When practice astounds

Coop

When practice astounds

#1 Postby Coop » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Shalom everyone!

Here's a question i recently asked of a friend. Thought I'd see if anyone else has had this experience, and what their thoughts are.

I've had two particularly strong results from practices (strong, relative to my personal experience). And while I was fascinated and astounded both times, afterwards I stopped doing those particular practices! You might think I'd do just the opposite!

My question is: What is up with that???

---------

Since posting this querie a couple days ago, at first in another section, I've found that simply bringing this thought out has spurred a return to practices I had let go of. That, plus recent discussions about specific practice, particuarly positive affirmations.

I'm going to venture that the call to practice ebbs and flows, and staying connected to the energy of a spiritual community reminds us of the benefits, stirs our spirit to return seeking union through certain spiritual practices.

Blessings,
Coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Backward and Downward Pull

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:31 am

Greetings Coop!

Indeed, when we find we are stuck being able to express the "stuckness" without self-judgment can work wonders. It seems to be an esoteric quality of "confessing" and "repentance" removed from the religious model. Likewise there is something to be said for contact with the energy-dimension of spiritual community and the energy the moves within and behind the imparting of teachings in the physical presence of a community and teacher: "Where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there," Lord Yeshua said.

There are many reasons why the phenomenon you mention might occur - the reasons may differ from person to person. Yet, in every case it reflects the backward and downward pull against which we naturally struggle in our labor of conscious development and evolution. Likewise it reflects that wherever light breaks forth there are spiritual forces that come to prevent any further ascent - things unresolved in us, as well as forces from beyond ourselves. The key is to use the priniciples of Perfect Success as laid out in Living Gnosis and apply them to one's continuum of spiritual practice.

Our intention is not religion, but spirituality, thus we do not wish to focus too much on the ebbs or missing the mark, but rather on restoration of the flow and adjustment of our aim so that we hit the mark. We learn through trial and error and all of our struggles - hence the view of Perfect Success in which there is no failure, only the play of progress and regress in a wave-like motion forward towards our ultimate success. In the midst of this a sense of humor will go a long way and prove helpful - not taking yourself too seriously.

Everyone experiences the backward and downward pull from time to time - karmic gravity, as Tau Elijah used to call it. Some times we just need a bit more fuel to restore ourselves to our orbit, sort of speak; hence we just need to know how to restore our inspiration and determination when necessary. Some times having a bit larger range of practices one knows can help in this, for one can shift between them as needed to maintain one's continuum - and some creativity in one's continuum of practice is good, learning how to adapt to the changes in the flow of what's happening in oneself and one's life.

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Marion

a wave like motion.

#3 Postby Marion » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:04 pm

Dear Coop and Malachi!

I remember after about a year and a half of being on the path and daily practice I felt like 'yes! I'm finally generating some substantial energy' I was actualy feeling preety good you know?
Then it all went to hell, (At least in my mind) energy dropped and I could no longer concentrate as well, an dI totaly freaked out, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I thought I was doing it wrong or something.
But the funny thing was, a few days later in Discourse Malachi was talking about the importance of not freaking out when practice seems not to go so well. Because, he said in truth, we are not doing the practice, the anointed and mother spirit is through us. One is merely acting as a vehicle. Then There was a realisation of the grevious error it was to think that "I" was the one who was generating this energy. because if you think about it that is totaly ridiculous. The only reason I even knew these practices was because of my Tzaddik, and without my Tzaddik, spiritual community and the energy that moves through these things there would be no energy moving through the practices anyway.
The other funny thing was that a few months later Michael brought up "Goal practicing" which is where one practices to acheive spititual gifts or talents, or because it's what a "real spiritual person is supposed to do" or one says, "Ok now I HAVE to practice, or Ought to practice or Should practice." as if it's a chore or something. And I realised that I was doing all of these things, which is probabaly why the energy in practice died down anyway. Which goes back to not being the doer in practice. Because if one is going to accomplish something in practice, one is certainly being the doer. Because if one has no real need to accomplish anything then why does one need to do anything? why can't one just open ones heart and mind to the holy spirit?
Another thing Irealised in a recent ebb in the energy in practice i sthat there are ebbs and flows. And one must ride and take advantage of the flows and perhaps in an ebb there is some tikkune (healing) to be done or perhaps it is just one of those times. It happends in life too, There are good times and there are not so good times. I suppose the question is can one remain lucid and see the ebbs and flows for what they are. A continuum of waves in the sea of consciousness. But you know the great thing about ebbs? They always turn into flows and they facilitate a greater flow next time 'round.

