Four enemies

JamesNielsen570

Four enemies

#1 Postby JamesNielsen570 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Greetings!

I have recently been contemplating the teaching on the four enemies as taught in Gnosis of Guadalupe. It states that the four enemies one must face on the journey to knowledge-gnosis is first fear, then clarity, power, and finally old age and death. I have notice at the outset of my so far short journey that , at times, all of these enemies seem present in my experience (with the exception of death, of course). It is quite overwhelming and I notice my outer expressions being distorted and not in line with what my intentions would like them to be. This, of course is quite confusing.

I wonder am I just stuck in fear? Not yet overcome it so when I sense some sort of clarity I fall back into it? Or is it possible to experience/face all these enemies at once?

I am truly grateful for this opportunity.
"May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Ya'akov protect you;" Palms 20:1

Elder Gideon
Site Admin

Four enemies

#2 Postby Elder Gideon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:16 pm

Shalom James:

I appreciate your question about fear, as it's the first enemy we meet in a spiritual journey that encounters actual energy. Many who speak of experiences with the Divine in only luminous and affirming ways have unlikely met the Divine. The Most High is intensely overwhelming at first. If it were otherwise, why are so many prophets and tzaddikim told basically to get up? Why does Moses speak of God as a devouring fire, a jealous God (Deuteronomy 4:24)? Consider how in the Gospel of Thomas Yeshua would speak Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. To genuinely meet an angel, let alone the LORD, is to first feel fear.

When we remember the psalm,

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.
His praise endures for ever
(Psalm 111:10),

we're taught that fear is authentic, so long as what we most fear is the LORD. To feel fear of anything else is understandable to a point, but that fear must be raised in prayer to the LORD, inviting and welcoming the Most High into this fear, that it be dissolved into the truth of its emptiness: its nothingness: its ain. This is our faith in the Most High, whom alone we are to fear.

What you've cited from the Gnosis of Guadalupe, the teaching on the Four Enemies, goes much deeper into this mystery as a process. It's not sequential, as you're asking, but it's arraying a process by which one comes to true, enlightening knowledge, what the Gospel of St. Thomas calls to reign over all. To compare and contrast what Yeshua teaches in verse 2 of Thomas with these Four Enemies is itself a very helpful contemplation and guidance in your inquiry into fear.

May you come to greater understanding, dear brother.

There's nothing but the LORD to fear.
May the praise of the LORD endure forever.

Elder Gideon

JamesNielsen570

Re: Four enemies

#3 Postby JamesNielsen570 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank you for this contemplation!

I am hearing the difference between experiencing God a force integrated with oneself as opposed to something separate. As I have moved forward on my journey I have mistaken the fear of myself, as in facing myself, as some sort of fear of God. To truly know the fear of God one must be empty to receive the Divine. In facing myself I have realized that I don't like myself very much, inasmuch as, who I am on an egoistic level. I thought I was regressing but, instead, I am becoming more aware of what this shell of ego that I have built is.

I am reminded of Jacob's struggle:

22. That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservents, and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of Jabbok. 23. After he had sent them across he sent over all his possessions. 24. So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.[i] Genesis 32:22-24

Jacob sent everything ahead and was left alone and only then could he face his struggle. Then later through persistence finds his blessing.

Or the book of James:

[i]22. Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
James 1:22-24

May I and all who are searching not be deceived by ourselves.
"May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Ya'akov protect you;" Palms 20:1

Return to “The Gnostic Path: Spiritual Life & Practice”