"God is a Man-Eater"

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

"God is a Man-Eater"

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:32 pm

God is a man-eater. So people are sacrificed to him.
Before humans were sacrificed, it was animals,
because those they were eaten by were not gods.

(The Gospel of St. Philip, The Gnostic Bible)

There is humor behind this saying, though it speaks an uncomfortable truth. It is meant to provoke thought, and perchance something of a vital reaction that asks, "What do you mean, God is a man-eater?"

First we may consider the uncomfortable truth. You see, it implies that while thinking we worship God it could very well be that it is not God we are worshipping at all, but rather some lesser god or goddess, or worse, something dark and hostile. In fact, it implies that much of the time in the present human condition, it is not God Most High (El Elyon) that is worshipped, but something other than God or the Divine.

While atheism may well be considered a dis-ease in consciousness, or perhaps a poison, so also is religion in which dogmatic creeds and doctrines replace the worship of God in spirit and truth - this is well reflected by the dark side of religion, fundamentalism in all of its forms.

As disturbing as it may be, the apostle reminds us that whatever our concepts of God might be, they are not God, and in fact they prevent true gnosis of God or Enlightenment. Along a similar line of thought, I may say, "I believe in God," but what does that mean? Is it actually faith in God or a belief in the concepts of God in my mind? There is quite a difference between these two - one brings about the illumination and liberation of the soul and the other leads to continued bondage.

We often speak of the need for direct spiritual or mystical experience, though our inner experiences can be a source of deception as well. There is a significant difference between psychic and spiritual experiences, and all too often the psychic is confused with the spiritual. Likewise, there are many beings-forces with which we can come into contact, some apparently quite luminous and powerful, but which are not necessarily divine beings and certainly are not God, the True Light. Thus, while do seek direct spiritual or mystical experience of God, and the truth of the Risen Christ and Holy Spirit, we must be discerning as we embark upon the mystical journey and be certain it is the True Light with which we come into contact. After all, those who were sacrificing animals thought it was God to whom they offered sacrifices, and faithful to their beliefs they considered themselves "spiritual," yet they remained psychic.

Indeed, the Matrix of Creation is a deceptive place, for there is a great illusion-power in it; the power of the demiurge, cosmic ignorance, and its shadow, the Opponent (Satan or Samael). Given the potency and extent of the cosmic illusion-power, the question becomes: How is it possible to discern between the Divine presence and power, and the admixed and dark forces?

The key lies in self-knowledge and the cultivation of the presence of awareness, for unless I know myself, how shall I assume to know anything about God or Enlightenment? Indeed, as the image and likeness of God I must seek to know myself if I desire to know God. Likewise, only to the degree I am completely open and honest with myself, and know myself, will I recognize what sort of spiritual beings forces I link with - for only through self-awareness will I be able to look and see what is being encouraged and served in me, whether it is of the True Light or some false light. Ultimately each of us must discern this for ourselves, for no one can discern it for us.

If we were to give some measure for discerning wisdom, recognizing that even the words of measure could mislead, the measure we would give is love and compassion, for all of the great adepts and masters teach us this, and all authentic wisdom traditions agree upon this. Such is the very nature of the True Light (God) and of the true humanity (children of Seth), which the True Light desires to enter and draw into Itself.

Now the holy apostle says that God desires to consume us, which is to say God desires to draw us into conscious unification with Godself, the nature of which is a transfiguration or transformation, as we see in the Gospel of Truth. Indeed, as it is written, "Yahweh is a fire consuming fire, making all like unto Itself." The Holy Shekinah is, in her essence, a spiritual nuclear fire that transfigures or transforms all that is touched by It.

Perhaps in conjunction with this saying we might contemplate the experience of Elijah on Mt. Carmel, when the Spirit of Yahweh came to him as the speaking-silence or still small voice. In this we might glean some sense of the process of discernment in the midst of our psychic and spiritual experiences. For here we must say, before the influx of the Supernal Light it is the Spiritual Light that comes from above, but Eheieh is not in the Spiritual Light, rather Eheieh is in Yahweh, the Supernal Light of El Elyon (God Most High). The Spiritual Light is, indeed, divine, but it is the Supernal Light to which we must aspire; the Light that is beyond the heavens or the spiritual, and certainly beyond the psychic and the vital or astral light.

To this we may add the saying: The Light that is 'seen' is not the True Light, for the True Light is Transparent Light (or Clear Light).

May the Divine Mother reveal the Face of the Living Father to us, amen.

