Gilgul and Galgal

Zeke

Gilgul and Galgal

#1 Postby Zeke » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:49 am

Shalom my Tzaddik,

I found that the Hebrew word "gilgul" looks so similar to "galgal", one of three Sepharim mentioned in Sefer Yetzirah, is there any connection between them?

Thanks.

Zeke

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Wavey Serpent

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Salutations Zeke!

The gilgulim is associated with the Hayyot Ha-Kodesh (holy living creature), but as the Wheel of Transmigration it is a Great Ofan and is associated with the Ofanim (wheel angels). The proximity of the word “gilgulim” and the name of this Seraf, “Galgal,” alludes to the association of the Serafim (fiery-serpent angels) with the gilgulim as the motivating force of the Great Wheel; the Kerubim (strong ones) being the manifesting power of the Great Wheel. It would seem all of creation is the Merkavah of God; most specifically, the Human One is the Divine Merkavah (chariot).

Gilgulim and Galgal imply a wave-like motion, and if we watch a snake or serpent move it is very “wave-like.” Among the Serafim there are said to be classes that assume the form of great serpents or dragons, Galgal being the name of one of these dragon-like Seraphim. In other words, “galgal” describes the motion of certain classes of Serafim.

I recall an autumn discourse my Tzaddik, Tau Elijah, once gave, following the Feast of the Apocalypse that year, in which he spoke of a great dragon-like Seraf called “Galgal” as a manifestation of Divine force moving within the gilgulim and moving as the gilgulim, akin to a cosmic manifestation of what is called “Kundalini” in Eastern schools. Essentially, he spoke of it as the motivating force within the Great Ofan; hence, as the force that made it turn and ray out. The reference was in passing, for his aim was to speak of other mysteries, but he did mention this association.

May we be blessed with the divine vision to behold the World of Angels and know them most intimately; may we be blessed to abide in the company of the Shekinah of Messiah, the great luminous assembly of tzaddikim and maggidim. Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Sefer Yetzirah: Book of Formation”