Awareness of Da'at

Moderator: Tau Malachi

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

Awareness of Da'at

#1 Postby Elder Sarah » Sun May 24, 2015 9:36 am

Shabbat Shalom!

There is a beautiful teaching in Kabbalah that surrounds mysteries of Da'at, the most curious Sefirah that is and isn’t a Sefirah. It is said that the spiritual realization of Da'at is the awareness that things manifest as one expects them to manifest. In other words, an awareness that our thoughts, speech and actions are intricately interrelated and explicitly woven into all that is happening in this reality display. Literally as we think, speak and act there is a corresponding movement in the reality display. What this says is beautiful, wonderful and scary at the same time. Beautiful and wonderful in that it says we really have much more involvement in what is happening around us than we can tend to think. We really can be and are co-creators with God in what is manifesting in our lives. Scary because we all know how crazy mind can be, we see this in a simple meditation practice, so, scary because we may not always be aware of what we are expecting.

Where this teaching of Da'at sends me is to a particular place in the Gospel of Mark. Mark 11 and the story of the cursing of the fig tree. This a most peculiar story. The story begins with Yeshua and his Disciples being hungry and coming across a fig tree. The tree ends up being out of season, with no fruit. Upon discovering the tree has no fruit, Yeshua curses the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again”. Later, as the Disciples are walking by the tree they see it has withered. Peter saying, Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!” Here Yeshua comes out with the most beautiful teaching, one I feel corresponds very much with the awareness of Da'at, that things manifest as you expect.

Yeshua says, “Have faith in God, I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive your sins.”

There are two ideas that stand out here in connection with how one may come to the awareness of our expectations being what is manifest. One, faith and two, forgiveness. The master is giving a beautiful key here, do not doubt and forgive, that the Holy One may forgive you. It becomes very interesting to overlap these ideas and view them together, in this perhaps hearing, our inability to forgive, first ourselves and then others is what causes doubt to occur in mind. In doubt we undermine our own success, perpetuating failure. Really, though, this comes from a place that lacks forgiveness, lacks acceptance of self. Where this begins to go is into a contemplation of how we hold our power back, not allowing the full force of our power to come forward.

In this context, I am intrigued then the lesson of the fig tree, understanding it is a lesson on power, the right use of power. I am intrigued how to come to understand an idea of ‘holding power back’, how to overcome doubt and strengthen faith. Very interested in what others might have to say in experience of this contemplation.

Holy One of Being, may we express the fullness of life you have given! Amen and Amen

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Awareness of Da'at

#2 Postby sheryl » Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Shabbat Shalom Elder Sarah!

I much appreciate and delight in this contemplation! Praise and gratitude to our Mother.

There seems to be a powerful lesson in what the Perfect Tzaddik is teaching here--this being a rare glimpse within the Gospels at his humanness and how Habad, or Wisdom, Understanding and Knowledge, can arise in a Holy One, directly from their human experiences in the world of materiality. Thus the teaching is contained within the circumstances arising and the circumstances arising are contained within the teaching.

I cannot hear often enough of the power we hold in determining the experiences arising in our awareness, whether they be in materiality or in the spiritual realms - the power contained in our thought, our word, and our action. A teaching comes to mind which says that we create our energetic/spiritual bodies with our thoughts. For example, faith, hope and love are much more than sentimentality - these being connecting points, as emanations of our thoughts, words and actions, with the divine attributes of God.

A recent teaching arising from saying 43 of The Secret Gospel of Mary comes to mind:

Mary said to her disciples, “When the Risen Savior appears, look into his heart, and there you will see a threefold flame of Sophia. It is faith, hope and love, but inwardly it is knowledge, understanding and wisdom. Ask the Lord to give you this Holy Flame, so that you also might enter the kingdom and be perfect as the Father and Son are perfect.”

Given the teaching that you have offered, Elder Sarah, I am wondering if we can say that hope is the gateway to Da'at?

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#3 Postby Elder Sarah » Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 am

Shalom Sister Sheryl,

Thank you for the reminder of the recent teaching surrounding Saying 43 in the Secret Gospel of Mary. In returning to this teaching I have much appreciated the integral movement of Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom, hence Faith, Hope and Love. Mostly, the reminder that these really need to work together as one. It seems, through our human experiences, as shown by Yeshua in this verse, we are working to find balance with these three.

