No one will see the King while naked

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

No one will see the King while naked

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:52 pm

Greetings!

There is a rich question from this Gospel regarding what will rise on the Day of the Resurrection, the flesh or the spirit:

"Some are afraid that they will ascend from death naked,
and they want to climb back to life in their flesh.
They are unaware that those who wear their flesh are naked,
and those who strip are not naked.
'Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.'
What will we not inherit? The flesh we wear on us.
But what then will we inherit as our own?
The body of Jesus and his blood. And Jesus said,
'Whoever will not eat my flesh and drink my blood has not life within him.' What does he mean?
His flesh is the word and blood the Holy Spirit.
Who has received these has food and drink and clothing.
...In this world those wearing garments are better than garments.
In heaven the garments are better than the wearers."

Conversely, in the Gopsel of Thomas, Yeshua is asked by his disciples:

"'When will you appear to us
and when shall we see you?'
Yeshua said,
'When you strip naked without being ashamed
and take your clothes and put them under your feet
like small children and trample them
then you will see the child of the living one
and you will not be afraid.' (v.37)

Being "clothed" and being "naked" are mixed metaphors throughout Gnostic and Kabbalistic writings, connoting enlightened and unenlightened states of being, dependingt upon the context of the teaching.

While these scriptures ask even deeper metaphysics of the contradictions and resolution between spirit and matter, body of resurrection and body of flesh, Being and Becoming, the contemplation arises while wearing the tallit, the Hebrew prayer shawl.

In honor of our Semitic roots in the Yeshua and Kallah Messiah, Sophian practitioners wear tallits in prayer and sacred discourse. There is no obligation, just a desire to physically feel something of the tradition which underlies our own! The state of being with and without the tallit seems to participate in this question of nakedness and covering.

Like the two examples cited above, I've experimented with two different relationships with the covering and nakedness of the tallit, contradicted in mixed metaphor. In the more standard Jewish practice, the tallit is received as an embrace of the Shekinah, a garment of light clothing the physical body with Her presence and power. It may also connote the Tent of Meeting, a kind of mobile canopy where Moses and other prophets would commune with the Shekinah in prayer and prophecy.

The very reverse may arise as well! Rather than a state of nakedness clothed by the Divine Presence and Power (Shekinah), what becomes of this contemplation when one begins with the visualization of themselves as already naked and unashamed as a child in the Light Kingdom, putting on the tallit as one "puts on" a physical incarnation? Who then is the One wearing the life display? Who is the Being unfolding the Becoming?

Try it! Though textured differently, the communion either way is very uplifting! As we Sophians are trained in mixed metaphor, whether nakedness is purity or defilement and covering is either revealing or concealing, the practice of the tallit seems reversible and illuminating.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Coop

#2 Postby Coop » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:06 am

brothersmiley,

I love it! Lest we get too comfortable with an image of being beyond nefesh, mix up the metaphors!

So long as one is properly attired in authenticity--whether that's nakedness or a suit of light ... and not consumed by the personality emanations, but rather being witness to energy behind them ... and behind them, and behind them ... and identifying with the clothes horse on which it all takes place.

Well, the whole thing reminds me of suddenly being conscious that we have been wearing an energy pattern, a personality, or opinions and a name just like we might wear a cloak. If we shrug off the cloak, we are naked and free. But perhaps putting on a new cloak is akin to generating a subtle body of light?

Blessings
Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

New 'Threads'

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:20 pm

Indeed!

Throughout Zohar and Gnostic scripture, the body of light is regarded precisely in this way! I'm reminded of St. Paul exhorting believers in one of his epistles: "Clothe yourselves in the Lord Jesus." What is the Transfigured and Resurrected Yeshua but a VERY BIG BODY OF LIGHT?

Isn't it intriguing how our body literally recycles every seven years? Every tissue is regenerated. Apart from the DNA making a precise copy of what was, we LITERALLY don't exist from age to age, as though we're shedding 'garments'. Malachi has often demonstrated, even very humorously, how silly it is in one respect how we cling to the earthsuit. Could you imagine weeping hysterically every time you or someone you loved changed clothes?

The Body of Light is transcendent of reference points of physical, personal history, being a present truth in all states of consciousness. If we're intimate with this Body of Light, willing to its advent, which in my experience in similar with evaporating, I'm told it need not be an ordeal. In the Gnostic and Light Transmission, slipping out of this physical body is as potentially effortless as getting out of my workclothes, a grade of faith to which I'm still adjusting! javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”