Soul Mates: From the Perspective of Neshamah

Moderator: Tau Malachi

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:37 pm

There is a teaching in the Kabbalah that speaks of the division of Neshamah into male and female emanations, saying all holy and supernal souls were in the Supernal Human One (Adam) before Eve and Adam were separated; thus, when Eve and Adam were separated, all Neshamot were divided into male and female. Therefore the Kabbalah says that every person has a perfect counterpart – a “soul mate,” which they are destined to meet and unite with in the cycles of transmigration at some point. According to the Christian Kabbalah it is said that Lord Yeshua and Lady Mary were soul mates, the Holy Gospel pouring out of their union.

This is a great mystery, most subtle and sublime, for on one hand, the Neshamah has no gender, but is neither male nor female. Yet, the principle of gender is within it and the Neshamah may become male or female. Likewise, as the supernal and holy soul, Neshamah cannot be divided; yet, it may engender many emanations, including manifestations in dynamic polarities. The nature of Neshamah is even more mysterious and non-linear, for all Neshamot exist within the Neshamah and the Neshamah is within all Neshamot; thus, at the level of the supernal and holy soul, all souls are interconnected and interdependent. Nevertheless, the Neshamah being akin to the glory of Yechidah, the divine spark or unique essence, every Neshamah is unique and individual, though existing within the Sacred Unity of the Supernal Abode.

If we are to say that Neshamah becomes male and female, and if we are to speak of “soul mates,” then we must look to see what the masters of the tradition mean by this teaching and how it comes to pass – truly, it is an esoteric teaching, most subtle and sublime.

Listen and hear, and understand! Neshamah becomes male or female by silent volition – the force of will, and does so in order to carry out the true will or the mission of the soul. Generating the Ruach (spirit or intelligence) and Nefesh (vital soul) of an incarnation it becomes male or female in effect as it emanates a personality and life-display that is male or female. Quite naturally, through various incarnations Neshamah becomes male and female, as it takes up the play of coming into being and seeks to enact its true will.

Neshamah exists in the Supernal Abode, the Pleroma of Light, and thus is beyond the limitations of space-time, the Entirety. Therefore, not only does the Neshamah emanate itself as male and female, shifting genders through various incarnations, but it can emanate into simultaneous incarnations, and can appear as male and female at one and the same time. Quite obviously, were a male and female incarnation of one and the same Neshamah to meet and unite in the world, and both brought in something of the Neshamah into their incarnation, there would be a greater and more dynamic manifestation of the power of the Neshamah in the world. This, of course, is the meeting of soul mates.

(One must understand that if the Neshamah can manifest as two simultaneously, then it can also manifest as several or more – which is a phenomenon that we see occurs with realized individuals at times for the sake of a greater manifestation of Light Transmission.)

Generally speaking, introductory teachings on the soul mate are given from the perspective of Ruach and Nefesh, and the explanation appears in a linear and simplistic fashion, but here we are speaking from the perspective of the Neshamah, as occurs in inner teachings among initiates of the tradition. In introductory teachings on soul mates it may sound as though one’s counterpart would be akin to one’s “other half,” but in fact that is not exactly what the teachings are proposing, at least not in our Christian Kabbalah. Such a perception comes from a state of dualistic consciousness, devoid of the experience of the Neshamah, for in the experience of the Neshamah one finds that each and every emanation is whole and complete in itself, for it is the level of the soul that abides in the Pleroma (fullness).

Where we may speak of a greater dynamism and power in the meeting and union of soul mates is that here, in the world, there is male and female, and the world is dualistic in its gross manifestation. Therefore, if a man and woman embody the fullness of their Neshamah, and share the same Neshamah as their root, the greater fullness of Neshamah becomes manifest in their interaction and union. It is not as though either is lacking something, but for obvious reason greater potential is actualized and realize.

Of course, the true meeting and union of soul mates assumes the development and evolution of the soul or consciousness stream, so that in the realm of becoming Nefesh and Ruach have become realized and the Neshamah is drawn into the incarnation – apart from this there can be no true and full union, and the dynamic embodiment that comes with the union.