There is certianly much more contained in this saying, but this is the contemplation that flowed from it this afternoon which I found myself inclined to share. It will be interesting to see how this saying speaks to others.

Blessings & shalom!
Last edited by Tau Malachi on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Crucifixion and Resurrection

#2 Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:41 am

Greetings Tau Malachi,

I was wondering if this saying has something to do with the mystery of the Crucifixion and Resurrection? It seems that we are "eaten" no matter what, but the question becomes, What are we feeding? Are we being consumed by the Holy One of Being or are we being consumed by the demiergos and archons? In the mystery of the Cross it seems Yeshua is both at the same time feeding the demiergos and being cunsummed by the Holy One of Being. In this it seems one cannot separate out the Crucifixion from the Resurrection. In the Crucifixion Yeshua is offering himself as a sacrifice to the demiergos so that in their feeding he can be utterly consummed by the Holy One of Being, hence Resurrecting as the Sun of the Human One.

Another thought that comes in contemplation of this saying is how we direct our desire energy. It seems if we fall into our concepts of what we think God is, then our concepts manifest as misdirected desire energy. For example, in and behind the tendency in our culture for mass consumerism there appears to be a certain desire for the Beloved, only in allowing this desire to manifest prematurely (or only on the surface) this Holy desire becomes the desire to consume from the outside and not from the inside. If the consuming happens from the inside it appears a fire is kindled and the desire for the Beloved grows and grows and the trick is allowing that desire to burn rather than allowing it to surface and manifest as an outward desire, hence mass consumerism ect...

This reminds of a story you have told before about traveling through a huge Palace and how in walking down the hallways one comes to rooms full of the most rare and beautiful jewels ever imagined. Now if one enters any of those rooms in which the beautiful jewels are then one becomes distracted and has forgotten that the point of the walk through the Palace was for the walk not for the beautiful jewels. This also remind of the quest for the Grail which seems to be speaking of the same mystery.
I suppose also this could be tied to the mysteries of the Gigallim and the cycles of reincarnation of the Soul. Does one remember why they have come? Is there a continuuity of consciousness and a recognition of the Pattern that Connects.

Many Blessings!

Sunny

Doug M.

Direction Unknown?

#3 Postby Doug M. » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:45 pm

Hello, Tau Malachi -

Thank you for the verse and the notion of "God the Man-Eater." I have also found myself spontaneously thinking in terms of "God, the Master Miller" in the past few years, for His function seems to be to repeatedly shatter our husks and grind down to the kernal. The Master Miller's work is never done, for we seem to repeatedly grow new husks! There is some Rumi poetry along these lines -

"The grapes of my body can only become wine
After the winemaker tramples me.
I surrender my spirit, like grapes, to his trampling
So my inmost heart can blaze and dance with joy.
Although the grapes go on weeping blood and sobbing,
"I cannot bear any more anguish, any more cruelty!"
The trampler stuffs cotton in his ears:
"I am not working in ignorance. You can deny me, if you want, you have every excuse,
But it is I who am the Master of this work.
When, through my fashion, you reach perfection,
You will never be done praising my name."

You raise a very interesting question, one that I have struggled with. How are we to know to whom we are surrendering? For in our present condition, we see through the glass but darkly. Discernment, vision - these are traits we struggle to develop in ourselves, the traits by which we may make the surrender to the Holy Spirit and not some counterfeit entity, but they are as yet only seeds or seedlings and mistakes could easily be made.

This question becomes all the more urgent when experiences begin to unfold, as previously the practitioner may have had experience only with visualizations and directed imagery, said in another way, meditations more or less under one's egoic control. When this imagery comes to life, as it were, there is the potential for surprise, alarm, wariness - as much potential for a reaction that is adverse as for one that is beneficial. Added to the conundrum is that humanity tends to decide issues of discernment based on gut-level instincts coupled with some level of conceptual judgment. Yet our concepts are, for the most part, in service to our egos - indeed they may be identical in some minds. If we decide to resist the experience simply because it lives and breathes from a Power beyond our egos, we can miss the "narrow gate." If we decide to surrender unreservedly, there is the potential, as you point out, of being seduced by a lesser power. From another point of view, a surrender is not a true surrender if the ego is partitioning off parts of the experience and resisting. In other words, there seems to be no such thing as a partial surrender, or a surrender only in a direction our egos may choose for us. From the human level, there seems no way to resolve this paradox. Maybe Zen Buddhists have made a koan out of this! :)

I still have some trouble thinking about this matter. The only provisional conclusion I can come up is this: perhaps the surrender is guided by one's previous aspiration, and that trust in the Spirit at the moment of Light-Bestowal stems from knowing that one's desire for the Highest in the preparatory work has already "immunized" against error and set the target for the aspirant. Is this possible? Is this what typically guides and protects the aspirant?

