Hearing Ma's Voice

Yonah

Hearing Ma's Voice

#1 Postby Yonah » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 am

A very dear friend of mine recently wanted to talk about knowing when we truly hear the will of God. It was a really good discussion because it made me think quite a bit about what this really means and how we know that it is truly God’s voice.

I’ve seen those from the fundamentalist traditions who believe they are the only ones that hear God’s voice and know God’s will. To me this is completely false. When anyone thinks they are the only one who can hear God or truly know God’s will that is a warning sign to me that they are listening to ego instead of the Holy One. I believe that all beings have access to God’s voice and God’s will if we only listen and hear. This is why Yeshua references “those that have ears to hear”. It means those that are open and sensitive to the Spirit’s voice. People that are open do not come in a particular denomination, religion, race, creed, sexual orientation, gender, etc. It’s about spirit not details.

The point here is that to hear God’s voice we have to listen. That means we need to be practicing through prayer and meditation to make ourselves open to hear Ma’s voice. If we’re not actively trying to listen the less chance we will receive the true message that is intended.
So, how do we know when we are actually hearing the voice of God and it’s not something inside us or something speaking to us that we really don’t want to listen to? That is the ultimate question and not completely simple. When I think I’ve heard the voice of God, I ask myself the following questions:

1. Is it something that falls into Compassion (not mercy or severity)?
2. Is it something Yeshua or Magdalene would do/say/etc?
3. Is the intent ego neutral – not stroking me or tearing me down?

If any of those questions are “No” then I know that it’s probably not the will of God or at the very least I’ve distorted the message in some way. If the message does fit all criteria then I try to wait a few days to make sure that I still feel like I’m hearing the same message and it’s not something that is transitory. Obviously if it’s God’s will it will stay true over time. Even then I can’t be sure, but I step out into faith and do what I think I’m supposed to. If I find I’m wrong, it’s about going back to listening and being open.

The other thing to keep in mind is that just because you have a message doesn’t necessarily mean someone else with a different opinion isn’t hearing God’s voice too. This may seem contradictory, but the will and message is definitely for the individual. Unless we are given a message to pass to someone else, the message is usually pretty specific to us. So, others may not hear exactly the same thing. If someone comes to me and says they’ve heard God’s will and they want my opinion, I give them the same advice I give myself on asking the questions above and waiting for consistency. It is then up to them to decide where to go from there.

Recently Tau Malachi and I had a brief discussion on how sometimes we may be given a direction that is ultimately not where we need to be, but it is necessary to get us to that final destination. I think of my calling to be a Pastor in the very strict Christian Tradition I belonged to years ago. I know that was the voice of Ma, but it turned out not to be the end product. There was no context at the time to hear that I should be a Gnostic. Instead, I was drawn to study and receive a Master’s degree and pursue being a Pastor until the time was right to leave that Tradition and find my true place in the Sophian Tradition. So, was original call wrong? No, it was Ma’s will because it ultimately got me where I needed to be.

The biggest thing to remember is we are not perfect. This means that we may make mistakes and act contrary to what the Mother has for us. It’s important to not give up. It is too often that someone makes a mistake in judgment and then gives up thinking they’ll never get it right. The answer is to look at what in us pushed us in the wrong direction, how to see it in the future, and then go back to listening for what God has for us. I will freely admit that I’ve strayed by letting my ego do the listening instead of my true self. These lessons have taught me to never give up, but to keep learning and keep striving for God’s true will.

Blessings, +Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

clarity of voice

#2 Postby Elder Sarah » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Shalom +Yonah!

I really enjoy your insights here. This is a great question and is one we each face in every moment. I am reminded as read your post, that to learn to hear the true voice of the Mother Spirit is also the ability to discern forces.

The Mothers voice comes in a multiplicity of ways. The voice can be still and silent, it can be a booming awareness, it can be an actual voice of a friend or even a stranger. So too, can the movement of forces here. Here, a variety of forces can move through beings, they can be divine, admixed or dark and hostile. It seems, the ability to hear the voice of the spirit is dependent upon what is moving through us at any given moment.