All blessings to You!
Marion

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Practice

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:47 am

Greetings Marion!

Indeed, the practice is opening the mind and heart to the Anointed and Mother Spirit, drawing oneself into alignment and harmony with the Divine. Hopefully we know when to drop the practice and abide, and just the same, hopefully, we know when to take up the practice - all as necessary. However, we must get out of the religious mind-set of "ought" and "should," for it is a poison to us and not helpful at all.

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Child of Light

#5 Postby Child of Light » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:43 pm

"When the student is ready, the Teacher will appear."??

How many times have I either said or heard those words? And they are as true today as when they were first spoken.

I found Tau Malachi and "The Gnostic Gospel of Saint Thomas" at a wicca bookshop in a small community in Texas. I was as surprised as anyone that you would be THERE. Who would have thought?

I have been living outside the confines of "organized" religion for many years and have walked mostly alone because I found so few who understood what I knew in my heart was True. I read many books, my teachers along the path. I did work shops. I expanded and grew but still longed for a community that thought as I thought and believed as I believed. And I found you in a little wicca bookstore in Texas.

Thank you for putting the words of my heart on a page and expanding them so I could grow. Thank you for the Light of Truth that springs from the pages, making my heart sing and my ruach sigh. Thank you for showing me that there are others who are there to assist me in my journey. I knew I was not alone, and it is GREAT to know that I can read, listen and learn the steps that are before me as I walk the Path of Enlightenment so that the Light can shine through me and perhaps another will come and be a relieved as I was.

Eternal blessings and gratitude that the Teacher should appear through Tau. The student is ready.

Child of Light (A name I chose before I read it in your book :) [/u][/url]

Coop

#6 Postby Coop » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:55 pm

Shalom Child of Light!

As much as I also enjoy the "Gnostic Gospel of St. Thomas," I suspect that Light of Truth you mention didn't leap off the pages, but was drawn forth from your insides. The sayings and commentary have a way of stirring one's inner wisdom. ;)

Many blessings,
coop
"The Universe is a big place -- perhaps the biggest." -- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

lleyr

#7 Postby lleyr » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:31 am

Greetings All,
This thread brings up a contemplation that I have had.

I have heard gnostics (not Sophians) claim that "one can not gain gnosis through any type of writing or teaching. It has to come from within."

Now in actuality I agree with this stament. I don't believe that a written or oral word will bring about gnosis... it must be the work of the Mother Spirit and our desire. But... the problem is some will become almost fanatical about not reading or seeking a teacher because they do not consider it true gnosis.

My belief is that writtings, teachings, and even our path is a vehicle. This means that it may not be the cause of enlightenment, but it certainly can get us thinking, feeling, wanting in the right direction. It gives us a starting point and a framework for gnosis to grow.

Blessings, Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Drawing from the well

#8 Postby Tau Malachi » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:13 am

Greetings Brother Mark!

It is true, the gnosis proper does not come from a books or a teacher, but from within, from the Anointed and Mother Spirit; yet books can facilitate a drawing forth of gnosis from within us, and and experienced teacher and guide can serve to facilitate the Gnostic and Light Transmission (rather like a midwife helps a mother giving birth). It is quite strange that in all other areas of human study and exploration the need for an education is perfectly clear, but in terms of the spiritual field of study this resistance to an education can be so strong. Is it wisdom or folly, is it inspired by the Spirit or by the egoistic self?

I wonder, if I cannot receive help from sources made manifest by the Spirit, can I truly and fully receive the Spirit directly in such a way as to bring Self-realization to fruition in this life?

We may use St. Paul as an example, for before his experience of the Risen Savior, he received teachings from a Jewish teacher, who it is said was also a Jewish mystic of the time. After Divine Grace moved, he also sought out some help grounding the transmission he received.