This also seems to segue into the notion of faith, the faith to move forward into experience, recognition, realization or ordeal when all that appears to the aspirant is a Dark Night and the end of the world as previously known. It seems in my contemplations that when we begin to consider this type of Faith, we are moving very close to the heart of the matter - a faith based not on the pale and tepid concepts and ideas cherished by the ego, but a Faith that sees nothing but the Cloud of Unknowing ahead, yet does not hesitate to relinquish the egoic fear and trembling. There seems to come a kairos moment when all is distilled for the aspirant into a fundamental choice - do I relinquish the egoic control that may have previously kept me safe? Or do I trust this Larger Power to be truly benevolent? How may I know that It is truly benevolent? Could I be deceived in this matter? Is it possible for admixed or dark forces to assume the appearance of one of our objects of meditation? And as Sunny raised the question, what is our surrender feeding? Or is this concern not for us to worry about? Could you kindly comment on these considerations?

Blessings,
Doug M

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Intention

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:50 am

Greetings!

Indeed, this saying is related to the mystery of the crucifixion and resurrection, specifically the reintegration of ourselves to the Light-presence and the reintegration of the Light-presence into the Light-continuum; hence the Path of the Great Transformation and Ascension.

If we look into the mystery of the crucifixion what we find, in essence, is an action of love and compassion. On the outer level it is an act of self-sacrifice for the benefit of others - the enlightenment and liberation of all living spirits and souls. This truth is the basis of Giving and Receiving Practice in the Tradition, in which we exchange our light and joy for the sorrow and suffering of others, generating a heartfelt concern for the well-being and welfare of others over and above our own self-interests. This is the love and compassion Master Yeshua taught us through the mystery drama he enacted: a self-offering in unconditional love and compassion. Where there is such Light and Love admixture and darkness cannot enter in or link - this must be our Noble Ideal, the intention of our spiritual labor.

We begin with the Desire to Receive for Oneself Alone, the egoistic condition; it is a natural part of our individuation process and is the product of Nefesh Behamit, our beastial nature. The key is a self-purification and consecration, a conscious effort to integrate the Desire to Receive into the Desire to Give. At the outset we come seeking to receive, seeking our own Self-realization in Supernal or Messianic Consciousness; hence seeking a "personal salvation," as it were, separate and apart from others. However, the true aim of the spiritual life and practice is the spiritual welfare of others, not of ourselves alone. Why aspire to enlightenment and liberation? To be of the greatest possible benefit to others - to serve others to the greatest possible extent, as reflected in the Great Gesture of Master Yeshua. If this is our intention, then the our will is the Divine Will, the Divine Will becoming our life's intentionality, and in this we abide in the Divine Kingdom. In this we may understand that it is the Power of Intention, the Power of Will and Love joined, that ensures we serve the Divine and that makes us a vehicle or channel of the Divine presence and power.

This naturally leads to a constant aspiration towards the Most High (the True Light), so at no time do we grasp at this or that attainment, or remain idle in the Way, but rather we continue in our spiritual labor for the sake of the harvest of souls - our spiritual life and practice is not for ourselves alone, but for all humanity and the world, for all living spirits and souls. This constant spiritual aspiration to be and become all that we can be also serves to ensure that it is Divine Being with which we join ourselves - it invokes the True Light.

Do I seek the Spiritual Light and the Supernal Light to have it for myself, or to serve as a vehicle or channel of the Light in the world for the sake of others? What is my motivation and intention? It would seem that intention is everything in this sense.

Consider the plight of the psychic who falls to the second temptation, making a public display of psychic or magical powers to be noticed by others or to feed the egoistic self, or who uses such gifts for a profit - as in the way of a false prophet. What sort of spiritual beings-forces will enter in? Such intentions can only link a soul to admixed or to dark and hostile forces and, thus, lead one astray. In this we may understand the need for self-purification and the complete consecration (self-dedication) of ourselves and our lives to the Divine, the Most High. We may also understand the need for the motivation of love and compassion, for in love we serve the Beloved.

It seems the issue is not "my" Divine Illumination or what happens to "me," but rather it is all about the Gnostic and Light Transmission and the Divine Illumination of humanity. This seems to be indicative of a true and faithful surrender to God, Divine Being, and it is the guardian of the soul's journey. It is this that overcomes all forms of negativity, for when self-cherishing is dissolved the cause of all negativity is dissolved - hence all admixture and darkness vanishes.