One key for me is to look and see what something invokes in me. How does it make me feel? What situations and circumstances transpire in and around what I am encountering? Does the situation repel beings or does it draw them in? By watching to see what is invoked, the force moving or the voice speaking becomes very clear.

I also think about clarity of voice, which reminds of clarity in prayer. In the Gospel of Phillip we learn to “Ask of the Mother Spirit and she will give to you from the alien realm”. Often it seems we have difficulty discerning the voice of the Mother Spirit because in our own selves we are not clear. The strength of our own voice is the strength of the Mothers voice. Prayer is often not heard because we are not praying hard enough. By hard enough we could say clear enough. We are basically not saying exactly what we want therefore we are receiving admixture as an answer. By finding clarity within, the Mother Spirit can reflect that same clarity without.

May we be blessed to speak and hear the clarity of voice!

Many Blessings and Shalom!
Sarah+

Marion

Our Will Gods Will

#3 Postby Marion » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

Shalom Yonah and Sarah!

Ironically I was just contemplating this last night :-)
I love the suggestion that in order to hear, we must get quiet. I have found that this is absolutely essential. Even is we feel crazy and literally every minute of our day is planed and we are up from dawn to midnight. We need to give ourselfs permission to just be for 5 or 10 minutes. This permission was been very powerful a few weeks ago. Per the suggestion of Gideon, he said sometimes in life we cant sit for a long time every day, so you have to take advantage of the time you do have. Even if its while you're eating or in the bathroom! Once this awareness is there, we start to notice many little moments where we can engadge the practice of listening and hearing.

Another thing that I notice that comes up is we will often think when we hear "Gods will" that it is somehow opposed to what we truly desire. Granted, it may be different than what we are doing right now in the world. But if what we are doing right now is causing sorrow and suffering why wouldn't we want to change that? This klippot enters in and we start to think that if we truly follow the voice of Ha-Shem that we won't get what we want in life. Now, you have to ask why would God want us to be unhappy? Who does want us to be unhappy? so, this voice must not be the word of God, it must come from the other side.

Also helpful for me has been recognizing if it is really hard, things aren't flowing, I am unhappy, this is not the will of God and it is time for a change. I heard a beautiful teaching on this subject. The will of God is that we be most truly ourselfs. If we are most truly who and what we really are, doesn't that embrace my will and desires and Gods will and desire? perhaps this is what is meant by the teaching in the tradition "If my will becomes Gods will, then Gods will becomes my own.

Blessings and Shalom,

May we be empowered to know who and what we most truly are! Amen.

Doug M

A Question to Pose

#4 Postby Doug M » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:56 am

Brother Mark -

I really enjoyed and appreciated your post on this topic. Your voice on this matter presents as the spirit of true humility, and I was reminded by your words of the beatitude "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven."

Listening and being receptive, as you have adeptly pointed out, is key. In my experience, I have also found that a simple internal question to cut through the klippot and beguilement of this realm is often helpful - "What is speaking here?" In other words, what is the key or tenor of the energy or force we are encountering? Is it angry, compassionate, patient, defensive, self-promoting, loving? This single simple question often helps get beneath the surface intent or appearance and with prayer and continued receptivity, allows for discernment to arise and the necessary response at the interior level to be forthcoming.

Shalom and blessings,

Doug

Yonah

#5 Postby Yonah » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:33 am

Thank you all for your insights here! I've learned a lot from reading your replies.

Elder Sarah - Thank you so much for the reminder on the different ways the Mother speaks to us and the forces that move within. These are really important things to keep in mind. I know from experience that it's easy to get fixated on one type of hearing and ignoring others...

Sister Marion!
The will of God is that we be most truly ourselfs.

Thank you for this reminder too!!! So often I think we fear that God's will will be something that is really hard and impossible in our lives. It's beautiful to know that Ma will keep making us more of what we already are.

Brother Doug - I really liked your question:
"What is speaking here?"

