Image of Enlightened Womanhood - Enlightened Humanity

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Image of Enlightened Womanhood - Enlightened Humanity

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:03 am

In answer to a question:

When Lord Yeshua gives his heart-word to Lady Miriam, sealing the series of secret teachings and practices of the Gospel that he has shared with her, he says: “Seek to know nothing, seek to understand nothing; seek to be nobody, but abide in the purity of being, as I am (Eheieh).” Likewise, he goes on to say, “The Spirit of Truth (enlightenment) is the same, whether realized by men or women, yet when a woman’s desire is directed towards the Pleroma of Light and she embodies the True Light she is a greater power of Divine Light in the world.”

Seeking to “know nothing” and “understand nothing” represents transcendence of the ordinary mind and discursive thought – a shift to the supramental; seeking to “be nobody” represents transcendence of name and form, and personal history, to abide in the primordial state of Bornless Being. This is the Divine Life, free from the dominion of the demiurge or karmic matrix. In essence the Master says, “Recognize the emptiness of the doer and no longer be the doer.”

Why is the potential power for existential realization greater in women? This relates to the greater capacity in women for sensation and feeling, her innate receptivity and potential for transparency (self-abnegation), as we see in motherhood, along with her greater capacity for intuitive and subtle perception. Yet she also has a greater sensual/sexual desire – stronger potential passion, as we see in the desire for children in the face of the sever ordeal of giving birth and the necessary self-sacrifice involved. This same passion, liberated from its instinctual mode, is an incredible force for enlightenment and liberation, and when directed towards the play of the Gnostic and Light Transmission leads spontaneous and dynamic spiritual transmission. Thus, when a woman embodies the Light-presence (Anointed) and Light-power (Holy Spirit) it may be significantly more dynamic and she may naturally and spontaneously facilitate the realization of a larger number of beings – her way of transmission is radiant and tends to be more inclusive of those in her environment.

Even if a woman chooses to take up actual motherhood, still she can utilize the karmic situation to attain the noble ideal of Christhood; the stronger her attachment the greater the potential display of Light-power, it merely depends upon knowledge of the Way of Transformation, and the interplay of spiritual self-worth and spiritual humility as taught in the Way of Transformation.

If the potential for existential realization is greater in women, why have there been so few great adepts and masters incarnate as women? Firstly, there may well be more realized individuals who were women than we are aware of, for our knowledge of them assumes they were outwardly recognized as such and that their life stories were recorded – karmic vision in our unenlightened societies and cultures would largely preclude that, save in exceptional circumstances. We have only a few names of women adepts or masters, such as St. Miriam of Magdal in Gnosticism, or Yesh Tsogyel and Machig Labdron (among some others) in Vajrayana, but that does not mean there were not others whose names and stories were not recorded. Secondly, in that there is such a strong bias in the karmic vision of the world against women, and the holy or enlightened ones tend to work within the context of the karmic vision to which sentient beings are bound – all in skillful means, incarnation in male form more often than not may be chosen as yet, for according to the present karmic vision, more individuals might recognize an adept of master in male form than in female form.

This is well reflected within the modern trend of interest in St. Mary Magdalene (or Miriam of Magdal), as many of her public voices will proclaim her the wife and consort of Jesus, fulfilling the mystery of “hieros gamos,” but are incapable of seeing her as his true co-equal, co-preacher and co-enlightened with him, and the female embodiment of Christ (Christ the Sophia). While many write and lecture about her having some “more significant role,” few view her as co-equal and a spiritual master in her own right – including many women! Her “more significant role” is mostly about Jesus have sex and having children, not her spiritual attainment – thus, in the midst of modern interest in Lady Miriam it is largely corrupted by karmic vision.

It is also reflected in Tibetan Vajrayana – after all, how many of the recognized High Lamas are women, and how many Dali Lamas have been women, even though some women have been recognized as great masters in Tibetan history? This karmic vision is very powerful!

This is part of why writing and publishing the book, St. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Tradition of the Holy Bride was so important to me – it does not just tell the tale of a wife and consort, but of a woman spiritual master and enlightenment in woman’s form. It is an important message, for there is a great need for the influence of the Sacred Feminine in the world today and it is women who must embody it – but women must have faith in their true capacity and actively aspire to actualize their greater potential, truly taking up the spiritual life and practice with the aim of embodying higher consciousness: Christ Consciousness. If there was ever a time to struggle to break free of this Vision of Ignorance, it is now!

We need more than women who are spiritual teachers, we need women who embody realization – women who are true spiritual adepts and masters, and who can communicate gnosis (enlightenment). According to the Sophian view, the second coming of Christ – the advent of a new consciousness in humanity, will come through womanhood, realized individuals who are incarnate as women. The embodiment of enlightenment (Christ) must be equally received in manhood and womanhood alike – quite obviously, as yet, it is not equally received in humanity.

Indeed, a woman may receive teachings and initiation from a man, but that does not mean the man who served as her spiritual master “enlightened her,” any more than a midwife helping a mother give birth is responsible for the conception, gestation and birth of the child – whether man or woman we must each labor towards enlightenment and unfold our own realization.

The issue between men and women is a product of dualistic consciousness (ignorance, the demiurge), for in enlightenment, in Christ, there is neither “male” nor “female” – there is no dualism. Perhaps the most significant key to the recognition of the equality of men and women, in the world and in enlightenment, is the identification of ourselves first as human beings, then as men and women; hence, the Human One, the Enlightened One – the Sun of God (Light of God).

Taking the karmic/dualistic vision of woman and man as the ground of a spiritual practice, we view every woman as the Holy Bride and every man as the Lord – it is a practice that transforms karmic vision into pure vision, taking the poison to make the antidote in skillful means. Along the same lines, exercising spiritual self-worth, every female Sophian practitioner walks in the world as the Mother or Bride and every male practitioner walks in the world as the Lord – thus, the Holy Bride is continually relating with the Lord and the Lord with the Holy Bride, our Lord and our Lady are perpetually in the sacred dance together.

Whether Lady Miriam or Lord Yeshua, this is the divine potential in us, whether we are a woman or a man – first and foremost, among Gnostic Christians, they are divine personifications of our human and spiritual potential, the enlightened nature in us. If we labor to recognize and realize this enlightened nature, then perhaps there will be more women and men who embody Self-realization and the advent of a new consciousness can truly take hold among us, the old ignorance being overcome.

If we wish to see a change in the world, we must seek to bring about that change in ourselves; if we wish to see a greater good in the world, we must actively labor to bring forth that good from within ourselves. We cannot stand looking backward and live in reaction to the past, but must labor for realization today, seeking a conscious evolution towards the noble ideal of Christhood (or Buddhahood). This, in essence, is the Sophian Gnostic view.

May the Holy Bride be received in her Divine Fullness, and womanhood be restored to its Divinity; may the Self-realization of the Human One be fulfilled among us – Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

#2 Postby Marion » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:59 pm

Shalom Malachi

I am wondering, if awareness is the key to changing karmic vision? Because it seems like if one is unaware of the supression of women around the world, or chooses to ignore it, then there is no possibility for change. This seems to be related to the last part of the post where you say that if we see the need for a change outwardly, then we must change it inwardly first, in that. Because if we can recognise what is happening outwardly when it is happening inwardly, then we can consciously respond instead of just going with the tides of karmic vision. Because the other question is, "How many other things in life is this effecting?" To illustrate this a bit better I can use something that happened a few weeks ago: I was driving up to the centre for discourse one day and I saw a woman having a hard time backing into a tight corner on a driveway. I thought in my mind, "Oh, I wonder if that woman needs help backing that truck up?" then as I got closer, I realised that it was actualy a man, Then I thought, "Oh, I guess he doesn't need help, he's a man, so he must know what he is doing." right after I thought this it struck me what I had just said, and how strangely sexist it was. I used to think I was fairly unsexist, but those series of thoughts really made me realise how incredibly insidious this karmic vision is. But it also made me realise the need to become conscious of ones thoughts, to become the silent witness so that one may actualy catch those little anomalies in ones veiw, and thinking. That seems to be the only thing that would change this vision. It is also interesting to wonder, if I could say that about a woman in a truck, how mant other thoughts like this are not being caught, and what sort of message is that to ones sub-conscious? That is why that statement that you say often is so powerful: "First we must veiw one-another and ourselves as human beings, and then as men and women." This really struck me as I was reading the dictionary the other day, and I happened to come across the word, "Gender" under which it said, "either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions." given this, it is actualy ridiculous that we make such a distiction between the two, because how much more is a human being that just their reproductive organs? This seems to be the distinction between bestial humanity and actual human ones. because if we are distingushing each other solely based on reproductive organs, then aren't we veiwing ourselfs just like anyother animal in the world? but a human being is so much more than that. Therefore, it seems that when we are veiwing eachother as male and female, ignoreing all of the other faculties that a human one posseses, then we are at least partialy, falling into bestiality.

I wonder if this is part of the teaching in the imaculate conception of the Christ? Because is Mary bringing forth Yeshua from within herself, speaking of this androgenous quality that the human one has the potential for? Because Even if Mother Miriam and Josef did have relations and conceived Jesus, and if they viewed one another as human ones, then would not the conception be imaculate? because then there would be no distiction between the two, no male or female, just human beings. And if these human beings brought this child forth from within themselfs, and in so doing, if they were centred in the spirit of truth, then it would be as if the holy spirit entred in grace to implant the seed of conception the the virgin mother. In this way, how could Mary be anything other than virgin? I wonder if this is related to the practice of seeing every man as master Yeshua and every woman as mistress Magdalene? Because then, whatever one saw, it would be pure spirit?

This isn't to deny the distinction in the relative sphere, because as you say, it is extremely powerful as a woman, to have an image of enlightened womanhood such as our Lady Magdalene. But it seems, to have the veiw of "Human One" within and behind a veiw of woman or man, would make the relative veiw of woman or man very powerful, and one would not have too deny men to be a powerful woman, nor would one have to deny women to be a powerful man. I think this is why, reading your new book Mary Magdalene, Gnostic Traditions of the Holy Bride
has been so amazing, becuase a figure like that who demonstrates the fulness of womanhood, gives hope everywhere to women, it is very empowering. which I think is a key question for women, "How can I be empowered?

Many thanks,
Blessings and Shalom!
Marion

Susan

Enlightened Woman

#3 Postby Susan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:40 pm

Greetings Marion and Malachi,

What a wonderful time to be in the world as a woman! Surely there could be no better era for the female gender as the last 40 or so years. As a product of the 60/70's I certainly feel grateful to be here and part of it all.

I have often thought about the coming of Lady Mary amongst us again; and I am inclined to think that, just as all life is in a constant state of creation and destruction, hence evolution, then similarly different to any former enlightened beings, would be the enlightened female of the 21st century.