Ultimately, there is little I'm inclined to say to this, for it simply does not make any sense at all. A spiritual education is necessary for any real progress in Self-realization, and it seems only wise that we seek to learn about discoveries of those in the field of spirituality who explored the path before us. It seems to me that a sincere aspirant/practitioner will seeking to glean knowledge, understanding and wisdom from anywhere he or she can acquire it, both inwardly and outwardly, and I'd have to question the "aspiration" when that's not the case - its simply common sense.

May the Mother bless us to receive in full, and empower us to share in full, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Tamara

#9 Postby Tamara » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi, Mark,
I'm going to jump into this conversation very late, but I think you're asking a very important question. The issue of whether one needs external spiritual instruction gets debated hotly in a lot of circles these days.

I think that our development absolutely comes from within our own being (and we could have a whole conversation about what THAT means!) but if we could be enlightened without the "external" catalysts of written teaching and a relationship with a teacher, I suspect we'd all be there already.

I think some of our resistance to working with a teacher comes from the American emphasis on equality of persons. But would you really want to set out on a journey in completely unknown territory without a map and without a guide to tell you where the swamps are and what plants and animals are safe or dangerous? When we set out on a serious spiritual path, we're really in territory that we don't understand and there are both wonders and dangers on this path. We need guidance from someone who knows the territory.

It's also a very good thing to have that friend or mentor who can give us a little nudge when we get lazy or a gentle reminder when we get off track.

:)

Shalom,
Tamara
Student, tell me: what is God? The breath within the breath.

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Re-inventing the Wheel?

#10 Postby Elder Gideon » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:58 pm

Shalom Tamara!

Amen Sister! I'm an art educator of high-school aged people and this entire tension between equality of beings lives even in the classroom. The sciences, being of a more empirical kind of knowledge don't seem to evoke the question of the need of teacher as do the language and visual arts, which, being more experiential and somewhat more subjective can quickly create tensions between teacher and student.

The trickery here is how ego inconsistently asserts itself in any endeavor, often unaware of the greater reality of all beings, human, animal and such who have gone before. The most practical example is the ego which will ignore all who have prepared and provided the food that magically appears in a grocery store. Shall I build my own car or home? Appliances? Internet technologies? Any scientific, cultural or creative endeavor relies entirely upon all elders and their discoveries before us. The personality that might claim, "But this is my path" or "This is how I express myself" ignores the legacy of others who've laid the road on which the student is already walking!

How much more true is the support of spiritual masters and adepts who walk from a vision of experience! Acknowledging a teacher, for me, is acknowledging all which already supports me. Gratitude is venturing forward where all before me have left off, namely, this very moment. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

May all who sincerely wish to make a difference in this world begin on the ground of all who've made the difference for us!

Amen!

Brothersmiley

Kat

#11 Postby Kat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 pm

Shalom all,

This is an interesting topic the need to have a Spitual Teacher. An essential part of the path to gnowsis is knowing oneself. Part of this is knowing a Spiritual language in which one communicates with ones soul. We are complicated beings with comlpicated minds, to sojourn the path without guidance is like forgetting the map. It takes energy and Divine assistance which a Master gives that is a priceless gift. Also the help of Spirtual freinds and community helps to keep us conected to the Mother Spirit when sharing spiritual discourse. Early on the path it is the energy we need from our Master, then we learn to generate the energy ourselves.

Yeheshua had a Master, John the Baptist. It just goes to show you that even one as enlightened as Yeheshua needed the Blessings of his Master. It is not a weakness to need a Master, rather it is like needing a flying instructor to teach you to fly a plane. You can't just read the manual and expect to know how to fly the plane. I am just repeating what Micheal was saying but really having a Master is more than just having a flight instructor. There are many flight insrtuctors in this world but a Master is a really rare Being. To know the inner Tzaddik, we start by befreinding the outer Tzaddik.

Shalom,
Kat

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

A Spiritual Education

#12 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:17 pm

Greetings everyone!

It seems to me that the debate regarding whether or not one needs spiritual education from an external source, or whether or not it is good to rely upon the assistance of a spiritual teacher and guide, stems from misconceptions of the role of the teacher and guide, as well as a lack of experience, and a lack of openness and honesty with ourselves – and certainly reflects the strength of egotism in our modern society and culture.

