Mochin Gadlut, the Big Mind

Moderator: Tau Malachi

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Mochin Gadlut, the Big Mind

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri May 07, 2004 2:39 pm

Mochin Gadlut is a term in Kabbalah for the enlightenment experience. Literally the term means "Big Mind," though by "mind" something more is meant than only mental being, for it includes physical, vital and mental, as well as supramental or supernal levels of consciousness. In other words what is actually meant by "mind" is consciousness; thus we could also translate Mochin Gadlut as "Big Consciousness."

The term Mochin appears frequently in discourse on the teachings found in the Zohar, along with the terms Shefa (Everflow) and Ruhaniyot (Radiant Breath). Along with Shefa and Ruhaniyot, Mochin is something we draw down as we bind our souls to the Sefirot (Light-emanations) and bind the Sefirot to our souls. Essentially, in this context Mochin is the Fiery Intelligence that activates and perfects consciousness on all levels, as well as representing the manifestation of consciousness on all levels. Shefa is the Energy-Substance of the Sefirot and Ruhaniyot is the Light-power of the Sefirot, which is conveyed by Shefa. Mochin is said to be the power to consciously receive and impart and direct these Spiritual Energies.

These ideas all relate to the enlightenment experience as conceived in the Kabbalah: an activation and perfection of consciousness on all levels; a linking of all levels of consciousness; an ascent to increasingly higher levels of consciousness or awareness; an expansion of consciousness or awareness; and, the actualization of the ability to consciously direct spiritual forces. Included in this is the peak of the enlightenment experience, supernal or Messianic consciousness, which is to say the experience of a conscious unification with God and Godhead (hence the "Mind of God," as it were).

What is unique about this term for the enlightenment experience is that it does not point to only one peak experience as "enlightenment," but points to a continual expansion and ascent in consciousness, each higher level of awareness or consciousness representing a degree of the enlightenment experience, or an enlightenment in relationship to the former state. Thus, we are constantly experiencing enlightenment as we sojourn the path, and we are constantly growing into enlightenment - potentially without end. This term takes any fixed or static idea of self-realization or enlightenment completely out of the picture. Instead of anything fixed or static, it is fluid and flowing and dynamic.

We might consider the term Mochin Gadult in the context of the mind of a child versus the mind of an adult, or the mind of a mortal being versus the mind of an immortal being - hence the suggestion of a perpetual growth and evolution of Consciousness-Force or Energy-Intelligence. What it indicates is a development and evolution to the Highest of Life: Supernal and Divine Being. In this sense it alludes to something of an "organic" and holistic process, something innate to who and what we are.

What thoughts do these ideas about Mochin Gadlut invoke?

Blessings & shalom! :D
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Phillip

Grace

#2 Postby Phillip » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:08 pm

I was thinking about the dialogue you have going on regarding tikkune and grace vs. law in this context. I wonder if this principle also applies with Mochin Gadlut, and if so, to what degree? I mean, there seems that statement to Moses, "No one may see my face and live," in reference to this, but maybe this is what Paul and Christ mean to be "reborn in spirit"...?

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Channel of Grace

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:03 am

Greetings Phillip!

Yes, indeed, Mochin Gadlut is directly connected to Divine Grace. One could say that the ordinary mind is a narrow gauge pipe, in a manner of speaking, and as a narrow gauged pipe it can only receive and transmit a small amout of the Light-power. The various grades of Mochin Gadult, however, are akin to progressively wider gauged pipes and can receive and transmit greater amounts of the Light-power. The peak of Mochin Gadlut is Supernal or Messianic Consciousness, which is a state of Pure Grace - a free flow of the Supernal Light.

Thus, do the degree we open our minds, hearts and lives to the Light-presence (Christos) and become transparent to the Light, this Light, which is Grace, enters into play. It's all about a dynamic surrender to the Anointed and Mother Spirit. While lower grades of Mochin Gadult gain be attained through personal efforts, according to the law, the higher grades of Mochin Gadlut are acquired by Grace and, thus, may be called gifts of the Spirit.