Perhaps she would not, in fact, be recognised by many others for what She truly is. Perhaps many of Her biggest detractors would be women. For just as Yeshua was murdered by those under the influence of the Demiurge, those who "did not know what they were doing", then perhaps today many of us would also not recognise the Anointed One. Political correctness exists within all establishments today, no matter whether government, business, religious, environmental or intellectual. And we must beware of innocently belonging to any such mass controlled monolith!

So, based upon my own considerations on this question, I have come to expect the unexpected! My hope is that the Second Coming will be unique within all of us and that there will be many millions of us, prepared through our own dedicated spiritual practice and spiritual living, to truly recognise the unforeseeable and unpredictable Holy Nature of the Anointed One amongst us! Verhayah!

For just as Lord Yeshua spoke of things never heard of, nor indeed dreamt of before, within the Jewish and Roman societies, so too would I expect Lady Mary to unleash a whirl-wind of challenging yet elevating spiritual energies within our world's somewhat intellectually and spiritually stagnant air.

I know that only through the Grace of the Mother Spirit have I arrived at this appointed place and time and only through Her continuing guiding hand may I indeed be free of the klippot that would prevent me from truly recognising and realising the Holy One amongst and within us all.

May we all sense the rush of this spiritual wind as our Lady moves amongst us, preparing the Way. Amen.

Susan

Blessings to you Malachi for being the spiritual beacon for so many of us.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Immaculate Conception

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:25 pm

Salutations Marion and Susan!

I do not know that we can use the term “Immaculate Conception” to express the conception of a child between a man and woman who join as human beings, per se, as that may take the term out of context. If we are speaking of the conception of Yeshua occurring through the union of Joseph and Miriam and at the same time as an “Immaculate Conception,” in the language of Gnostic teachings the Immaculate Conception would point to the mysteries of the Emanation Body dimension.

The Emanation Body is the way realized or enlightened individuals appear in the material dimension and the Glory Body is how they appear in the more subtle energy dimension, the inner metaphysical dimensions. Essentially, if a realized or enlightened individual remained in the Truth Body and did not generate a Body of Glory and Body of Emanation they would not be perceived by unenlightened sentient beings; but generating a Glory Body and Emanation Body they appear among us, teaching, initiating and guiding us in the Path to Enlightenment. The term Immaculate Conception relates to the generation of a Body of Emanation, which can be generated and manifest apart from a womb, or can be spontaneously generated in a womb apart from typical conception, or can be generated by a projection of the enlightened mind or soul-stream between the father and mother seed at the instant of conception. In whatever way the Emanation Body was generated, it would be the same – Pure Emanation, composed of the pure essences of the elements, which is light, and could be said to be of “Immaculate Conception.” Of course, the term Immaculate Conception specifically relates to an Emanation Body spontaneously generated in a womb, as in the story of the Virgin Birth of Lord Yeshua.

As you know, in Sophian Gnosticism there are many different views and legends on the same subject in the oral tradition, as though very different lines of thoughts, some of which may seem opposite or contradictory to others. These differing views and legends reflect different teachings and methods for the attainment of Self-realization, matching various versions of karmic vision, and reflecting the various gradations of faith and gnosis that occur in the unfolding of the Self-realization process. Thus, for example, there are teachings of Yeshua conceived by Joseph and Miriam – through the practice of the arayot (mysteries of sexual mysticism), and there are also teachings on the Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth, which reflect the inmost secret teachings. In any case, the typical orthodox view of Immaculate Conception is challenged, especially the dogmatic view of this sort of event as isolate to Master Yeshua – for understanding the principle of the Cosmic Christ and exploring other wisdom traditions, we find the Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth elsewhere, occurring in the life stories of other great adepts and masters.

Essentially, the story of the Immaculate Conception of Lord Yeshua reflects that he was the incarnation of a great adept or master, a realized individual, and that his body was not a karmic body, but was a Body of Pure Emanation, as is revealed as the Gospel unfolds. The story of the visitation of the Mother and Child be three “kings of the East,” as well as by three prophets (shepherds) also reflects this – spiritual adepts or masters coming to recognize and pay homage to the reincarnation of a great master.

That said, in the teachings that speak of the Master conceived by Immaculate Conception, and that speak of Mother Miriam as the Virgin Mother, the Holy Mother herself is said to be “conceived by a kiss,” which is to say born of Immaculate Conception. Thus, Mother Miriam is viewed as the incarnation of a realized individual also, and we find in the Holy Mother and Bride (St. Miriam of Magdal) images of enlightened womanhood – according to the Gnostic Gospel, sharing the same name, they share the same spiritual state of being, enlightened being.

The Holy Mother has been accepted to some degree, but the Holy Bride has been largely rejected, only now, per chance, becoming accepted to a greater extent. What is fascinating is that in her acceptance the Bride is often being viewed in pretty much the same way as the Holy Mother – while being a disciple of the Master, she called the “partner who completes” the Master because she gave birth to his child or children, not as a true coequal and co-preacher with him, sharing in the same enlightenment. The difficulty with this view is that it suggests a woman must be mother to a spiritual man or the wife of a spiritual man in order to be “spiritual” herself, as though women are not spiritual in themselves, as are men in their true nature.

In the Sophian view, in Mother Miriam and Lady Miriam we have two images of enlightened womanhood, coequal with the enlightened manhood embodied in Master Yeshua – they are personifications of enlightened humanity. This view is reflected, for example, in the Gnostic Gospel entitled “Pistis Sophia,” in which both Mother Miriam and Lady Miriam are inmost disciples of the Risen Christ and give interpretations of inner and secret teachings, imparting teachings themselves. Quite distinctly, the Mother and Bride demonstrate the most intimate knowledge (gnosis) of the Christos, Logos and Sophia.

Indeed, to avoid men or hate men is not productive towards a true coequality, let alone actual enlightenment and, in fact, is the very same ignorance that sponsors the oppression of women – it is the very same darkness. The fact is that this entire struggle is in the egoistic self and the delusion of lack, this “devil” that would keep us in karmic chains forever. Frankly, the struggle of manhood or womanhood towards enlightenment and liberation is no different in its nature - the truth of suffering is the same, the cause of suffering is the same, as is the potential for the cessation of the cause of suffering and the dawn of enlightenment. In a manner of speaking, all of the issues on the surface, such as debates between the teachings of various wisdom traditions, strife between race groups, the battle of the sexes – all are symptomatic of the actual problem (ignorance or dualism in consciousness) and all are distractions. It is all the play of karmic vision, the vision of ignorance. The ultimate solution to it all is to bring the cause of it all into cessation – to cut off the root of ignorance, which is self-cherishing.

What is important about images of enlightened manhood and enlightened womanhood is that we see this is possible for men and women alike, and we see how progress can be made towards enlightenment and liberation. These images become a sanctuary to us – a source of refuge and spiritual hope, and they provide a means of self-identification with fully evolved and enlightened being, so that we might recognize the Truth and Light within us and embody it. They are, in effect, akin to the vision of experience through which we might come to pure vision, though to actually have the vision of experience we must recognize the enlightened nature they personify within ourselves.

If the necessary conditions are present for us to sojourn the Path to Enlightenment, truly this is a wonderful time to be in the world and is a precious opportunity, both for men and women – if we are wise we will make the most of it. In terms of the potential for women’s spirituality, among women living in more liberal countries who have the necessary conditions, the present is, no doubt, among the best of times, offering more encouragement and support in the Path to Enlightenment than might have been present in other times. In this regard I believe Mother Miriam and Lady Miriam, and other illumined women we know of in the past, who lived in different cultures and in more difficult times for women, are especially encouraging – for if in their time and place they could embody enlightenment, despite the greater resistance they faced, then so also can we in our modern times. Really, they are encouragement for women and men alike – all of the enlightened ones are proof to us of our greater potential and the possibility of realizing it and actualizing it in this very lifetime. Praise the Virgin of Light, Mother Sophia!

May we all experience Immaculate Conception in the heart-womb of the Virgin of Light and be reborn of the Mother Spirit; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sophia-suzette

#5 Postby sophia-suzette » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Greetings!

This an issue close to my heart. I grew up in a cultural environment, where women were considered a “necessary evil” responsible for the fall of mankind. This weighed heavily on me as a child, yet deep inside me I had an unshakable conviction that there is another side to the story, and I set out to find it, away from the Christian Orthodoxy in which I was raised. In a way you can say that the very concept that I was given in my environment that women are lesser in every way, including spiritually became my spiritual impulse, the basis of my search. It was indeed in the Sophian teachings that I eventually found the answer.

Although much has changed in the world, women are in my opinion still not accepted for their intrinsic nature, but have to strive to be more like men to be recognized as equals. I have often wondered why there are still so few Female spiritual teachers in this world, as examples, except in the areas of Paganism and New Age developments, not excepted by most anyway, as a valid form of spirituality. Feminine qualities are still not excepted as equal to the masculine qualities. It seems to me that it is in this perception that lies the continued bondage of the Feminine potential, and so that of the Masculine Potential, as the two are linked.

Blessings and Shalom,
Sophia

paulnewman

Women

#6 Postby paulnewman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 am

Yes, I agree.

I was involved in a Church for eight years, which denied Women the priesthood. The divine feminine was alluded to and the Male church leaders advocated respect for women, but certainly there were few women who were growing into their power.

May the day come soon when all men and women realise their interdependence and set one another free to express the highest in us.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

The Struggle

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 pm

Greetings!

Ah, yes, this seems to be the greatest obstruction to a full and true coequality of women and men – as yet we do not really have an equal valuing of the feminine and masculine in our society and culture, or in our world. Until we have an equal value of the feminine and masculine, how can we have an actual coequality between women and men? Or how can more women become fully empowered in themselves, in their womanhood?

I’ve often contemplated this, as it is a glaringly obvious truth – it seems that as a society and culture we resist placing equal value on the feminine because it would mean a virtual revolution, a radical change in society and culture, and therefore a radical change in our way of life. If and when we fully value the feminine, many other values will change – our entire world-view will change and completely new paradigms will emerge. Truly, it would bring about significant change in every aspect of society and culture, and it does not seem like the present model of consumerism could endure. I suspect it would be astonishing, for we certainly know that as we give equal value to the feminine and masculine within us it facilitates a radical change in our consciousness – an amazing shift to new psychic and spiritual horizons.

I suppose in the play of this world we have to accept that Nature slowly savors her development and evolution, and that generally speaking the greater progress is not exactly swift in coming. Yet, to the extent that we are Nature becoming conscious of herself, our own struggle for conscious evolution is essential and it is only right that we press forward to the farthest extent that we can, whether as an individual or as a collective – so as Sophians, in honor of Sophia, we push towards a full and true valuing of the feminine and look deeply into what that means, seeking to manifest that in our lives.

