Zakor Shalom

Mark

Zakor Shalom

#1 Postby Mark » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:55 pm

"Zakar Shalom" (Remember Peace), Tau Malachi's parting words at the end of each online discourse is something I surely need to remember. With a nervous system that is overly sensitive to arousal and anxiety which influences my blood pressure, I often find myself forgetting instead of remembering the peace. Then there are fears that I am ruining the blessings I have already received and I seem to create more tension to find the calmness again. The habit of trying too hard as a doer to remove habits that are negative gets in the way of the state of being that naturally releases the obstructions. When there is enough awareness of this pattern and I am able to just stop, wait, and to feel attuned to the healing energy of Yeshua and Magdalene again, the experience of simply abiding returns and usually brings the evidence of blood pressure measurements that are healthier. My journey seems to be a continuing cycle of forgetting peace and remembering peace. I give thanks for Tau Malachi's teachings and the inspirational offerings of this community that help me remember.

Zakar Shalom,
Mark

Anna

Re: Zakar Shalom

#2 Postby Anna » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Dear Brother,

Indeed, what a dance! To remember peace does seem to require forgetting it... I hear that you are being shown the power of the practice as you discover the lowered blood pressure that occurs when you remember your unity with Holy One, with Life. How often I find myself resisting my Beloved, the Shekinah who appears in endless variety, with faces that frighten and faces that calm, and faces that make me laugh for pure joy! Yet it is this very dance with wholeness to which we are called. Tau Malachi once spoke of the wisdom of "not taking sides" for only then are we open to the vision of Splendor, the fullness of life. So we dance, a dangerous tango, a blissful waltz, a happy jig--on and on the dance goes and we move with it or resist until we are empowered to move again.
Praise God for the dance of life! Always we are in our Beloved's arms, whether we remember or forget and remember again.

Shabbat Eve Shalom!
Anna

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Zakar Shalom

#3 Postby Elder Gideon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Shabbat Shalom!

I too relate very much with you all for the gratitude of Zakor Shalom, remembering Shalom. The Jewish tradition of remembering is intricate and rich. Remembering is everything. When I forget, I forget myself. When I remember, I remember myself.

Rabbi Joseph Gikatilla's classic Gates of Light (Sha'are Orah) speaks on multiple occasions of the mysticism of Hashem's command to remember (zakar) the Shabbat and keep (shamor) it holy (Exodus 20:8). He applies this dynamism of remembering and keeping to Yesod and Malkut respectively. Zakar is Yesod and Shamor is Malkut.

What I appreciate about linking this remembering with Yesod is how it interacts with desire. I never forget what I desire. Never. Not one date with someone attactive, when a package is due to arive, or when tickets go on sale for something long-awaited. I remember such mundane things with effortless concentration. Yesod is this this desire center within us all. I remember as I most deeply identify.

As Tau closes with Zakar Shalom, I hear a focusing of desire energy, a call to remember what is most truly desired. To what this closing blessing calls is Peace. This is more than a cliché or truism. The depth of Shalom is primordial, pre-existent of Creation, is something of the Enlightenment experience in unification with the One. It is the Gnostic sense of Pleroma, or Fullness. Having this and one has everything. Lacking this and one lacks everything. To remember Peace is to remember the satisfaction already present, the resolution of all concerns already present, the completeness of my inner being already indwelt by Messiah.

Keeping this remembrance is an actionable task, a commitment manifest from one's life display: Malkut. I need to keep this like I already keep my wallet, my car keys, my cell phone with me together at all times, never out of my sight or awareness. I don't go or leave anywhere without some physical sense of their being with me. This is but the surface of keeping, which rabbis like Gikatilla teach is tending Malkut. First, the desire to remember, then the memory of keeping.

May people of all lands choose to remember and keep peace.

Elder Gideon

sheryl
Site Admin

Re: Zakar Shalom

#4 Postby sheryl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:24 am

Shalom dear friends!

What a lovely contemplation to begin this day!

I very much appreciate the gratitude that has been shared, as well as the connection between desire and remembering. Surely it is our desire that allows a new thought or behavior to begin to penetrate! It seems to take a bit of time for a new behavior to be established, but the joy that we encounter when the new behavior is remembered seems to bring remembrance even faster next time.

Something you said, Sister Anna, speaks to the cause of my own anxiety - when I was attached or averse to one side of things. Not taking sides is a beautiful thought, for it aids in remembering that our dualistic mentality, this is better than that, does seem to bring on much anxiety.

So perhaps we can say that desire can both be a culprit and a solution?

This past Shabbat, we discoursed on compassion and dominion, offering a new insight into compassion. Before my understanding of compassion was linear, limited - simply the recognition of suffering and the desire to bring that suffering to an end. During discourse, I heard that true compassion requires an expansion of awareness, one that sees and understands the cycles of mercy and severity in the becoming of a living spirit or soul. And so compassion is now seen as the desire for illumination or for the quickening of the cycles of becoming, so that that all suffering, not just present suffering, will be brought to an end. And this quickening is the Messiah!

I can now see how anxiety arose in the past with a sincere desire for the end or avoidance of suffering, for self and for others. This desire though was limited, thus arising accompanied by anxiety, even fear - or desire for one side of things, for self and for others.

With an expanded awareness, our heart, our compassion, can likewise expand, bringing an understanding of the cycles in becoming. And so desire becomes uplifted, extending beyond the present moment. And so when I hear Zakor Shalom, I hear in part Remember the Messiah, who is the Prince of Peace, bringing the cessation of all suffering.

Zakor Shalom!

Sheryl

Yonah

Re: Zakor Shalom

#5 Postby Yonah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Greetings!

I have been contemplating the word Shalom this last week and have found this thread really beautiful. I hear Shalom as a greeting, but also a blessing and a prayer. We greet people with "Peace" but it seems that there is so much more because we are also inviting Peace into their consciousness, asking for Peace to come upon them and for Peace to be bestowed by the Holy One.

The letters for Shalom are so interesting too, being a Shin, Lamed, Vav, and Mem. I'm not an expert on Hebrew but heard something of the Fiery Shekinah (Shin) being taught/given (Lamed) to and pinned (Vav) to the water (Mem). I can see the Mem as the Lower Waters as spoken of in Zohar that are in creation and I can see the Mem as blood (as in the name Adam). So maybe Peace truly comes when we embody Shekinah and for the world when She is embodied in all.

These are some thoughts I had and would love to hear more from anyone who has more Hebrew experience than I and can take this deeper.

Shalom!
Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”