Coupled to this are the various grades of the soul of Light: Nefesh, Ruach, Neshamah, Hayyah and Yechidah, which can be drawn from from the various levels of the Olamot or Universes. Thus, witin these five levels of the soul there are twenty five levels. I mention this because it is the soul which is the vehicle of the Light or Grace of the Messiah, and it is through the reception of higher levels of the soul of Light that we enter into higher grades of Mochin Gadlut, the Big Consciousness.

This face that you mention is Arik Anpin, the Big Face, which is the Sefirot within the Supernals of Atzilut. We behold this face only indirectly, via Zer Anpin, the Little Face, and we may also gain glimpses indirectly through Imma and Abba to a degree - but no one gazes directly at Arik Anpin. At least, no one has ever returned from such a gaze to tell us about it. Arik Anpin represents a universe-dimension quite removed from this in which we live. The question becomes: Could one enter into that universe-dimension and continue to exist in this one?

These are the thoughts that come at the moment...

Blessings & shalom! 8)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Maid Marion

#4 Postby Maid Marion » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:18 pm

Shalom Malachi,

I was contemplating the question asked, "Could one enter into that universe-dimension and continue to exist in this one?"

I am curious if this depends upoun what is meant by the word exist? because, it has been said that the mystic exists with one foot in this world and one foot in the next. But, then there is the question, is this possible at the level of Arik Anpin? for if one were to exist in the universe that Arik Anpin exists in, would it be like what happens in death where one ceases to exist in this plane? another question that was invoked, is it possible to run and return form the state of gazing into the face of Arik Anpin? or is this running and returning more akin to gazing at the face indirectly through Zer anpin, Abba and Ima?

Arik Anpin is associated with Keter on the Tree of life, and of this path the Sefer Yetzirah says, "Mystical Consciousness: this is the light that was originaly conceived, and it is mthe first glory.no creature can attain to its exellence." Is this an allusion to the passing from this universe when one gazes into the face of Arik Anpin? Could This statement , no creature also be taken to mean, no-man? that is to say, in order to draw near to the flame one must be on fire oneself.

blessings and shalom,
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Mystical Union

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:17 pm

Greetings Maid Marion, and blessings!

The question is, could one remain in the body and experience Arik Anpin? The answer would seem to be, no one cannot. Yet, the inmost part of our soul of Light is inspearable from Arik Anpin and Or Ain Sof, and thus in our inmost part we exist in an innate unity with Arik Anpin, according to the sages of wisdom.

Now it is possible to develop consciousness beyond the body, and thus run and return from various higher levels of consciousness, in effect departing the body and returning to it. It would seem possible, perchance, to glimpse the glory of Arik Anpin in this way. Yet it would seem that a soul able to enter fully into the experience of Arik Anpin would not longer have need of the physical body and material dimension for continued development and evolution, but would transcend the need for incarnation altogether. Where such a soul to enter into this world it would seem that it would come for the sake of love and compassion to help in the enlightement and liberation of other souls, not by way of karmic conditioning as it typical here.

The truth is our owrds can only be deceptive regarding Arik Anpin, the Big Face, for it is completely supramental or supernal, and our mental being cannot comprehend it - thus all our owrds only point towards the truth, but are not the truth themselves.

When speaking of "creatures," remember that there is that part of us that is created and that part which is pure emanation. The person of Light in us is the son or daughter of God, which is to say, not creature but emanation. We often say that we are a person of Light who has come from the Light-continuum, which is true. But it is equally true to say that we are a person of Light who has never departed from the Light-continuum. Thus, recognizing and realizing this, have we "attained" anything, as though before recognition and realization it was not the truth of our inmost being? Indeed! In this sense it is not "attained," for it is the simple truth of Christ in us - the Indweller of Light. Isn't that delightful good news? How wonderful! Praise the Great Spirit!

Does this make sense?

Shalom! 8)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#6 Postby Rebekah » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:57 am

Shalom!

'...When speaking of "creatures," remember that there is that part of us that is created and that part which is pure emanation.'

In Genesis, there is an interesting play between "God said", "God created", "God formed", and "God made". These seem to relate directly to the Olamot. "God created man in his image" and "God formed man of dust from the ground" seem to indicate exactly what you said above, that there is a part of us that is created and a part that is pure emanation.

Blessings!
Rebekah
Sophia Fellowship
O.S.G.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Breath of Life

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:52 am

Greetings!