Admittedly, though, having the capacity to see the ideal in contrast to the actual, the slowness of the evolutionary process in the world can be frustrating and painful at times – it sure becomes an opportunity for the practice of non-attachment and non-aversion!

May we receive the Holy Sophia within ourselves and our world; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Kat

#8 Postby Kat » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 pm

Shalom,

A saying from the gospel of St. Mary Magdeline reminds me of what we are speaking about,

65. Mary's desciples asked her "how shall we worship God?" Mary said, "with laughter and tears, and all that you do, and with song and dance, and every way the Spirit inspires. Worship the Spirit with all you heart and your Soul, and your mind and your body, live in the Presance of yaweh always".

We must be willing to play with Spirit with all our talents and gifts, and not hold back because of the feeling of lack. The Spirit is dynamic in Nature and Essence, therefor we embrace Her with all of ourselves. In my experience talents and gifts given can be judged as of less importance, because other talents seem more desirable. Sometimes the Spirit inspires us through dance and song that help us to entertain and unfold Experience in a deep way.

Shalom,
Kat

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Varieties of Intelligences

#9 Postby Elder Gideon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:41 am

Shalom Kat and all Sisters in Sophia!

Tau Malachi was glowing recently, reflecting with me how seasoned our forum is becoming with such meaningful, grounded and insightful contributions from women from around the world! Please keep Her voice bright and strong, sisters!

I very much appreciate the wholeness of self to which the Shekinah calls us to offer. We are each intelligent and powerful in our own way. Literally! Regretably, how we're intelligent isn't always esteemed or marketable in the society surrounding us. I watch this as an educator all the time and am convinced that indeed, of the seven (or eight) primary intelligences proposed by neurological researcher Howard Gardner, the linear-mathematical is overly valued.

How many of us embrace emotional intelligence, physical or interpersonal intelligence? Does one who is intrapersonally intelligent (contemplative, reflective) feel important in any European or American culture? This is the trap in which far too many very young boys and girls find themselves, skewing their self-esteem, development and visualizations of their future. I can't separate such a painful eclipse from what Pistis Sophia experiences; as the archons rob Her light power, so also is the unique intelligence and gift so many possess stolen by a constant comparison with others.

Praise be Kallah! This is why we all need Her, for while Yeshua represents the vertical, She is the horizontal plane in which all are unique, valued and irreplaceable, as parts of a great body. The magnificent image of the Body of the Christos in 1 Corinthians 12 is among many where Sophia spoke through (the real?) St. Paul, adapted here by me:

I am called Living Gnosis.

I am the varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
and I am the varieties of services, but the same Lord;
and I am varieties of activities, but the same presence and power
who activates all of them in all holy peoples.
Each member is a manifestation of Myself for the common good. […]
For just as the body is one and has many members,
and all the members of the body,
though many, are one body, so it is with the Christos.
For in the one Spirit I baptize into one body
—Jews and Gentiles, women and men—
and make to all drink of one Spirit.
Indeed, I am not one member but many.

May Sophia be honored and adored by the varieties of gifts She gives to all her daughters and sons!

Brother Michael+

sophia-suzette

#10 Postby sophia-suzette » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:36 am

Greetings!

I do so agree with your sentiment. We have to take courage in our individual abilities, even though they may appear small in the greater scheme of things. If just one cell in our bodies decides not to honour its talent, but rather try to perform a more spectacular function, the whole suffers. I take pleasure in the myriad rainbow of colour, scents, tastes, sounds and touch that is living life. I have been given the gift of life, a flame so precious that where ever I find it I gasp in renewed awe for the miracle of it. That flame of life that resides in me, the now flickering, now dancing, now blazing flame that constitutes me, that flame burns equally in all things living. And where are the boundaries of my flame? Where are the boundaries of the living heat I emanate? To honour myself, and so the Divine Feminine, I must honour all.

"For whomever has not known himself, has known nothing, but whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things.”

I was first attracted to the Sophian Fellowship, when I read that it was the “Way of Wild Gnosis or Crazy Wisdom,” something I very much associate my own path with. I must admit that at first I was somewhat sceptical, that it would truly incorporate all, as Kali Imma embraces all. Far too often I have found myself, against boundaries in a group. It has been with great joy, that the more I explore this “Treasure Trove” of Wisdom, the more I have been amazed that here is a Fellowship that truly walks the Sophian way, as I understand it to be, and I am most grateful.

Shalom,
Sophia

Susan

Attachment and Aversion

#11 Postby Susan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:51 pm

Greetings to all!

This certainly has been an inspiring thread of discourse.

However, I have realised from my readings of the above posts that everytime I come across the concept of aspiring to detachment as a means of liberating oneself from discursive thought, my mind really has a mental hiccup with this concept. Especially regards the limits within which our thoughts and emotions are then deemed as being either thoughts of attachment or aversion. Is there some sort of "line of understanding" which delineates which sort of attachment and aversion is OK and which is not?

Please realise that I am a beginner to this area of study, so forgive the stumbling efforts at trying to grasp the totality of this deep subject!
And I would really appreciate hearing of others' understandings of this practice of non-attachment and non-aversion?

Particularly in terms of those feminine qualities that we have now recognised as being undervalued and in fact, in some cases, actively derided and supressed. I am thinking specifically of those qualities referred to by Lady Mirya in the quote given above when asked by her disciples how should they worship - she states "with your tears and laughter." In other words, with their very essence, their specific feminine qualities!

Women do laugh more than men and we all know they definitely cry more than men, so aren't these two emotionally-based actions simply reflecting attachment and aversion respectively? How to view this advice then in relation to the ideal of non-attachment and non-aversion? And don't we wish to see men liberated of their socially imposed burdens which preclude living their feminine qualities and include strong pressure to conform to the desirable male model of no crying and not too much girlie laughter please!

And do we not aim to cleave to the Risen Saviour and resist the influence and temptations of the demiurge and archons? So perhaps, within this discussion of non-attachment and non-aversion, the "topic" we are considering is the vital criteria here - or rather, the state from which we are living/being, namely within ie. our True Self/Christos, or without, ie. the superficial level of name and form.

This certainly is a fascinating topic of exploration in terms of the Divine Feminine - looking forward to growing in understanding with the help of your responses!

Blessings and shalom,

Susan

[/i]

sophia-suzette

#12 Postby sophia-suzette » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Greetings Susan!

I am so glad that you brought up this subject, for as women, emotions indeed plays an important part in our lives. I can only give you my personal opinion, what I have experienced on my spritual path as a woman so far. What I feel about this subject, is just my personal opinion, leading from my personal experience.

How I see it, is that non-attachment does not mean becoming non-emotional. Emotions are a very important part of our being. However, allowing our emotions to rule us unconsciously, brings about attachment that are pre-conditioned in our childhood experience, and according to epigenetics, even from previous generations. I see rather that we have to learn to experience our emotions in a conscious way.

No human being can truly claim to be free, unless emotional freedom has been achieved; by becoming emotionally literate, we can be free in any situation. Yet why will so few make the effort to become emotionally literate? One of the reasons for this, I believe, is because when people imagine what it is like to be emotionally literate, fluently so, they often think it means that you stop feeling things like anger, sorrow, doubt or pain. Deep down, however, we all know intuitively that to stop feeling those, you will also stop feeling the “feel-good” emotions. This brings a feeling of resistance to wanting to become emotionally literate. Somehow it feels as if you might be less human, and for a woman, less feminine.

This could not be further from the truth. In being emotionally literate, you do not stop feeling, in fact your ability to feel becomes sensitized and intense. You still feel all of the human emotions, but you just recover to equilibrium quicker. You still feel anger, pain, sorrow and doubt, but it doesn't rule you.

I taught myself 'emotional literacy' by watching myself react to external situations, and watching my thoughts. I observed how the two mutually affects the other. This means withdrawing to the watcher, or the Witness. To most people, thoughts and emotions are as involuntary as their heart rate and blood pressure. I feel that emotions are like being mounted on a powerful horse. For the rider and the horse to move as one towards a single purpose, both have to know the other, there has to be trust between them, an awareness of the qualities of the other.

When you are aware and in control of your emotions you can at times when it is appropriate just, let go, and ride it in wild abandon, for you trust yourself enough, trust in your skill, to know that when you have to, you can reign it in. With emotional literacy you can really enjoy your emotions, which enables you to enjoy the finer nuances of living, and enables you to truly live life. It is only when you are able to see your emotions, and where they originate from that you can distinguish between superficial reactionary emotions, and true intuition. Above all you can truly love, without fear.

To truly make a change you have to acknowledge every aspect of yourself, the good and the bad. If you just ignore the really despicable thoughts that may arise in your mind, suppress it as quickly as you can, without acknowledging it, and so bring it into the light, it will fester and erupt when you least expect. (I belief that, in the world at large, this is reflected in terrorism. ) What is inherent in one human being, is inherent in another, the good and the bad, therefore I will listen to everyone, even if I disagree totally with them. I never know when I might find a puzzle piece to myself, reflected back through the mirrors of my fellow human beings.

When you first start to observe your thoughts and emotions, they seem to take flight like a flock of birds. Where there were lots before, now there are none. Just as with the birds, if you wait quietly they will return.

Learning to discern between intuitive feelings and emotions are like learning to read. At first it appears as a confusing jumble, making no sense. But as you progress, certain words will become recognisable.So you progress until you have built enough of vocabulary and understanding of the grammar, suddenly it is so clear. It is hard to remember not ever having been able to read. As you expand your reading, so the finer nuances will also become clearer.

Some say that we have inherent in all of us, nine emotional states: apathy, grief, fear, lust, anger, pride, courageousness, acceptance and peace. I think of emotions as filters. Whatever emotion you are experiencing colours your experience of the present, and interpretation of the past and future perceptions. What it also does, is allow through, or restrict energy flow. For example, when you are apathetic you have a low energy flow. When you feel passionate, you have a high-energy flow.

For me, emotions are also messengers of your current state of being, they arrive to bring you a well-being report. What we see as negative emotions, are much like pop-up messages saying something needs or wants attention. However, much like pop-up messengers, you cannot just ignore it, you have to do something about it. It is not always appropriate in timing to deal with emotions when you feel them. Then you have to deal with them as a mother would deal with a child seeking immediate attention when it is not appropriate. With the tenderness of a loving mother, “hug” them and say, “I hear and acknowledge you, but right now is not appropriate, later...” But just as you better keep your promises to a child, lest they become insecure and distrustful, so you better keep your promises and do tend to the request for attention.