On the issue of our need to feel “equal” we may say this: In the Light, in God we are all equal, and in potential, as sentient beings, we are all equal – there is an underlying equality of being that is universal. Yet, in actualization and realization, we are not all equal, neither are we all equal in capacities and talents, whether material, psychic or spiritual. There are two principle forms of arrogance. One form is that thought, “I am better than everyone else,” and the other is, “everyone is equal to me – everyone is the same as me.” Both of these reflect a kind of arrogance and pose an obstruction to the Light Transmission, just as do the mental concepts “I know” and “I do not know,” as mentioned at the outset of the Melchizedek Teachings in our lineage.

It may well be that, here and there, we may find a extremely rare individual, who is a soul of a very lofty grade, who may not need to rely so much on anything external to unfold an advanced state of Self-realization; but such rare individuals certainly have relied upon teachers and guides, and spiritual education in previous incarnations. Just as characters like Albert Einstein are very rare in science, the same may be said of the equivalent in spirituality. We are not all equal in our capacity to know and understand physics (or any other subject of mundane human studies and endeavors), and likewise, we are not all equal in our capacity to know and understand metaphysics (or spirituality). Einstein did not go to college – but he was a very rare and exceptional person, to say the least!

The question of whether or not we need to rely on a teacher and guide, and whether or not we need a spiritual education from an external source, seems to be a question of what we desire from our spiritual life and practice, and an honest evaluation of our capacity and talents. Generally speaking, if we are simply seeking a Spirit-connection and a bit of spirituality in our lives, then the need for a spiritual teacher and guide, and a more formal spiritual education, is not so critical. However, if we are seeking a more radical transformation in consciousness and advanced stages of Self-realization, then relying on a spiritual teacher and a good spiritual education becomes significantly more important. It is all a question of what we are seeking and our actual capacity, plain and simple.

A wise and intelligent person, quite simply, is going to seek out whatever help is necessary to accomplish their aim – he or she is going to do whatever it takes to fulfill his or her will/desire.

Our own lineage tends to rely upon the tzaddik (spiritual teacher and guide) and spiritual community, and places emphasis upon a sound spiritual education, but these must be understood in their proper context. The tzaddik is a sacred friend who serves as a midwife to the Mother Spirit as she gives birth to Christ in us – the Mother Spirit gives birth to Christ in us, and we cooperate with the Mother Spirit through the dynamic surrender of the spiritual life and practice, and the tzaddik is an experienced teacher and guide in this process, having gone through it her or himself. Unlike many of the Eastern gurus that come to teach us, the Gnostic teacher does not put her or himself in the place of an intermediary between ourselves and God, nor put her or himself off as “God” – she or he simply seeks to facilitate our Self-realization process, one grounded in our own experience of the Truth and Light. The tzaddik shares spiritual teachings and practices with us – keys through which Gnosis might be made manifest, and the tzaddik gives some essential instruction and guidance in the spiritual life and practice, and may impart helpful spiritual energies to us, and may serve as a vehicle of Initiation. Essentially, she or he seeks to help us draw out the Light that is within us, and to recognize and realize the Inner Tzaddik (Christ in us). The same is true of our spiritual community – our sisters and brothers labor with us in the Great Work, and serve to encourage and support us. As for our spiritual education, this is a symbolic and mystical language through which we might actualize the Fiery Intelligence within us and entertain a more refined and more conscious communion with the Divine. Likewise, it is the sharing of teachings and practices through which we might enter into the Gnostic experience; hence, a vehicle through which we might draw out That Which Is within us.

All of this, however, serves to encourage support our own spiritual life and practice, and it is through our own spiritual life and practice that Self-realization in Christ transpires, all by way of Divine Grace. If we do not take up the spiritual life and practice, then our sacred friendship with our tzaddik, involvement with spiritual community, and whatever spiritual education we might possess will accomplish little or nothing at all. In the end it is all about the spiritual life and practice through which we become open and sensitive to Divine Grace and allow her to work with, in and through us to accomplish the Great Work.