Indeed! Into this molded form Yahweh Elohim breathes the Living Nefesh, and this alludes to the soul of Light as pure emanation, the emanation of the Life-power (God). Yet, on an inner/higher level, there is the aspect of the Word and "creature" in the context of an archetypal pattern - thus an upper and lower play of emanation and creation. It is as though "God said" is the Word, a Holy Spark, with which a supernal pattern is creation ("God created"), then based upon that supernal pattern "God formed" a subtle body (a Body of Light) and with the Holy Breath God kindled or activated the Divine Spark. "God made," of course, is the descent of this person of Light into incarnation in the material dimension - hence God made for Adam and Eve "coats of skin."

Thus, in the human being there is something of heaven and the Supernal Abode and somthing of earth - in the human one heaven and earth are joined together, the realization of which we see in Lord Yeshua and Lady Mary Magdalene. (There is a hint of the mystery of hieros gamos, the sacred marriage, in this.)

Blessings & shalom! :wink:
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#8 Postby Rebekah » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:38 pm

Shalom Malachi!

In a post on another topic (I love how they weave together) you said, "Mochin Gadlut is a mind that is inclusive, not exclusive - an Integral Consciousness; and such is the very nature of Christ consciousness."

The above relates to the spark of the Divine being within all creatures, just as the essence of "Big Mind" is within all creatures. As you said, Mochin Gadlut is inclusive - which would indicate also that whether we experience higher mind, illumined mind, intuitive mind, universal mind, or the supramental, these also include Mochin Gadlut. Perhaps you would expand on this?
Rebekah

Sophia Fellowship

O.S.G.

charlie

the big mind

#9 Postby charlie » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:28 am

I've been wanting to discuss some of these very things that seem to have 'coincidentally' been arising in forum discussions lately... the co-incidence lies in how recent posts have a lot to do with my recent life, and it always seems to be that way, whether I read the forum every day or just once a week 8)

-btw, merry christmas everyone. 3:something AM and no bells jingling, very little air traffic, ATIS is giving out air traffic data using the metric system now :S , and being on guard duty for -unusual air traffic and/or an elderly heavy-set male with facial hair wearing a red suit- is getting a little old. the 'problem' is that this guy takes care of us both before and after the alloted time frame. there's the money that mysteriously shows up early, then the 're-gifting' of store bought (buyed) gift cards, then the 'late' presents, then taxes (have 3 kids, I don't pay taxes, taxes pay me). -

anyway, about this big mind... please forgive my mangling of words in this feeble attempt to talk about such things, I'm in a sort of mid-transition right now and processing alot.

the idea of 'one-mind' or 'universal mind' seems to be popular these days. for me, it's no simple matter to talk about, especially when statements like 'this is all illusion' and 'go with the flow' are taken so lightly.

it seems that whenever one speaks of this one-mind that any words we use create a separation. as if 'this' is talking about 'that' from some point of view of being separate from 'that'. it's hilarious when 'I' see 'myself' talking about something and using either 'we' or 'one' interchangeably :lol:

so... some things unfold for me in practice, and much later they are still very much in my awareness of everyday life. recently I saw something about the quantum nature of yechidah that unfolded before me like some sort of 'big bang'. what was once just an idea of "'this' light IS 'that' light" imploded. there was something of how this clear yet radiant light of awareness is something like a canvas upon which god paints existence, but any such metaphor or analogy falls far short of the mark. I frequently feel like I'm 'talking to myself' in almost any interaction with others.

the amount of self-grasping that is being revealed is astonishing. my teacher says she is always seeking a 'gentler way' and once again I feel like I'm just beginning to understand it. I am blessed beyond belief.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Gradations of Consciousness

#10 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:54 am

Greetings everyone!

We can gain insight into the meaning of Mochin Gadlut through considering the gradations of mental consciousness between the ordinary mind and Christ consciousness. Christ consciousness is, by nature, supernal or supramental, yet the light of Christ consciousness shines within the higher states of mental consciousness.

As you mention, Rebekah, there is the higher mind, illumined mind, intuitive mind and the universal or cosmic mind, then beyond this peak of the mental consciousness there is the supernal or Messianic consciousness, that which we call "Christ consciousness."

