The Rite of Circumcision

Moderator: Tau Malachi

Jordan

The Rite of Circumcision

#1 Postby Jordan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Quick question-

In reading the story of Abraham recently and thinking of the Jewish custom of circumcision I came to wonder whether or not the Kabbalah has associated this rite with the Sefira of Yesod. As used in story of Abraham, it seems that Abraham's circumcision was an implementation of the covenant, which might at this point might refer to the uplifting of Malkut. The Covenant gives blessings in exchange for obedience, which seems to point to Malkut being prepared and expanded, if only on an individual level. The blessings are a flow of supernal light. Yesod, being associated with the phallus, then sheds a protective layer of klippot allowing this new flow of supernal light to enter into Malkut and deliver the blessings of the covenant promise.

Any thoughts?

Blessings and Shalom,

Jordan.
"O God, I will sing You a new song, sing a hymn to You with a ten-stringed harp"- Psalm 144:9

Marion

circumcision and purification

#2 Postby Marion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:56 pm

Shalom Jordan,

Yes, actually, circumsision does have a corresondance to Yesod in the Tradition, naturally, because as you say, Yesod corresponds to the genitalis when the tree of Life os placed on the human body.

It is interesting when we look at circumcision in the Torah and Midrashim(legends and stories of the Torah) It is really first discussed with Abraham. When Abraham is 99 years old God Almighty (El Shaddai) appears to him, and says "...Walk in my ways and be blamless. I will establish my covenant between me and you, and I will make you exceedingly numerous." This is also when Abram and Sarai's names change to Abraham and Sarah. Then Abraham circumcises himself and all of the men in his household, according to what the Lord God had said, and on the third day of the healing process, the 3 angels appear to him.
So it seems that we may see in this story a purification of Abram and Sarai, the circumcision seems to be tailismatic of this. It is interesting to note in this regard that before Abraham is circumcised, he lays with Haggar, Sarai's handmaiden, and she gives birth to Ishmael. Only after he is circumcised, can Sarah one give birth, and two give birth to their true sucessor in the lineage, Issac. Therefore, we see very clearly in this story that circumcision is about purification.

In this regard, in the Sophian Tradition, we talk about a circumcision of the heart, which may be applied to man and women alike. The "foreskin" of our unreal desires and thoughts are cut away like a husk to reveal the sweet nut of out true desire. Therefore, fundamentaly what we are talking about is a purification of our desire energy. Because in the old covenant, the male member is a tailisman of desire energy on the body. So we then know that in order to experience union with the Divine, all of the klippot of unreal desires must be stripped away to reveal this one desire, the Desire for the Holy One. We can also see this in the story of Abraham because after Abraham is circumcised one gets the sense that he experiences new heights of conciousness, the feeling of the story changes at this point rather dramatically.

With regards to circumcision it is interesting to note that both Adam and Enoch were born circumcisied, and so I wonder, as Gnostic Christians if we could say that Yeshua was also born circumcisied?

You may also wish to look at the book Gates of Light by Rabbi Gikatilla in the Chapter on Yesod (Ch. 2) there are some exellent insights! also the chapter on Yesod in Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ by Tau Malachi might yeld some interesting contemplations... (especially the diologue on death and dying as it relates to circumcision :-) and I belive there is a post called "Milah: the sign of the covanent" that might also be helpful.

Blessings and Shalom!

Marion

Return to “Christian Kabbalah”