There is something more to be said within and behind all of this, however, something most important to the Great Work; something essential to the continued growth and evolution of humanity on Planet Earth. You see, our work together with teachers and guides, and our work in spiritual community, is not simply an issue of our own individual progress towards Self-realization in Supernal or Christ Consciousness, but rather is also an issue of this Self-realization in a larger segment of collective humanity; hence, our labor in the “harvest of souls towards the Second Coming.” While working as isolate individuals we can certainly serve to bring forth Light and Love in the world, our capacity to do so through group work is significantly greater. Thus, when we co-labor and co-create with experienced spiritual teachers, and entertain group spiritual work in community, we serve to embody a greater manifestation of the Gnostic and Light Transmission for the sake of all our relations – all sentient beings. The Love of Christ, quite naturally, brings us together in the Great Work – it naturally leads to sacred friendships and the building of community, and becomes expressed as a deep desire for connectivity and active compassion.

The spiritual work of a Gnostic lineage, or a Gnostic Circle or Gnostic Church, is something more than our own individual enlightenment – it is the enlightenment of all sentient beings, and the “resurrection and ascension of this Good Earth,” as said in the Sophian Tradition.

What is a Gnostic teacher or Gnostic priest/priestess? As in any other field of significant human study and endeavor, he or she is a specialist we may rely on, and quite naturally, in spiritual community, we hope there are skilled specialists who can help facilitate and guide a group work that might be of greater benefit.

What is a Gnostic Circle or Gnostic Church? On the one hand, it is a Mystery School in which we receive our spiritual education and acquire of keys to Divine Gnosis; but on the other hand, it is a Generator of Light-power in the world, an active spiritual service that co-labors with the Mother Spirit for the enlightenment and liberation of all our relations.

Regardless of how “enlightened” we become, the suggestion that we have nothing more to learn from others, or nothing to gain from external sources, quite honestly strikes me oddly; there is something very wrong with that picture to me. Likewise, the suggestion that there is no need to engage in the spiritual labor together in groups, as much as individually on our own, seems sorely flawed to me. I deeply question the “spirit” that inspires such notions, as they contradict my life experience as a human being and my experience of the Gnostic Christian Path (as well as my experience of other authentic spiritual traditions around the world).

There is much that can be said on this subject – in truth it is rather complex, and has many different components. However, these are some thoughts that arose today as I read the recent posts on this subject, so I felt inclined to share them.

I pray for an open heart and mind, and the humility necessary to receive, as well as the balance of the spiritual self-worth to share, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Susan

The Light Transmission

#13 Postby Susan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Greetings to everyone in the Light of the Anointed!

May I offer these observations, based upon personal experience, regards the discussion on the merits or otherwise of needing a spiritual teacher?

How can a person, who would identify themselves as a Sophian Gnostic, not believe in the concept of the Light Transmission? And how can this transmission occur other than between two people - specifically a seeker on the Path towards their own Personal Transformation and a Tzaddick, who has already lived those levels of experience and has dedicated her/himself to illuminating the Path for other less experienced Truth seekers?

To deny the ancient lineage of the Light Transmission, that is at the heart of Sophian Gnosticism, seems to question the very legacy of our Beloved Yeshua Messiah and Kallah Messiah. And as a newcomer to this wonderful spiritual system of learning I can vouch from experience that Tau Malachi's written words, as per his published books and posts on this Forum, have been a vehicle of the Light Transmission for me. What a joyful thing it is to even write these words, let alone experience the life changing force of this fact every day! Many thanks to you my friend.

The Holy Spirit manifests in many, and in fact all-ways, if we have eyes to see and the Heart to Know Her presence. Our teacher can be a myriad of things everyday - the Holy Intention of the seeker is the key I believe and, as always, duality is the barrier to Oneness.

May we all thank the Mother Spirit through whose Grace we are led to a wise and loving teacher.

Shalom,

Susan

lleyr

#14 Postby lleyr » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:31 am

Greetings Susan!

I agree completely. I have never heard a Sophian say that we do not need a spiritual teacher, but I have heard some Gnostics claim that any knowledge that comes from book or teacher is invalid. To me, this is in a sense becoming a "fundamentalist" of a different sort. Because the Teacher and the books are not "the experience" they deny their validity. Of course, we know that without the books and the Teacher the experience is much harder to come by if not impossible.

Taking the human element out of spirituality is the relm of the Demiurge in my opinion. What is spirituality without the love and companionship of our spiritual community? It's like trying to practice a path of connectedness inside a box.