This draws me to a verse in Job which I love, (Job 4:6)
"Is not your fear of God your confidence, and the integrity of your ways your hope?'

Interesting that we hear in Proverbs (9:10) the mention that, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight." Drawing these two together, I hear to walk in confidence, as we see with the example of Yeshua and the Fig tree, has much to do with this sparking of Wisdom, the Fear of the Lord. That through his ability to enact a very human side, slaying the fig tree while out of season, but then taking that folly and turning it into a talisman, or prayer to shatter the false desire inherent in creation itself. This confidence, this fear of the Lord, seems to lead to hope. I hear a teaching that teaches the ability to use all that is happening, to uplift all things. To keep integrity within our walk, letting our yes be yes and no be no, is hope. To walk in confidence and integrity seems to lead to insight, hence Da'at, knowledge. It is almost as if confidence and integrity allow us to see a bigger picture in what is happening, when we can see a bigger picture we can see how what we do matters, it begins to involve others. Somehow I feel this relates to the awareness of Da'at, insight that leads to a knowledge of why we must seek to grow greater faith, greater hope and greater love, recognizing how we are enacting these things has a direct relationship to how our lives are panning out, of how we are relating, of what we are experiencing.

Holy One, may we use all that you give us, delivering the full force of the power you have given, all for the sake of glorification! Amen and Amen.

sheryl
Site Admin

#4 Postby sheryl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:43 am

Shalom, Elder Sarah,

I am much delighting in the insights that you have shared with us.

It is almost as if confidence and integrity allow us to see a bigger picture in what is happening, when we can see a bigger picture we can see how what we do matters, it begins to involve others. Somehow I feel this relates to the awareness of Da'at, insight that leads to a knowledge of why we must seek to grow greater faith, greater hope and greater love, recognizing how we are enacting these things has a direct relationship to how our lives are panning out, of how we are relating, of what we are experiencing.

What I am hearing is that the knowledge of self is the pathway to knowledge of God. This knowledge of self requires our confidence to act on our present understanding, but also, as you have taught, to remain open, expansive, to what I am hearing is an adjustment or correction bringing what appears to be a failure or mistake into our original intention. By drawing out the good, we can collect, even what appear as detours, into our original intentions. In this way, self knowledge of what might appear to be lackings are now counted as strengths, or rather, the unique array of self.

Wow. This gives rise to a whole new perspective on our journey! For one, nothing needs to be wasted. And two, indeed in all things, God works together for the good for those who love God and are called according to God's purpose. I am hearing something new: All things work together for the good. Is this not a gathering in of all that we do, seeing it all as synergizing for the intended good? So that we make our actions one smooth movement towards our intentions?

This gives new light to our life review and also new understanding to forgiveness.

In this are we not forgiving our selves and in doing so gathering back in what felt to be separate or what was drawing us away from our true self?

This gives rise to another contemplation. The necessity of forgiveness. It has come to mind that when we sin, when we act in ignorance, in the delusion of separation and lack, we are creating a false self identity. And forgiveness of sin loosens the ties to our false mentalities or our false sense of self. And what is forgiveness but self offering (an attribute of our true self) in place of self defense, or self glorification (attributes of our false self)? So that through forgiveness and self offering, are we not letting our false mentalities, our false sense of self, die? Allowing for influxes of our true self?

Any adjustments or clarifications to these thoughts will be received with gratitude.

Sheryl
Last edited by sheryl on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Daniel

#5 Postby Mark Daniel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:10 am

Shalom, and thank you so much for this thread of wisdom!

I have been contemplating the relationship you have been teasing out between self-doubt, forgiveness and power. My contemplation here very much grows out of the last point you make sister Sheryl: “in this are we not forgiving our selves and in doing so gathering back in what felt to be separate or what was drawing us away from our true self?"

It seems to me that self-doubt arises in part due to the fragmentation of our self. In other words, while we are divided within there will always be one part of us which can doubt the other. This division we experience limits our power, limits the focus of our intentions - like a river split in two has less force. This reminds me of a discourse where Tau Malachi pointed to the division of Adam and Hava at the moment when the serpent was evoking Hava’s desire for the fruit (Adam had temporarily walked away). Divided they were more susceptible to the doubt the Serpent was selling.