Sometimes I don't think we even think about it hard enough to ask that question. But if we don't... we are really missing the point. This pulls back to Elder Sarah's comment about forces. Is it us, God, or some force speaking through us? Isn't it important to ask that question???

Again, thank you all! This has helped me on my journey.
Shalom, +Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

ChristosPhero

#6 Postby ChristosPhero » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 am

Greetings in the Light of the Messiah!

Thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts! The subject of spiritual discernment has been a topic of meditation as of late. By reading through ‘ST. Mary Magdalene: The Gnostic Tradition of the Holy Bride’ one became more attentive to the subject after reading “The Prophet Who Was Slain”. “The Prophet Who Was Slain” was a story about the archangel Gabriel disclosing the mysteries of the coming Messiah, mysteries of the Bridegroom and, Holy Bride. The prophet thought that Gabriel was a demon deceiving him and called upon the name of the Lord to banish him. As the story goes, Gabriel transformed into a great dragon and devoured the prophet who refused to receive the Wisdom of God. Upon reflection, one began to look inward to all the experiences which one did not allow to transpire due to being unaware of intention and became closed in the heart.

It was not until reading “A Dangerous Friend” did one find peace in my ability of spiritual discernment. Mary was asked about what the Lord Yeshua Messiah was like. Within her reply it was said, “It was impossible to manipulate him, because he followed the Holy Spirit and did what he saw the Living Father doing”. For me, this was the root my personal contemplation; the fear or illusion of being manipulated by the Demiurgos or lack of consciousness on the matter. This was the truth sought in written form to restore confidence.

Further, for inquiring minds to contemplate on spiritual discernment: Mary said,
“There are many gods and goddesses with great power, and all manner of spirits that have secret knowledge, yet the power that is in you is greater and the knowledge you possess is more rare and precious. I tell you, great and luminous beings shall come seeking power and knowledge from you. See that you give to all who ask and withhold only from those who come to steal, and those who receive let worship the Anointed of God Most High”.

Shalom.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

In the journey...

#7 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Greetings in the light of the Messiah, and welcome to our online community dear brother – it is good to see you here!

At the outset of our awakening and in early mystical experiences, naturally we are likely to encounter various obstructions, various distortions, for at the outset there are many impurities in our consciousness; we arise from a desire to receive for self alone, in self-grasping and the play of egoistic desires and fears, and we have many preconceptions, preconditions and expectations that are false, born of ignorance. Thus, at first, generally speaking, we either experience aversion, concepts and vital recoil obstructing the greater unfolding of our experience, or we experience attachment, mental excitement and vital intoxication, and grasping in this way we may become too focused on our own subjective experience, and become puffed up, or a bit too full of ourselves, which also obstructs the greater unfolding of our experience; whether into aversion or attachment, we all tend to fall into this in some of our initial spiritual and mystical experiences, and so there are obstructions, distortions, that occur.

In this, perhaps, we might understand why the Threefold Rite of Initiation is given as the gate of entering into the Christian stream of Light Transmission; hence baptism, anointing and wedding feast. Baptism corresponds with self-purification, and we may say there is a need for ongoing self-purification, releasing self-grasping, and egoistic desire and fear. Joined with this there is anointing, which corresponds with self-consecration, or self-dedication to Christ and God, which, like self-purification, is an ongoing process as we journey in the Gospel and labor to embody a greater perfection in Christ. Then there is the wedding feast, the feast of bread and wine, which corresponds with our awareness, remembrance, of our innate perfection and unity in Christ and God, the True Light, dispelling the delusion of lack, or illusion of separation, through which all obstructions or distortions arise.

Thus, in terms of entering into deeper spiritual and mystical experience, or a deeper communion with the Living Christ and Holy Spirit, there is a need in every cycle of our journey for ongoing self-purification, self-consecration and remembrance of the Truth and Light, Christ within and ever beyond us. In this there is a guardianship and a clarification of our spiritual and mystical experiences.

