Running and Returning

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

Running and Returning

#1 Postby Elder Sarah » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 am

Shabbat Shalom!

Blessings on this day the Mother had made!

As we near the Feast of Lights, otherwise known as the Feast of the Baptist, there has been a brewing contemplation regarding the Navi, these Prophets of God and their way in crazy wisdom. This contemplation blends with a thought that looks into running and returning, a term we hear often in the tradition. The term "running and returning" can be interpreted as an idea used to express the movement of launching into certain Spiritual heights or raised states of consciousness and then drawing these back into our ordinary states of mind, into the consciousness with which we move through daily life. From this way of running and returning, it can often be heard that we are running from an ordinary, earthly state of mind, launching into Light Continuum and returning to the same earthly orientation. Though, upon contemplating and feeling the movement of the Prophets of God it appears these run and return from a different orientation. The orientation of a Prophet of God feels like an orientation that is coming from heaven, from Light Continuum. This is an orientation that begins in the Light Continuum, runs into the world and earthly consciousness, and returns to the Light Continuum. In this way, all that the Prophet does in connection with the people and the land is done from the view of Light Continuum.

Let us take into consideration the example we see in the Prophet Elijah. First, it must be noted, this Prophet just shows up in scripture out of nowhere. It is said he is a Tishbite, but unlike most individuals mentioned in scripture, nothing is said about his genealogy. Next thing we hear is him speaking a prophesy about a drought to come over the land. From this speaking he is called by the Lord to retreat to the Wadi Cherith and be fed by Ravens and drink from the Wadi. Next he is called to go to a Widow, be fed by her and eventually resurrect her son. From there he is called by the Lord to go to the king of the land and announce the end of the drought. In the midst of going to the king and the land he gets caught up with the Priest of Baal and ends up slaying every single one of them. Next the drought ends and Elijah flees as he is being pursued by the king and queen of the land for all that was done to the Priests of Baal. Next he is told to go to Mt. Horeb, for "The Lord is about to pass by". From his experience at Mt. Horeb he is called to set out and go to Elisha, his soon to be successor.

Notice in this story a continual running and returning. First coming from nowhere, from within the Light Continuum, and being guided to go out and announce the drought, to run into the world and prophesy. From there being told by the Lord to retreat to the wilderness, to return. Then a running to the widow and in a way a return there, a retreat. Next the Lord commands to run to the King and announce the end of the drought. Here, notice there is an action without command of the Lord, the slaying of the Priest of Baal. Notice too, here there is no retreat, he gets sidetracked and doesn't announce the end of the drought as commanded until after the battle with the Priest of Baal. Next, a return, a retreat, as he is told to go to Mt. Horeb where the Lord will pass by. From here, again a running to meet Elisha.

From this example, and seeing into the numerous times Elijah retreats and then runs, running and returning, we can begin to see particular pattern
inherent in the way of a Prophet of God. We can see how essential it is to shift the orientation from thinking of oneself as one from earth to thinking of oneself as being from heaven or the Light Continuum. Also, we can see how important it is to only run from a place of retreat. That, when called by the Lord to engage the people and land, this must come from a retreat, an inward, Godward place. In this way, one is always coming from heaven.

To ground this in our everyday experience perhaps we can contemplate our personal continuum and the various modes of meditation, prayer, worship and ceremony we are called to as being our forms and ways of the retreat, or home base so to say, from which we run out into the world. That to take these up in various forms throughout the day and night we are in a continual mode of running and returning, though from an orientation that views the Light Continuum as home. After all, we are Children of Light who come from the Light Continuum and yet have never left!

O Holy One of Being, empower us to remember where we have come from and to where we are going!

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

Yonah

Re: Running and Returning

#2 Postby Yonah » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Greetings!

Thank you Elder Sarah for this beautiful contemplation.

I really enjoyed your comment in discourse on “what are we running to”?

This seems so pertinent to what you state in this post. Are we following Elijah by running back to the Light Continuum and bringing back Divine Light into the world or are we running somewhere else?

I believe your contemplation also ties into the word for the year of “shifting directions and leaping”. To do this we have to be running back to God to know what adjustments are needed and then we need to step out in faith and gnosis to leap forward to where we are to go.

