Wings of the Shekinah

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Wings of the Shekinah

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Shalom to you all!

I am recently fascinated by the contemplation of the imagery of wings throughout Torah and Gospels. Either they are the powers of angels' movements, as in Ezekiel's vision, or they are maternally sheltering and enveloping.

Ruth 2.12:
May the Lord reward you for your deeds, and may you have a full reward from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge!’

Psalm 17.8:
Guard me as the apple of the eye;
 hide me in the shadow of your wings,

Psalm 36.7:

How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
   All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

Psalm 61.4:

Let me abide in your tent for ever,
   find refuge under the shelter of your wings.

Psalm 63.7:

for you have been my help,
   and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.

Isaiah 40.31:

but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
 they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
   they shall walk and not faint.

Malachi 4.2:
But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings.

2 Esdras 1.30:
I gathered you as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. But now, what shall I do to you? I will cast you out from my presence.

Matthew 23.37:
‘Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!

What recurs most often from a recent dream experience, is how inseparable the imagery of wings are from the Shekinah. Is it any wonder how often Shekinah imagery in Torah is connected with an Eagle? What's more, a wing is able to give lift and flight to a bird by the variety of the shapes and sizes of the feathers. Here, in the feathers is what is most intriguing to me.

We learn in many Kabbalistic teachings that the Shekinah--the self-evident and manifesting power of the Holy One--is technically in Her good company, who are maggidim (angels). Wherever She is welcome to move is actually the welcoming of maggidim, for by maggidim is Her power to heal, defend, prophecy, or manifest a sign or wonder made possible. Shekinah is maggidim and maggidim are Shekinah, as feathers are to a bird's wings. Something very beautiful is peeking out at me here to contemplate Her powers--Her maggidim--as Her feathers.

May the Holy One empower and shelter us with the strength of Her Good Company.

Elder Gideon+

sheryl
Site Admin

Wings and Repose

#2 Postby sheryl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Greetings Elder Gideon!

In first reading your contemplation, I thought of Revelation 12 where the Woman clothed in the Sun is given two wings of a Great Eagle so that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.

This speaks to me of ascension, of repose with movement, perhaps even speaking of the Wedding Chamber as the serpent is brought into cessation.

And so the Wings of the Shekinah is perhaps speaking of a mystery, the Unity of the outer and the inner - Wings within and Wings without?

Shalom!

Sheryl

Zhaphyr55

Omens

#3 Postby Zhaphyr55 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:45 pm

During a recent evening chat with Sister Sarah, one of the things that came up was the concept of watching and examining animals and other beings for signs and signals. I am always aware of the bird people around me. Most of the time it means little. Yet this evening I watched a hawk above me hover in the air currents almost directly above my home and below the clouds. When a powerful storm came this evening, it was as though I had taken faith within my heart that everything was all right.

I have more on omens but this is not the correct place for that one.

May the wings of the Shekinah enfold us as we proceed through unknown corridors.

Amen
Jacquie

sheryl
Site Admin

Energy behind animals movements

#4 Postby sheryl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Greetings Sister Jacquie!

I too have found great learning while observing animals. It seems that as we experience their energy, something awakens in us, a new knowing or understanding that is demonstrated in the attributes and associated energy of the animal.

Perhaps this opens the door for us to learn more about our own energy.

Shalom!

Sheryl

Martina

#5 Postby Martina » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:25 am

Shabbat Shalom all,

this is a very intriguing contemplation. Building on what has been drawn out, there is something coming to mind in connection with what Elder Gideon wrote:

“Wherever She is welcome to move is actually the welcoming of maggidim, for by maggidim is Her power to heal, defend, prophecy, or manifest a sign or wonder made possible. Shekinah is maggidim and maggidim are Shekinah, as feathers are to a bird's wings.”

A quote from Exodus 19:4 seems to resonate with this: “You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.”

The quote from Exodus seems to speak about the Shekina having brought spiritual community together. So welcoming her, we open to her and become vehicles for her maggidim. So could we say that in a way spiritual community is her wings? This seems to hint at the great power of Shabbat and is like a very good promise to all, bringing all together who love her and the Holy One. She leaves no one alone.

Gratefully,
Martina
Martina

sheryl
Site Admin

The Wings of Shabbat

#6 Postby sheryl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:07 pm

She leaves no one alone.

There feels to be great Power in these words, Marina!

A Promise - all we have to do is repent or turn towards Her and we will find Her.

All we have to do is cleave to the Holy Bride and we will be swooped up and carried away in Her Wings.

May all be gathered together in your Wings, Kallah Messiah, this Shabbat and in Eternal Repose. Amen.

Sheryl

Return to “Mysteries of the Divine Feminine”