The process of unifying our fragmented self is at the very heart of spirituality (and psychology). I see forgiveness playing a central role in this unification. In the secret gospel of St. Mary we read ‘Give what you wish to receive and you shall have it. Take what you desire and it will be stolen from you” (saying 10). What I hear from this is that if we wish for inner unification we would be wise to begin creating unification in our families, our communities and our world. When we hold a grudge we divide ourselves from each other, and doesn’t it seem that we also somehow divide ourselves from ourselves? Tau Malachi also wrote, that we must come to the “understanding that what we do to other creatures and to our environment we do to ourselves” (Cosmic Christ, 257). If forgiveness is central to creating a wholeness in the world, is it then not also a great key to establishing a wholeness within?

Doubt limits our power because it divides us. A divided self wastes energy in conflict and confusion. When the divided self is unified once again there is a surplus of energy made available. Once we are unified within ourselves, unified with our community, unified with the world and unified with Spirit, think of the possibilities - moving mountains would be the least of what we could accomplish!

I wonder what other advice and mysteries the tradition has to offer about the yoga (unification) of forgiveness? And the power of unification that forgiveness can bring?

I hope this addition can be useful, and as always am grateful for the gift of any insights!

All my love brothers and sisters,

Mark Daniel-

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#6 Postby Elder Sarah » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:23 am

Shabbat Shalom!

I love what you have said here Sister Sheryl,

"In this are we not forgiving our selves and in doing so gathering back in what felt to be separate or what was drawing us away from our true self?"

I hear in this a teaching of what the Giving and Receiving practice in the tradition is really about. After all, we are discussing for- giveness; for the sake of giving. Can we say, giving to self is embracing of all that has been excluded from self? In this there is a simultaneous movement of giving to others, an embracing of others and all of what has been made separate in our view of others?

I once had a very powerful experience with the Giving and Receiving practice, the experience gave me some insight into what is really behind this very potent teaching. In the experience I choose to take up giving and receiving for a particular person I what having a conflict with. While I engaged, during the practice, I realized the conflict I had with this person was a conflict I had with a part of self. In the separation made, it was as if this part of self had lost all voice, all power and felt helpless and completely unheard. In the exchange, it was as though this part was being received back into self, was being welcomed, was being heard, was being embraced. Praise the Mother!

This ties completely to your mention Mark of saying 10 in the Secret Gospel of Mary, "give what you wish to receive and you shall have it. Take what you desire and it will be stolen from you". I hear, give back to that which so yearns and desires to be included, embrace this part, both in self and others. If we 'take' what isn't us, excluding and ignoring, we lose our power, lose ourself, hence enact false desires.

I think we may say Mark, the practice of Giving and Receiving very much expresses a yoga of forgiveness in the tradition! And it really is an ongoing practice, one that has the potential of going deep, and deeper still, into places in us that are completely ignorant or unaware of the separation, of the exclusion. In it we learn what bothers us in others is what bothers us in ourself. Quite literally, it teaches how to accept self and bring self home, which at the same time brings others home and eventually leads to an awareness that everything we witness is the radiance of our own consciousness. It is quite beautiful and very, very effective! Praise the Holy Spirit for the mystery of such a practice!

I am sure much more may be said, these were a few thought that arose as I contemplated what has been beautifully drawn out here. Thank you for sharing your insights!

Holy One, we pray, bless us in our power to give!

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

sheryl
Site Admin

#7 Postby sheryl » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:46 am

Shalom Shalom Elder Sarah, Mark, and friends!

I am very much enjoying what you have both shared.

Your experience, Elder Sarah, in practicing giving and receiving is a powerful teaching. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I am particularly drawn to Saying 10 from the Gospel of Mary: "give what you wish to receive and you shall have it. Take what you desire and it will be stolen from you".

It comes to mind that in forgiving, judgment and mercy are united. For-giving is self offering or self restraint, and in this the Mercy of God is able to flow into this world.

And so it feels very much that sin and forgiveness, or self offering, can be a vehicle through which God can give of GodSelf, bringing to mind that this is all part of the weave, the mystery, of God's Will and Intent for this world.

Praise be She from whom, and in whom, all good things emanate!

With gratitude,

Sheryl

Return to “Christian Kabbalah”