I hear Mother Spirit giving a message that at this time we need to have an urgency about bringing Light and love to this world. I’m not talking some frantic doing, but being who we truly are in YHWH Elohim – as you pointed out so well, “we are Children of Light who come from the Light Continuum and yet have never left!”

Thank you again, Sister. I see my practice taking up watching where I’m running and what I return with.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#3 Postby Elder Sarah » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:13 am

Shabbat Shalom Yonah!

Blessings in the Grace of the Holy Shekinah!

Thank you for joining with this contemplation the word of the year, "Shifting directions and leaping", which ties very much to making adjustments. Connecting this to running and returning I am hearing a certain speed pointed to. Perhaps in Elijah's example what also strikes me is the speed with which he shifts, turning to run and shifting yet again to return. He does this by closely tuning into the Word of the Lord and through this prompt hearing shifting at a rapid pace. This reminds when we witness the ways of a Holy Person often what most marvels us is the ability within these ones to rapidly shift and turn, we can see this both in the Light Continuum as well as in everyday life.

I am reminded of how a 13speed transmission works. These transmissions move very heavy trucks and how they do it is by having many gears. upon taking off one must shift rapidly through the gears in order to gain any speed. It is interesting this is needed to move something so heavy. Materiality and karmic patterns are heavy! So, perhaps tapping into to the many gears, or directions we have within us gives us a hint at how to get to some speed, some movement, movement that moves patterns. What I mean by speed is energy, being taken up energetically in the Light Continuum. Once one of this trucks is going fifty five down the road they are very hard to slow down! This points to momentum and the power of tending the Continuum, after a while ones pace is rather speedy, especially at shifting and leaping. This seems important to remember, perhaps we have more gears than we think, more possibilities of direction.

Oh Holy One, empower this shifting and help us to leap!

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#4 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Grace and peace to you in Hayyah Yeshua! Amen.

This is a lovely contemplation dear sister, and I find that it just goes and goes with many different layers. Splendid! Of course, I am somewhat partial to Elijah and to Yohanan, so it’s not surprising I’d enjoy a contemplation founded in the story of Elijah. As I was reading this contemplation, and your and Yonah’s comments, a teaching given in studies of the Sefer Yetzirah came to mind: “If your heart runs, return it to the place (Makom).” This naturally has stirred some thoughts I’m inclined to share, hoping that they might contribute to the intention of your message rather than distract from it.

First, the heart is the center of ruach in us, our spirit or intelligence, and it is ruach that is able to unite nefesh and neshamah, our vital soul and heavenly soul; hence, it is through ruach that we become authentic human beings and are able to receive our anointing with Ruach Elohim. Likewise, the two impulses are said to be in our heart, the evil inclination and the good inclination, and it is through ruach that we have the ability to discern between good and evil, and choose good over evil, and to bring the evil inclination into submission to the good inclination.

The heart is also the seat of our inner person, or inner tzaddik, and the indwelling Messiah, and it is the holy sanctuary in which we center ourselves when we go within and live within, and cleave to the Risen Messiah.

In terms of the interior stars, the heart star unites the lower and upper interior stars, and when the heart star is opened and the serpent uplifted, through the heart we are able to feel and remember our true origin, and our innate interconnection with all and with the source of all, the Infinite One.

In this, perhaps we may understand our true heart’s desire, or rather, the “place” of our heart. That true love, and that place, is the kingdom of heaven, and it is in our union with Christ in God; hence, our reintegration with the Infinite and Eternal, the Holy One of Being.

“Place,” Makom, is a Name of God in the Holy Kabbalah, and it is a cognomen of Malkut, or the Holy Shekinah; hence the Kingdom of God and Shekinah.

Returning the heart to it’s place is remembering the goodness and divinity that is in us, and remembering our origin, the Pleroma of Light and the Infinite One – the true kingdom of keaven; and in this remembrance, it is cleaving to the Messiah and the Infinite with full force and passion of our being and life, enacting a full self-offering in love of the Messiah and El Elyon, all for its own sake, all for the joy of it.

Now, speaking of Elijah we may consider Yohanan, and the very essence of the Gospel that he taught. It was this: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near!” Understand, to repent means “to return to God,” and it is the action of returning our heart to its place, Makom.

We can choose to return at anytime, in any moment; it’s all about the presence of awareness and remembering the Holy One, our source and foundation.