Our ancient desires have been looked on as primitive by the sophisticated mind of the present day, rejected as the "black sheep" of ourselves. Just like the Western colonizing forces rejected the "primitiveness " of those they conquered so we have been taught that our ancient and inherent desires, are an inferior something that must be conquered and subjugated for us to be worthy citizens of the world. We can disown that instinctive and intuitive part of ourselves at our own peril, for just as you would feel guilt and unease at disowning members of your family so you will feel about disowning a part of yourself. Never knowing when it will suddenly and unexpectedly make its embarrassing appearance. It is my belief that if we do not honour all that we are, we then do not allow the transforming power of love to transform our ancient and inherited desires into something of beauty, something noble.

Shalom,
Sophia

Kat

#13 Postby Kat » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Shalom Susan and Sophia,

The part of the saying about laughing and crying cauht my attention also. In Sophian way all is included in worship and intimacy with the divine the body, emotions, mind and soul. I am reminded that in the way of tranformation we can recognise the tehe energy behind something and therefor can uplift it. Such as desire, desire for am object can be somewhat limited compared to the desire for the divine which is a Big desire.

I appreciate this idea of being emtionally literate, understanding the movement and currents of energy behind the emotions. Thoughts and emotions are energy if one becomes aquainted with the silent witness practice. Every level of Being has an intellegence, thereforbecoming fimiliar with these levels can be benificial.

The idea of talents I was going for is that being a feeling intuative person I tend not to imbrace this form of intellegence. In talking to other women I find this is common, as linear thinking is the intellegence that is admired and cellabrated in this culture. For me this is part of healing the faminine, being inclusive of other forms of intellegence.

shalom,
Kat

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Honesty with the Mother

#14 Postby Elder Gideon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Shalom Sisters!

Firstly, I thank you Susan for bringing these lofty contemplations of Sophia 'down' into our bodies and today with such a great question! Praise be Lady Sophia of the horizontal arm of the cross! Always, She's bringing the transcendental home. :lol:

Secondly, your response Sophia exploring emotional literacy is so practical and sane, that I feel this conversation will be of great applicable value to many (and there ARE many reading all of these posts) feeling the same question.

With regard to how to discern presentness from attachment/aversion in our feelings and emotions, I can't help but contribute what Tau Malachi has been discoursing the last few Shabbats.

Quite regularly, because this cannot be overemphasized, Malachi is constantly challenging what is perhaps a patriarchal notion of a fixed, static, constant state of enlightenment or gnosis. This became stereotyped in the West by the charade of a constantly meek and mild guru, hovering above their sitting cushion, in an appearance of peace profound day and night. While Malachi has met such a luminous master (Sufi, as I recall) in his journey who was authentically gentle and reposed, he observes many more masters who could be wild, unpredictable, passionate and even 'immoral' by religious standards. What is common to all of these master to whom Malachi was introduced by his teacher, Tau Elijah, was the profound presence of awareness palpable in each; above all, every one of them was unforgettably unique and individual, far beyond saintliness and sinner.

This has everything to do with our conversation at present, does it not? Aren't we really asking, as I'm asking myself all the time, who or what is being most myself? Will the real me please step up? :lol: Inevitably, we will come to very confusing and bewildering forks in the road of our spiritual path. Who is the one who will choose? Will it be my personal history and habit patterns of my name-form? Or will it be the Light Indweller? Are any questions of this kind contradicting the enlightment experience?

And what IS this Light Indweller anyway? I often contemplate this while walking about outside. There is sun, shining from above, my body going about its day and its shadow. The saint, often feels like the doer, namely my fixed name-form, wanting credit when life goes well and blaming my shadow when it doesn't. However, both saint and sinner are bound to each other! If it's saintly, then by mutual definition, it's already followed by a shadow--the sinner. This is duality. The saint is attached and the sinner is averse; neither are capable of transforming the experience. No, Saint and Sinner both are constructs and concepts of religion and mental being, which must be transcended by a third, mediating point above, in the middle, namely the Light Indweller, the Sun.

This Sun, in this image, is the glory of our uniqueness as a creature and word of the Mother Goddess. Our uniqueness is experienced as the Light Indweller, who/which is transcendent entirely of attachment and aversion. Somehow, honesty--real and profound honesty with life, oneself and with the Mother draws out HOW we're uniquely powerful, HOW we're uniquely intelligent and HOW we're uniquely unique as Her Child!

To ground then, how the Light Indweller is accessed in difficult and confusing times, requires the habit of the silent witness practice. This silent witness is entirely as non-judgmental as it is honest. As we practice the gap this silent witness affords, we recognize the opportunity to honestly witness what emotions and desires are arising in the mind without confounding judgments and the saint and sinner boxing in our head. Only from this non-judgmental silence, is the presence of awareness heard and felt.

I can be aware of rage while it is storming in my mind; I can be aware of wanting sexual contact while it is burning in my mind; I can be aware of jealousy, of inadequacy, of powerlessness, etc. all as they arise in my mind. Aware! Here is honesty and here is how we transform attachment and aversion. The honesty of silently witnessing and being aware in all states throughout the day (and even in dream!), guides us into enacting our honesty, which in turn draws upon our transformative uniqueness as a light bearer.

In Sophian tradition, this Presence of Awareness is literally our only code of conduct, answering every internal question.

How is such a code so much like the way of Daughter Sophia? I'm intrigued to see how this thread on the Presence of Awareness interacts with the your experiences of the Divine and Sacred Feminine.

:wink:

Our greatest gratitude to You, Holy Mother, is that we became ourselves.

Brother Michael +

sophia-suzette

#15 Postby sophia-suzette » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:26 am

Greetings Brother Michael!

I thank you for your insights. You ask how this thread on Awareness interacts with my experiences of the Divine and Sacred Feminine. Your insights on awareness have an inflowing interaction with my existing experience. Including the mass of associations and images that I have accumulated so far, as to what constitutes my reality, through my personal experience. Your inflowing insights stimulates a creative imaginative response in me. The Feminine reaches out to form a relation with the new information, thus integrate it into myself.

You bring into my awareness another perspective of awareness. I have never before associated awareness with honesty. Yet, in my now awareness of the association of honesty with awareness, a new dimension to my awareness opens. I ask myself what honesty means to me. It means to me, either to reveal what was hidden, or to look at something as it is, without using the filters of my insecurities to clothe it in such a way that will make me feel secure, unexposed, and thus limit my understanding of my experience. Something revealed in the brightness of the Light Indweller, from the witness perspective, reveals a multi-layered, kaleidoscopic present; a time-bound portion which is attempting to expand into the vast timeless unknown, the Feminine Divine.

When I look at awareness from this perspective, awareness becomes in itself for me a sacred marriage between the unknown and what is, which changes my present self and gives birth to a new perception of myself. Thus experiencing the Sacred Feminine, which is never static, but always evolving, becoming.

I started out in life with a deep hunger, a hunger that reflects my uniqueness and encapsulates my intent to know myself in relation with the known and the unknown. The hunger becomes the 'intent' because it directs the awareness (the focus) as well as the activity. Focus brings into awareness what you choose to experience. This automatically makes your awareness selective, to fulfill the intent. Since I am a woman, what was drawn into my awareness included the experience of the Feminine – The Sacred Feminine; I/Woman becoming/being, and the Divine Feminine, my potential of the Feminine.

I see my hunger/my intent in itself as if I approach the oracle of the Feminine Divine. The enigmatic answer is given in my life experience. The enigmatic situations triggers in me unused creative potential. I see both divination (getting in touch with the divus inside) and meditation as psychological techniques for transcending disunity, for constructing and maintaining an undivided self. Meditation techniques require the initial surrender of the will to an intuitive perception of the inflow of something greater. The inflow is absorbed to accommodate my new perceptions.

Divination techniques require the out flow of my will to embrace the something greater. The desire is externalized by an act of will and the external world responds. Intuitively, I feel a desire rise inside me, and I become aware that there are options available to my will to act upon, or just to experience the desire. Either way, it will change my perception of my desire, through the focus of my awareness. Both meditative awareness and divinatory awareness, requires my active intellectual involvement, and both lead to a greater awareness of my internal and external worlds, and their known and unknown aspects.

I use both methods of awareness, to help me in discovering my higher intent.

Grateful Thanks,
Sophia

Renee

#16 Postby Renee » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:50 am

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phillip

#17 Postby Phillip » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:45 pm

Shalom Renee!

Regular meditation practice and emersion in the spiritual life will naturally and spontaenously generate a presence of awareness that will flow over into dream life. Writing a journal of one's dreams every morning can also be beneficial in generating this presence of awareness in dream.

Shalom!

p

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

We ARE life happening

#18 Postby Elder Gideon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:00 pm

Greetings Sisters!

Your question Renee is so clear and honest. Thank you!

Awareness in dreaming life is the cultivation of awareness generated in waking life. In waking life, consciousness is experienced with a dense body; in dreaming life, our same consciousness is experienced with a subtler body. Surprisingly, many wisdom traditions founded upon meditation even affirm that sleep and dreaming are but a fraction of the power of the afterlife experience! :shock: At the risk of oversimplifying this principle, imagine a hyper-intense dream from which there is no waking. This is our afterlife experience.

How we live flows from our thoughts, which flow from conditioned or karmic responses. The consciousness or awareness with which we live and respond in waking life will clearly be reflected in dreaming life; meditation masters propose that this same awareness, cultivated in meditation, will meet us in the afterlife as well. For this reason precisely, a healthy, auspicious incarnation where conditions are present to hear and apply any spiritual technologies of consciousness are precious beyond anything of this world. In short, Renee, dreams in my experience are stablized only after a penetrating habit of meditation practice.

How this may extend our dialogue on enlightened womanhood and humanity has everything to do with an esoteric principle of the Bride. She, the Sophia, is the radiant display of the Logos. Misconceiving how consciousness co-arises, too often we literally believe that life is happening TO us--hard work days, crying kids, and late fees. The source of our suffering is put outside of us, like Adam blaming Eve for the shame and nakedness in the Garden. In this orientation, how do we ever grow up as actualized men and women? In this attitude, how will fundamentalism ever be balanced by intelligent, open-eyed faith? Tau Malachi once shared being told by his teacher, Tau Elijah, that "Life does not happen to us. We ARE life happening."

We ARE Life Happening. Hear this! Is this not Sophia as Eve AND Lillith? Hashem is ever in union with the Shekinah, ever One. Desiring the Beloved in our experience of united consciousness, She is bright and abundant. Desiring another in our experience of divided or adulterated consciousness, She is dark and difficult. The Apocalypse of St. John couldn't be more explicit, if one feels the simultaneity of the vision of the Woman of Light and New Jerusalem and the Whore and Rome(Babylon). Who but the human community decides this? Who but us, each and every one, day to day, hour to hour, encounter to encounter, chooses and authors our own experience?

