Circle, Pillar, and Square

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Circle, Pillar, and Square

#1 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 pm

Shabbat Shalom, Tau Malachi:

Last Shabbat, you hinted in our conversations about angels that there were attributes to groups of angels according to shapes such as squares and circles. This triggered an insight I've seen in Continuum with you years ago, which The Bahir seems to corroborate:

What meaning of the word 'Shevet' [which means both ‘tribe’ and ‘rod’]?
It is something simple and not square.
What is the reason?
Because it is impossible to have one square inside another square.
A circle inside a square can move.
A square inside a square cannot move (114).

Just above this in verses 111-113 is a conversation of the twelve tribes of Israel and their permutations of the 72 Names of God. Beyond verse 114 unfolds a conversation about what is round (vowel points) and what is square (letters), the two depending upon each other for speech and Creation.

I remember you speaking essentially that the square represents the four cardinal directions, elements, and the archangels over which they preside. The circle alluded to another mystery of angels I'm hoping you could repeat. I also recall your teaching to us not to confuse Samekh ס with Mem-final ם, both of which take on circle and square contemplations.

Per sefirot, I recall the square corresponding with Malkuth, being visible below. Perhaps circle corresponds with Binah, from ‘above’, being perceived in and behind what is visible. Human constructs of ‘the world’ are the domain of Malkuth-the square; spiritual realities upon which Creation and ‘the earth’ are founded are the domain of Binah-the circle.

Per partzufim, would it be too simple to contemplate the circle as the Upper Heh (Mother) and the square be Lower Heh (Daughter)? I ask this as a pillar who joins these could be as the Vav (Son), uniting Mother Circle above and Daughter Square below as a great Middle Pillar of light—The Christos.

Gratefully,

Elder Gideon

Marion

Re: Circle, Pillar, and Square

#2 Postby Marion » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 am

Shabbat Shalom Elder Gideon!

This post has been stirring many contemplations within me; let's see if some of them will makes sense here.
The word 'Shevet' — שָׁ֫בֶט, means: rod, staff, club, scepter, and tribe. All of these seems to be aspects of rulership. The rod, we have learned symbolizes strict judgement, the staff is both consort, and the fulness of power. I am unsure as to the Kabbalistic symbolism of club and scepter, save that the club is used for blunt force (simple judgement?), and the scepter is a symbol of sovereignty (mercy?). The tribe here is also interesting, because in it, I hear Matrix, and a ruler cannot rule without their subjects. Therefore, it is the matrix of subjects that makes a ruler what they are.

Regarding the statement in the Bahir that you quoted: "Because it is impossible to have one square inside another square" I am wondering if we may hear 'square' as world, or materiality? I am also hearing this as worldly power and dominion. If one has power in this world, and not in the world to come, then it is not true or lasting. This also reminds of how Yeshua says: "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matthew 6:24. Would two squares here be like two masters?

"A circle inside a square can move." Is this speaking to true power, i.e Kingship, comes from the Holy One? This reminds of the numerous times in scripture that it is said of Yeshua: "...because he taught as one who had authority, and not as the scribes." There is one time this saying occurs in Matthew that is particularly interesting in regards to this context:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:24-27.

I am also contemplating this teaching in terms of Hebrew letters. There are only two closed letters in the Hebrew Aleph-Bet: final Mem — ם, and Samekh — ס. Interestingly, these two letters resemble a square, and a circle. Mem equals 40, and final Mem equals 600. Samekh equals 60. Therefore, the final form of mem 600, is the extension of Samekh, and we know if Hebrew, that the numeric extensions of letters have a special connection to eachother.

Looking into these letters, Mem spells Kingship — מַלְכ֑וּת, which is malkut, the 10th sefirah on the Tree of Life. Mem also spells: מֶמְשָׁלָה, Memshalah, which means dominion, and is also a feminine noun. Samekh's very spelling: סָמַך, means to lean, lay, to give support, as in Divine support.

So, does the interaction between these two letters speak to all dominion coming from the Holy One, all power coming from the Holy One, all support coming from the Holy One, All Things! As the Psalmist says: "I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2.

Blessings to the Holy One, maker of all things new this day, for darkness is not dark to you, the night is as bright as the day! May your blessings be on your people, Amen and Amen.

Shabbat Shalom!
Marion

Return to “Bahir: Book of Illumination”