With this we may also recall the beautiful teaching Adonai Yeshua gives to Nicodemus, teaching him that to enter into the kingdom of heaven a soul must be reborn from above, reborn of water and Spirit; hence, a soul must awaken and remember that it comes from heaven in order to enter into heaven and reintegrate with God, the True Light.

Now, there is a very simple way to speak of running and returning. Understanding that when the heart runs, or becomes distracted, we become bound up in the surface consciousness and ego, and live only on the surface or in the ego, returning corresponds with going within and living within; hence, reorienting inward and upward, Godward. If we consider it, every time Elijah retreats, having gone out to enact a movement of the Holy Spirit, he returns, he goes within again, and each time he goes deeper still, returning to the One-Without-End. The culmination of this with Elijah, of course, was the whirling wind that took him up into heaven, returning him to the Infinite.

As we know, however, this was not the end of the spiritual labor and mission of this holy and enlightened soul, but rather this righteous one returned to the world reincarnating as Yohanan the Baptist, and he opened the way for the coming of the Messiah and served as the herald of the Messiah, and in his running and returning as Yohanan we may assume he went even deeper within into a greater intimacy and union with the Holy One of Being; hence, his capacity to serve as the holy tzaddik of the Messiah and as the prophet of the Gospel.

Even at the time of his death Yohanan’s work was not finished, but rather, just as he opened the way for the Messiah in the world and went before him as a herald, so also Yohanan descending into Gehennom, the hells, to proclaim the coming of the Messiah, the true kingdom of heaven. Accomplishing his mission, and ascending once again in return to God, the soul of Elijah, Yohanan, uplifted countless spirits and souls in return to God. Praise God!

Elijah, of course, is perfect for the contemplation of running and returning, similar to the Magdalene, for according to masters of the tradition the soul of Elijah continues to run and return between earth and heaven, driven by immeasurable compassion, the desire for the salvation of all, and abides willing to the labor of the harvest of souls until all are uplifted in return to God.

As we speak about Elijah and Yohanan we are speaking about a very ancient holy and enlightened being, but we should not make the mistake of thinking that such great spiritual works and feats that we hear about with him are so far removed from us, or impossible for us. Nothing could be further from the truth, but rather, such holy and enlightened ones reveal the journey of us all, and our true origin in the kingdom of heaven and Holy One, so that we might aspire and seek to take up this Great Work, laboring for the return of all to God, the True Light. Thus, we must have faith, and understand, that the story of enlightenment is our story too, and understand that the foundation of our soul is the divine or enlightened nature in us, inseparable from the Infinite and Primordial One.

To speak of our origin is to speak of our true essence and nature, divine or enlightened being – the I Am; and it is to gaze into three qualities corresponding with Ain, Ain Sof and Or Ain Sof.

These were the thoughts arising that I wished to share.

Shaddai Shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Elder Sarah
Site Admin

#5 Postby Elder Sarah » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 am

Shalom!

Thank you Tau Malachi for adding so much to this contemplation. Praise the Mother spirit for such illuminations!

As I contemplate what has been written much stands out and it stirs many things. I am very intrigued by the reference to the teaching in the Sefer Yetzirah, "If your heart runs, return it to the place", and the connection of heart to Ruach. Can we say Ruach is a center point, just as heart is, between running and returning, though as the center encompasses both? In this way, I am even hearing running and returning a bit different, almost as if it more about abiding in that center place, 'Makom', and as the teaching in the Sefer Yetzirah states, returning to that place when we notice we have left. What this begins to do is shift the possible dualism inherent in the idea of running and returning and encompasses both of them as one movement. While I watch, I am noticing, even to the view of being from heaven and running to earth and returning to heaven has in it a dualism. How separate are heaven and earth? Not very separate!, though consciousness can tend to side with one or the other.

In your mentioning of Yohanan's message being so much about repentance, which is return, I hear an idea of living in accord with the teaching we hear often in the tradition, "To be in the world but not of the world". I hear this teaching expressing a certain way we see inherent with the Prophets, the Prophets to varying degrees seems to maintain a view that very much transcends the world, though, by no means dismisses the world, rather sees the world as it is and does not get caught up in the distractions the world can present, though still engages the world as called. The Prophet of God seems to speak from the place of the heart, which I hear as a discerning heart that remembers its place in the midst of all circumstances. While maintaining this view the Prophet of God interacts with the world, carrying the message intended. There could be no other way a Prophet could be so direct and so to the point, so very poignant. Yeshua seems to speak something of this mystery when he prays for his disciples in the Gospel of John (17:13)

' But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world had hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have send them into the world.'