As below, so above. As above, so below. Waking life is dreaming and afterlife. One Sophia, a radiant display of every individual and collective consciousness.

We are life happening!
We are the interpretation of our own dream!
May we walk lucidly and awaken in the dream!

Blessings and Shalom!

Brother Michael +

Renee

#19 Postby Renee » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:01 am

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kat

#20 Postby Kat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:22 am

Shalom Renee,

I think it is not unusual to have a "relationship" the Bride and that she is birthing something in you. If you are a huge Bride fan like I am you will se the Bride in many forms, playing with ideas or concepts you have of her. She is not static but diverce in nature.

Anyway, this is my experience of Her. I am glad that your dreams are shifting. This shift is commmon for those becoming more intimate with thier Soul.

Shalom,
Kat

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Father Magdalene

#21 Postby Elder Gideon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Shalom Renee!

:lol:

I love the so-called oddity of your dream of Lady Mary fathering your child! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Consider this dream in light of the final saying from the Gospel of Thomas:

114) Simon Peter said to them, "Let Mary leave us, for women are not worthy of the life." Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every woman who makes herself male will enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

:lol:

You, my dear, are experiencing a very sublime mystery of the Bride's blessing in dream time! What do you suppose this Magdalene impregnating means for you, Renee? What is any woman making herself male? Is it imitating a man in the corporate world and all the heart disease that comes with it or something much more subtle? :wink:

Brother Michael+

Renee

#22 Postby Renee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:51 pm

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelMagdalene

Androgeny

#23 Postby MichaelMagdalene » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:20 am

Don't forget all the aeons are also androgenous. Also, in the gnostic creation myth, Ialdabaoth rips the androgenous man into man and woman.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Initiatrix

#24 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Greetings Renee and Michael Magdalene:

I believe the insights of both of your posts dance around a beautiful insight. Indeed, within us is a male and a female aspect. It is critical that we hear such terms in spiritual teachings as analogies and qualities, rather than limiting them to our body's plumbing. :lol:

Speaking very generally in Kabbalistic terms, the 'Male' initiates from transcendence willing to impart. 'Female' gestates and manifests by immanence willing to receive. United in harmony (Christos), 'they' are the dynamism of the reality display, as inseparable from each other as the space (Sophia) is inseparable from the sounds, thoughts, and appearances (Logos) arising within itself.

We see the 'male' and 'female' dance in the Tree of Life in three simple examples. Firstly, our experience of the Beloved in the Tree of Life is found in the middle of three pillars, between the electrical dynamism of the 'positively charged' Pillar of Mercy (male) and the 'negatively charged' Pillar of Severity (Female). Secondly, the sephirot are 'female' when receiving from other sephirot 'above' and become 'male' when imparting to sephirot 'below'. Likewise, olamot-universes function similarly: this physical plane of action-asiyah is all receiving, making the male principle 'here' active-imparting. However, 'above' in the astral plane of yetzirah-formation, the male receives from the female. This male-female polarity reverse all the way to 'up' the universes within-behind-above this one. Here, Kabbalah and Eastern Tantras seem to describe the same metaphysical patterns encompassing our experience of this reality.

What then is 'the female becoming male' has many, many qualities, which you're clearly intuiting! Our Lady is indeed male to all practitioners who invoke Her, for She is initiatrix! Where this is found in scripture, from a Sophian perspective, is any movement of the Holy Spirit, who is Shekinah, Sophia, the radiant display of Our Lady! To Her we are ALL receptive, we are ALL grails, regardless of the sex of our body. When we hail Her as Apostle of Apostles, we mean Birther-Begetter of all Apostles of Light. In Her is our conception, gestation and birthing as children of Light, all from one Sophia.

Tau Malachi made it very clear to me after an intimate movement of the Holy Spirit, that "She reveals Herself to those whom She chooses!" Clearly you've been chosen, Renee!

Hallukallah! Arise, all you daughters of Zion! The Gnostic and Light Transmission is superior through you!

Brother Michael+

Phillip

#25 Postby Phillip » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:51 pm

Shalom Brother Michael+ and All!

I'm glad the discussion worked it's way around to this point, because I think it is the core concept in the discussion of an equality of women in the modern world.

We tend to think of "men" and "women" as more than 'plumbing' as you describe it, Michael, we think of them as roles in culture and society, we think of them as attitudes, acceptable persona within socialization, and so on, which isn't necessarily what is means to be a "woman" or a "man." It is also in error to say that such things are completely arbitrary, for many scientists are linking much of human behavior and development of human behavior to the existence and quantity of testosterone and estrogin in the human body during it's developmental stages. However, these same studies have shown that male and females bodies will not so clearly develop in pre-defined "masculine" ways or pre-defined "feminine" ways. So even the human body, though facilitating certain attitudes through certain chemical reactions, is much more a play between masculine and feminine in it's development.

So, all this is to say that I believe that empowerment of the feminine in modern culture doesn't have to do with women taking up more traditionally masculine roles exclusively, but has to do with both men and women generating a capacity to become more fluid in self-concept, in "gender" roles, in attitudes, persona and so on, portraying and revealing these multiple metaphysical realities that exist within us. In order to discover gender equality in a true sense, we must both discover and reaveal the Genandrous one within us.

Shalom!

Renee

#26 Postby Renee » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:04 pm

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Demiurge

#27 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 am

Greetings everyone!

Any time we speak of what the "demiurge has done" from a Sophian Gnostic perspective it is important to remember what the demiurge personifies - cosmic ignorance or dualism in consciousness. Thus, if Gnostic scriptures speak of the demiurge dividing Adam and Eve, the division is the product of the dualism in consciousness. Of course, this is a natural phenomenon of arising from unconscious primordial unity in the process of individuation - there is really no beginning to this ignorance, though the way to bring it to an end has been revealed.

Because we identify so strongly with name and form, and personal history, we become quite divided as men and women, and we struggle with ourselves and one another. Yet, inwardly, the masculine and feminine is within each and every one of us, and in our supernal soul we are the Human One of Light, beyond the limitation of gender associations. If we seek the coequality of women and men, then first and foremost we must realize ourselves as the Human One of Light, and then view ourselves as a woman or a man in the incarnate state. First we must be the Human Being of Light, then a woman or a man. In so doing we go within and live within, taking this issue up from the inside, instead of the outside. This is empowerment for women and men alike, and in this way we are no longer bound to the surface consciousness, but rather learn to live centered in Gnostic Being (Enlightened Being).

What a delightful contemplation you have going here!

May we all be blessed to be pregnant with Gnostic Being, the Christ; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sophia-suzette

#28 Postby sophia-suzette » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Salutations Tau Malachi

When I first became aware of my spiritual hunger, it was first as a human being, and it was as a human being that I became aware of my desire to remember the Human Being of Light. Then however, as a woman, I had to first discover what it is to be woman, both the inner and outer aspects, before I truly found the Feminine Divine. It was only then that I felt my feminine-self - as an integration of, "to think "(know intellectually) - equal to the masculine.

In a woman there seems to be a natural (or perhaps karmic) desire to surrender to the masculine, to align with the vision of the masculine. In doing this before I was fully developed as a woman; knowing the Feminine Divine, and before as a woman I have developed my own vision, in my experience can lead to the process of individuation in a woman to become stunted, before its full flowering. For me it was the Trickster that awakened me to realize that I was not yet complete in the full flowering of my womanhood, and that I had not yet discovered my personal vision.

It was only after I felt myself to truly know the Feminine that I could once again turn to the Human Being of Light, and integrate the masculine side of me, without feeling that it overwhelmed the Feminine. It was only then that I felt in the whole of my being, that the Feminine stands with equal purpose next to the Masculine. I would appreciate and be grateful for any feedback on this experience of mine as regard to the process in the development of the Human Being of Light.

Blessings and Shalom,
Sophia

Leslie Kaneel

Noimage

#29 Postby Leslie Kaneel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:57 am

Shalom,

I may be like a 'stick in the mud' for this discussion, but, I totally agree with Malachi, in that, cutting through all this mess of material identity to find the "Human One of Light" is the most direct, True, and accomplished way to Freedom.

In Noimage,
Leslie.

sophia-suzette

#30 Postby sophia-suzette » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:45 am

Shalom Leslie

I am new to Gnosticism. As I feel myself to be only in the beginning to my spiritual development, I am open to suggestion. I am trying to establish whether my experiences as a woman is unique to me as an individual in my process of individuation, or whether others relate to it, and can offer me insights into my experiences.

As a human being in a female form, I have had experiences that are uniquely feminine. I do not want to overcome it, I want to transcend it. I see it much like how a total focus and awareness of a single element can bring you awareness of the whole, of the oneness of all.

Thank you,
Sophia

Kat

#31 Postby Kat » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:14 am

Shalom Sophia Suzette,

I think what you say is true for most Women. Truelly being onselves means valueing ourselves and our talents in a patriacle society. This healing can take place through intamacy with the Divine Femanine. As Malachi says, we must learn to indentify Gnosis or inlightened Being. We can have funny ideas about who and what we. Through Being without attachment and aversion, we are truelly oureselves. A value system that nurtures Divine being means going within and seaking to know ourselves most intimately.

Shalom,
Kat

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Skillful Means

#32 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:44 am

Greetings Sophia and Leslie!

It seems to me that it is all a matter of the skillful means that allows us to dispel karmic vision and enter into the vision of experience (recognition) which leads to pure vision (realization); the “right method” to use depends upon our version of karmic vision and in that we all have different versions of karmic vision the methods we utilize with success will necessarily be different.

Perhaps we are speaking of two distinct stages in the process of self-realization and empowerment – generation and fruition.

At the outset, the Human One of Light could very well be nothing more than a concept in the mind, and it may well be best to approach the path as a woman or a man, cultivating our womanhood or manhood according to the noble ideal of our Lady or our Lord; this reflects teachings on divine pride or spiritual-self worth and transforms our karmic vision into a vehicle of the Way. Indeed, this is why the Incarnation in masculine and feminine form so important, because each of us, according to our karmic vision, needs an image of Divine Illumination that corresponds to our self-identification as a man or woman. Thus, perhaps in the generation stage of the path, as a matter of skillful means, we may need to ground ourselves in the experience of being a woman or a man, and cultivate our womanhood or manhood before we can recognize and realize the Human One of Light; yet, in the transition into the fruition stage, this is reversed, because apart from the recognition and realization of the Human One of Light, as a woman or a man we are a partial being, as though incomplete.

Here we are speaking of the true mystery of hieros gamos, the sacred marriage, quite distinct from the literalism of an external relationship – it is a union of the feminine and masculine within oneself, and the union of Sophia and Logos in oneself, which leads to union with the Divine: We are the bridal chamber and the image of the Human One of Light shines forth when we abide in union.