Blessings & Light, Mark

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Beyond the Box

#15 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:44 am

Greetings everyone!

Yes, indeed, generally speaking the Gnostic and Light Transmission occurs between an incarnate tzaddik and their spiritual friends and companions – it is as though when there is a holy intention, and the Desire to Receive and Desire to Impart are joined in this world, a circuit is formed, and Divine Grace flows. Yet, under certain conditions it is also possible that the Gnostic and Light Transmission can occur with a disincarnate tzaddik (an “inner plane adept or master”) or through a maggid (a divine being or holy angel of God). In fact, this is much like the way an incarnate tzaddik may serve as the agent of the Gnostic and Light Transmission to someone who has a strong heart connection to them, but who may live at a distance – it is a spiritual transmission that occurs via more subtle dimensions with those who are open and sensitive to it. If we can receive the Light Transmission at a distance from an incarnate tzaddik, then we may also receive it from a disincarnate tzaddik in the same way – it is all about our heart connection and our capacity to be open and sensitive to Divine Grace.

In the Book of Acts we have an example of the reception of the Light Transmission from a disincarnate tzaddik – the appearance of Master Yeshua to Saul, who becomes St. Paul the Apostle.

Essentially, our capacity to receive the Gnostic and Light Transmission is based upon our view and our faith – our sense of the Mystery. If we look and see a teacher as a learned individual, then we receive the blessing of a learned individual; if we view them as a prophet or apostle, then we receive the blessing of a prophet or apostle; if we view them as an embodiment of the Light-presence (Christ-presence), as an enlightened being, then we receive the blessing of an enlightened being. More than anything it is all about our own view and faith, and the degree to which we are able to open our mind and heart to the flow of Divine Grace.

In the midst of this play, however, it is essential that we are centered inwardly and remember the Light-presence and Light-power within us – the Inner Tzaddik; for it is the recognition and realization of the Inner Tzaddik that is the purpose of the Outer Tzaddik. Basically, the Outer Tzaddik reflects the Inner Tzaddik, and serves as a midwife drawing out the Light-presence and Light-power from within us. In the fruition of the Light Transmission we realize that the Outer Tzaddik and Inner Tzaddik are one and the same Light-presence (Christos).

We do not wish to get stuck on the personality and life-display of the tzaddik, but rather we wish to be aware of the Light-presence and Light-power within and behind the person of the tzaddik – it is the Light-presence (the indwelling Christ) that is the True and Holy Tzaddik, in our sacred friend and in ourselves.

It is perfectly true that gnosis is not what is written in a book, and is not what comes out of the mouth of a teacher – though what is written in a book or what is spoken by a teacher, among other things, can spark something of the Gnostic experience. There are many things that can spark something of the Gnostic experience, or that may serve to facilitate something of the Gnostic and Light Transmission; hence, many things that may serve to help us create the necessary conditions for Divine Grace to move with, in and through us. What we are talking about is really a movement of the Mother’s Force – Divine Grace, and it is Divine Grace that accomplishes the Great Work in us.

In my own experience with my Tzaddik, Tau Elijah Ben Miriam, I can say that a living tzaddik is definitely a center of this Divine Activity, and that there is a very distinct Light-presence and Light-power that moves with a living tzaddik. Yet in him what I witnessed was a human being who allowed himself to be transparent to the Light and who moved with the Holy Shekinah of Messiah – one who let himself be a vehicle or channel of Divine Grace, and who always directed our attention to El Elyon (God Most High), and to the Messiah and Mother Spirit. The same was true of Mother Sarah, who also served as Tzaddik to me. Unlike many Eastern gurus they did not put themselves off as “God come down,” nor did they put themselves in the place of intermediaries between me and God; rather, they spoke of the tzaddik as a midwife and sacred friend, and were very “down to earth” people – authentic human beings; and they always pointed me back to the indwelling Christ within myself, and the Cosmic Christ beyond myself.

I think one of the problems many individuals may have with the idea of a spiritual teacher comes from model presented to us by many of the Eastern “gurus” and from the abreactions of the principle of the spiritual teacher that have occurred with “cult leaders” who have brought great harm to people. I also have a problem with some of what I’ve seen and heard in this regard, but it has nothing to do with my experience with my spiritual teacher, which was founded upon the principle of spiritual friendship – sacred friendship in the love of Christ.

