplation and applied to what you have said much understanding is revealed. To forgive is to bring an end to the violence. Just as Yeshua says to turn the other cheek and to stop the “eye for and eye and tooth for a tooth” reaction, so too here he says to the disciples, you now have the power to bring and end to the endless sacrificing of sacrifices. They are granted the power to stop giving their light power away. This power though, only comes to them by way of bringing peace. Now, what can be said of the power to retain? I still hear putting an end to drama. Let us use an example, if you have unfinished business with someone, why not offer it up to the Mother Spirit and be ok with HER timing on the matter. Perhaps the unfinished business needs to be retained for another time, not dramatized and drawn out in wrong timing. And perhaps in this sort of retention true healing can happen in due season, as the Mother Spirit wills. In this case,
Forgiving might not be called for, but instead, retaining for another time. Remembering “another time” could also be a future incarnation. Non-the less, in forgiving or retaining and end to the drama, and end to the misery has come about.

You ask a great question, “Where does this peace come from when nothing goes our way”. I suppose, we need to recognize, as you have said, peace is not coming from the outside. Returning to the infatuation of drama contemplation, we can ask, where do we find peace when every thing is going good? Can’t we see the tendency to find something wrong in everything here? So, whether good or bad, it becomes never enough. Turning inward is our only salvation. Stopping the endless rambling of thought and thinking, of chasing endless desires, this becomes our only choice. To look inward and dare to listen and hear the still small voice, to dare to experience silence.

I am reminded of Elijah’s experience at Mount Horeb here. Elijah is told to “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” First he encounters a great wind, but the lord was not in the wind. Then he encounters an earthquake, and again, the Lord is not in the earthquake. Next, he encounters a fire, and finds the Lord is not in the fire. After the fire, he experiences “a sound of sheer silence”.
It is in the sheer silence that he finally encounters the voice of the Lord. Perhaps an interpretation here would be the wind, the earthquake, the fire, these all being levels or stages in consciousness by which we need to move through in order to come to deeper levels in which we might experience peace. In various ways these would be the clutter, which fills our hearts, our minds, the endless cycles that prohibits peace.

In your comment Martina regarding the serpent power, I am drawn to the story in Numbers 21 where the fiery serpents are biting the people. When Moses prayed about this the Lord tells him to make a serpent of bronze and set it on a pole and “whenever a serpent bit someone that person would look at the serpent of bronze and live. Later in the Gospels, Yeshua refers to himself as the serpent on the pole in the wilderness. This says the serpent power, as you say, is life power needing re-direction. The very act of redirecting ones focus from below, where the serpents are biting, to above on the pole speaks of a redirection of life power, a directing Godward, which we could say peaceward!

May beings be willing to Peace!

Yonah

#5 Postby Yonah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Thank you all for this contemplation.

It's funny... I was just in the Living Room and Adam is watching CNN News. I check out my news on the web so I can pick and choose what I see and how much exposure. I was pretty taken aback at how just plain dark the news was. Interesting that Sarah brought that up in her post.

I think you are right about people being addicted to suffering. I think that there are a couple reasons. One is that it actually brings an adrenaline rush - much like going to amusement parks - and causes a physical bodily reaction. Another reason is I think that the ego often feels better about itsself when it sees other sufferening more than it.. The last reason I can think of is that sometimes people feel better about expecting the worst and not being disappointed then being blind-sided by a bad experience. There is something really negative in our culture about being caught off guard and appearing clueless about coming difficulty.

All in all... I think it is why the New Testament is full of things like Philippians 4:8.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

I think it is to train our mind and our energy to focus on the positive and focus on our heart star.

Shalom!
Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”