Your Daily Practice

ThisLifeIsIncredible

Your Daily Practice

#1 Postby ThisLifeIsIncredible » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 am

Greetings and shalom!

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm excited. I've studied Sophian Gnosticism for nearly two years, but haven't had a community with which I can interact. For me, my daily practice is most important to me.

Morning meditation and prayers are a ritual. I frequently incorporate yoga pranayama as well. Additionally, I eat a vegan diet, which I believe is very helpful on a spiritual journey.

What are some of the daily habits you use to incorporate spiritual beliefs and daily living?

With gratitude,

David

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Daily Practice

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Welcome to our community, David!

May the Holy One bless you in your searching and finding!

I appreciate your question so much. It's honest and open-ended. We are founded upon a spiritual life and practice of meditation and secluded prayer, study and contemplation, and worship outdoors and indoors, with visible companions and invisible ones as well!

To orient you a bit, please click this link and let me know where it takes you:

http://www.sophian.org/study_&_practices.html.

Feel it all out and share out what draws you and we can be more specific and detailed for you.

I'll look forward to hearing more!

Elder Gideon

ThisLifeIsIncredible

Re: Your Daily Practice

#3 Postby ThisLifeIsIncredible » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Thank you Elder Gideon,

I do primordial meditation, the Kabbalistic Cross, and the Middle Pillar regularly. I occasionally incorporate Parzsuf (sic) and Giving and Healing, but I feel like I struggle with visualizations. However, the breathing practices have helped me feel my inner body tremendously.

My girlfriend is a vegan who is very familiar with Gnostic practices, so I feel like I have a fair amount of support in that regard. I feel like my veganism is very relevant to my spirituality, but it doesn't seem to be emphasized on most paths. I appreciate everything your resources have provided for me already!

David

Kathleen

#4 Postby Kathleen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:12 am

Greetings David,

Welcome to the forum.

I have long been interested in the role of nutrition as a healing tool, and as a factor in spiritual growth. And though I am quite convinced of the important role nutrition plays in physical healing, I am less sure of it's role as regards spiritual growth. Obviously a healthy, energetic body and a clear mind, both of which can be gained through sound nutrition, is important in spiritual practice and spiritual living. But that any one particular way of eating is innately more spiritual than another I have come to doubt.

I have personally experimented with this quite a bit. I spent two years eating nothing but raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, and though I flourished physically, the diet was socially alienating and involved a peculiar preoccupation with food that ultimately seemed a bit excessive. Also during this time I was not engaged in spiritual practice of any kind and can not honestly report any particularly "spiritual" benefits such as growth in compassion, communion with Spirit,or increased sensitivity to what speaks in the inner and outer worlds.

On the other hand. the practices of prayer and meditation, and compassion practices, such as Giving and Receiving, while eating a so-called normal diet including meat, has born fruit of spiritual growth in my life. So in my opinion, spiritual practice and living is much more important than what you eat. Nevertheless, I am still actively interested in the subject of the role of nutrition in our lives as a whole. Granted, I am a bona fide "foodie". I cooked professionally for many years and dearly love everything to do with food. I have also been privileged to assist some in altering their diets for healing and have witnessed vast improvement in health and medical readings, such as blood sugar for the Type 2 diabetic, blood pressure, stomach issues and so on. So I certainly don't think nutrition unimportant.

I want also to say that in my experience, one diet does not fit all, and that it's never good to over-eat, although I sometimes do. Sometimes a simple change in diet can be good, even over-riding the particular form the change may take, as the body responds favorably, most of the time, to short-term changes and a variety of foodstuffs.

Bless your food brother, and eat in faith, and by all means bon appetit!

Kathleen

sheryl
Site Admin

#5 Postby sheryl » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:24 am

Shabbat Shalom!

Welcome to our forum, David! It is good to see you here, and I pray your time with us brings you many blessings.

Having also dabbled a bit in various eating regimens, what you shared Kathleen, about blessing our food, has been found to be the most essential. This is actually an integral part of the Sophian Way - to give thanks and bless all that we take into our body.

Tau Malachi has offered a wonderful teaching at this link on how to eat in holiness.

As you shared, Kathleen, taking care of our body is essential, thereby requiring some us to have dietary restrictions. And while both veganism or vegetarianism are not an essential part of our lineage's spiritual practicing, they can be found among our spiritual family. These are related to personal preferences and can assist in spiritual living by meeting our bodies' unique needs in order to function optimally.

The most important aspect of eating that I have found, though, is giving thanks and blessing our food, eating in holiness as Tau Malachi teaches at the above link.

Shalom!

Sheryl

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”