Rebekah and the Samaritan Woman

Brother Brian

Rebekah and the Samaritan Woman

#1 Postby Brother Brian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:35 am

Contemplating from (Genesis 24:1-26) today. The story of Abraham sending his senior servant to find a bride for Isaac and he does so finding Rebekah at the well.. The story to me had the same feeling of the story told in (John 4:1-42) when Yeshua went and spoke with the Samaritan woman at the well. Some of the similarities or relativeness are as follows:

Both events transpired around evening. Direction of west? Yesod
Gen 24:11 It was evening ,when the woman would go out to draw water
John 4:6 Jacob’s Well was there . Yeshua sat down by the well because he was tired from traveling. The time was about six o’clock in the evening.

Rebekah and the Samaritan woman’s background.
Gen 24:15 She was the daughter of Bethuel, (dweller in God or abode of God) son of Milcah (feminine aspect of the soul)
John 4:4 Yeshua had to go through Samaria (mixed state of consciousness) He arrived at a city in Samaria called Sychar (confused state of mind or intellectual mind only) or shekinah in exile.

Rebekah was a virgin. Gen 24:16 The girl was a very attractive virgin.
Samaritan woman was not a virgin John 4:17-18 Yeshua told her, “You are right when you say you don’t have a husband. You’ve had five husbands, and the man you have now isn’t your husband. You’ve told the truth.’

Both the servant and Yeshua ask for a drink of water.
Gen 24:17 The servant ran to meet her and said, “Please give me a drink of water.”
John 4:7 Yeshua said to her, “Give me a drink of water.”

Rebekah used her water jar to complete the task of making sure everyone was in fullness of water Gen 24:18-20 ‘Drink , sir,’ she said. She quickly lowered her jar to her hand and gave him a drink. When she was had finished giving him a drink , she said , “I’ll also keep drawing water for your camels until they’ve had enough to drink.’ So she quickly emptied her jar into the water trough, ran back to the well to draw more water, and drew enough for all his camels.

The Samaritan woman in John 4:28-30 Then the woman left her water jar and went back into the city. She told the people, “Come with me, and meet a man who told me everything I’ve ever done. Could he be the Messiah?’ The people left the city and went to meet Yeshua.

The end results of both of these events was very joyful. Rebekah running to Laban (white, pure, clear, shining, gentle, nobile) and family rejoicing in the pretty jewelry Rebekah was wearing bringing excitement to go meet Abraham’s servant.

The Samaritan woman leaving in excitement because she was introduced to the Messiah. Messiah telling her everything she has done. John 4:39-42 Many Samaritans in that city believed in Yeshua because of the woman who said, “ He told me everything I’ve ever done.’ So when the Samaritans went to Yeshua, they asked him to stay with them. He stayed in Samaria for two days. Many more Samaritans believed because of what Yeshua said. They told the woman, “Our faith is no longer based on what you’ve said. We have heard him ourselves, and we know that he really is the savior of the world.’

They are many contemplations swirling around about these (2) events. The first one that came up was in Genesis was the shekinah in unity, and in John the shekinah in exile and separation finding redemption in uniting the whole of herself again.

The other contemplation was shekinah emerging from Hesed in Genesis in pure complete being taking upon herself separation and restraint and power to manifest forth a place for Gevurah which would further give place to Tiferet. Through this process shekinah would be wounded and separated entering into forgetfulness of her true being so that she could bring and manifest, birthing about her children (Elohim). In John we have Messiah (Yahweh) who was birthed from this restraint rescuing and uniting shekinah in her fullness and unity once again. Through this whole transaction many being brought into remembrance of complete full being (Uniting Heavenly and Earthly aspects of consciousness) creating a true human being after the image of Yahweh Elohim.

What else can be drawn from these (2) events and correction where needed of these events that happened at the wells?

Shalom
Brother Brian

cynthia k

miriam's well

#2 Postby cynthia k » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

brother brian! thank you for these thoughts...the idea that comes to me is of shekinah in potential, that we all have this deep well of still water within, but even in the presence of the bridegroom(awarenesss) the ruach is not activated or potentiated within until our act of giving (self offering). in the giving is the receiving...the difference seems to be that rebekah has awareness where the samaritan woman does not (as well as the impurity of the samaritan woman)...is this because of the actual presence of the bridegroom bridging this division as opposed to the agent of the bridegroom with rebkah? in peace, cynthia

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Well and Water

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:26 am

Shabbat Shalom!

I too am fascinated by the relationship of discovery and disclosure over wells, which were places in the ancient world, where news, encounters, and teachings of every kind transpired.

The very presence of the well itself points us to a contemplation of Daughter-Malkut; the hidden source of the water of the well may be understood as Mother-Binah. As water fills a well, the mother is known by the daughter. Both Rebekah and the Woman from Samaria are 'Daughter', meaning 'unmarried', not united with their consort. Tau Malachi helped me understand that the Samaritan Woman's many 'husbands' is not many divorced marriages, but many teachers, or tzaddikim, from whom she'd received teachings at Jacob's Well. If she had literally remarried so many times, the town would have had no regard for her preaching Yeshua's transmission. That they listened to her and came out to meet him and even invite him to stay some time, suggests that she was a very respected, spiritual woman seeking her Tzaddik for a long time and finally found him.

Between the well and the waters, of course, is this other mystery I hear Brother Brian asking about, the Presence of Awareness, which may be contemplated as Tiferet. As the well is joined with the water by a transmission, so Binah is joined to Malkut by Tiferet. With Rebekah, the transmission is the change in her life finally meeting Isaac by way of Abraham's servant Eleazar. With the Samaritan Woman, the transmission is the change of her life finally meeting her Rabbi and Tzaddik. These events between Genesis and John overlap in that Rebekah and Issac will later generate Jacob who will later build the well over which his reincarnation in the form of Yeshua will meet the Samaritan Woman. In other words, many generations and neshamot intersect, converge, and align, in this deceptively simple moment in John.

Drinking you Living Waters, Perfect Master, may we never thirst again.

Elder Gideon+

Return to “Mysteries of the Divine Feminine”