Yeshua is praying for his disciples that they may be in the world and not of the world, that they may be "Protected from the evil one", that they may have a discerning heart as they complete their missions as they have been sent. I find this prayer of Yeshua's interesting to contrast to what Isaiah prophesies regarding Yohanan,

'Prepare the way of the Lord, make the paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth; and all flesh shat see the salvation of God'.

I hear to return to the heart is to make straight the path. A straight path is a path that encompasses both running and returning, it maintains the straight path even in the midst of valleys, mountains, crooked and rough ways.

Empower us O Holy One of Being to walk the straight path and be as your messengers!

Shalom,
Elder Sarah

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#6 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Grace and peace to you from Adonai Yeshua, the Messiah! Amen.

There is something very interesting concerning the prophets of ancient Israel. While there were a few of the prophets who were distinctly set apart from ordinary life, such as Elijah, and Elisha after him, many of the prophets were not so set apart, but they had families, and worked, and served as prophets to the people. In Judaic spirituality, in fact, there was, and is, a very dynamic weave of the spiritual and material, and, in truth, there isn’t so great a separation between heaven and earth; the aim of the spiritual life is not one over the other, but rather is to join them, or to realize the innate unity of heaven and earth in the human being.

This is not to say that we do not hold the aim of ascension when we depart this life, nor that we do not walk in this world with an awareness of our transcendence; even if in some ways we serve the kingdoms or nations of this world, in all things we serve the kingdom of heaven and God, and our orientation is the kingdom of heaven and God. In this, however, we seek to see God in everything, and seek to enact the will of God in everything; and in this we are the dwelling place of the Living Presence and Spirit of God (El, Elohim), and although we walk on earth the kingdom of heaven is within and all around us, and is our ‘place.’

The truth is that in our soul we can run and return from earth to heaven and back, and run and return from heaven to earth and back, at one and the same time; both are true in this play of running and returning, whether from the perspective of nefesh (earthly soul) or the perspective of neshamah (heavenly soul). As such, then, ruach is the center and unification between these two movements.

In this light, consider what the Gospel of St. Thomas teaches concerning the “sign of the Living Father in us”: It is “movement and rest,” or moving and not-moving. Thus, we run and return, and we do not run and return; so there is running and returning. It’s wild, isn’t it? I’ll bet you have seen this in some of your peak mystical experiences my sister, whether or not it can be put into mental concepts and words. All words on such matters here really are rather crazy!

If I contemplate The Place, ultimately there is one simple answer. The Place, Makom, is the Messiah and Yahweh Elohim, Shaddai, just as we are taught in the Book of Revelation. Thus, to return to The Place, is to return to God, and this we can do right here in this world, and in the afterlife, just the same; so more than returning to earth or heaven, it’s all about returning to the Holy One of Being, our source and foundation, our ‘God.’

That said, let us understand the eighth heaven, or true kingdom of heaven – it is the Messiah, and the Most High (Elyon); hence, it is the enlightenment and liberation of souls, whereas the seven heavens remain more or less in the unenlightened condition – they are not the place of liberation.

Now, abiding in The Place (or The Name, Ha-Shem), we run and return, and in so doing we may uplift sparks and bring souls to the Lord (Yahweh, Yeshua). This, exactly, is the activity of tzaddikim as they run, descend, from their own proper grade and enter into lower grades, and then return, overcoming klippot, husks of darkness, on behalf of others, uplifting sparks and helping others return to God; again and again tzaddikim run and return in this way.

As we know from Jacobs dream of the ladder stretching between heaven and earth, so also do the maggidim, the angels of God.

Remember, the Messiah and Ruach Elohim are seated in our heart, and it is our ruach, centered in our heart, with which Ruach Ha-Kodesh merges, expanding our consciousness and increasing our intelligence, drawing us into God Consciousness – Messianic Consciousness.

These are a few more thoughts that arose that I wished to share.

May all living spirits and souls be blessed to return to the Infinite One! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”