Dark Night

Yonah

Dark Night

#1 Postby Yonah » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:12 pm

In a post about Dark Night in the Guadalupe forum, Elder Gideon states:
Dark nights in my experience are periods where I'm confronting that of which I'm not conscious, what moves in my "blind spots." Periods like this are tricky to surface consciousness, which naturally feels so uncomfortable, unmotivated, or agitated by the unknown.

Your connecting this with the Divine Mother is rich, for She personifies embodiment, process and becoming. How uncomfortable, disorienting, and uncertain is pregnancy.

I’ve read and reread this post several times over the last few months. As someone who has been passing through something of a dark night, it has been so true and so helpful to hear these words.

It’s so interesting how the dark night sneaks up on you… when you think you have processed or believe that you have worked through something and then this “blind spot” slithers to the surface just out of sight. It can be a terrifying time because there is so much unknown and so much happening under the surface that it’s really unclear where things are going or how they will resolve.

The imagery of pregnancy of our Mother is so powerful and so true of this process. My experience is that no matter how difficult the dark night and how confusing, in the end something is birthed. The question is what will we birth and then how will we raise this child? The teachings of our Tradition, using the 3 roots and 6 essentials, silent witness, giving and receiving, and so many others are what help us bring the dark night from the unknown and unrealized into something that can be used for the good.

I would welcome any other insights or practices that would be helpful for the dark night and assist us all in our seeing the good.

Shalom, Yonah
Shalom,
Yonah
EPS Columbus Gathering

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

Re: Dark Night

#2 Postby Tau Malachi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Grace and peace to you in Messiah Yeshua, Adonai!

First, concerning what’s traditionally meant by the phrase “dark nights of the soul,” these mark transitions between various grades of spiritual realization, and as such correspond with great klippot, barriers, that need to be overcome. Essentially, having experienced a significant gradation of nearness to God, or unification with God, for a period of time, there are these experiences of dark nights that arise when there is what seems like a severe regression, or fall into a lower grade and klippot, and what feels like a removal from the presence of God, as though the presence of God withdraws from us, plunging us, as it were, into dullness and darkness. This is a natural effect, however, after experiencing a new peak in consciousness and greater nearness to God, for naturally with the passage of some time we integrate the new gradation of consciousness and intelligence, and we begin to sense, glimpse, an even higher, more expanded grade of consciousness and greater intelligence beyond our present grade, and we become aware of the possibility of a greater nearness, making our current experience feel very removed or distant from God. These are the dark nights of the soul, and in them we are working out all that prevents the next progression of our soul, the next evolution and ascent of our consciousness, overcoming whatever klippot, barriers, there may be to our ongoing spiritual realization.

Joined with these there are also times we go astray and fall to a lower grade, or fall into klippot, and likewise times in life, because of circumstances, when we descend from our own proper grade and are vulnerable to klippot in a time of weakness, such as in the midst of severe suffering or illness; hence, along with actual dark nights of the soul there are these dark times, times of trials and tribulations that come in life, either because of sin, error, or natural flows of situations, circumstances and events in life, or a combination of both together. Regardless, though, our response is the same; in the midst of a dark times we keep the faith, trusting in the Lord to see us through, and likewise we repent and turn to the Lord with even greater zeal, taking refuge in the Lord through prayer and meditation, and contemplation, waiting upon the Spirit of the Lord, while we take action to workout whatever internal klippot may be arising. These are the times that it is most important to abide in our faith, live according to our faith, and pray and meditate each day, actively opening to the Holy Light and Spirit from above, actively “turning to the Lord.”

In spirituality we learn to go within and live within, and strive always to go deeper still, with the conscious intention of receiving ever greater influxes of the Holy Light and Spirit; and whenever we encounter dark nights, or dark times, these are times to strive to go deeper still, times to strive to ascend to a higher grade of soul, or consciousness and intelligence. If we will, regardless of the dullness and darkness we may be experiencing, eventually the Spirit will take action and will uplift us to a higher grade, but we must be willing to strive for as long as it takes, willing to wait upon the Spirit of the Lord until it is God’s will that we are taken up.