Here we are talking about maturation in the spiritual path and the aim of the spiritual life and practice; hence the 'spiritual adult' who knows her or himself as a daughter or son of God Most High - a Spiritual Sun that gives Life and Light to the world, seeking the Enlightenment and Liberation of all. It is an "open secret" known to everyone - it is known in our heart and inmost being, we need only surrender to the Mother's love.

If we are open and honest with ourselves, and with the Anointed and Mother Spirit, inwardly we will know exactly whom we are serving - the spiritual forces we contact are discerned by what is served and encouraged in us, which becomes clear as we learn to go within and live within instead of living on the surface in the Ignorance.

Along with this we may also point to the power of the tzaddik and spiritual community, for our contact with other experienced practitioners serves as a sanctuary as well - the idea that it is good that we go it alone as so often put forth in modern spirituality is more akin to self-delusion and arrogance than wisdom. You see, our spiritual friendship with others is a safeguard in the midst of a highly subjective process in which we could easily become lost or go astray. With our spiritual friends we always have guardians and reminders of the Way - we gain our spiritual education and support, and in turn we serve to guard and support others in thier spiritual labor. In my own experience I find this essential, not only in how it benefits myself as a spiritual practitioner, but in the power of a group to serve as a matrix of the Light-presence and Light-continuum in the world and to serve to facilitate the Light Transmission. Quite naturally, there is greater power when we work together that benefits ourselves and others - hence the power of the Mystical Body.

Psuedo-Zen Koan: There is no one to surrender, so there is no surrendering. Seeing this, surrender. :lol:

A sense of humor also seems necessary, for when we do not take ourselves so seriously we naturally relax psychic tensions and tend to be more loving and compassionate. This saying reminds of this as well!

May we learn to love as Christ loves, amen.

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Kat

Regeneration

#5 Postby Kat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 am

Shalom all,

When I was contemplating this saying what came to mind was cycles in the mystical journey. It seems is though in being comsumed and all negativity burned away we are recreated and regenerated. It seems as though it is Divine Grace that does the eating. As Malachi pointed out we must surrender to the consumption.

I am reminded of the snake eating it tail, the symbol of the serpant power. It seems as though we are always reveiling ourselves to ourselves in these cycles of consumption and rebirth.

Shalom,
Kat

[/b]

Merlin

#6 Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:13 am

Tau Malachi,

Is this expression perhaps simply a way of referring to our absorption into the Infinite Light? The reference to humans sacrificing humans now that they have become gods seems to imply to me that we, as a race, have attained a level of development where we may return to the Light, hence being consumed or eaten, as nothing of what was before remains. In this context, the post related to Crucifixion and Resurrection would make sense.

Blessings of Awen,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Reintegration

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am

Greetings and blessings!

Yes, indeed, the reintegration of the soul into the Light Continuum (Yahweh) is among the common interpretations given to this provocative saying. As often said in the teachings of the tradition, what we call "human" is a transitional state, and we are destined to evolve to become more than human by current definition.

Of course, in the present human life-wave there are many gradations of evolution - from bestial or material, to psychic or faithful, and the spiritual or elect. Our reintegration into the Light Continuum begins in the in the gradations of the psychic or faithful, and then comes into fruition in the gradations of the spiritual elect.

In this regard we may cite a curious teaching on the Wedding Feast or Eucharist in the tradition - among the faithful, celebrating the Wedding feast we eat and are fed, but among the spiritual we are eaten and feed.

This idea of being eaten and feeding as Adonai Yeshua perhaps plays itself out most profoundly in the tradition in a practice of self-offering as though upon the cross, one that has a direct resonance with a practice in Vajrayana Buddhism called Chod - an offering of oneself to satisfy both luminous and dark beings, all sentient beings.

*One of these practices if recorded in the Order of St. Mary Magdalene forum.

In any case, the principle of reintegration with the True Light is among the teachings in this saying...

May we be the fulfillment of the heart's desire of all; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Merlin

#8 Postby Merlin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks, Tau Malachi. My interpretation of this is that, when we were more primitive, we were animals, incapable of aspiring to the Light, and that we returned to what my tradition refers to as "The Otherworld" (or Annwn) as animals. Additionally, we slew each other in the name of our "gods" in both war and in sacrifice. (Pity that some still choose this path.) Now, we have developed consciousness which has elevated us to a point where we may aspire to Oneness. We no longer sacrifice others, but we sacrifice ourselves. This is the inner meaning of OM (or AUM), with Resurrection being depicted in HUM in the Buddhist (Vajrayana, particularly) tradition.

