Mental Silence

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Mental Silence

#1 Postby Tau Malachi » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:23 pm

In answer to a question:

Frequently the first and most essential key to the development of the spiritual life and practice is completely overlooked - the cultivation of mental silence. Yet, without this, any significant advancement in Self-realization becomes vitually impossible. Apart from silence, how does one enter into meditation? I may practice meditation, but apart from silence I'm not meditating, at least not according to the true meaning of this term in spiritual practice. Silence is the first step in meditation.

At the outset we seek to quite the mind. A quiet mind, in essence, is one in which we are gathered into an inner mental consciousness, which perceives thoughts from the outer mental consciousness, but does not feel it is thinking or in any way identifying itself with them. Thoughts may occur and pass through, but they are like clouds in the sky, and one is identified with the sky.

Silence is something more, it is a banishing of thoughts altogether from the inner mental consciousness so that there are no thoughts in it; or else the silence comes from above and pervades the mind, suspending thought and thinking. The inner consciousness becomes like a zone of silence into which thoughts do not enter, rather like a clear sky without any clouds.

Both the quiet mind and silent mind are distinct in meditative experience, the silent mind typically following after the development of the quite mind.

The silent witness practice and primordial meditation are both practices that can lead to this development of the quiet and silence. Without this mastery of the mind or self-mastery is impossible, and so also is the greater self-transformation.

Tau Elijah once said, "Mental silence if the key to everything good."

It is peace of mind and a great sanctuary in a very real sense.

May Mother Wisdom grant us peace, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Rebekah

#2 Postby Rebekah » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:40 am

Shalom!

I had never considered 'peace of mind' in this context. Too often we seem to settle for a kind of self-satisfaction, or for the absence of conflict, and think of this as peace and contentment (another word to contemplate). There are so many messages hidden in plain sight!

Rebekah

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Lasting Peace

#3 Postby Tau Malachi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 pm

Indeed! Yet here, in Ignorance, folks rush off to war while claming they "seek peace." When this sort of "peace" is attained, it does not last but ends in the next war for the sake of "peace." Of course, this is simply the externalization of the violence or conflict in us, the only end to which comes from within - it comes from acquiring true peace, a lasting peace, and for that we require a silent mind and still vital which will bring us into Repose.

We can also say this of true peace, it brings true joy.

May the Mother reveal in us the peace and joy of the Risen Savior, amen.

Blessings & shalom! :)
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

crystal

silence from above

#4 Postby crystal » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:52 pm

In your post Tau Malachi, one sentence caused a focus of attention over the rest of the post: "...the silence comes from above and pervades the mind...." This is how I would describe something that happens, not always, but sometimes in meditation, it is like a zing that goes through my head and all thought stops. It lasts only a few seconds, but everything is suspended for those brief seconds. I would add that I receive it as a blessing, since my erratic or wayward thoughts are instantly arrested. I can then look at where my thoughts were and see that I am not in the place I wish to be.
I am not sure that this is an interpretation that you would put to these words, but this is how I took in your words.
Shalom

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

From Above

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:28 am

Greetings Crystal!

"From above" means from Grace, as though not from anything we have actually done - sitting in meditation it just happens. "Pervading" means this silence seems to be a quality of the Nature of Mind, a quality of the very ground from which all arises.

There can, indeed, be an experience of silence with thoughts, as well as silence without thoughts - as strange as that might sound before someone experiences it. The experience you share seems to have the quality of the silence with thoughts - it does have an interesting capacity to "order the mind" and to naturally dispel negativity.

In speaking about experiences in meditation words are always a bit awkward - it seems with words we can only point, but having something of the experience through words it can be recognized.

May the Grace of the Mother bring us peace, amen.

Blessings & shalom!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”