The right focus in spiritual practice will depend upon what’s happening, and it is not always the same from one time to another, nor from one individual to another; it’s like in medicine, there needs to be a right diagnosis of what’s happening and a right antidote applied, the right practice in response to what’s happening. As an example, if very encumbered, at minimum we can just sit, engaging in primordial meditation often. If there is significant physical, or mental-emotional suffering involved, so we can engage giving and receiving. In the midst of whatever’s happening there is the practice of seeing the good and cultivating joy, joined with the Three Roots; but a specific focus will depend upon what is happening. In this regard we can seek guidance from the Holy Spirit and the wisdom of our experience, and likewise, we can seek guidance from our tzaddik; receiving guidance, though, from the Spirit or our tzaddik, it is very important that we follow it exactly, and in good faith.

Now understand, in the Path of Return we encounter various layers of klippot, husks, habitual unconscious patterns that bind the soul. At first we encounter gross klippot, glaring klippot, but then progressively more subtle and sublime klippot, glowing klippot. At the outset the more subtle and sublime klippot may not even be klippot to us, but in fact may be somewhat useful at the time, and so are not recognized as klippot, but then later they are klippot to us and are recognized as such. Likewise, we will find more subtle manifestations of klippot that we may have been laboring to overcome all the while; regardless, as klippot arise and are recognized, so we strive to overcome them, dispel them, and extract the sparks from them, reintegrating those sparks of our soul with the Holy Light and Spirit of God. This is an ongoing labor of a lifetime, even numerous lifetimes, and ultimately this labor is accomplished, completed, by the Spirit - Divine Grace.

As perhaps you might imagine we will use many and diverse remedies to overcome the klippot we encounter and it is something of a creative affair in faith and love, seeking a conscious response to what we encounter, all in the wisdom of skillful means.

In the midst of a dark night of the soul, or dark times, remember that God is always with you, though, for this is a most essential key, and so seek to see the good - God, within and behind what’s happening, dancing with the Holy Shekinah within what’s transpiring; hence, abide in faith.

These are a few thoughts I can share in the moment.

May we remember and embody the Way, Truth and Light, even in the midst of great darkness, and may God help us do so! Amen.

Shalom Aleichem!
Tau Malachi
Sophia Fellowship
Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Aj1

#3 Postby Aj1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:00 am

Hi
One feature I note is the way such experiences pressure into introspection...The focus ratchets up and like rythm insists, how can I escape, how can I resolve, how can I recover etc. It's like light sharpening into a laser, though it's not easy I have found to be generous in prayers and work, shifting the perspective into how can I still be helpful, how can I serve gently opens up the iris and defuses the trap of feeling selfish and egotistical. Though a basic routine of self care and healing also ensures optimum effectiveness to be of use.

Vitriolic15

#4 Postby Vitriolic15 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Shalom,

This strikes me as I have been going though a dark night/dark times for the past 5 or 6 years. A lot has happened in my life both good and bad and I have to admit that my studies and faith have become muddled and misplaced. I come and go, wax and wane with zeal but it is always fleeting. I have been more drawn lately to the darker, wrathful path. I am unsure why presently but I feel like it is something I have avoided and need to search out within. I have always been drawn to the "darker" side of life, this could be a clue. My current mental/emotional state is one of turmoil with moments of joy that seem to fade quickly. I am starting with primordial meditation again and will add in giving and receiving. I have a yearning to become more active in the community again but the pull of day to day is strong and wears on me. At times I find it hard to keep any form of faith and almost welcome and embrace the darkness that I feel within. Perhaps this is something I must do in order to integrate more fully. The song "In A Dark Place' by Gary Numan comes to mind.

"Sometimes I call out for you, and sometimes I'm afraid

So I ask for
One small mercy?
But it whispers 'Who are you?'

So I ask God
If He can save me?
He says 'It's all too dark"

Sums up a bit of how i'm feeling...

I hope this sharing will be of help to others who feel lost as well...

Thank you for listening.

Jeff

Tau Malachi
Site Admin

#5 Postby Tau Malachi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:58 am

Shalom Jeff,

If you're finding yourself attracted to something of the wrathful palace, perhaps you might wish to take up a practice of union with partzuf with Kali Imma and Kali Shemesh - the Black Madonna and Child. One of the practices with Kali Imma is given in the Order of St. Michael forum; you could take it up as given, or practice an essential simple form. That, joined with giving and receiving meditation, might be useful to you at this time.

You are in my heart and prayers.

Blessings!
Tau Malachi

Sophia Fellowship

Ecclesia Pistis Sophia

Vitriolic15

#6 Postby Vitriolic15 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will go over the meditations and see what Ma has to share with me. With the new moon coming up, this is perhaps a great time to connect.

Shalom,
Jeff

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”