I confess I am only beginning this particular Gnostic Gospel, and it's great to have a teacher who can assist me in my new gnosis.

Blessings of Awen,

Sincerely in love and fellowship,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

malochim

Re: Reintegration

#9 Postby malochim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:30 am

Tau Malachi wrote:...
In this regard we may cite a curious teaching on the Wedding Feast or Eucharist in the tradition - among the faithful, celebrating the Wedding feast we eat and are fed, but among the spiritual we are eaten and feed.
This idea of being eaten and feeding as Adonai Yeshua perhaps plays itself out most profoundly in the tradition in a practice of self-offering as though upon the cross, one that has a direct resonance with a practice in Vajrayana Buddhism called Chod - an offering of oneself to satisfy both luminous and dark beings, all sentient beings.

This reminds me of the beautiful Hymn to Jesus (The Round Dance of the Cross)

I would eat; and I would be eaten.

Amen!

Love,
Jonas
”Only love has meaning, it raises the smallest action into infinity.” , Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Round Dance

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Salutations in the Light of the Messiah!

Yes, truly, the line you quote from the Round Dance of the Cross applies perfectly here - it's a point in classical Gnostic texts that holds this teaching of self-offering.

The Round Dance is a wonderful way of celebrating the Holy Wedding Feast.

Receiving in full may we be empowered to give in full - may our holy desire for union come to fruition. Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Merlin

#11 Postby Merlin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:08 am

Greetings, my friends. I've been asleep for a long time. Working close to the Great Mother means that Winter is a time of deep slumber and dreaming for me, as well. I begin now to awaken at Imbolc....

In the Asatru (Norse) tradition, Odin acquires the Wisdom of the Runes by sacrificing Himself to Himself by hanging Himself from Yggdrasil (the World Tree) for nine days and nine nights. John Matthews presents a similar Celtic tale of Ogma Sunface sacrificing Himself upon the Wheel of Taranis to acquire the Wisdom of the Ogham. In the tradition of the Nazirutha, Yeshua sacrifices Himself primordially upon the Cross of Existence to manifest as Man. Through all of these ordeals, the Messiah becomes the Center of the Circle/Wheel during a transformative process....Hence the Round Dance being a similar initiation.

What are all these traditions teaching us?

They speak to a simple point, I think, that being born into Wisdom, being born into Gnosis, being born into Enlightenment requires a paradigm shift that is a form of dying. From the perspective of Yahweh, this requires being consumed in Holy Fire, a recollection of Pentecost or Yeshua's ordeal in the desert. The ultimate nature of such an initiation is the integration of Yeshua/Mary, All Father/Great Mother, High God/Manifested God through the mystical fusion of Fire and Water to form the Pure Air of Primordial Spirit, undefiled and sanctified.....The Light descends....The Light is absorbed/collected in the Grail....The Light and the Grail become One.

Blessings of Awen,

Merlin
Deus Lux Solis

malochim

Re: "God is a Man-Eater"

#12 Postby malochim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:15 am

Greetings everyone,

While reading the english translation of the taittirya upanishad part 10 I noticed the following segment goes along perfect with the spiritual truth behind the writings of the Gospel of St. Philip as well as the Hymn of Jesus (Round dance of the Cross):

He who understands "That"
When he has left the body
After reaching and knowing the Self
Of Consciousness, Reality, Love,
Made of foods,
Breath,
Mind,
Understanding,
Bliss,
Enters and enjoys these worlds,
Being provided with ample foods,
Assuming any form he likes,
He sits and sings,
The Hymns of Brahman,
Bhavu, Bhavu, Bhavu,
Oh wonderful, oh wonderful,
Oh wonderful, indeed!

I am food!
I am food to be eaten,
I am the eater of food,
I am the poet who links
The two as One,
I am the first born
Of the righteous harmony.
Before the Gods
I was in the centre
Of all "That" which is Immortal.
He who sacrifices me,
He alone preserves me.
He who eats food
I too eat, as food.
I overcome the whole world,
I am endowed with Golden light
Like the blazing Sun.
He who knows "That"
Reaches "That"
This is the Secret Tradition.
This is the Upanishad.

Love Jonas
”Only love has meaning, it raises the smallest action into infinity.” , Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

Return to “The Gospel of St. Philip”