While often the meeting and union of soul mates may be spoken about in the context of more literal and physical relationships between two lovers, it may also occur in psychic and spiritual levels in other forms of relationship – the physical component of a sexual relationship is not necessarily always present. Yet we may say it is extremely powerful when union can occur on the physical, psychic (mental-emotional) and spiritual levels.

From this you may understand that the teachings on soul mates run significantly deeper and are far more extensive then what may appear in the initial introduction of the subject at the outer level of the teachings.

May we seek to meet and unite with the Beloved in all beings, and perchance if we encounter our soul mate, and are blessed to enter into union, let us praise the Lord and serve the Divine Kingdom/Queendom; Amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

darkchylde

#2 Postby darkchylde » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:23 pm

Greetings and wingwhispers.
With humbleness I must ask. How would someone know if they had found their soulmate and if someone was already in a relationship and discovered that you didn't find your soulmate, what would be your options? What if a troubled past would keep you from connecting even if your soulmate was found? Must I become an asetic to find peace?
Sorry for heavy questions.
Love and peas
Darkchylde

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Soul Mates

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:43 am

Greetings!

The teachings on soul mates that occur in the tradition are part of the teachings on the interdependence and interconnection of souls, and the interplay and interrelationship of souls in the process of their development and evolution. Thus, my beloved Tzaddik, Tau Elijah, would always say that it is good to treat everyone we enter into relationship with as though they were our “soul mate,” following the commandment “Love your neighbor as yourself.” To meet and unite with one’s soul mate requires auspicious circumstances and living in this way can help to create auspicious circumstances in one’s life.

There is something much more within teachings on soul mates than an egoistic clinging to the idea of an ideal relationship for myself – within it is the idea of the mission of one’s holy soul, one’s neshamah, or one’s true will or life intention; for a “soul mate” shares in one’s true will and soul mates that are able to unite (or work together) facilitate the fulfillment of true will or life intention. If we take Lord Yeshua and Lady Mirya as an example of soul mates, we see that in the union of soul mates there is something of the Great Gesture – a blessings extended beyond the two individuals in relationship, which benefits others, serving to uplift others, not only themselves. In essence, our humanity and divinity merge and are brought forth in the union of soul mates, as in the union of the tzaddik and disciple in a spiritual friendship.

It is entirely possible that we may be able to meet a soul mate, but not unite with them; likewise, we may be able to unite with them to an extent, but not fulfill the mission of the soul – there are many possibilities. It all depends upon the development and evolution of the individual soul-beings involved and their karmic condition. Ultimately, the meeting and union of soul mates is a matter of Divine Providence, which is to say Divine Grace; though, as in everything, we are responsible for co-creating the conditions necessary for Grace to act.

In terms of recognition of a soul mate, in that our innate connection is at the level of neshamah, we must draw upon something of our neshamah in this life to recognize a soul mate and this recognition requires self-knowledge – after all, it is the recognition of something of one’s soul-being within the other person. Will this recognition always be fully conscious to the extent of being known at the level of ruach and nefesh, or known in the surface consciousness of the incarnation? No, it is entirely possible that soul mates could meet, and even unite, but not be completely conscious of the deeper soul connection (conscious that they are “soul mates”) – their conscious recognition might simply be their love for one another and the awareness that they resonate with one another in a special way. Again, there are many possibilities, as many as there are souls in the dance of life.

Is it that I’m seeking to find my soul mate or that I’m seeking to draw upon and embody something of my neshamah? The former is typically the result of the latter, thus it is the latter that is our priority as spiritual practitioners; hence, the journey into the experience Divine Illumination (Divine Gnosis).

If we seek peace and joy, it is in our holy neshamah, our divine and bornless nature – it is in the depths of our being. Thus, seeking peace, seeking joy, I’m seeking to recognize and realize the Divine I Am – Supernal and Divine Being, the Human One of Light (Christos).

In the experience of oneness and multiplicity – the quantum emanation of the Holy One, who is not my soul mate? Yet, in the midst of the Divine Play, as a unique and individual emanation of the One, there is the soul mate – all in a mystery. How wonderful! How amazing!