Higher mind is the experience of lumnious insights or thoughts, as though points of light in the mind, which may or may not be directly related or connected with one another - one or more inspired thought. The illumined mind is the experience of something like a stream of light, a flow of luminous thoughts or inspiration that may last for a shorter or longer duration, all completely interconnected and directly related to one another. Intuitive mind is quite a leap from this, it is akin to the "download" of a whole field of knowledge, and field of light, as it were, in which one "knows." Universal mind is the experience of multiple fields of knowledge emerging in the mind, along with the interconnection of those fields of knowledge, and when the vital consciousness is uplifted along with the mental, there is a profound experience of being connected to all creatures and the whole of creation - hence the state of cosmic consciousness. There is a state of the universal mind in which one feels connected to creation, and a state in which one feels connected to God, yet it is not a complete experience of conscious unification with God and Godhead as in Christ consciousness. (Some times the term "overmind" has been used to distinguish between these two experiences of universal mind.) Even in the highest peak of the mental consciousness, however, there is a subtle and sublime dualism that remian, so subtle that this peak is often mistaken for actual Christ consciousness. However, Chist consciousness is a state of pure radiant awareness beyond mental consciousness - one that does not rely on thought and thinking, but which is a non-dual gnostic awareness in which there is no longer any subject-object relationship, only pure being, pure knowing, and the experience of unification with the Source of Being (God and Godhead).

Each of the gradations of mental consciousness from the ordinary mind to universal mind represent an increasingly less restricted manifestation of the light of Christ consciousness and in Christ consciousness one realizes all these levels as manifestations of that one light - that radiant awareness. From the perspective of one grade, the next grade is Mochin Gadlut, for it is a "Bigger Mind;" hence a greater kavvanah-concentration that produces and expansion of consciousness. Thus, contemplating these gradations of mental consciousness we gain insight into the progressive experience of Mochin Gadlut - growth and development into Big Mind.

Higher and illumined mind are relatively common in the experience of our present human condition. Intuitive mind is less frequent, but does occur in the experience of focused individuals in various fields of study, spiritual and otherwise. Universal mind is relatively rare, just as the full dawn of the supernal or Messianic consciousness is relatively rare as yet among us. However, in peak states we certainly can glimpse and experience something of the highest grades of mental consciousness, and even glimpse Christ consciousness. Realization implies that one os consistantly able to enter into a higher state of consciousness and that one is able to embody something of the Truth and Light revealed in that experience.

It is entirely possible for a sudden enlightenment, the dawn of Christ consciousness as though one were struck by a lightening bolt, but more often than not we first proceed through the higher gradations of mental consciousness, the cultivation of which creates the necessary conditions for a supramental breakthrough. These higher state of mental being-consciousness can be cultivated by any or all of the five ways in the Path, whether work, devotion, power, knowledge or transformation (the weave); however, with the aim of the supernal or supramental in mind, the ideal is an Integral Way that combines all of the ways, hence the Fifth Way of Transformation.

In other words, Christ consciousness is more accessible than some might propose, and we can consciously cultivate the experience of Mochin Gadlut - the methods are clearly given in the teachings and practices of the Tradition.

In the midst of this exaplanation, of course, we must remind that the development and evolution of Mochin Gadult is not as linear as it may sound in any provisional teaching - radical leaps in the adventure and evolution are possible, and development does not typically proceed from grade to grade in a linear fashion. The experience of each individual is unique with Mochin Gadlut - for some it is more gradual progress, for others more sudden. After all, it is Divine Grace that ultimatley brings about Mochin Gadlut in our experience, that Grace which flows from the Risen Savior.

As for the potential experience of Yechidah - typically speaking glimpses of the quantum nature of consciousness first occur as the perception of Neshamah through Ruach in a peak experience. One must remember that Yechidah and Hayyah are integral to Neshamah, and that the supernal soul cannot truly be divided. For reference purposes, check out the aspects of the supernal soul in Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ - there the outer teaching on the aspects of the soul is given, the foundation for the inner and secret teachings on the soul of light. The study and contemplation of the five aspects of the soul of light are also a way to contemplate Mochin Gadlut. After all, the term "soul" is synonomous with the term "consciousness" in our tradition.

Blessings and shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Christian Kabbalah”