Joined with this, sacred friendship with a living tzaddik or apostle, and involvement in spiritual community are also a guardianship and clarification, for there is not only our spiritual and mystical experiences, or our own dreams and visions, but there is the direct experience of the Living Christ and Holy Spirit with our sacred friend and community, and thus our direct experience is part or a larger direct experience, a larger knowledge, understanding and wisdom of the Risen Christ.

Through our sacred friend and community we receive the outer form of the Threefold Rite, but there is also an inner form we may receive – Light Transmission; this is communicated through a mystic word, radiant holy breath and the laying on of hands, and it is an energetic transmission that naturally serves to clarify and deepen our communion with the Living Christ and Holy Spirit.

There is, in truth, an ongoing play of Light Transmission beyond this, and this Light Transmission is true spiritual empowerment for the unfolding of an actual self-realization in Christ.

It is all about a journey in the Gospel, or living in Christ, of course, and it is important that we do not get caught up on where we may have committed errors in the past, but rather to learn and grow from our errors and various experiences, focused on the present, looking forward, letting Christ and the Holy Spirit lead us into greater and greater perfection, greater and greater spiritual illumination.

It is in my heart to start a discussion within the “Secret Gospel of St. Mary Magdalene” forum on the story of the “prophet who was slain.” I’m focused on some other writings at present, but there are many teachings within and behind that story, much that can be shared; when I get the opportunity I’ll share some of the teachings. We have just started a periodic meeting in our circle to explore the deeper teachings in the book “St. Mary Magdalene,” and as we do this, no doubt our discussions will be flowing out into the forums and into our online community; this will likely include the sharing of more stories of the Holy Mother and Holy Bride from our oral tradition, because what is recorded in the book is, in fact, something like the “tip of the iceberg.” There are many, many more stories and teachings of the Magdalene in our oral tradition, and by nature of a living tradition, living revelation, there are new stories emerging all of the time in our experience.

Once again dear brother, welcome to our online community; you will be in my prayers.

Peace be with you!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

PaulKruse

#8 Postby PaulKruse » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Peaceful greetings in the name of all that is good and just, full of grace, love, and tender loving mercy.

What a blessing and a joy it was to read each and every post above, for I could relate them all to various stages of my own personal path. Then Malachi summed it up so excellently.

For many years my path wandered through the Roman church, to various Pentecostal and Charismatic churches, and then to a long wandering in the Southern Baptist organization. I was ever seeking and never finding what I was looking for, but each was extremely important to bring me to where I am today. Now I’m under the spiritual mentorship of Sister Anna, and I’m blessed beyond measure.

For many years I wrestled with how to know for sure when I hear the voice of my God. It was a great blessing and joy to become familiar with the forth chapter of I John in the canonized scripture. We are told to try all spirits. Two verses in that chapter have served as “bumper sticker” verses and have been presented as the true “test of the spirits” by the orthodox community. But they miss the point because the whole chapter is the test. The first question is to ask if what I hear is consistent with the magnificent and unlimited unconditional love of my Messiah? It will either be that, or it will serve the purposes of my own proud ego, or the ego of whoever is speaking. I took that to mean that anything associated with ego and pride is not from the correct source. Or perhaps my ego distorted and twisted what I heard to suit my own selfish purposes.

But these days, I pray loudly every day for Wisdom, Understanding, and Knowledge to understand and to do what I need to do, and I ask for help in getting it done. I often ask for boldness to take action. I pray to be ever more aware of the Holy Spirit within and all around me, my Christ presence that the canonized scriptures call my “hope of glory.” I pray for clean and clear instructions regarding what I should do and what I should not do. Then I simply wait. It will come. But until it comes, I do nothing. If clarification comes, then I know what I’ve truly heard. Or sometimes the idea will simply pass away to be replaced with something else. That is OK, too.

But this one thing I know and have no doubt at all about: I will always have what I need, when I need it. It has always worked out that way and I have no reason to doubt that this will continue to be so. Not only that, but it will probably be better and more magnificent than I expected or imagined.

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”