Though the role of the spiritual teacher may be important in our own tradition, nevertheless, if others are leery of spiritual teachers and alternative spiritual communities I believe it is important to respect their feelings – frankly, there can be good reason for such caution. Obviously, I encourage individuals to seek out a spiritual teacher and to participate in spiritual community, and I believe it is very important – to me it is the ideal situation for progress in an actual Self-realization. Yet, at the same time, I do not believe the sacred friendship and involvement in a mystical community is for everybody in this life, and I do respect and honor the feelings of those who are not inclined to it.

This is why I’m not inclined to take up an argument with someone about this, because our experiences can be so different from one another – I must encourage individuals to honor their own experience, I only ask that they honor and respect my experience in the same way they might ask me to honor and respect their own. In the end, in any discussion, I think we must return to the open heart of love and compassion, and honor and celebrate diversity of beliefs, practices and experiences. Even as mystics and gnostics we can easily fall into subtle, or not so subtle, fundamentalism – I certainly see this bestial tendency in myself. So at the end of any exchange, whether a person agrees with me or not, I like to consciously open my heart and wish them well, and envision their ultimate success – all in the Light. (I won’t say this is always easy, however, as there are times we can make this quite difficult for one another to do!)

In closing this post I’d have to remind that there are no “absolutes” as to how individuals may experience gnosis (or enter into the enlightenment experience): it is a largely relative affair, and just when one thinks one has the “rules” figured out, the Holy Spirit will definitely reveal and exception to those rules, and one will find oneself scrambling for a new paradigm to include what one has witnessed. It seems that no matter how big our box may be, God or Enlightenment is always bigger!

May the Mother Spirit lead us into Truth-Consciousness, each according to our Unique Essence, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

lleyr

#16 Postby lleyr » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:36 pm

Greetings Malachi!

And obviously with the dogmatism of my post I too fall into "fundamentalism" of my own kind from time to time.

Blessings,
Mark

Penelope

#17 Postby Penelope » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:41 pm

Greetings everyone,

I just had to jump into this discussion. Before I met Tau Malachi, I had no idea that there was a deep and rich spiritual tradition in the West. Alone in my spiritual seeking, my explorations were trial and error, and I read as much as I could find about spiritual ideas (some of which were very strange). Now, I’m not saying that my solo explorations were wasted. They did help to prepare the way. But deep within me was a longing for guidance and a teacher, I just never expected such a being to exist.

In 1992, I began Kabbalah classes presented by two of Tau Malachi’s students and was delighted and amazed. Through these classes, I recognized that I could get lost trying to follow the many directions this rich mystical study could lead and I needed a teacher. What a blessing to have met Tau Malachi! It was as if I had wandered my 40 years in the wilderness and finally found my home.

Also, I have a tendency to “see” what an actualization of a potential would be like, and not understanding that the “seeing” may be several years in the coming, try to actualize that potential future now. Wanting it in my time and not in the Mother’s timing. Ouch! Once I am able to talk about my difficulty (confess), Tau is able to guide me in redirecting my practice. I cannot count how often I have praised the Mother for my Tau, the teachings and my spiritual family.

I thought it might be useful to share my experience because our spiritual journey occurs in this physical and psychic world and this world puts up many illusions and obstacles. As with any other endeavor, an experienced guide and fellow travelers makes the journey so much smoother.

Blessings!
Penelope

beesofia

Meditation

#18 Postby beesofia » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:35 pm

Greetings Everyone-

I wanted to reply to what Coop and Marion said about meditation and Being/becoming "stuck".

I have been struggling with maintaining some sort of meditation practise-it seems as though this wall goes up when I think that I'm finally doing it. With this realization, my practise fizzles out, and I'm confused and disappointed with myself-thinking that I can't meditate because there's something wrong with me.

After reading what Marion wrote, an "Aha" moment-it's NOT about Me! - occured. Thank you so much Marion for sharing your insights, this is a tremendous gift of understanding for all facets of my seeming failure. Thank you Coop, Tau Malachi, Everyone! Reading the posts in this forum have helped alot.

Peace&Light-Lisa

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”