We can speak of the noble ideal, saying “first and foremost” we must recognize and realize the Human One of Light, and then embody the Human One as a woman or a man in the incarnate state; yet, our actual process of unfolding this Self-realization may well be different than the ideal as it is stated – the ideal and the actual are frequently different in this world, and we must do whatever it takes, modifying the actual application until the ideal is realized and embodied. If in the midst of union I find that I am overwhelmed or fall unconscious, then quite naturally I must strengthen my individuality so that I’m not overwhelmed but remain fully conscious as an individual in union with the universal.

In Sophian teachings we often speak in terms of the ideal, generally, because in a similar fashion to Tantric traditions of the East, such as Vajrayana, we take the Goal as the Path, teaching the way of the “Thunderbolt Enlightenment”; yet, in actual application, working with individuals, we teach the use of skillful means so that the methods utilized match the karmic vision of the individual – hence, the right medicine for the corresponding dis-ease. It’s really all a question of whatever works for each individual in the Self-realization process.

May we be blessed to recognize and realize the Human One of Light and bring the divine revelation to its fruition in us; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sophia-suzette

#33 Postby sophia-suzette » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:11 am

Shalom Tau Malachi!

I am most grateful for your insights. The Hieros Gamos is what I strive for, and all my personal practices so far, have been to facilitate this in myself. So far for me, there has always been another layer to uncover, deeper to go, until I was not only faced with my personal integration but of that of generations before me. I wondered then myself where actualy does my individual self end, for my personal development does not only involve me, but also that of all. I could then see the the awesome responsibility we have as individuals to develop ourselves to our full potential. If I fail or give up, I fail not only myself but how many other generations?

So far my path has been one of trail and error to get to where I am now, so I would like to develop the Skilful means. Where do I begin?

Gratefully,
Sophia

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Going Beyond

#34 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Salutations Sophia-Suzette!

Yes, indeed, in that the self is the appearance of a continuum of being – more akin to a stream of being-consciousness than a fixed or static entity, and is the expression of a holy spark of the Infinite and Eternal, the process of self-realization truly has no end; it is a journey into the endless depths of being in the play of ever-becoming, or so I have found.

I must wholeheartedly agree with your observation of the Great Work – it is a “work on oneself” and in one’s own life, seeking to embody the Truth and Light revealed in one’s own experience; this is the empowerment to extend blessings and grace to others, and is of true benefit to all. As a Lakota shaman once said to me, our journey is about becoming “comfortable in our own skin”; hence, being who and what we are as human beings.

In this sense, my dear sister, it seems to me that you already have a good beginning and, no doubt, more than a beginning; and in what you have shared I believe that there is a direction given to you from within yourself. I would suggest following your inclination to pursue practices associated with the Holy Bride, St. Mary Magdalene; coupled with this, if you are inclined, I’d also suggest picking up the practice of Primordial Meditation and Giving and Receiving, which are provided on our website. (By this I do not mean taking up all of this at once, but rather taking one up at a time, then integrating others in a gradual way – if you are inclined to do so.)

I’m about to begin a new book, “Gnosis of Mary Magdalene,” which will outline practices of the Order of St. Mary Magdalene in our lineage – it is both for members of Ecclesia Pistis Sophia and eventual publication. As I take up this project more practices of St. Mary Magdalene will be recorded and some of them I plan to have put on our website; so in the near future there should be many more practices listed, beyond those that appear on our website and in our book on Magdalene, St. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Tradition of the Holy Bride. Essentially, the Order of St. Mary Magdalene is a path of self-initiation in our lineage, though at times lineage-holders share a blessing-empowerment with practitioners called “taking a person under the Mantle of the Bride.” It is really all about cultivating one’s own relationship with our Lady in Red, the Anointed Bride (Kallah Messiah).

I believe you are already in contact with one of our lineage-holders and priests, Brother Michael+. If you were to ask him, I’m sure he would be glad to take up a mentoring process with you through some of our basic Sophian studies, along with your ongoing discussions of the creative process with him. Of course, in these forums we can also have discussions of points of Sophian teachings and practices, as we already are at present.

The first basic study of Sophian Gnosticism used in our online mentoring program is based on our book, Living Gnosis – so that’s always a good place to start for someone new to our tradition. I believe you would especially enjoy the teachings on “Perfect Success” in connection to the creative process, along with what is said of the Divine and Sacred Feminine.

If I have listened and heard you correctly, basically I’m merely encouraging you in the direction you are already going…it certainly seems to be working just fine for you.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

sophia-suzette

#35 Postby sophia-suzette » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:35 am

Shalom Tau Malachi!

Your generous sharing is much appreciated. I do look forward to reading your books. I have already been much inspired by what I have found here, and the generosity of Brother Michael and Brother Christopher in so willingly share their time and knowledge. Brother Christopher have suggested that I look at the Partzuf Meditations, and I have found great resonance with them. I have already started to practice the Kabbalistic Cross and The Primordial Meditation, as they seem to be at the basis of so many other, and they are so similar to what I have already been practising. I have felt myself drawn to the "The Living Jeshua".

In a vaque way I can feel the potential of the Risen Christ in all of us, and when I feel that, I feel myself very much to be only in the very beginning. I know that even the awesome potential I can feel is but a horizon in my perception, and what lies beyond that horizon, is at present beyond all that I can imagine. I thank you for your encouragement.

Shalom,
Sophia

alx

greetings from Santa Cruz

#36 Postby alx » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:15 pm

hello, Tau and brothers and sisters --

I've been reading these posts and following with great interest the subject of the divine feminine.

when I lived in India and studied these matters in depth, I was puzzled (as a woman) about why there are so few female saints in the histories and so many many many men. in India, there is a tradition of top women saints; amazing characters who can command Nature and show miracles the same way that Jesus did -- but it's a secret tradition and very few women, historically, have attained this state.

(Lalla Yogeshwari comes to mind as one shining example of this capacity, also Sarada Ma, Bhairavi Brahmini (also called Yogeshwari), and Mirabai. Rabia, the great Muslim woman saint, was another such, and St. Theresa of Avila, the medieval Christian saint, another.)

the matter of why so few women, though, finally became clear to me -- it's absolutely true that women gain spiritual energy 10 times faster than men do. (it has to do with the womb chakra, a direct conduit to the cosmic.) if a woman meditates 10 hours and a man meditates 100 hours, it's roughly the same charge to the soul. but women lose energy through menses -- every month we're decharging a lot of the cosmic energy we've received through spiritual work -- it's hard to keep the energy and keep developing and building it.

the women saints who've become top healers and miracle demonstrators, like Magdala, know how to balance the womb chakra so that they don't lose this energy. it's a special knowledge that's coming back in the world, today, after 2000 years of being kept more or less underground.

it's ironic that Jesus was an expert in helping create amazing women saints, and this part of his legacy was the first to disappear in early Christian circles.

about the immaculate conception -- along my travels in the East, I met an incredible woman saint, a divine soul, who had a similar experience. she created and gave birth to a baby daughter without having had sexual union with her husband (or, indeed, with any human male). she didn't say too much about the underlying mechanism, except that there is a way that the soul can connect with the cosmic divine energy to make such a link.

(what I've learned from my own studies is that not only is this link a possibility, but a child created in such a way can enter the world utterly free from karma -- can come into the world as an avatara, as a divine soul, already enlightened, ready to do divine work.)

I have a feeling we'll see more of this kind of miraculous births, in this world, in the near future. more and more women are waking up to their divine birthright, to succeed in spiritual practice and life, and more and more the divine will reveal Its own mechanisms, again, with the help and grace of Jesus and other saints operating in the world today.

in love,

Alx

Susan

Feminine Energies

#37 Postby Susan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 pm

Greetings and welcome Alx!

Interesting point you have raised regards increasing spiritual energy and a woman's menstrual cycle. I had never thought about this relationship before however, when we consider the evidence from our own lives and that of other women we know, the pattern is very well supported by the evidence!

For example, look how many women experience a newly discovered sense of the divine, or at least an unusual spiritual drive pushing them into otherwise unexplored realms of esoteric inquiry, once they reach menopause. I can speak from personal experience here and can now certainly understand the full implications of the term "change of life" -and boy, is it a change for the better.

I think the whole question of a woman's bodily rhythms/cycles, as with the cycles/rhythms of the cosmos, makes for fascinating study; it is truly an area of awe-inspiring learning and, of course, with so much yet to be discovered!

Shalom and Blessings,

Sue

sophia-suzette

#38 Postby sophia-suzette » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:27 am

Greetings Alx and Susan!

Interesting contemplations. It is well known that the menstruation and menopause both relate to Kali Imma. I wonder however, whether the “loss of energy” during the cycle does not rather respond to karmic vision of menstruation rather than to a loss itself because of it. Women were exiled during the phase, considered unclean, which relates to me to the exile of Feminine Divine itself. How often is not menstruation spoken of as “the curse” ? Interesting that our word “blessing” comes from the Old English “bloedson”, or “bleeding” There are many that say we have forgotten the spiritual significance of the menstrual cycle and need to reconnect in order to empower ourselves. The Pythoness of Delphi, she who had to sit on tripod of prophesy, it was said always were women who had reached menopause. It is said that the power of Gaia would have been too strong for younger women, but it seems that, that was also a practice that only came into being under the Patriarchal rule, and perhaps in earlier times women in their menses could also have been able to occupy the seat..

It is also known that during menses women are more psychic, and have a greater inner creative flow. This would correspond to a women's energetic flow, which is no longer turned outward toward union with the other, but rather it is turned inward. It is also said during the menstrual time the power of a woman's erotic sexuality can be used for transformation, renewal, divination, healing, etc, rather than procreation. During the menstrual time a woman is turned inward, and she can most easily access the workings of her inner life and powers of the psyche. It is also said that the priestesses in Hera's colleges were sensitive to their time of greatest psychic openness, and could enter into translike states, looking deep within their bodies. The heavy, sleeplike qualities of the menstrual time help a woman to reach deep meditative states.

There are so many ancient rituals that women have forgotten to use during this “Dark Phase”, that are powerful for our spiritual growth. I have just touched on a few. It seems to me that our decline and exile, also directly relates with our forgetting of the “blessings” of our menses.

Blessings and Shalom,
Sophia

Kat

#39 Postby Kat » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:04 am

Sophia Suzette,

I think a lot can be said about forgetting the wisdom of the cycles. In the Sophian tradition many mysteries lie in the cycles of the moon and the cycles of a womens menses. There are 13 cycles of the moon in a year and the 13nth aoen is talked about in Pistos Sophia. If we are talking about energy in relationship to cycles of the moon, new moon is a time for planting seeds, full moon is a time for bringing seeds to fruit and consecration, and the waining moon is a time for tranformation. A simular idea can be used in looking at a womens cycle, the three days before her menses is considered a time when a women is most in her power, which can be assosiated with the full moon of her cycle and the menses part of her cycle is a time for transformation and creativity. Therefore a menstrual cycle can be used for impowerment if we understand what energy is moving with and through us.