Does Self-realization in Christ require us to withdraw from the fullness of life? In the Sophian Gnostic view and method, no, it does not; rather, it requires that we take up life fully, but integrated to the spiritual life and practice – the whole of life becoming the vehicle of our Self-realization. That does not mean at times I may not elect to engage in a spiritual retreat to bolster my spiritual life and practice – at times that may be necessary. However, life itself is the path to Sophians and we believe that a realization that cannot be integrated to life is imperfect and incomplete – we seek an integral Self-realization that includes all activities of life, all levels of being-consciousness.

The real question for each of us is: How can I enact my true will or life’s intention? How can I unfold the process of Self-realization, drawing upon the holy neshamah in me? If there is to be a meeting and union with our soul mate, it is this activity that is most likely to create the conditions in which it will transpire; of course, this is also true for our soul mate – he or she would have to co-create the necessary conditions as well.

What are these conditions? In essence, it is being most truly oneself and living as oneself – living within and being guided from within, from the deeper part of our soul-being. Quite naturally, what this means depends upon self-knowledge, for we are each unique individuals, having a unique divine essence – from one to another it is going to be somewhat different. Thus, in Christian Gnosticism we place emphasis upon self-knowledge. After all, if I do not know myself, how shall I recognize my soul mate, let alone experience gnosis of God and Godhead, or Divine Illumination?

In my own journey I cannot say that I’ve place all that much attention on meeting and uniting with my soul mate, but rather my attention has been upon dancing with the Holy Bride and the play of the Gnostic and Light Transmission. If I have, or if I will, meet and/or unite with an incarnation of my soul mate, then it shall be the extension of the sacred dance with the Holy Bride for me. That to me is everything – the dance with the Groom or the Bride, the dance with the Beloved, all as one is inclined. Indeed, my beloved Tzaddik would say that this is the whole point to teachings on the mystery or soul mates: the cultivation of Divine Passion for the Beloved and our dance with the Beloved, the fruition of which is Union.

Here we may speak an inmost secret teaching, for the sake of contemplation. If as a man I embody Christ the Logos, who is my soul mate? She is Christ the Sophia. If as a woman I embody Christ the Sophia, who is my soul mate? He is Christ the Logos. The noble ideal of meeting and encountering my soul mate is this: that in my beloved I might embrace the Beloved – all of life is a sacred dance with the Beloved.

If this embrace is inward, then it is perfect. If it manifests outward, as well as inward, how wonderful, it is perfect glory! Yet, if not inward, it shall not manifest outward; thus, I shall seek to experience the mystery of the Bridal Chamber inwardly, and all that follows shall be the glorification of my Beloved. Hallelu Yah!

May we be blessed to dance with the Beloved and, perchance, to enter into Union; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

#4 Postby Marion » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Dear darkchylde,

As I beleive Malachi points out in the original post, the teachings of soul mates in the tradition are much more than mundane human relationships and the meeting of ones soul mate is extremely rare. Two people who happen to be soul mates may meet one another in various incarnations but not be able to unite. In order for soul mates to come into union each must embody the fullness of their neshamah (holy soul, abiding in the supernal abode) and be very close to enacting the mission of their soul. By silent volition, a neshamah may also "split" into many emanations, so that there may potentialy be three, four, five etc... individuals who embody the same holy neshamah. In some Gnostic texts such as the Pistis Sophia, is is said that Magdalene and Yeshua emanated their disciples, so that, all of their disciples were their soulmates, embodying the same holy neshamah; Though we may say that when union occurs on material, phycic and spiritual levels it is most powerful between soul mates. The teachings of soul mates are extremly subtle and sublime. Perhaps a good method in understanding this is to banish all the concepts we might have of soul mates from what our society and culture teaches and read the teachings in this way. Also, it might be good to read the initial post again, as I think most of your questions will be answered by it.

Blessings and Shalom,
Marion

darkchylde

#5 Postby darkchylde » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:50 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. Not only did it help me to understand, but it brought me peace on a subject that troubled me. Even though I have been a student of Gnostism for about 3 years now, I still feel like a blind man looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Thanks for the light.
Darkchylde

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Same Sex Soul Mates

#6 Postby Elder Gideon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:18 pm

Shalom Tau Malachi!

