Shabbat: Saturday, Sunday, or any Day?

Aaron

Shabbat: Saturday, Sunday, or any Day?

#1 Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:51 pm

In the last few weeks I have taken an interest in studying the origins of Shabbat. I am not an attorney, scholar or author on the matters of Shabbat. Yet, the conversation about the benefits to Shabbat's observance has been intriguing me. The Commandment to observe Shabbat as Shabbat on the Seventh Day is becoming the object of my mind's attention.

I find the Hebrew Scriptures on this matter (Shabbat) to also be enlightening. Yet, also confusing or conflicting with my own attitude and belief that Shabbat can occur any One Day in the work week one has a day off to rest. I am impressed by the reach of the observance of the Shabbat Commandment given to the Israelites flowing over to animals, slaves, strangers, and foreigners with the Israelites. In the Hebrew Scriptures Shabbat is repeatedly regarded to be remembered perpetually.

We can also find throughout the Messianic Scriptures instances where the first Apostles and disciples observed Shabbat. The Apostles and disciples took their lead from the Master of Shabbat, our Lord, Yeshua. Yeshua observed Shabbat, attending the Synagogues and teaching within them. He did break the Pharisaic fences constructed around the Torah concerning Shabbat, but He kept the Shabbat, and all was in alignment with Hebraic Prophecy of the coming Messiah. It was His custom to befuddle all the man-made regulations around and about Torah so it seems only consistent to ruffle feathers also on Shabbat.

A bulk of examples exist in the book of Acts for the Apostles observing Shabbat on the Seventh Day. In the Western world call the Seventh Day is "Saturday", or more specifically from an Hebraic perspective Friday evening to Saturday evening.

According to Christian Church history the shift to the Lord's Day (Sunday) did not begin to occur until after the deaths of the first Apostles (about 113 AD). This shift was solidified by Roman decree and Anti-Semitism near and after the times of the Nicean Council (325 AD).

All of this said, I am curious why the Early Fathers (who came after the first Apostles, and were converts out of dualistic-Gnosticism), Eusebius, Constantine and the Council of Nicea have approved of the shift from Saturday to Sunday? Who has the Authority to shift such a day? Why the Church would continue to observe a Sunday Shabbat? Why Protestants carry forth this Sunday Shabbat in their 'protest'? Why Christians who observe the Shabbat proper are labeled Judaizers, Sabbatarians, and Sabbath-Keepers?

Finally, why do we Sophian Gnostics maintain and sustain a Sunday Shabbat?

Considering we are Christian Kabbalist whom pull heavily from our Jewish roots-- Yeshua being Himself an observant, mystical Jew.

A curious little booger from Marysville California,

Brother Aaron
Yours Truly,
Brother Aaron

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Shabbat: Saturday, Sunday, or any Day?

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 am

Shalom,

From a Christian perspective the scriptural foundation of Shabbat on Sunday would be the resurrection and the awareness of the Messiah as Lord of the Shabbat. On a practical basis, however, Shabbat involves the gathering of Anointed Community, and as such there needs to be a chosen, agreed upon day of the week for the celebration of Shabbat. In our lineage and tradition Sunday works very well for us.

More than the history of the Shabbat, honestly it's the practice of the Shabbat the draws our focus - it's a central practice to us.

In this light, we may recall a teaching of Thomas:

"If you do into fast from the world you will not find the kingdom. If you do nto observe the Shabbat as Shabbat you will not see the Father" (Saying 27).

Blessings!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”