In remembering the Human One of Light we, of both genders, develope a heart womb. Therefor our physical womb is only a limited expression of our true potencial. What we actualize through our heart womb is a reflection of who we most truelly are.

Shalom and Blessings,
Kat

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

No More Leaking

#40 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Greetings everyone!

I cannot say that in my experience as I’ve worked with women and men over the years that I’ve seen any difference as far as how long a woman versus a man needs to meditate to make progress – the only distinctions I’ve found with regards to progress in the Self-realization process have been those of karmic vision, whether with women or men. Of course, it may be said that our incarnation as women or men is a manifestation of karmic vision, and with it comes certain innate versions of karmic vision, as we see with views concerning women and men; but the greatest obstructions that I’ve seen are those of the individual, not so much those of the collective – in this women and men struggle just the same, only the version of karmic vision is unique to the individual, and being a woman or man is part of an individual’s karmic continuum as it manifests here.

It seems to me that anything we can name can be an obstruction to enlightenment or a vehicle for enlightenment; at least that is the Sophian view and is what my experience in the mystical journey has taught me. In the circle of Tau Elijah and Mother Sarah there were several women initiates with a very powerful ground realization, and Mother Sarah herself was considered a master of the tradition, serving as the feminine balance to Elijah in circle. The view Mother Sarah taught was that all aspects of womanhood could be transformed into vehicles of empowerment and enlightenment, just as with all aspects of manhood. In speaking of the moon cycle, in her teachings, the difficulty was a female initiate’s relationship with her body and cycle, attitudes and views she might hold due to the programs of patriarchal religion and culture, and her own version of karmic vision; she often spoke to younger woman of a “loss of energy and vitality” because of the lack of integration of this natural movement to their spiritual life and practice, as though somehow it could not be “spiritual.”

Rather than a separation because of being “unclean,” as imposed by patriarchal religion, Sarah spoke of the moon cycle as a time of spiritual retreat and introspection, a time of prophecy and intensive spiritual work – a sanctuary of a priestess. She taught women to go within during their moon cycle to seek inner guidance and direction in their own lives, as well as for the sake of the spiritual continuum of the sacred circle, and specially taught women to do works of invisible assistance through more intensive spiritual practice during their cycle. In the case of women who might experience more extreme suffering surrounding their moon cycle, she instructed them to use their suffering as a talisman of the sorrow and suffering in the world along the lines of what we see in Giving and Receiving Practice (listed in the practice section of our website).

Quite naturally, if there is an aspect of ourselves or our lives that we are inclined to reject or would rather avoid, there can be a leaking of energy, as it were, just as with the unconscious arising of desire-energy that is not directed through the presence of awareness. Thus, if and when Sarah might speak of a loss of energy and vitality during the moon cycle it was in this context, not as though women in their natural state would experience a loss of physical, psychic and spiritual energy because of menstruation; in fact, in her view menstruation was the result of a radical influx of energy and the task for women Sophian initiates was to consciously direct that energy through prayer, meditation and sacred ritual – she spoke of it as a source of *blessing*, rather than “the curse.”

During their moon cycle Mother Sarah taught women initiates to focus on practices associated with the Divine and Sacred Feminine, and to set aside practices with the Divine and Sacred Masculine during that time, with the exception of essential heart practices that might be significant in the continuum of some women initiates. Women who were going through menopause or post-menopause she taught to use the full moon in a similar way, with the exception of times the larger circle of initiates was involved in specific group theurgic work that required their presence and attention. Essentially, she taught all women of the circle to act as priestesses in this way, whether or not they had a call to an outward recognition and ordination as a Sophian Elder and Priestess; she taught them divine pride or spiritual self-worth as women initiates.

The continuum she taught women initiates to tend is part of the teachings of the Order of St. Mary Magdalene in the Sophian lineage (directly parallel to the Order of St. Michael) – though an order in which there are both women and men in modern times, naturally there are some practices specifically for women, such as the honoring of the moon cycle as a daughter of the Divine Mother.

This is a dimension of the greater continuum that is cultivated by women in a Sophian circle, as rather than a set of prayers, meditations and rituals performed by rote, it is a dynamic and creative movement celebrating feminine mysteries and invoking the Divine and Sacred Feminine Power into the greater continuum of the sacred circle – drawing upon and adapting practices associated with the Shrine of the Holy Mother and Order of St. Mary Magdalene, and creating sacred rituals of Sophia as Wisdom Goddess and Savioress, they generate this movement, a movement that is innate to them as women.

Here, perhaps, we might point out a specific practice using the name Kallah Messiah (Anointed Bride) that is coupled with the Yeshua Messiah Brow Practice given elsewhere – though the Yeshua Messiah practice is typically cultivated first and then the Kallah Messiah practices is added, Mother Sarah often taught it as part of the moon cycle continuum for women initiates, adapting it for their use in their moon cycle.

Essentially the practice is as follows:

Sit in a comfortable position with your spine in a natural erect posture, and as you breathe draw breath down into your belly, as though into the navel center as your womb. Envision this breath sparking the fire in your root center, as though a fire beneath the cauldron of your belly, the navel center, and see this fire generating vast energy in the navel – the energy swiftly increasing.

With conscious intention intone the name Kallah Messiah into the navel center, and envision the fiery light streaming upward through the solar plexus, heart, throat, brow and crown (through the central channel-way), letting the Presence of Fiery Light dance upon your head.

See a Great Sphere of Light (diamond-like white brilliance) naturally and spontaneously appear above your head, and as you fall into silence after chanting, dissolve your appearance into this Presence of Fiery Light and leap into the Great Sphere is Light – abide in this joy of the Anointed Bride; amen.

Women and men alike can perform this practice, but this is a version given by Mother Sarah specifically for women during their moon cycle.

Another version is to envision the Presence of Fiery Light “melting” the Great Sphere of Light so that as fluid light it drips either into the heart center (heart-womb) or belly (navel center) and is held there; then it is offered up as the Elixir of Life, first to enlightened and divine beings, then to admixed beings, and then to dark and hostile beings, amen.

This is a very magical version, for all the while we envision ourselves in a Jeweled Body of Light, and when a time of offering comes we envision popping off the top of our head/skull of our body of light with hands of light (as though it is the Holy Grail), and then envision dipping it into the pool of Divine Light at the heart or navel and offering it to the beings in the envisioned assembly, all according to the order given. We become as a cornucopia, for there is no end to this flow of supernal nectar and no end to the beings we may nourish with it; yet, when all is said and done, the entire assembly dissolves into us and we dissolve into the Great Sphere of Light, then as the Great Sphere of Light, like a rainbow in the sky, we disappear! When we spontaneously reappear we walk in the world as the Shekinah of Messiah, the Anointed Bride – all in the Jeweled Body of Light, the Mystical Body of the Great Resurrection and Ascension. (This is a practice of Wild Gnosis!)

There is an essential version, far more simple and profound – with conscious intention intone Kallah Messiah into the Navel, as Yeshua Messiah into the Brow, do nothing more or less than this; in this way you will be gathered into the Body of the Risen Savior with the Holy Bride in her ascent; amen.

If we tend to “leak energy and vitality” one of the versions of this practice can be very good for us – one might call this practice “plugging leaks!”

(Here, perhaps, we can sneak in another practice and chant – with the conscious intention of taking up the dance of the Holy Bride, without any conjured vision, merge your mind with the chant as with her mind, with her voice, with her body: Yah Ah Ma Kallah Messiah! It is good; amen.)

May we be draw up in the ascent of Pistis Sophia; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

moon cycle

#41 Postby Elder Sarah » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 am

Greetings All,

Thank You Tau Malachi for sharing that amazing practice! I look forward to experimenting with it. The interaction of a women’s menstrual cycle and her Spiritual continuum has always intrigued me. I have found over the years that the more and more I take up the Spiritual life and living, the more and more my cycle becomes as an indicator of that which is happening with in the more subtle dimensions of my being. These subtle dimensions are the parts of my being that from surface consciousness, I might not so easily be able to know clear communication. In other words, my menstrual cycle acts as a communicator in which all the dimensions of myself let themselves be known and heard. It is almost as a intersection of all levels of my being. I think this is always happening, this communication, although we might not always be taking notice. It seems the more and more we surrender to listening and hearing the body speak to us, the more we can consciously make adjustments in our life and practice.

The Sophian way of celebrating the 13 cycles of the moon speaks to this idea of clear communication with all levels of our being. We are taught that during the New Moon it is a time to plant new seeds, to be clear of our intent and precise in that which we are planting. The full moon then becomes a time of harvesting, celebrating in Spirit that which has grown to maturity. In this way the cycles of the moon become a way of participating in that which is happening, One could say a way of acting as a co-creator in the Divine Drama. Life is not “happening” to us, we are life, and by being awake and aware we are able to consciously direct situations and circumstances, at least the situations in which something can be shifted. Our prayer in this way is that we are able to discern that which can be changed and that which cannot. By being able to discern we are then able to look and see, listen and hear all situations and circumstances in life as clear communication of the Shekinah, the Holy One’s Presence and Power. A women’s menstrual cycle is just this, a window into connectedness, the voice of a woman’s body.

I have found in experience that my menstrual cycle is very malleable and is always shifting according to that which is happening. I find that during radical influxes of energy my cycle will flow much more intensely, at times these influxes have even shifted or altered the cycle all together. I have also found that if I am withholding parts of myself or blocking the movement of Spirit, the flow of my cycle is altered. The alterations of my cycle is that which becomes the voice of my body, in which if I can hear, then things can be changed or left be, all according to what is happening. What this experience has taught is that our bodies are much more connected to Spirit that we might think, in fact our bodies are Spirit and the movements within the body are at the same time movements in Spirit, or you could say movements within the Continuum.

To my understanding the cycle of a woman’s body is a cycle in which every month the body is assessing whether or not it has been impregnated. If the body becomes pregnant the cycle becomes that which nurtures and sustains the fetus. If the body does not become pregnant, in that particular cycle, it clears itself and purifies in order to prepare for the start of a new cycle, a preparation for the possibility of impregnation. A women’s cycle in the body kind of reminds of a forest fire in the movement of the Earth. Such that menses is clearing and preparing for the next cycle in the body, a forest fire clears and purifies the land, making room for new birth. One could see any major movements in Mother Earth as movements of menses in her body. In this way all is a Movement of the Mothers Force and all is a movement of the Great Cycle, The Continuum. If viewed in this way we can begin to see the power that lies in a woman’s body and the effect an Enlightened Women would have within the matrix. Thus as Mary says in saying 16 of the Secret Gospel of Mary, “If you know the path of the moon, you will know the path of the sun. With this knowledge and understanding, follow the path of Light, which is beyond the sun or the moon. This is the path of the cross.”