Far too often, I have not been able to hear 'soul mate' apart from physical union, creating an unnecessarily painful experience of physical incompleteness. I very much appreciate your clarification of soul mate as the gnosis of our holy soul, our neshamah. :wink:

I hear in a new and very affirming way that this gnosis of 'my' holy soul IS the union with 'my' soul mate. This insight of union being drawn out first from within me is very healing to hear as a gay man, for too often, provisional teachings of this kind are mishandled by self-righteous heterosexuals who hear 'male' and 'female' literally throughout wisdom teachings. Helpfully, you clearly point to the mystery of neshamah being without gender in essence, yet appearing as male and female for the tikkune of souls!

I would ask, as it's quite relevant for many reading, what the Sophian tradition has to say about soul mates for those incarnate in gay and lesbian bodies?

Gratefully,

Brother Michael

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Gay & Lesbian Soul Mates

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Greetings Brother Michael!

You ask an important question, one that I'm glad you brought up. Essentially, the meeting and union of soul mates is the same for gay or lesbian couples as for hetrosexual couples - any two people could very well be soul mates, and regardless of sexual orientation the dynamism of soul mates can play out.

In the Sophian Gnostic tradition sexual orientation is not an issue - in fact within the Sophian teachings it is said that a gay or lesbian couple can bring forth a special energy in their relationship when that relationship is founded upon sincere love and commitment.

Let us pray to the Divine Mother for the acceptance and tolerance of all people - an end to injustice and persecution; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Phillip

#8 Postby Phillip » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Shalom All!

Is the meeting of soul mates is a "destined" event?

I will explain what I mean by this question in more detail. In the teachings surrounding the soul, we learn that the soul is transcendent of the play of fate, yet in dialogues on the meeting of soul mates, I often hear this romanticized "fated" event as though this particular person is fated for this particular person from birth, etc... so I wonder if I am hearing this karmically...

So, I'll develop this question a bit further along the lines of this consideration...

Are two "persons" "fated" "soul-mates" from birth, or does a person have a capacity and spark of something that becomes activated, which then allows a person to embody the Neshamah, allowing persons to enact themselves as "soul-mate"?

I am hearing quite a bit about this being an internal event and transpiring within as a developmental process... so there seems to be an implied play of "destiny" in the dialogue, but I wonder if there is also a play of "free-will"... is a person's "soul-mate" pre-determined in a life-time, or can the display of particular persons as the "soul-mate" be uncertain until the moment of union as soul mates?

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Destiny

#9 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:30 pm

Dear Brother Phillip!

To me it seems that when we speak of something as “destined” it means that it is probable, but as we know certainty and uncertainty interact in the matrix of creation – there is a vast play of cosmic and spiritual forces, and a play of free will within sentient beings. Save perhaps in the case of souls of very lofty grades – fully realized individuals, the principle of uncertainty is always present. Add more than one individual and the play of uncertainty increase, or so it would seem.

The discussion of predestination is complex, subtle and sublime; if we were to look and see from the perspective of the eternal realm, everything is predestine because there is no past, present and future, only the eternal now – everything that has or will transpire is now.

From the perspective of various metaphysical dimensions, spiritual, causal, higher vital, mental and astral, to varying degrees things may be spoken of as predestined, as what transpires in the material dimension happens first in the inner dimensions and to various degrees is orchestrated from the inner dimensions.

Yet, there is a play of free will, and we may say there is a mixture of providence, fate and random chance in what transpires. According to the masters of the tradition, the more we draw upon our Holy Neshamah and enact our True Will, the more we transcend the dominion of fate and random chance and enter into the Sphere of Divine Providence and Grace – destiny. If the meeting and union of soul mates is dependent upon their drawing in the influence of their Neshamah and engaging in the activity of their True Will, then their union becomes destined – a movement of Divine Providence and Grace.

Remember, however, that soul mate can meet in this life, but not be blessed to unite; and uniting they could very well not complete the action of their union in this life – there are many possibilities, as many as we can image and more.

May we be blessed to abide in the Sphere of Divine Providence; amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “Christian Kabbalah”