Pistis Sophia Book with Commentary

Moderator: Elder Gideon

lleyr

Pistis Sophia Book with Commentary

#1 Postby lleyr » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:36 am

Greetings Tau Malachi!
I have a question... For my birthday someone bought me a copy of "The Pistis Sophia - Text & Commentary" by Dr. J. J. Hurtak. The web site for the book is at http://www.pistissophia.org/.

Have you seen this book or do you know anything about the author? I haven't started reading it, but have read the introduction. So far everything seems pretty good and there is even mention of Kabbalah. I have not yet began the actual text & commentary, though.

Blessings,
Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Commentary

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi Brother Mark!

The translation is beautiful of the sacred text, but the commentary requires one to become immersed in Hurtak's unique symbolic and mystical language. His view is a school of thought in and of itself. His symbolic language is pieced together from many and diverse wisdom traditions, as well as some ideas drawn from modern science.

We don't use his commentary in circle, but rather stay with oral tradition that has developed in our own lineage.

Blessings & shalom!
Last edited by Tau Malachi on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Dennis

#3 Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 am

Greetings Tau Malachi,

Which version of Pistis Sophia do you recommend?

In Light,
Dennis

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Translation

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:58 am

Hi +Dennis!

We use the translation by G. R. S. Mead. Until another translation is available without extensive commentary set into the midst of the text this seems to work best for our purpose. But Mead's translation does not read so easily, so if a more modern translation became available of just the gospel we would swiftly shift to usinging. Thus far I haven't found one, though.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Dennis

#5 Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 am

Shalom Tau Malachi,

I was recently sent a PDF of Pistis Sophia that was "Translated by Carl Schmidt and Violet MacDermott". Are you familiar with this version?

+Dennis

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 am

Hello again!

No, I've never seen it. Is it published as an actual book yet? Since I have a very "rural" dial-up connection acquiring large documents from the internet does not work very well - I hope it is in books form, as that would be perfect for use in circle. We really do need a more refined translation that's easier for modern students to read.

Shalom
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Dennis

#7 Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:15 am

Shalom,

I haven't seen it anywhere although my knowledge of the history of Pistis Sophia is nil. It's not too large -- about 250 kb. Let me know if you want me to send it.

Dennis

Dennis

#8 Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 am

Here's a link to this translation -
http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/PistisSop ... Book1.html

Dennis

MichaelMagdalene

Versions of the PS

#9 Postby MichaelMagdalene » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:36 am

I own both the GRS Mead version, and the JJ Hurtak version. I read the GRS Mead version all the way through including the commentary and introduction, and absolutely loved it.

Although I understand the language Hurtak uses, I feel he is overly and un-neccesarily technical. I occasionally pull out the Hurtak version to compare it with the Mead version, but for all practical purposes I would suggest using the Mead version.

Return to “Pistis Sophia”