Praise be the Mother!

Shalom,
Sister Sarah+

Renee

#42 Postby Renee » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:11 am

na
Last edited by Renee on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Susan

Effecting the "Natural Rhythms"

#43 Postby Susan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Greetings All!

Regards your questioning of what makes a "natural" menses as compared to an "artificial" one and specifically the effects of taking the contraceptive pill on a woman's self communication processes. Fascinating area for discourse!

I think it helps to remember what era we are living in, the modern era of great technological and scientific developments, and their equally great consequences! And because of this vastly different society and environment we live in, compared to that of 2,000 years ago or more, our physical bodies must, by necessity, be very different also. The modern female body is effected by electro magnetic radiation, chemical poisons in our food and water, and even in the very air we breath. I know of women here in Australia who have had their menstrual cycles altered dramatically because they included chicken in their diets! These intensively farmed birds have so much artificial estrogen in their bodies, to artificially increase their body weight, that they can be responsible for some young boys developing breast tissue and somewhat female-like bottoms!

And as we all know these few facts are just touching the sides of the whole environmental poisoning cycle in the world today. So, as a Pill user myself many years ago, I would say to those women worrying about this question now - our choices in this material world can rarely be perfectly free of compromise, there will always be circumstances over which we have no or very little control. Think of how many women suffer pain with their periods and many other froms of real discomfort, and how many of these are problems are in fact caused by the artificial hormones circulating in our food chain today. If a discovery of modern medicine can alleviate this suffering, which let's face it girls, for some unlucky ones of us can be so severe as to be life-altering, then why remain blinkered to the reality of our present day life-style and its consequences on our bodies?

As Sophians we look to the Mother Spirit for the spiritual energy to bring to each situation in life the creative, honest and unconditioned consideration of a new-born being. And our own individual choices of pathways will always be just that - individual. Otherwise how can their be evolution for the the One and the All?

Always bringing our questions (our plight), in all their raw honesty to the Mother Spirit, we pray to be empowered from within and above so that we may see the world as it truly is.

Many thanks for all the great understandings shared above from everyone - a lot of learning to be had! And as Kat explained, how important is it to remember that, in always focussing on the Human One of
Light, the physical womb remains what it is, a very limited experience of our true reality/potential - it is the [/i]heart womb within us all upon which we focus our spiritual energies!

May we all flow with and in the Shekinah of Messiah!

Shalom,

Susan

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

The cycle

#44 Postby Elder Sarah » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Shalom everyone,

This is a beautiful question you are asking Renee! I have definitely asked this one before as I am sure many women have. It seems with questions such as these we have to look at how we work and at how certain things effect us. Such that you said Susan, this is a matter of individual choice. Everyone’s body is different and things effect us differently. I have known women with whom the pill is ok with them, in some cases it actually helps women with severely painful cycles. I have also known many women with whom the pill was not ok and it created a serious effect. In asking these sort of questions if we look into our experience we can find our answer, also, it is important to look at how the idea of such a thing arose, and from where? We can ask, how is the decision to take the Pill effecting me and how did the idea arise? Looking into where an idea comes from and if the idea is truly ours and if not, being able to see where it came from, this is essential in the process of self-discovery. For example, when I was asking this same question not only was there physical evidence as to why it was not a good idea for me, as body was badly effected by the use of it, but also there was emotional evidence. I discovered in self examination that the whole reason the idea ever came to me was because it was outwardly imposed as a good idea, but was not my own. My body and emotions simply did not agree with my decision. It appears that body and emotions are always speaking to us, the question becomes can we listen. We can judge a tree by its fruit, and we need to always ask, in any choice we are making, does it bear good fruit? Or, does it suit me rightly. If there is good fruit then our choice is right for us, if the fruit is not so good then obviously our choice was not our own and does not rightly suit us.

If we are taking the pill and asking how it might affect communication within the body, as our cycle is effected, we might look to how it is that women who have experienced menopause still work within their moon cycle. In the tradition, postmenopausal women work by following the moon external, still working the same as when they where experiencing their menstrual cycle. If our cycle is altered then we can look to the moon and follow the moon’s cycle such that this is the same cycle we experience internally. The only thing that might be different in this, is that often shifts happening internally might be more noticeable than the outward shift. This is not to say that the same experience is not happening outwardly, it is, life teaches us this. Life moves is waves and patterns and as we become awake in the midst of them we learn to detect them and respond to them according to that which is happening. This is our prayer, that we may be able to look and see that which is arising and know ourselves in the midst of the arising, hence come to know everything as the radiance of our own consciousness.

Meny Blessings and Shalom,
Sister Sarah+

alx

leaking? I don't think so!

#45 Postby alx » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:53 am

dear ones --

wow, what an incredible discussion this has turned out to be.

I wanted to address Tau's point about women 'losing energy' during the menses and somehow considering that to be a judgment on their own integrity as women, as divine characters, and as spiritual people. definitely this isn't the point of my observations -- despite whatever I've learned about the mechanisms of the energy, meditation, the genders and the womb -- it's not at all a critique or a judgment about the lack of power that women embody as divine characters. quite the contrary -- my understanding is that the menses time is a powerful time and the whole cycle is part of the gift of the divine to women -- a kind of intense and amazing cleansing, decharging negativity, going on there.

there's nothing shameful or 'bad' or 'dirty' or any of that stuff involved, from my way of perceiving. maybe I expressed myself with less clarity about this delicate subject and so left my remarks open to misunderstanding?

I think if you look at the history of recorded holy people, there aren't that many women among their midsts -- and I know that as a female myself, at least in this lifetime (grinning here!), that really bothered me. we can of course make a good and solid case for the 'underground' quality of women saints, in secret sects and mystery traditions that didn't need to or care to reveal how many enlightened women there were..... but at the same time, there's something undeniably curious about the business.

when I researched this in India, under the auspices of a healing master, and heard this part about the energy imbalances (again, not a perjorative phrase, just a commentary on flow and pace of energy) inherent in the menstrual cycle, it made perfect sense to me.

and of course -- such a purificatory function, coming as it does in our own forms, these physical bodies -- there is no question this is a divine gift on many levels. I believe Mother Kali Herself embodies this kind of purification, negativity-transforming quality.

as far as 'to pill or not to pill' -- I suspect there's not a lot of influence, energetically, about forcing the cycle to a rigid 28-day pattern. what worries me more are some hormonal treatments that I've heard about to suppress menstruation in women, altogether (for the sake of 'convenience' in this modern world) -- yikes, in a word. having all of the open-hearted, womb-encompassing capacity that women have to help everyone around them heal, and heal deeply, without being able to decharge the effects of those healing interactions daily (I mean, like phonecalls from friends who are suffering, or dealing with children's problems or helping our mates heal, whatever it is) -- yikes.

women really need to decharge whatever we take on -- and, given the incidence of pms (which I see as an energetic build-up indicating that we're processing WAY too much karma for the people around us whom we love and help, consciously or unconsciously) -- even monthly isn't frequent enough. take away the menses cycle altogether, in women of reproductive age, and we're likely to see disease and other unfortunate conditions skyrocket.

it's a deep subject -- I'm grateful we're talking about it here.

in blessing,

Alx

Susan

Kali Kallah

#46 Postby Susan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Greetings!

Many thanks Alx for bringing up the beloved Kali Kallah in this discussion.
I have only recently taken my first baby steps in a personal journey towards understanding the Dark Bride, Dark Mother.

In relation to this discussion on female cycles/menses/the Pill, a key point seems most relevent here. What appears to us as Darkness may in fact be Light. Reciprocally, what we regard as Light may in reality, be Darkness. I have found the intertwining, the overlapping nature of the "two Brides" to be such that I find it sometimes impossible to distinguish the difference! In fact, in terms of space/time, is there any difference really? The borders are at least pretty blurred I find.

And isn't it here that we can really appreciate and understand the uniqueness of each individual's relationship with the Bride? We each live with, in and through Her in totally individualistic ways! But, even so, there is still a commonality pervading all our individual ways of processing and creating. For if we are living from within, then certainly, [/i]we are not the doer, rather the indwelling Christos, our Spiritual Son, is the pilot of our ship. And how to make sure if our direction is true? Spiritual practice informing our spiritual living.

So, [i]each to their own
in this question of "to Pill or not to Pill", and remember the chameleon-like quality of the Bride! May Her rainbow dance be ever before our searching eyes!

Shalom and blessings to all,

Susan[/i]

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

The Many Faces of the Bride

#47 Postby Elder Sarah » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:33 pm

Greetings All,

In the midst of the play I am reminded of the teachings that one must know Sophia Nigrans in order to come to know Sophia Stellarum, for it is only if we are willing to completely disolve into and as the True Light, do we come to Perfect Peace. Sophia Nigrans embodies all our fears, concepts, preconditions, expectation and attachment to name and form.

In the legend of St. Mary Magdalene we hear that her family sent her to Babylon, as her father had arranged her marriage to a weathy man. Along the way her caravan was attacked and she was raped then sold into slavery. It is said that at the moment all this darkness was taking place, Lilitu took notice of the Light that was in her and entered her and stayed with her the whole time she was in Babylon.

If we look into the mystery of this legend it can be seen that this is the experience of all of us and that it is our Soul that gets raped and sold into slavery and bondage. In this way the unenlightened world uses the Light
Power wrongly and the Soul Being gets sold to the dominion of the Demiergos and turned out as a prostitute. It is Sophia Nigrans, the Dark Bride that moves through unenlightened humanity and it is throught her that Beings begin the Great Liberation. She is the great purifier, purifying consciousness so that Beings may come to know Sophia Stellarum. How would we know to seek the light if we first don't begin to notice the darkness?

As the legend of St. Mary Magdalene goes on it is said that after much darkness in Babylon she begins to remember the illumined dreams of her youth, and she remembers the dreams of her Beloved, Yeshua Messiah. It is through these dreams that her ascent back to the Holy Land begins to take place.

It seems that it is through her recognition and awareness of the darkness that she begins seeking the Light, and it is through this awarness that she eventually comes to her Beloved.

Essentially, as you said Susan, Sophia Nigrans and Sophia Stellarum are the same, Sophia, yet it seems we must go through the Work in order to come to this realization. Only when we can dance with all the faces of the Bride can we come to know her as one face. The same with us, only when we come to know all of us, all the parts of ourselves, can we bring ourself into Unity.

May we come to know the One and the Many!
Praise be the Holy Shekinah!

Many Blessings,
Sarah+

Return to “Mysteries of the Divine Feminine”